PDA

View Full Version : Legalization of Marijuana?

Demynx
10-02-2009, 04:19 PM
I have lots a friends at school that vary their opinions on cannabis, some say it should be legalized, some say it shouldn't, and some are mixed with how and when, but what do you think?

lew!
10-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Personally, I think if you are addicted to it then yeah, illegal. However if you're not and you can have the occasional bit then yeah its fine.
Long term, it hasn't been proven but there's theory's of it causing long term damage.

But isn't this the case with alcohol? OK the effects of alcohol is that it makes you more confident.. But too much makes you aggressive and start fights.

Whereas Marijuana relaxes you and chills you out and makes you laugh a lot.
and you don't get problems if you only have it very rarely. If you relied on it then yeah
obviously there's going to be problems but like alcohol, one glass of wine a day is good for you but getting smashed every night is gonna damage you!

Loser
10-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Won't happen as it's just been increased to a class B, I believe.

Fifteen
10-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Marijuana is now a class B drug because of the long term effects, I think it should be illegal.

lew!
10-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Marijuana is now a class B drug because of the long term effects, I think it should be illegal.

Yeah, can I ask why you think it should be illegal? I'm just curious because debates can get very interesting, as everything has pros and cons!

Alkaz
10-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Its stupid saying if your addicted then make it illegal, people will become additced if it is legalized. Keep it illegal, if there is a reason why someone needs it then it will be prescribed by a doctor in certain circumstances. I have seen several peoples lives ruined because of cannibis and they thought it didnt effect them and there not addicted and still carry on smoking it so ye, definately not.

kuzkasate
10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Won't happen as it's just been increased to a class B, I believe.

Yes thats true even though I dont see much point in this... Anyway I think legal.

The Cullens
10-02-2009, 05:22 PM
It shouldn't be legalized, depending on what situation someone has been given it for(if it can cure illnesses, i don't know anything about it, then yeah).

Kyle!
10-02-2009, 05:24 PM
It shouldn't be illegal, it has been proven that it's less dangerous than alcohol...

FlyingJesus
10-02-2009, 05:30 PM
No, economic reasons blah blah blah tax difficulties blah effort

RedStratocas
10-02-2009, 05:47 PM
i find it incredible that people think marijuana is addicting. i, and many of my friends have been smoking weed for a while and all of us can go on and off it as we please. ive taken a break from smoking for weeks because i wasnt in the mood/didnt really have the opportunity, and its not like i was craving it.

i can understand the argument about tax reasons, but no one has been able to explain to me why alcohol which has killed many people and ruined many lives is legal, but weed which has never killed anyone is illegal.

Virgin Mary
10-02-2009, 05:51 PM
It virtually is legal, I see people standing in the street smoking it. If it makes people schizos then it's their problem like people who smoke. If they die then they had it coming.

alexxxxx
10-02-2009, 05:56 PM
should be legal. criminalises people who do nothing wrong apart from smoke weed. it's proven not to be as addictive as cigarettes.

LoveToStack
10-02-2009, 05:56 PM
I said no because the situation is fine as it is in my opinion.

buttons
10-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Personally, I think if you are addicted to it then yeah, illegal. However if you're not and you can have the occasional bit then yeah its fine.
what lol

i find it incredible that people think marijuana is addicting. i, and many of my friends have been smoking weed for a while and all of us can go on and off it as we please. ive taken a break from smoking for weeks because i wasnt in the mood/didnt really have the opportunity, and its not like i was craving it.

i can understand the argument about tax reasons, but no one has been able to explain to me why alcohol which has killed many people and ruined many lives is legal, but weed which has never killed anyone is illegal.
same i can smoke weed every weekend for a few month then stop smoking it for a while and can just smoke it whenever it's not as though i need it, it's hardly addicting.
anyway i don't mind if it's legal or illegal i'd still smoke it regardless

Alkaz
10-02-2009, 06:03 PM
should be legal. criminalises people who do nothing wrong apart from smoke weed. it's proven not to be as addictive as cigarettes.
It only criminalises people because its illegal.
+ To the argument that it is not addictive, its because you are not smoking it daily, once a week or a few times a months. Alot of people smoke a hell of a lot more than that in a day and do, get addicted to it. Someone in my immediate family used to spend around £30 a day on cannibis.

shizzle
10-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Some show on BBC 2 Horizon something was talking about it, I'd say no.

drama
10-02-2009, 06:06 PM
illegal because they would tax it SO hard

a 20 deck of **** is around £5, and £4 of that is goverment tax so imagine how hard they would tax weed it woulpd take the piss lol

Ashley 12344
10-02-2009, 06:36 PM
It'd be weaker as well.
I'm happy how it is now. I can get hold of it 12 hours a day, strong and tax free.

