PDA

View Full Version : :l i think someone just ruined my potential education

StripedTiger
12-02-2009, 09:14 PM
im in my second biology year, doing a-level. Since september, me and a friend have been helping each other with tests. When one of us has done a test before the other, be tell them what main topics are on them, and what type of questions etc.

A test came up, which i had done and my friend asked me about it. I told her that it was only 1 question long really, and there was an essay question at the end based on an experiment. I told a male friend that i felt guilty because i couldnt help any further as i didnt have the question paper or the mark scheme, despite looking on the internet. So i e-mailed my teacher asking for the mark scheme for the next day, so i could check my answers, and check my friends answers when i saw her at break after her test.

Basically, the male friend e-mailed my biology teacher telling her we were swapping answers, giving each other tips and not to send me the mark scheme because i was gunna show my friend all the answers so she knew for her test. Which is twisting the truth cos i wouldnt see her before the test. He also send part of the messenger conversation to her.

So now, to cover my tracks and to protect the other girl, since my friend named her too, i've had to get that days full conversation, edited the necessary parts so it looks like the guy is just whinding me up and lying to get me into trouble, and ive sent her the conversation with a blank e-mail.

I have no idea what to do or how to react. I've told her once before that i had a bit of help with a test so she knows its partically true. Although she has no idea its been happening all of the time. I've spent a year and a half with this teacher, and i actually had a lot of respect for her and ive never actually told a lie to her, until now where i've had to.

My friend says she made a right mess of the test so we might be okay if she sees our papers and realises that we have completely different answers. But i just dont know what to do.

Next year when im on 1 subjects, finishing my ict and english literature a-levels i was gunna do some voluntary work in her class, but now that this has happened i dont think i can actually face her again. If i play it like nothings happened im just gunna end up exploding or something.

I dont even know why the guy told her because hes always been my best friend, i never gave him a reason to be mad at me or send the e-mail and i dont know how much trouble this could get me and my friend in to?

Ramones
13-02-2009, 03:18 PM
i'm confused to how this has ruined your 'potential' education. Unless you meant this has potentially ruined your education. In which case i don't see how it has, your teacher seems alright, i't will probably all blow over. These tests you're doing are only class tests i assume? so it doesn't really matter that much. But i don't think your friend is much of a friend.

Hecktix
13-02-2009, 03:26 PM
In all honesty, I don't think a teacher would be too bothered by a chat-log sent by some tell-tale.

At the end of the day your friend is how old? 17? 18? Playing tell-tale is pathetic.

However, clearly these tests you've been doing lack importance if they are only class set tests. Even if the teacher bigs them up to be stuff like "it's the end of the world if you fail this test", they arent real exams. When you do the real exams you'll sit it at the same time, so you can't discuss it then until afterwards.

So I think your teacher will either laugh your idiotic friend off, or just tell you that if anything like that happens for your real exam, that you will be disqualified.

Plank
13-02-2009, 03:38 PM
If they're only tests set by the teacher then I doubt anyone would care enough to "ruin your education".

Immenseman
13-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I don't think a teacher will jump to any conclusion over some chat-log sent by a student who is evidently immature like mentioned above. It's the sort of thing people do in primary school, going out of their way to get others in trouble. He needs to grow up, for sure.

The best thing to do is tell this boy what an idiot he is and then explain to your teacher that you just help each other like any friends do. Don't make yourself sound too bad it's not like these class tests are hugely important anyway. It's not like you'd be given the chance do to this in the real exam anyway.

The most likely outcome is your teacher will tell you to refrain from doing it in the future and that you've been silly to tell each other what the questions were in the first place which is fair enough.

Cyndia
13-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Something sort of like this happened to me once though a bit different.. It was when I was in 10th grade, I had a teacher that was really strict for Chemistry. My best friend at the time was in the class, and she was absolutely terrible at chemistry (she ended up flunking out of the class and had to retake it over the summer). I've always been good at the sciences, and usually ace them without much trouble. Anyway, so one day we had a lab report due. I did mine, and put it in the inbox and then was comparing with some people. A few days later she handed them back and I didnt get mine (I told her I'd turned mine in and she said she didn't have it). I was really upset but redid it - luckily all the pages I'd written were on my computer, the only thing that wasn't was the data but I took that from my lab partner. I turned it in the class after... Then two days later I get it back with a note saying to see my teacher at the end of class. Turns out my best friend had taken my lab, and copied it word for word! I was so angry.. And honor court violations are taken really seriously at my school - we could have gotten kicked out of the IB program for it. Anywho, we talked with the teacher, and it was a horrible situation for me. I hadn't done anything, but my teacher clearly had reason to doubt that since the girl was my best friend and we always spent time together. I couldnt out her, but she wouldn't offer any explanation she just kept saying 'I dont know' on how it happened. It was terrible, and we had 3 or 4 talks about it, I even cried during one of them when the teacher started threatening my IB diploma (my friend wasn't IB so she wasn't in risk of that). Anywho, in the end I told my teacher privately that I really hadn't given it, and that it probably accidentally ended up on the girls desk when we were all comparing labs at the beginning of class and my teacher gave 0 credit to the girl, and gave me partial credit (she took off for it being 'Late'). I had so much trouble facing my teacher after that.. I was certain she hated me. As it turned out, I got her as a teacher for my Theory of Knowledge class the year after, and another few friends of mine were in her HL chem class and they were talking about me once and she was chatting with them and she told them that she thought I was a brilliant girl which made me really happy/relieved since even a year and a half later I'd still thought she hated me haha. So I ended up using her the year after Theory of Knowledge to write me recommendations for University applications, and I took a peek at one or two and they were really flattering. So yeah, bottom line is even if you think you screwed up, you probably didn't. Like the others said just talk to her in person if you're really concerned, but just flat out say that you really didn't offer any advice and that other guy was blowing it out of proportion because he asked you about it and you refused to tell him any answers. She has no proof so yeah, and you showed her the conversation between you and your friend, so you should be fine. Also if you said your friend messed up the test, then that'll help you as well. Just try hard to do well in her class after this and DONT get caught for this again. If that happens, you should be more than fine for volunteering with her. She'll likely forget all about it by the time you're there, and like the others said, this test really can't have been all that important if she didn't make you all do it in one sitting. Relax, your future is still fine :)

