PDA

View Full Version : Does God Exist?

Pages : [1] 2

PaulMacC
14-02-2009, 04:07 PM
If you dont believe in God have a look at this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eGpWW6scsg
1 minute long.

Immenseman
14-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Hmm, do I believe in a God who created the Universe? No. Do I believe there is a God, yes. I think everything happens for a reason. I don't think a Youtube video is sufficient enough to change my mind so I didn't watch it :D.

I certainly don't believe in the God that Christians do because there is proof for example that the Bible doesn't contain the truth. Like God creating the Earth and it only being 6000 years old.

If there is a way you can integrate Darwin and religion into the existence of human kind then yeah, maybe.

buttons
14-02-2009, 04:16 PM
simple answer : yes.

Twist
14-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Pffft no.

PaulMacC
14-02-2009, 04:18 PM
If you are going to say yes/no, please back up your opinions.

Swearwolf
14-02-2009, 04:19 PM
noooo when will people realiiseeeeeeeee
there is not 1 shred of evidence
there is tons of evidence saying otherwise
i think ppl who believe in god are very arrogant (no offence)

Technologic
14-02-2009, 04:21 PM
No, imaginary friends are for children.

Immenseman
14-02-2009, 04:21 PM
I think that a lot of people who do believe in God merely believe it because they need to believe that someone is there for them so they fall back onto religion for support and the belief that God is there to help them through their life.

buttons
14-02-2009, 04:22 PM

how does that make you arrogant? :S i don't get it?
i've been brought up to believe in god and although i don't pray go to church etc all the time i still believe in him

BeanEgg
14-02-2009, 04:23 PM
I believe in God, yes. We were made for a reason just like the theory of Paley's Watch.

The big bang cannot create a human being with all the specific features. Such as eyes for seeing, ears for hearing, nose for smelling.

Swearwolf
14-02-2009, 04:23 PM
i've been brought up to believe in god and although i don't pray go to church etc all the time i still believe in him

arrogant because they refuse to believe that evolution happened and god didnt, when clearly with everyday it becomes more obvious

(and i dont mean people that just chose to etc, im more aiming at bible bashers)

buttons
14-02-2009, 04:25 PM
arrogant because they refuse to believe that evolution happened and god didnt, when clearly with everyday it becomes more obvious

no that's just your opinion on what happened, doesn't make us arrogant, and if it's so obvious how comes there's so many people that believe in him?

Swearwolf
14-02-2009, 04:27 PM
no that's just your opinion on what happened, doesn't make us arrogant, and if it's so obvious how comes there's so many people that believe in him?

because in the old days it was the only explanation of everything, so its stuck with all da h4rdc0r3 families through the years

PaulMacC
14-02-2009, 04:28 PM
How can everything be made to such perfection though, if you watched that video the information in it is far too complex to evolve over time.

Swearwolf
14-02-2009, 04:29 PM
most humans n stuff isnt perfect even nearly :P and that video didnt even make me think twice

PaulMacC
14-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Take a giraffe, if one of the giraffes nerves wasnt connected properly it wouldnt be able to use it's neck and it would then die as a result of starvation.

Geraint
Yes, he posts on this forum and you're reading his post right now.

Swearwolf
Take a giraffe, if one of the giraffes nerves wasnt connected properly it wouldnt be able to use it's neck and it would then die as a result of starvation.

well thats nature for ya, otherwise they just wouldnt exist....

Twist
14-02-2009, 04:34 PM
If you are going to say yes/no, please back up your opinions.
No, because I don't think it's possible.

Supersam
14-02-2009, 04:38 PM
That video proved nothing?

And no I dont believe a god exists. If a god does exist then he is either not omnipotent or he is malevolent. Otherwise why would he allow such evils to be brought upon good people? And why would such teachings outline the right for two people of opposite sex who feel nothing but hate allow to be married, while it is thought bad for two people of the same sex who love eachother to marry. And why is it allowed for children to be concieved by twisted people who only want those children for their own personal gain whereas other people who want nothing more than a child of their own to love cant conceive.

The reason being because things are happening naturally and not being dictated by someone.

The only reason anything is held together is because of inter-molecular forces, not because God is holding them together. And these bonds are made at random, their is no decision on how they will be bonded or if they will bond. Things do happen by chance.

I dont like the idea of someone determining my life. I am in control. I was made by pure chance. God did not guide me into being who I am and I do not want someone to control my life.

And if their is a God. The christain faith is so jumbled up from the origin from which it came and there are so many groups that divide that one faith that it means nothing anymore. If God was omnipotent he would not tolerate religious sects or other religions.

I am not totally scientific about how life is because it is obvious something about our existence which is special. I would much rather believe in the spirituality of the balance of good and bad that allows our world to work than in a religion which teaches against basic morality. Christianity has waged too much war against other religious groups and within itself to gain any respect from me.

PaulMacC
14-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Personally I think life is just a test.

Jord
14-02-2009, 04:39 PM

Me to, I dont go to church In my mind If you belive in god you dont need to worship him because if he wanted worshipping he would be on this earch where we can all worship him

and yes god does exist.

Everything happens for a reason weather it be a kid dying or a car blowing up.

Supersam
14-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Personally I think life is just a test.

A test for what?

PaulMacC
14-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Heaven?

Supersam
14-02-2009, 04:44 PM
If it was a test for heaven then what would happen to the babies that die in the womb?
Or what about animals? They are still life and made by god but they know nothing of belief for God?

jackass
14-02-2009, 04:47 PM
I do believe in God, yes. :)

Jord
14-02-2009, 04:51 PM
If it was a test for heaven then what would happen to the babies that die in the womb?
Or what about animals? They are still life and made by god but they know nothing of belief for God?

They go to heaven because their babys and they never did anything bad :)

PaulMacC
14-02-2009, 04:52 PM
It's to see how we humans cope around it, thus a test.

Virgin Mary
14-02-2009, 04:56 PM
I believe in god and evolution and the big bang.

Mayyte
14-02-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't believe in God to be honest. The Big Bang created the universe and we evolved from the very first microbes and plankton in the sea (I think that's correct). However, I do believe everything has a first cause, and if God was to exist then there must have been something that created God - if that makes sense. I'll leave you to think :)

RedStratocas
14-02-2009, 05:03 PM
I believe in God, yes. We were made for a reason just like the theory of Paley's Watch.