Wizzdom
10-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Silly discussion really...

Of course it should be illegal.

Nixt
10-02-2009, 06:54 PM

It is known for people to become psychologically addicted to the drug, rather than physically - as with smoking. This is well known especially in long-term use of the drug.

I personally believe it should remain illegal. It is known to have long term affects particularly in terms of an individual's mental health. Also each '******' is proven to be worse than one cigarette when it comes to the lungs (I think I heard that one in an army briefing somewhere...)

RedStratocas
10-02-2009, 07:28 PM
It only criminalises people because its illegal.
+ To the argument that it is not addictive, its because you are not smoking it daily, once a week or a few times a months. Alot of people smoke a hell of a lot more than that in a day and do, get addicted to it. Someone in my immediate family used to spend around £30 a day on cannibis.

last semester i smoked a bowl to my face every day (i kinda went overboard on the whole "being on my own & having a lot of money" thing) but i barely smoked at all winter break. maybe 2 or three times in a month. this semester so far ive only smoked a few times. i havent had cravings, i havent gotten headaches, nothing. marijuana is less addicting than coffee. its almost purely psychological.

most police around where i live dont even care. my roommate was caught smoking a joint in penn station yesterday by police, and all they made him do was throw it away. probably because they have better things to do like go after real criminals like murderers, rapists and reckless drivers than someone who isnt hurting anyone in any way.

back to my other point: if marijuana is illegal, why isnt alcohol? its far worse for you and society as a whole.

It is known for people to become psychologically addicted to the drug, rather than physically - as with smoking. This is well known especially in long-term use of the drug.

I personally believe it should remain illegal. It is known to have long term affects particularly in terms of an individual's mental health. Also each '******' is proven to be worse than one cigarette when it comes to the lungs (I think I heard that one in an army briefing somewhere...)

well who has just one cigarette a day? people smoke 5, 10, a whole pack maybe 2 every day. not many people smoke any more than a joint a day, hell most people dont even do that.

10-02-2009, 08:38 PM
People that are teenagers and want it legalized are seriously ******ed.
Becuase tehy dont realize that if its legalized that they will make it so you have to be 18 to smoke them and buy them anyway. Also itll be taxed so itll be more money. And it will be harder to get since your underage.
idc if its legal or not tbh cause I dont smoke

RedStratocas
10-02-2009, 08:58 PM
People that are teenagers and want it legalized are seriously ******ed.
Becuase tehy dont realize that if its legalized that they will make it so you have to be 18 to smoke them and buy them anyway. Also itll be taxed so itll be more money. And it will be harder to get since your underage.
idc if its legal or not tbh cause I dont smoke

all true, but the question is would it be illegal to grow yourself? it isnt incredibly difficult to grow, and if you have your own situation, why not? saves lots and lots of money, thats for sure.

Ashley 12344
10-02-2009, 09:57 PM
all true, but the question is would it be illegal to grow yourself? it isnt incredibly difficult to grow, and if you have your own situation, why not? saves lots and lots of money, thats for sure.

Or you could grow it yourself and make lots of money ;)

10-02-2009, 10:23 PM
My guess would be that it would be illegal to grow yourself becuase than the government would get a lot less money from the taxes. Unless the dealers made people pay tax but I dont see that happening :P

Kardan
10-02-2009, 10:32 PM
I believe that it should remain illegal :)

Nixt
11-02-2009, 02:06 AM
well who has just one cigarette a day? people smoke 5, 10, a whole pack maybe 2 every day. not many people smoke any more than a joint a day, hell most people dont even do that.

One pure cannabis joint is said to be the equivalent of around seven cigarettes. If you smoke it with tobacco however, you are massively increasing the damage it does to your lungs. I know a lot of people who smoke more than one joint a day - I used to smoke cannabis regularly and excessively, but I have come to learn from my mistakes.

RedStratocas
11-02-2009, 03:32 AM
One pure cannabis joint is said to be the equivalent of around seven cigarettes. If you smoke it with tobacco however, you are massively increasing the damage it does to your lungs. I know a lot of people who smoke more than one joint a day - I used to smoke cannabis regularly and excessively, but I have come to learn from my mistakes.

oh fo sho, its horrible for you but certainly not illegal status, especially when you consider things that are legal.

