PDA

View Full Version : Youtube - Is it being used for good or bad?

RandomManJay
09-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Youtube is being used for many things since its revolution into a part of functioning society; many negative examples consist of: prejudicial rants, online cults and true self expression. But are all these beneficial for society? Some biased users would have never have been heard if Youtube never existed, so is it good or bad that they're being heard spouting their racist and biased views for the world to see? From one person and their attempt to show the world what they see has created waves of groups such as online self harmers whom despite many supporters, may also be causing harm to those who are triggered by such videos (despite their warnings) as well as causing more self harmers to develop, is it good or bad that Youtube is being used for this? And is it beneficial that the moderators are marginally incapable of monitoring the videos being uploaded, and when they finally do, they are too late to prevent anything (Pekka-Eric Auvinen, the Finnish School Massacre and the copycat after effects).

I'd like to note that I hold no value to whether Youtube is good or bad, I just find this topic interesting, and I admit I that am a continuous user myself. Feel free to share your opinions, and feel free to use positive examples if you like, I am only focusing on the negative examples and whether Youtube should be used like this.

Suzie
09-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Despite all the negative videos on youtube
Its being put to good use with entertaining videos of the worlds biggest ****s.

Such as:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWIxqJu9gAM

Barmi
09-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Verbal communication is open to just as much abuse.

09-02-2009, 02:55 AM
I think for the most part, youtube has had a positive outcome. There will always be idiots that post themselves being racist on the internet. Whether it being on youtube or their own website.

PaulMacC
09-02-2009, 06:30 AM
It's good, there is alot of people on it, most of them buy camcorders/capture cards/webcams thats more money coming into the system, it also entertains alot of people.

Melsia
09-02-2009, 09:26 AM
I think that it's good.

People put up a lot of entertaining videos on there and most people use it with good intentions.

Janet Snakehole
09-02-2009, 03:39 PM
i'd be lost without youtube, as sad as that sounds :)

RedStratocas
09-02-2009, 03:58 PM
there is just as much freedom for people to be racist in regular verbal conversations. youtube is just a reflection of what's already out in the real world.

Casual
09-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Despite all the negative videos on youtube
Its being put to good use with entertaining videos of the worlds biggest ****s.

Such as:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWIxqJu9gAM

LOL at that video!

and yeah half n half really

Agnostic Bear
09-02-2009, 10:39 PM
I'd say youtube is being used for video streaming.

10-02-2009, 12:45 AM
LOL at that video!

and yeah half n half really
I wouldnt say that half of the videos are bad :P

But for example, cant remember the band but they're really well known, the singer died, but they werent ready to quit. So they tried out hundreds of singers and couldnt get a singer with the same sound as the first one. So they went on youtube and saw someone who posted covers of himself singing their songs and hes now the singer of the band, basically overnight.

AmericanRanger
10-02-2009, 11:31 AM
I think it's mainly been a possitive outcome, you will always get immature ranting idiots no matter what you go on. Take Habbo for example, don't tell me nobody says anything racist? All the moderators can do on sites is try and keep up with what goes on but with the amount of users that use YouTube I can see it could be a problem. However you can't just say YouTube got it wrong just because they have more users? It's up to the users to flag up the videos for the moderators to deal with. Just like a user on Habbo has to use the CFH to report something.

leah
10-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Half and Half
Theres this well hot guy that makes videos lol
called Mac or sumin and most of his are funny
then theres some people who sing and end up getting record deals,
I watched youtube live once too and that was good :D

Charlie
10-02-2009, 12:48 PM
It's half and half really, isn't it? You have record labels upload music videos so that the artist/band gets noticed which will lead to more singles/albums being bought and you have people uploading their own made videos which gets them notice so they become a little e-famous but then at the same time you have people uploading videos which are bad whether it's because it's someone is offending a person/group of people or whether it's triggering to a certain group of people.

I'm sure Youtube do have people working hard to make sure that the good stay and the bad go but there is probably thousands of videos being uploaded daily, thousands of people viewing videos daily so they can't really stop everyone uploading/viewing these videos at the same time, they have to find them first.

I hope that made sense, I found it hard to try and word it. :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!