The big bang cannot create a human being with all the specific features. Such as eyes for seeing, ears for hearing, nose for smelling.

who ever suggested that the big bang created humans? lol, ive never heard that one before.

anyway, i think its completely stupid for anyone to be positive of whether or not there is a god. i dont know if there is a god, and honestly, i dont care. no one can prove it in either direction. if i had to take a guess id say i dont think there is one but i have no proof to say that there isnt, so i dont really know.

and for all those people who say there is no god: stop trying to prove it to believers. for every piece of proof you give them, all they're gonna do is make up some excuse like "its god testing us." or like with evolution: "god made evolution happen." there will never ever ever ever ever be sufficient evidence for believers to change their minds, so i wouldnt bother.

How can everything be made to such perfection though, if you watched that video the information in it is far too complex to evolve over time.

but people arent perfect. why do we get sick? why are children born with deformities? why do we have a pancreas if we dont even need it? i know you like to think it, but we arent perfect.

Supersam
14-02-2009, 05:10 PM

Thats nice throw-away logic.

It's to see how we humans cope around it, thus a test.

Thats convenient. So animals aren't actually important? They have no souls? I dont think so...

The only reason we are any different to animals is because we evolved and eventually had the ability to speak. Other animals have the ability to fly, breathe underwater, climb flat vertical surfaces etc. Just because we have more developed brains doesnt mean that it is only us that matters. If god created everyone equal then he didn't exclude animals.

Virgin Mary
14-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Are you an atheist or a TV evangelical mormon? We get it you don't believe in god you don't have to keep throwing your opinions at us =S

Juelz
14-02-2009, 05:13 PM
no because who created god?

Immenseman
14-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I can't grasp how people can be so ignorant and totally disregard science and believe that God has done everything. With regards to your giraffe argument Paul that can easily be explained through evolution. They have evolved in order to survive in their environment.

Mayyte
14-02-2009, 05:21 PM
no because who created god?

Exactly what I said; everything has a first cause. Therefore, something/someone must have created God. I just can't understand why some people just disregard science and believe God made everything - like Jake said - I mean, some Christians believe in Charles Darwin's theory of evolution, yet they can't grasp the fact that a Big Bang caused the beginning of the universe in spite of there actually being evidence... How silly?!

Virgin Mary
14-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Exactly what I said; everything has a first cause. Therefore, something/someone must have created God. I just can't understand why some people just disregard science and believe God made everything - like Jake said - I mean, some Christians believe in Charles Darwin's theory of evolution, yet they can't grasp the fact that a Big Bang caused the beginning of the universe in spite of there actually being evidence... How silly?!
Well the usual argument is that god created the big bang. The big bang theory was actually conceived by a catholic priest as a scientific means to explain the "let there be light" thing that started everything. Furthermore, seeing as time was created along with the big bang, it's presumable that god is not bound by time and therefore has no beginning or end, i.e. infinite.

lPinoy
14-02-2009, 05:26 PM
I was brought up to believe in God so in my opinion, he exists.

and as said somewhere its better to believe in God and find he doesnt not exist than not believe in God and find he does exist.
although i would rather believe in him and find he does exist.

Mayyte
14-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Well the usual argument is that god created the big bang. The big bang theory was actually conceived by a catholic priest as a scientific means to explain the "let there be light" thing that started everything. Furthermore, seeing as time was created along with the big bang, it's presumable that god is not bound by time and therefore has no beginning or end, i.e. infinite.

Therefore, that makes God nothing in a sense... I think. If he has no beginning then that means he is non-existent because he hasn't "been created" essentially.

Axel
14-02-2009, 05:29 PM
No he doesn't.

Virgin Mary
14-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Therefore, that makes God nothing in a sense... I think. If he has no beginning then that means he is non-existent because he hasn't "been created" essentially.
I think god is a lot of contradictions seeing as it isn't within the universe so doesn't really have any universal laws or logic applied to it. I think people find it hard to understand something that was always there and never won't be. If not god then something/whatever caused the big bang because it can't have come from nowhere. Some people believe the universe was never created and just always existed.

buttons
14-02-2009, 05:32 PM
because in the old days it was the only explanation of everything, so its stuck with all da h4rdc0r3 families through the years
what so because my family believe in god from the old days that makes us hardcore?!!?!?!?! fabulous news :rolleyes:

RedStratocas
14-02-2009, 05:49 PM
I was brought up to believe in God so in my opinion, he exists.

and as said somewhere its better to believe in God and find he doesnt not exist than not believe in God and find he does exist.
although i would rather believe in him and find he does exist.

meh. if god is as great as everyone says he is, i dont think he'll be mad that i was skeptical of his existence. i mean he doesnt offer the greatest proof to us, tbh. i would rather not believe and have him be understanding than waste a lot of precious time in my life for something that doesnt exist.

because who's to say how god thinks?

James!
14-02-2009, 06:07 PM
People only believe in God because they're scared of dying.

luce
14-02-2009, 07:26 PM

I'm a christian, i believe there's a god and i go to church 3 times a week etc. I don't believe in creationism, if you actually read genesis there are two creation stories.

The eye is literal David paleys design argument which is basically saying some things are so intricate man couldn't have possibly made them.

Personally i believe in god because of my own personal experience and i don't see you can be arrogant in believing there is a god, you're equally as arrogant believing there isn't a god because there is just as much evidence on both sides.

@James ~ I'm not scared of dying because i know where i'm going. I'm not a christian because i was scared of dying i am a christian because it's the choice i made in life. Many people who believe in god aren't christians so they don't go to heaven so you can belive in god and not be garenteed eternal life which is what you're saying!

Immenseman
14-02-2009, 07:28 PM
No he doesn't.
God doesn't exist yet you know "it's" a he?! :O;) An object that doesn't exist has no sex, surely.

J0SH
14-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Well my prayers are never answered or anything so I guess not, and people who believe in Jesus & God and that apparently Mary randomly got pregnant, many years ago a couple of guys sat in a room and wrote the bible, it's probably all made up etc.

e5
14-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I dont get what that has to do with god? :S

J0SH
14-02-2009, 07:37 PM

Well for all we know, these guys could have made up this "God" and stories with Adam & Eve.