GommeInc
11-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Personally I think it should be illegal, there just seems no reason to take it or to buy/take any drugs really. But that's just my irrational view on drugs - waste of money and time :P My view on them is that they are just the lame man's way of proving how boring they are that they have to resort to a substance to pass the time or to make them seem more interesting to people in their surroundings (like going clubbing for instance).

The only thing I only really accept is drinking, but in moderation like with a meal. Drinking just to get drunk is just a waste of money and pointless because the usual reasons to get drunk - to pull and have a great time, are usually destroyed the morning after with headaches and disappointment :P

leah
11-02-2009, 12:27 PM
don't think it should

Moh
11-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I personally think it should, if it was legal, then it would then be a controlled substance and it wouldn't have all the **** drug dealers put in it.

Nixt
11-02-2009, 12:50 PM
I personally think it should, if it was legal, then it would then be a controlled substance and it wouldn't have all the **** drug dealers put in it.

Find a dealer who doesn't put **** in it? It's very easy to work out something isn't right with weed. It's not like cocaine or w/e.

Immenseman
11-02-2009, 12:57 PM
No, it should remain illegal. It's not that dangerous if you do it occasionally but it has been proven long term damage leads to abnormality such as schizophrenia. People are still going to do it regardless but that doesn't make it right. I imagine a lot of people on here have tried it because it isn't very uncommon but if you were to leagalise it it'd be used more widespread.

FlyingJesus
11-02-2009, 01:24 PM
My view on them is that they are just the lame man's way of proving how boring they are that they have to resort to a substance to pass the time or to make them seem more interesting to people in their surroundings (like going clubbing for instance).

I don't think most people need drugs or alcohol to have a good time (although I know some who do) but it heightens the senses and the general feel of it, so why not? I used to think like that but some experiences really are much better off your face lol

That said I still agree with you that it should remain illegal, just for very different reasons :P we're not allowed to wholly agree on anything, that's a law

LeeroyJenkins
11-02-2009, 01:30 PM
libertarian here and i scream legalize it!!!1

the war on drugs is a waste of damn money, when the money can be used for different stuff.

i'll break it down for ya;
illegal marijuana = more people in jail
more people in jail = more tax dollars or wutever the uk uses wasted
more people in jail = less space for real criminals such as murderersss

da pulis needs to take care of real criminals, not nonviolent high people.
k

FlyingJesus
11-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Are you a libertarian because you're a kid who wants to be allowed to do as they please or do you actually think it's socially and economically viable?

Legal marijuana = need to moderate it
Need to moderate it = whole new departments, laws taxes and licensing
Standardised marijuana strains = less happy customers, street dealers still needing to be cleaned out

All of this costing lots of government money to set up, and I don't believe the tax benefits of legalising marijuana would cover that cost unless the price was raised to extortion, and if that happened then street dealers would still sell at fractionally raised prices and the government still sees none of the money.

LeeroyJenkins
11-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Are you a libertarian because you're a kid who wants to be allowed to do as they please or do you actually think it's socially and economically viable?

Legal marijuana = need to moderate it
Need to moderate it = whole new departments, laws taxes and licensing
Standardised marijuana strains = less happy customers, street dealers still needing to be cleaned out

All of this costing lots of government money to set up, and I don't believe the tax benefits of legalising marijuana would cover that cost unless the price was raised to extortion, and if that happened then street dealers would still sell at fractionally raised prices and the government still sees none of the money.

no no no. i am not that. (srry sometimes i think this is 4chan)

you may be quite right on the government part but it's just a theory. you live in the UK amirite? if we get this amazing product on the shelves it would do miracles for the people.

2nd off we have wasted (note i'm referring to the US) 300 trillion dollars just on the war on drugs alone by eliminating the marijuana part we can save tons. the uk is probably different is sooo biased on the unhealthy benefits of marijuana when there is just an equal amount of good healthy benefits for it. if you wanna ban something unhealthy get alcohol outta here. alcohol has tons of commercials and kills thousands each year.

as for your part on planting, (note this can be disputed) most people would NOt wana mess around with a marijuana plant. let's say the government says that your free to grow your own marijuana just as long as you have a permit. i know i wouldn't wanna mess around with a plant. to get to the high quality of a GOOD marijuana plant it takes time and effort.

you need to think. yes there will be a lot to go through such as government. as for unhappy people elaborate on that?

all i can say now, it's a damn plant. it's quite pointless to illegalize something that grows in soil, with water, and with sunlight.