StripedTiger
15-02-2009, 11:58 AM
i'm confused to how this has ruined your 'potential' education. Unless you meant this has potentially ruined your education. In which case i don't see how it has, your teacher seems alright, i't will probably all blow over. These tests you're doing are only class tests i assume? so it doesn't really matter that much. But i don't think your friend is much of a friend.

because i was going to do peer mentoring with her next year, so i have experience n stuff to offer when i apply for uni. I was also going to ask her to be my referee too, and if this actually throws a wedge in, then its going to be really uncomfortable and i'll end up losing out by going to a different teacher who doesnt know me as well and hasnt taught me for as long.

Something sort of like this happened to me once though a bit different.. It was when I was in 10th grade, I had a teacher that was really strict for Chemistry. My best friend at the time was in the class, and she was absolutely terrible at chemistry (she ended up flunking out of the class and had to retake it over the summer). I've always been good at the sciences, and usually ace them without much trouble. Anyway, so one day we had a lab report due. I did mine, and put it in the inbox and then was comparing with some people. A few days later she handed them back and I didnt get mine (I told her I'd turned mine in and she said she didn't have it). I was really upset but redid it - luckily all the pages I'd written were on my computer, the only thing that wasn't was the data but I took that from my lab partner. I turned it in the class after... Then two days later I get it back with a note saying to see my teacher at the end of class. Turns out my best friend had taken my lab, and copied it word for word! I was so angry.. And honor court violations are taken really seriously at my school - we could have gotten kicked out of the IB program for it. Anywho, we talked with the teacher, and it was a horrible situation for me. I hadn't done anything, but my teacher clearly had reason to doubt that since the girl was my best friend and we always spent time together. I couldnt out her, but she wouldn't offer any explanation she just kept saying 'I dont know' on how it happened. It was terrible, and we had 3 or 4 talks about it, I even cried during one of them when the teacher started threatening my IB diploma (my friend wasn't IB so she wasn't in risk of that). Anywho, in the end I told my teacher privately that I really hadn't given it, and that it probably accidentally ended up on the girls desk when we were all comparing labs at the beginning of class and my teacher gave 0 credit to the girl, and gave me partial credit (she took off for it being 'Late'). I had so much trouble facing my teacher after that.. I was certain she hated me. As it turned out, I got her as a teacher for my Theory of Knowledge class the year after, and another few friends of mine were in her HL chem class and they were talking about me once and she was chatting with them and she told them that she thought I was a brilliant girl which made me really happy/relieved since even a year and a half later I'd still thought she hated me haha. So I ended up using her the year after Theory of Knowledge to write me recommendations for University applications, and I took a peek at one or two and they were really flattering. So yeah, bottom line is even if you think you screwed up, you probably didn't. Like the others said just talk to her in person if you're really concerned, but just flat out say that you really didn't offer any advice and that other guy was blowing it out of proportion because he asked you about it and you refused to tell him any answers. She has no proof so yeah, and you showed her the conversation between you and your friend, so you should be fine. Also if you said your friend messed up the test, then that'll help you as well. Just try hard to do well in her class after this and DONT get caught for this again. If that happens, you should be more than fine for volunteering with her. She'll likely forget all about it by the time you're there, and like the others said, this test really can't have been all that important if she didn't make you all do it in one sitting. Relax, your future is still fine :)

Hmm hopefully.

--

I did try to have a talk about it after my lesson on friday, before i even opened my mouth she goes "oh stephanie, can you tell patrick (the guy who told on me) that there are several job openings.." and i cut her off where she was.

Patrick got kicked out of sixth form because he stopped going to lessons etc, so shes trying to pass messages about where there are job openings for him..

so basically i just said "do you really think im even speaking to him?" n shes like "well um no probably not" so i goes "then there you go, and thanks for believing him over me"

-.- i checked my e-mails after and she replied to the chat log saying shes glad to see me and him are still friends. So basically i told her that we arnt because hes a liar trying to whinde me up and get me into trouble.

so i think she knows. I'll just wait and see how things go i spose. But if she still believes him, then its going to effect my other class too. My grades are already really doubtful tbh. Last year my comon grades were U and D. Now they my grade is a B.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!