Immenseman
14-02-2009, 07:37 PM
What?? You don't see how people discussing Gods existence is anything to do with God? lol... :S

buttons
14-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Well my prayers are never answered or anything so I guess not, and people who believe in Jesus & God and that apparently Mary randomly got pregnant, many years ago a couple of guys sat in a room and wrote the bible, it's probably all made up etc.
so you pray then? you must believe in God if you're gonna pray otherwise I doubt he'd answer you. I don't relay (sp) on God to do everything for me, I do that myself and the only time I really need him to hear me is if I want forgiveness, he isn't there to help you, you're meant to help yourself. The bible is made up of peoples stories of what they have experience that have been passed down so there's no saying that it's true or false, you can't just say it's made up but if that's your opinion then fine.

Anyway i don't see why people are ******** off people that believe in him, that's not very fair you should respect what they have to say.

luce
14-02-2009, 08:17 PM

God will answer your prayers if the thing you ask for is what he wants to happen! He also doesn't answer prayers for people who are like ill ask for this and this and this and then won't do anything in return.

If you mean the video it's trying to get across the point something as amazing, intricate and complicated as the human eye couldn't possibly be caused by evolution or chance it had to be made by something greater then man itself, aka God.

14-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I didnt watch teh video but I will voice my opinion on this.

My feeling is that there might be a god, but I dont know if there is one for sure, no on does, so why should I waste my life abiding by the bible if it could be all for nothing? If there was proof of a god than of course I would believe it, but until I die, I wont know if there is a god. So why waste my time.

Just my opinion.

RandomManJay
14-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Personally I don't think that a celestial entity not bound by any form of existance in/outside this unverse created us. I don't really care for the idea since its just to far fetched and generalised for me and doesn't hold many principles I believe, but if you want me to use an example to explain why:

If God created us in his own image, we would all be celestial entities just like him because if he was physical in any way, he would be bound by many of the limitations within and outside this universe, therefore then only explanation is that God must have created us in his own image from a time before he was celestial and when he was man, therefore he cannot be the creator of the universe because he must have existed within a universe at one point in order to live and eventually achieve celestial form. Therefore, life must have already existed at one point otherwise he would have not survived, therefore he did not create the universe and did not create life itself, he is simply a being which has achieved a higher existance than us, perhaps through evolution or whatever. If you look at God like this, he is a manipulator and a deceiver who is/was using his achieved powers and understanding to control us.

This is really just a plain straight answer I came up with to the riddle in RE once and I liked it, feel free to disprove it if you like. I don't really care if people do believe in a god or not, just as long as they don't try to change my views as though they have a right to, I'm fine with people believing and many of my friends are religious, but it doesn't bother our relationship because the topic of god or belief never comes up. Many people say that it is the disprovers who cause the problems where it is an equal ground, believers try to prove God to disbelievers and vise-versa.

RedStratocas
14-02-2009, 08:25 PM

My feeling is that there might be a god, but I dont know if there is one for sure, no on does, so why should I waste my life abiding by the bible if it could be all for nothing? If there was proof of a god than of course I would believe it, but until I die, I wont know if there is a god. So why waste my time.

Just my opinion.

+rep. basically.

J0SH
14-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Well I'm a catholic so yeah we pray at school and stuff, I sort of believe there is a God but then again I don't, there's no proof of a God..

RandomManJay
14-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Well I'm a catholic so yeah we pray at school and stuff, I sort of believe there is a God but then again I don't, there's no proof of a God..

So you believe, but your a skeptic about Gods existance, don't think I've met any catholic who has your view :P.

J0SH
14-02-2009, 08:39 PM
That's because I'm pro, I will follow as a catholic but won't believe ;) For all we know, cavemen etc have been around years ago, we could be cavemen? Hence why there's probably humans, Earth etc is probably natural and where's the proof of God, Heaven & Hell..

luce
14-02-2009, 08:41 PM

Just my opinion.

Well explained +rep

J0SH
14-02-2009, 09:21 PM

Just my opinion.

Pretty much the point I'm trying to make, I am a catholic, I have been since I was born, if there's prayers at school etc because I go to a catholic school, I will pray but I won't follow by the bible going church every sunday etc because I'm not sure if God is alive, we could be recarnated as another person when we die, who's to say there's a heaven or hell :P

Technologic
14-02-2009, 09:37 PM
People can believe what they want, it's just when they start moaning about other people and asking questions like this that annoys me

PaulMacC
14-02-2009, 09:48 PM
The thing that made my family really start believing is when my brother was born, he only has 1/4 of a kidney and he was said to die. There was a 5% to live and my brother is still here today :P

RedStratocas
14-02-2009, 10:07 PM
The thing that made my family really start believing is when my brother was born, he only has 1/4 of a kidney and he was said to die. There was a 5% to live and my brother is still here today :P

well my older brother was born 2 months early, the doctors even told my mom he wouldnt survive without question, he's still alive, and my mom couldnt be a bigger atheist. she always talks about how much she hates religion. my dad was never really religious but he wasnt an atheist either, but after my grandma, a devout christian her entire life, died on christmas day a few years ago he had no reason to even think about the existence of god.

science is the reason my brother survived, not god. that would kinda be taking credit away from the doctors, i think. premature and deformed babies are born all over the world, but it seems god only chooses the ones in industrialized nations to survive i guess :rolleyes:

Immenseman
14-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Not the fact he was kept in a man made institution with the latest science and technology there to help him? Alternatively you can thank God and believe God made the difference. Not slating, just my opinion. Hope you're training him up to be ARVM when your sister is RVM.

PaulMacC
14-02-2009, 10:24 PM
The doctors said even with their help there was hardly any chance.

Loser
14-02-2009, 10:42 PM
No. Religion is a harness for people who do not want to understand.

Lee.Norman
14-02-2009, 10:45 PM
I 100% do not believe there is a god. I think is completely made up...

I believe that science has come up with enough evidence for me to accept the big bang theory is correct. And that all these miracles and stuff are just old stories...

Im not gonna say people who believe in god are stupid... Everyone has the right to their own beliefs and opinions. I dont believe that everything happens for a reason either... I think that we have control of our own destiny, and can shape our own futures. But I do believe in Karma, although thats a different debate completely. :)

N!ck
14-02-2009, 10:52 PM
There is nothing to prove the existence of "God" and there is also nothing to disprove the existance of "God".

There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.

http://www.atheistbus.org.uk/

N-Dubz
14-02-2009, 10:55 PM
I believe in God.

End of.

Immenseman
Yet if they hadn't been there, there was no chance. It's like there being 5 red balls in a bag with 95 yellow ones. Unlikely you're going to pick a red one but it could happen, life is about chance.