read this btw.
http://www.splicetoday.com/politics-and-media/legalize-it-2?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=pv&utm_campaign=111708956

FlyingJesus
11-02-2009, 02:52 PM
I'd hardly call it an "amazing product", I've had my dealings with it in the past and the main reason I don't do it any more is that it was just not giving me any effect. This is possibly because it's a depressant and I'm already about as chilled as it gets, but the idea of using a drug recreationally is that you're on it for the pure purpose of enjoying yourself - something we see less and less more recently as people take to smoking it alone for relaxation, which is then a personal problem and needs to be sorted properly rather than temporarily with drugs (legal or not). Medical marijuana already is legal and available for some people if it's deemed necessary, although not prescribed to smoke as far as I'm aware.

My argument here though isn't a moral one (as when I think something is actually profitable I'm pretty liberal myself and it's not like I don't ingest anything toxic) but socio-economic. Whilst it's true that a massive amount has been spent on policing drugs, the cost of doing so for marijuana is nowhere near that needed for finding, following and convicting coke cartels and heroin traffickers, and while it'd be nice to be able to say "just let it go" that would just open up several cans of worms (with teeth) and would be terrible irresponsible. The solution then would seem to be to have it government controlled like aspirin or morphine, which as I mentioned would cost far more than any tax benefits they could reap from it. Consider that even now it's fairly pricey for what you get, and if it's taxed anything near as much as alcohol and tobacco you could expect at least a doubling in price.

About planting: I know personally at least 4 or 5 people who've tried it, albeit unsuccessfully for the most part, and I know that a lot of small-time dealers do grow their own in modified attics and greenhouses, as it's not that hard with the right equipment. The main reason for failure is that people buy only a couple of seeds and expect it to work under a basic UV light, but if it was legalised I'd argue that they'd actually be more willing to attempt it because they could try a larger amount with no risk.

My point about people being unhappy was to do with standardised marijuana strains, which would be completely necessary if the government were to be backing it. As you probably know, there are thousands and thousands of different types of marijuana plant all with different potency and in some cases different effects due to the mixes of chemicals in hybrid plants. I highly doubt that the best Compton superskunk would be sold at the same rate or even same legality as something so badly bred that it resembled tealeaves more than bud, and so of course some people would be forced to get something stronger than they'd like while heavier smokers would be left with something they view as weak. Also again with the prices - if they were shot up by tax then that's not gonna make people happy, and they'll either just not smoke any more or go buy some other, cheaper drugs. Either way the government then loses out on purchase and the customers lose out on something they want to buy.

As I say, I'm not trying to take a moral high ground here nor am I suggesting that people shouldn't smoke, I just really don't think that legalising marijuana is a good or profitable idea for anyone.

Oleh
11-02-2009, 03:45 PM
It should stay iilegal because all the people who smoke it will just either move onto something else or the council will make it dearer (its dear already)

Jahova
11-02-2009, 03:56 PM
No. It is a dangerous drug if abused.

drama
11-02-2009, 03:58 PM
in all fairness so is alcohol, lol.

RedStratocas
11-02-2009, 04:03 PM

YEAH, BECAUSE NO ONE HAS EVER EVER EVER ABUSED ALCOHOL, HAVE THEY?

lol my caps was on and i dont feel like rewriting that.

Virgin Mary
11-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Arguing that nicotine or alcohol are more dangerous is pointless. Both would be illegal if they didn't generate so much profit and the fact that people would probably riot if either were suddenly made illegal - or are you arguing that alcohol and nicotine should also be illegal and people be made to drink water and eat celery on nights out? I don't care if other people die or get diseases but if they legalised it and everyone that got addicted ended up getting cancer or AIDs or whatever they'd just go to the NHS and steal taxes to help with something they've done wrong to themselves. I don't care for the war on drugs either, if kids wanna kill themselves then let them they were probably a waste of good resources anyway.

RedStratocas
12-02-2009, 01:24 AM
or are you arguing that alcohol and nicotine should also be illegal

yeah thats basically my argument. obviously im not for the illegalization of any of them but im just pointing out the hypocrisy. if weed is illegal why isnt alcohol? its like making knives illegal because they're dangerous but having guns be legal because everyone likes them so much.

for those who say "alcohol is fine in small doses and on occasion," isnt weed too? after all, it is used for medical use.

Blinger1
12-02-2009, 02:31 AM
I am neither for or against marijuana.. my mum has marijuana seed pillow which helps relax her so...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!