Loser
There is nothing to prove the existence of "God" and there is also nothing to disprove the existance of "God".

There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.

http://www.atheistbus.org.uk/

Shameful.

RandomManJay
14-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Yet if they hadn't been there, there was no chance. It's like there being 5 red balls in a bag with 95 yellow ones. Unlikely you're going to pick a red one but it could happen, life is about chance.

Very nicely put!

Sophiee
14-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Unfortunately I do not have time to watch the video but I'll respond anyway.

I really urge you to read The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins, it really goes into detail about evolution and why this is possible, evolution is not a process of chance at all, we developed such features over time because they are beneficial to us.

But the human body is not perfect, at a long shot.
Why do you think that back pain is so common?
The human spine is not fully evolved yet, it's still pretty adapted to walking on all fours, evolution takes time after all.
The human eye and shark eye are extremely similar, so similar that you might as well just call them identical, yet shark eyes do not possess the dangerous blind spot area that the human eye possesses, we have many faults in our body.

It's really not too complex, as I said it's not a chance thing, it's a mutation thing. I do think that the human body is complex and beautiful but it does not mean that I have to believe that it was created by some imaginary supreme being.

Trust me, if I believed that there was any chance of an after life, I'd be kissing whichever supreme being I believed in's feet, but really - there's not a scrap of evidence for anything like so.

Ask yourself, why do you reject Allah, Zeus, Brahman etc, yet are SO sure on the existence of God?

N!ck
14-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Shameful.

What's shameful? I think Athiests are just as closed minded as people from any other religion. I was juat giving credit to the source of my quote.

Nobody can tell either way and it's extremely unlikely we will find out for sure in the future. Life is about chance as someone else has already pointed out. The probability just isn't in God's favour, but as the chance is still there you can not neglect it.

Sophiee
14-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Oh... and you do know that there's also no evidence to disprove a microscopic teapot that orbits Mars too, right?

I'm with Dawkins, I really do suggest that the 'probably' be removed from the atheist bus too.

Loser
14-02-2009, 11:04 PM
What's shameful? I think Athiests are just as closed minded as people from any other religion. I was juat giving credit to the source of my quote.

I was referring to the campaign. Any public campaign that attempts to influence your views on religion is shameful.

Sophiee
14-02-2009, 11:06 PM
I actually kind of like the atheist bus campaign, what upsets me is that if it was displayed where I live, the windows would be smashed and I really wouldn't be surprised if the bus was destroyed.

I do kind of agree with you Ben, but the way I see is it that dogmatic religious advertisements will not be stopped, so I think it's perfectly okay that atheist advertisements combat them.

Kardan
14-02-2009, 11:07 PM
In my opinion, God doesn't exist. At least science makes some sense; that things evolved from one another, but to say that there's a being that created everything and we don't know about? No, way too farfetched.

Loser
14-02-2009, 11:11 PM
I actually kind of like the atheist bus campaign, what upsets me is that if it was displayed where I live, the windows would be smashed and I really wouldn't be surprised if the bus was destroyed.

I do kind of agree with you Ben, but the way I see is it that dogmatic religious advertisements will not be stopped, so I think it's perfectly okay that atheist advertisements combat them.

Ideally, none of it would exist. But, I won't be supporting one campaign while condemning many others that are doing the exact same thing.

And hey Soph!! How's it going?

Sophiee
14-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Well yeah, ideally - but I just can't help but love this campaign, if only the agnosticism could be removed from it. (But then I guess we get back to the dogmatic issue...)

And I'm bueno, did you leave CHF or something?
I never see you around anymore.

Loser
14-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Well yeah, ideally - but I just can't help but love this campaign, if only the agnosticism could be removed from it. (But then I guess we get back to the dogmatic issue...)

And I'm bueno, did you leave CHF or something?
I never see you around anymore.

If religious campaigns can tell you God exists, surely atheistic ones should be able tell you otherwise without upsetting the religious types.

Not left it, it's just a total bore these days.

DiscoPat
14-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I believe that there is a god, but I question the way it is presented in nowadays society and how it is taught to the younger generation.

Virgin Mary
14-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Sophiee only proof of evolution is your precious Samsta. He's practically chlamydia mutated to human size. I guess that's why CHF is riddled with more STDs than an african family.

Loser
14-02-2009, 11:28 PM
I believe that there is a god, but I question the way it is presented in nowadays society and how it is taught to the younger generation.

http://edkrebs.com/herb/god-hates-****-308.jpg

I think the sort of **** that's force fed into children's sponge-like minds is the major problem in the wider scale of things, but the main selling point for religion.

N!ck
14-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Oh... and you do know that there's also no evidence to disprove a microscopic teapot that orbits Mars too, right?

I'm with Dawkins, I really do suggest that the 'probably' be removed from the atheist bus too.

No there's no evidence against so you can't rule it out, but c'mon the probability of a man-made teapot escaping the Earth's gravity projected at the correct angle and velocity to orbit Mars is extremely marginal.

They originally wasn't going to put 'probably' in there, but they had to for the ad to be allowed.

Casanova
14-02-2009, 11:49 PM
I haven't watched the video because I'm too lazy.

Myself, my beliefs are defined as atheist. I don't believe in "God" because the way religion represent him it is therefore without reasoning or proof.

I don't believe in God because religion it's self is full of faults and delusions and mostly of all... corruption started in religion working it's way through society and then having a basis in life.

If you look back to the guessed history of medieval times religion was an escape. Life was actually made out to be hell because most working class literally were slaves for the leader of the community. Religion was the savour of all which after death you lived well in heaven after a good life.

Religion became corrupt when "money" and "goods" came into circa. At first it was people rewarding their communal worshipping place with goods to thank their god. (In Britain). To save them from things such as the plague. But after a while they recognised this as a way to become rich... so those whom chose to becoming a leading figure of their communial religion were those who WERE corrupt and created corruption.

Religion is so faulty because it's basis was created on escapism from life... something which the weak could take solace in for their after-life.

For instance, in most religions jesus is known in them, but written over and over again under different names, under different times and of course under different illusions of power (ie. walking on water).

God is a fictional character which is created by men who were naive, men who wanted power, men who were the weakest of all and seeked recognision. God could not of created the world in seven days. It took millions of years and the Big Bang theory in my mind is the most correct basis of the creation of earth.

This is my ramblings. No offence is meant.

Sophiee
14-02-2009, 11:56 PM
No there's no evidence against so you can't rule it out, but c'mon the probability of a man-made teapot escaping the Earth's gravity projected at the correct angle and velocity to orbit Mars is extremely marginal.

They originally wasn't going to put 'probably' in there, but they had to for the ad to be allowed.

And what makes the existence of an all-knowing god more probable?

And hahahaha mary.

Xarea
15-02-2009, 12:00 AM
i don't get it... how does some info on an eye mean god exists?

N!ck
15-02-2009, 12:00 AM
And what makes the existence of an all-knowing god more probable?

And hahahaha mary.

It doesn't. The proability of an all-knowing god can not be calculated in my opinion. Extremely unlikely, but definately not 0%.

Virgin Mary
15-02-2009, 12:02 AM
I haven't watched the video because I'm too lazy.

Myself, my beliefs are defined as atheist. I don't believe in "God" because the way religion represent him it is therefore without reasoning or proof.

I don't believe in God because religion it's self is full of faults and delusions and mostly of all... corruption started in religion working it's way through society and then having a basis in life.

If you look back to the guessed history of medieval times religion was an escape. Life was actually made out to be hell because most working class literally were slaves for the leader of the community. Religion was the savour of all which after death you lived well in heaven after a good life.

Religion became corrupt when "money" and "goods" came into circa. At first it was people rewarding their communal worshipping place with goods to thank their god. (In Britain). To save them from things such as the plague. But after a while they recognised this as a way to become rich... so those whom chose to becoming a leading figure of their communial religion were those who WERE corrupt and created corruption.

Religion is so faulty because it's basis was created on escapism from life... something which the weak could take solace in for their after-life.

For instance, in most religions jesus is known in them, but written over and over again under different names, under different times and of course under different illusions of power (ie. walking on water).

God is a fictional character which is created by men who were naive, men who wanted power, men who were the weakest of all and seeked recognision. God could not of created the world in seven days. It took millions of years and the Big Bang theory in my mind is the most correct basis of the creation of earth.

This is my ramblings. No offence is meant.

You're also too lazy to look into your own beliefs - or simply read my post. The big bang was created by religion! lol! They're co-existent. It's merely an extension of the beginning of genesis. Why do you think all you the big bang as a lone theory is dead-ended?

Sophiee
15-02-2009, 12:03 AM
i don't get it... how does some info on an eye mean god exists?

Creationists often use the eye in their argument against evolution, saying that it's too complex to have evolved, which is not true.

It doesn't. The proability of an all-knowing god can not be calculated in my opinion. Extremely unlikely, but definately not 0%.

Oh sorry, I thought you were advocating the existence of a god.

N!ck
15-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Creationists often use the eye in their argument against evolution, saying that it's too complex to have evolved, which is not true.

Oh sorry, I thought you were advocating the existence of a god.

I am advocating that nobody knows for sure whether god exists or not, but the latter is by far the most likely.

RandomManJay
15-02-2009, 12:13 AM
You're also too lazy to look into your own beliefs - or simply read my post. The big bang was created by religion! lol! They're co-existent. It's merely an extension of the beginning of genesis. Why do you think all you the big bang as a lone theory is dead-ended?

Its not exactly an extension of Genesis since the theory itself doesn't go into the belief of God and his role in the creation of the universe, but I think your reasoning behind that is that in terms of science, God is the Big Bang. And I don't understand what you mean by 'dead-ended' :P

Casanova
15-02-2009, 12:18 AM

Great post, and I can see your point. But I see it as a a "lone" theory of our existence and creation because it's 99% proven, science can NOT be exact but what science can do is give you the probability and of course the deemed proof and explanation of how or what.

I believe this because it has been "proven" as much as it can be by non-biased peers.

I can NOT say it's true or false but it is my belief(s). Genesis was created by people whom had the belief of god, and can NOT be seen as non-biased?

Netaxes
15-02-2009, 01:30 AM
No I believe there is a god? Nope. The earth, starts and other planets are created by gas and dust in the universe. Pressure and heat created the planets. As for different stuff like oxygen, was created mostly by small insects in the water that create oxygen.

For the video, I don't know how it proves (or even does) that there is a god. I still don't believe ;)

Virgin Mary
15-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Great post, and I can see your point. But I see it as a a "lone" theory of our existence and creation because it's 99% proven, science can NOT be exact but what science can do is give you the probability and of course the deemed proof and explanation of how or what.

I believe this because it has been "proven" as much as it can be by non-biased peers.

I can NOT say it's true or false but it is my belief(s). Genesis was created by people whom had the belief of god, and can NOT be seen as non-biased?
But people mistake the big bang theory as a theory for the creation of everything when it's only a theory for the creation of the universe.

leah
15-02-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm Athiest, so in my opinion no.

FlyingJesus
15-02-2009, 08:16 PM

And that post wasn't at all arrogant :P

Well technically it could quite easily - think about how many trillions of times Big Bangs could have occurred before our universe. Life has had all of time to become what it is, which means near infinite pasts before any DNA had formed are entirely possible

something/someone must have created God.

Not necessarily. You're thinking like a human, we're pretty confined in our way of thinking because we base everything on logic. It's entirely possible that a paradoxical being or group of beings could exist.

If God created us in his own image, we would all be celestial entities just like him because if he was physical in any way, he would be bound by many of the limitations within and outside this universe, therefore then only explanation is that God must have created us in his own image from a time before he was celestial and when he was man

So when I make a little man out of blu-tak "in my image" I'm only made of blu-tak myself?

People can believe what they want, it's just when they start moaning about other people and asking questions like this that annoys me

Personally I find atheists and agnostics to be the most pushy ones when it comes to religious debate. Just look at this thread for many examples. I'm of my own mind when it comes to divine beings (I'm not Christian, Hindu, Muslim or any other world religion but I do have a belief system) and from an outside view it's the non-religious chaps who are the most annoying and touchy on the subject.

Its not exactly an extension of Genesi

Yes it is.

RandomManJay
15-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Yes it is.

The fact that you didn't even include what I said in its entirety makes me question whether you actually read it or understood it considering I actually stated why I said it isn't an exact extension and that I stated what I thought you ment by it. Also, you stated in an earlier post from this one that its in common view that The Big Bang created everything instead of what its truely meaning is, although the Big Bang didn't create only the universe, but released all matter and energy which exists within its continually increasing size due to its collapse as a singularity.

FlyingJesus
16-02-2009, 12:32 AM
I hadn't posted in this thread prior to that so not sure who you think I am :S and the Big Bang is an extension of Genesis as it was theorised by Bible scholars for the purpose of incorporating science into religious text - whether it explicitly mentions God or not doesn't matter.

As for what the Big Bang created, "the universe" is generally considered to be everything that exists so you can't really differentiate between the two terms. It is entirely possible (although entirely impossible to prove) that there could be other universes with different physical laws that we have no way of getting to.

Just for clarification and not in relation to anything else that's really been said here: I'm guessing by the capitalisation of God that the topic of discussion is only the Judeo-Christian deity?

RandomManJay
16-02-2009, 01:21 AM
I hadn't posted in this thread prior to that so not sure who you think I am :S and the Big Bang is an extension of Genesis as it was theorised by Bible scholars for the purpose of incorporating science into religious text - whether it explicitly mentions God or not doesn't matter.

As for what the Big Bang created, "the universe" is generally considered to be everything that exists so you can't really differentiate between the two terms. It is entirely possible (although entirely impossible to prove) that there could be other universes with different physical laws that we have no way of getting to.

Just for clarification and not in relation to anything else that's really been said here: I'm guessing by the capitalisation of God that the topic of discussion is only the Judeo-Christian deity?

Sorry XD!, got side tracked onto another persons reply while I was typing. And yes, this topic does seem to be in terms of Judeo-Christianity.

Soy
16-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Define 'Existence'

God does indeed exist in this thread

Bango124
17-02-2009, 08:58 AM
To be honest, I do believe in God.

And I certainly believe in Jesus. I'm sure there was a man 2000 years ago, who preached about a man in the sky, but there was more than one.

Has anybody thought that maybe, Jesus was many different men? Now I find that hard to believe. I do believe that a man named Jesus was crucified because of him claiming to be God's son.

Now as for God, put it this way, I go to a Catholic school, and even some of the R.E. teachers say that the theory that God created the earth is innacurate.

I think God has a plan for us. :S

Jahova
17-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Yes. ;););););););)

Soy
17-02-2009, 11:28 AM
To be honest, I do believe in God.

And I certainly believe in Jesus. I'm sure there was a man 2000 years ago, who preached about a man in the sky, but there was more than one.

Has anybody thought that maybe, Jesus was many different men? Now I find that hard to believe. I do believe that a man named Jesus was crucified because of him claiming to be God's son.

Now as for God, put it this way, I go to a Catholic school, and even some of the R.E. teachers say that the theory that God created the earth is innacurate.

I think God has a plan for us. :S

Okay so tell me which religion is truth? Islam, Judaism or Christianity. Since all of these religions tell a different story on the existence of 'God' and contradict themselves on how the world was created etc.

Oh and provide proof for your asnwer

Inseriousity.
17-02-2009, 01:48 PM
You can argue til you're blue in the face but there's never going to be a conclusion (does help me with RE A Level though so keep going :D).

In my opinion, God isn't a human being. God is the subconcious of every living thing (animals can't really speak out but they have feelings too). The voice inside us that makes us feel guilt when we commit evil deeds. Those who enjoy inflicting pain and evil on others and feel no guilt or remorse have no subconcious and therefore no God.

RandomManJay
17-02-2009, 01:52 PM
You can argue til you're blue in the face but there's never going to be a conclusion (does help me with RE A Level though so keep going :D).

In my opinion, God isn't a human being. God is the subconcious of every living thing (animals can't really speak out but they have feelings too). The voice inside us that makes us feel guilt when we commit evil deeds. Those who enjoy inflicting pain and evil on others and feel no guilt or remorse have no subconcious and therefore no God.

Its a rather nice and interesting perspective, the way you've decribed it sounds like your describing the Superego, proposed by Freud, only everyone has a Superego but its strength is different for everyone :P.

Zak
17-02-2009, 02:11 PM
What ever your opinions are to this matter you should still respect other peoples views

Skajo
17-02-2009, 03:33 PM
I have one word for that video;

evolution.

Tooplee
17-02-2009, 03:41 PM

so "God" is male? and your reason behind this is? what even makes you think God is human? there is no sufficient evidence whatsoever
so no, i don't believe in God yet I do believe there is something after death but i won't rant on about that

colourpot
17-02-2009, 03:45 PM
I havnt really thought about it, i dont belive that he created earth because thats just stupid, but i dont know if he does exist.

FlyingJesus
17-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Okay so tell me which religion is truth? Islam, Judaism or Christianity. Since all of these religions tell a different story on the existence of 'God' and contradict themselves on how the world was created etc.

Oh and provide proof for your asnwer

The ruling deity in all three of those religions you mentioned is actually the same, and they all believe in Jesus too. Jews and Muslims just don't believe he was the messiah, they think of him as a prophet instead. Still an important figure but not THE figure. They also all have the same (albeit differently worded) creation story so guess again :P

so "God" is male? and your reason behind this is? what even makes you think God is human?

No-one thinks God is human, that's why He's a god... and male because every religious text ever to exist says so. We're talking in terms of God with a capital G here, not just any possible deity

Jesus-Egg
17-02-2009, 11:19 PM
No, I don't believe that god exists. However, I think debating the existance of god is pretty pointless. Everyone has their opinions, and nobody's going to persuade anybody else that they're wrong. If you believe in god, that's fine. If you don't believe in god, that's fine. Just don't force your beliefs on other people. Let them believe what they want.

Hazzles
25-02-2009, 08:42 PM
As a chemistry student I'm meant to believe in the big bang etc.
But theres a hell of alot unexplained.
But there is by religion too.
So I'm undecided, there may be, there must be a reason why I'm me, not anyone else. But then it might just be a coincidence.
I'm not likely to find out so yeah, either way, it's all good.

Crimson
27-02-2009, 05:43 PM
idk. :) I dont get what the video has to do with it tho :S

J0SH
27-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Well the big bang created Earth and who knows it could have formed species (hence dinosaurs cavemen etc) and many years back some guys wrote the bible in a room, so there probably isn't any proof of God / Jesus / Mary / Joseph / Adam or Eve.

MrGazet
27-02-2009, 05:53 PM
I do believe that God does exist

RandomManJay
28-02-2009, 02:24 AM
Well the big bang created Earth and who knows it could have formed species (hence dinosaurs cavemen etc) and many years back some guys wrote the bible in a room, so there probably isn't any proof of God / Jesus / Mary / Joseph / Adam or Eve.

Adam and Eve didn't really exist according to many believers now, they believe its just an example of Genesis to make it easier to understand or something like that, although it can't be that hard to understand :P. Just thought I'd mention that there wont be any actual proof of them (according to many believers) although their might be of the others, although there might not be any proof that what they did was what actually happened.

BlueEyedSarah
28-02-2009, 04:01 AM
I will see when I die.

jameslarden
01-03-2009, 01:50 PM
I do, but i am a Catholic - Somebody asked if the Pope was a Catholic - The Answer Is Yes! I think that everyone is entitled to their opinion - Until there is solid evidence, nobody knows.

Virgin Mary
01-03-2009, 01:58 PM
As a chemistry student I'm meant to believe in the big bang etc.
But theres a hell of alot unexplained.
But there is by religion too.
So I'm undecided, there may be, there must be a reason why I'm me, not anyone else. But then it might just be a coincidence.
I'm not likely to find out so yeah, either way, it's all good.
Hey, here's a picture of the sexy guy who created the big bang theory: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2e/Prelate_Father_Lemaitre_University.jpg ;p xD
he's dressed as a priest because he wrote the bible
CrAZY isn't it!??

Immenseman
01-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Hey, here's a picture of the sexy guy who created the big bang theory: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2e/Prelate_Father_Lemaitre_University.jpg ;p xD
he's dressed as a priest because he wrote the bible
CrAZY isn't it!??
i would.

leah
01-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Science have proof of how the word was created, this whole god thing seems like a complete load of rubbish, im athiest so don't believe in god.

FlyingJesus
01-03-2009, 02:20 PM
And science has never been proven wrong yeah

Technologic
01-03-2009, 02:27 PM
The idea of God is powered by those who believe in him, as long as people believe God exists.

Nixt
01-03-2009, 03:07 PM

Evolution? The process by which an animal has evolved to adapt to the environment of tall trees. Giraffes just didn't get dumped on the earth by God. You find fossilised remains of dinosaurs but not of giraffes.

Then why allow those babies to be created in the first place, if they are not given the chance to prove if they are worthy of going to Heaven?

@James ~ I'm not scared of dying because i know where i'm going. I'm not a christian because i was scared of dying i am a christian because it's the choice i made in life.

This is the point he is trying to make, though. You're not scared of dying but that's because you think you are going to go to heaven. If you didn't think you were going to heaven, you might find the idea of death just a bit scary.

Hardly is the key word there. There was a chance it just wasn't a big chance. Your brother was lucky, and the medical care he received was obviously of an excellent standard. There are cases where doctors say a patient is definitely not going to survive, and they do. You may well liken that to a miracle, and maybe it is, but at the end of the day we are human and we make mistakes - and prediction of death is not something that one can always accurately determine.

Personally, I believe there is a celestial body. I would refer to Him as "God" as I have been brought up in a predominantly Christian society and through most of primary school it was the religion that I was exposed to most. However I do not consider myself Christian, and I do not believe that the celestial body I refer to can be explained by religion. The God of my mind, be him real or fantasy, is not a God that does not desire you to worship him but something that's just there. Maybe He is watching or maybe He has no interest in this world, but I would like to believe there is something there.
As I said above, whatever is (if anything) out there, I do not believe religion can explain or determine what it is. As a friend of mine says, we could be just one big alien experiment? Give me solid evidence a God that does exist and I will drop to my knees and beg His or Her or It's forgiveness. Before then I am satisfied to live my life without the restrictions of religion.

Virgin Mary
01-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Evolution? The process by which an animal has evolved to adapt to the environment of tall trees. Giraffes just didn't get dumped on the earth by God. You find fossilised remains of dinosaurs but not of giraffes.

Then why allow those babies to be created in the first place, if they are not given the chance to prove if they are worthy of going to Heaven?

This is the point he is trying to make, though. You're not scared of dying but that's because you think you are going to go to heaven. If you didn't think you were going to heaven, you might find the idea of death just a bit scary.

Hardly is the key word there. There was a chance it just wasn't a big chance. Your brother was lucky, and the medical care he received was obviously of an excellent standard. There are cases where doctors say a patient is definitely going to survive, and they do. You may well liken that to a miracle, and maybe it is, but at the end of the day we are human and we make mistakes - and prediction of death is not something that one can always accurately determine.

Personally, I believe there is a celestial body. I would refer to Him as "God" as I have been brought up in a predominantly Christian society and through most of primary school it was the religion that I was exposed to most. However I do not consider myself Christian, and I do not believe that the celestial body I refer to can be explained by religion. The God of my mind, be him real or fantasy, is not a God that does not desire you to worship him but something that's just there. Maybe He is watching or maybe He has no interest in this world, but I would like to believe there is something there.
As I said above, whatever is (if anything) out there, I do not believe religion can explain or determine what it is. As a friend of mine says, we could be just one big alien experiment? Give me solid evidence a God that does exist and I will drop to my knees and beg His or Her or It's forgiveness. Before then I am satisfied to live my life without the restrictions of religion.
At least it's plausible. Unlike karma and reincarnation, which people only believe in until someone in their family gets cancer or someone has a miscarriage. With christianity you can just say "they're in a better place now" and the comfort is all there =)

Nixt
01-03-2009, 03:25 PM
At least it's plausible. Unlike karma and reincarnation, which people only believe in until someone in their family gets cancer or someone has a miscarriage. With christianity you can just say "they're in a better place now" and the comfort is all there =)

Unless, as I say, you can give me solid evidence rather than just a rating of the plausibility of different aspects of different religions then I will remain a sceptic. The comfort you talk about merely proves my above point in regard to why a lot of people turn to Christianity and religion. So they can feel comfortable with their impending death and the death of others around them.

FlyingJesus
01-03-2009, 03:27 PM
The idea of faith isn't to have proof though

Virgin Mary
01-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Unless, as I say, you can give me solid evidence rather than just a rating of the plausibility of different aspects of different religions then I will remain a sceptic. The comfort you talk about merely proves my above point in regard to why a lot of people turn to Christianity and religion. So they can feel comfortable with their impending death and the death of others around them.
That's what i'm saying, at least it's pointful.

kuzkasate
03-03-2009, 09:58 PM

Thats not arrogance at all? Its more of an opinion... every ones is different. When ever I pray, help is always there and there is always a solution.

GommeInc
03-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Depends what you mean by God. If you think of God as a physical substance then no, but if you think of God as a comfort thing, or something to thank for all your blessings like children, wives/husbands, friends, then maybe, but that doesn't work for everyone. There is also the creation God, as the only possible answer for A or B happening because something like C couldn't of made it.

Virgin Mary
03-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Depends what you mean by God. If you think of God as a physical substance then no, but if you think of God as a comfort thing, or something to thank for all your blessings like children, wives/husbands, friends, then maybe, but that doesn't work for everyone. There is also the creation God, as the only possible answer for A or B happening because something like C couldn't of made it.
lol that's what you'd have us believe! Except when you walk in the room on habbo and the jukebox thing plays ave satani!!!!it gives you away

[DC]eption
03-03-2009, 11:12 PM
I personally don't think "God" exists. I think people use the idea of him for comfort, and to give them hope.

Nixt
04-03-2009, 12:20 AM
The idea of faith isn't to have proof though

I appreciate that, however to me it is just another way of religious people trying to patch up the flaws that are so blatant within their religion.

That's what i'm saying, at least it's pointful.

Perhaps it is a good thing, as it provides comfort. However that does not provided evidence that God actually exists.

Asher
04-03-2009, 12:30 AM
wow, like this thread hasn't been discussed before!

flyingjesus and virginmary

nooblah123
04-03-2009, 01:06 AM
as some1 said nobody knows!
I am a catholic and i do belive in God...

BOBBAH
06-03-2009, 01:38 AM
i dont think any1 knows till u die... but b4 u die theres no telling

Hiro
06-03-2009, 11:43 AM
No, I believe that the matter produced by the big bang produced life itself, or the conditions to live, and Earth was one of the planets that organisms on the planet could adapt to its surroundings and live. Evolution commended.

N-Dubz
06-03-2009, 06:29 PM
yh i believe in God

Kipp
06-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Yes I belive there is a god that exists.

Mikey
06-03-2009, 10:11 PM
No proof really I think it's all in a book with gibbirish in it, so no I don't believe in him. I don't think there's a man in the sky who watches you and decides stuff for you,

buddha
06-03-2009, 10:20 PM
god is man made.

Fez
06-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Whenever someone asks me "Is there a God?", "Is there a Heaven?", "Is there something else in the universe?"

I say

"Don't have a ******* clue."

Zuar
06-03-2009, 10:49 PM
no sorry - the universe is expanding, thus it must of started someway - which i believe was the big bang.

Jaysun
06-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Many people think that Jesus didn't exist but if you all check your history books there was a Jesus of Nazareth who was born in Jerusalem. Mary did exist, and everyone during her time did. The bible wouldn't make up a whole block of time just for there stories.

kk.
06-03-2009, 11:15 PM

this person speaks the truth

Smarteh.
09-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Yea Yea i thought this about 2 years ago lol. I thought yea the science thing where rocks and bla bla made the planet. Where animals and humans come from? im sure our heart, brain and organs were not put anywhere by accident.

Bun
15-03-2009, 12:01 PM
religion is just a bundle of lies to cover up more lies.

RedStratocas
15-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Yes I belive there is a god that exists.

as opposed to believing in a god that doesnt exist.

Technologic
15-03-2009, 02:11 PM
as opposed to believing in a god that doesnt exist.

*cough* Christianity

DieselShaq
26-03-2009, 11:23 AM
I do not believe in God. It is extremely unreal that such a powerful supernatural should exist. Personally, I think that religious people use God as a scapegoat and blame God for wanting to punish them whenever they make errors of any sort. Neither do I really understand the logic of praying. What does praying do? I see people at my school say that they'll pray for each other all the time, but what's the point? Will praying help one reach their goal or earn them an achievement? The answer is, simply, no. If praying really did help, then anybody can achieve anything without putting in effort. Instead, they can just simply pray whilst others have to put in masses of effort. And what would God do if the favourite sports teams of two people play a match and those two people both pray for their teams to win? What would God decide to do? Surely, as a supernatural that a lot of people on Earth worship and portray as a just and powerful being, God will not deceive either of them.

Nobody can ever prove whether or not God exists. It's just up to one's own belief.

Roboevil
28-03-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't see the logic.

Is the video supposed to be telling me that the eye is so complicated, someone (god) must have made it.

But then, if a god can make something so magnificent like the eye, why didn't he do it with everything else?

luce
29-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I think that religious people use God as a scapegoat and blame God for wanting to punish them whenever they make errors of any sort

They don't blame god how about you look into things before you start throwing around comments. Christians believe everything happens for a reason and god has a plan etc etc blaming god would be against everything they believe in.

Imp!
29-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Okay that video has nothing to do with god, just genetics. I believe in god, what I dont believe in is

Gays go to hell
a 7 headed monstor will kill us all
God will create another world
Everything is controlled by God
God made the world in seven days

This is mostly the old testemant that my "super christian" friends believe in, whereas Im catholic and follow the new one x

Virgin Mary
29-03-2009, 07:28 PM
They don't blame god how about you look into things before you start throwing around comments. Christians believe everything happens for a reason and god has a plan etc etc blaming god would be against everything they believe in.
Most christians actually believe in free will lol

RedStratocas
30-03-2009, 03:23 AM
i hate how people say "the body is so perfect, god must have made it."

the body isnt perfect. explain this one to me: why are our mouths where they are? why would making the the tube where we breath the same tube that food goes down (thus the possibility of choking) be a good idea? wouldnt it make sense to be right where are stomachs are? why does it have to go down a long tube? oh, and why do we have two kidneys and two lungs but not two hearts? and why do we have a pinky toe if we certainly dont need it?

not saying this proves anything but i think the argument that the human body is perfect is just stupid.

Dinosaurawrr
31-03-2009, 02:42 PM
i belive that god does exist and he did infact create earth.
i am not catholic or christian
i just belive this
if god didnt exist i dont see how a explosion could of created this
~ or us.

Supersam
31-03-2009, 06:40 PM
i belive that god does exist and he did infact create earth.
i am not catholic or christian
i just belive this
if god didnt exist i dont see how a explosion could of created this
~ or us.

You are a christian if you believe in Christ or any of the stories within the Old Testement, New Testement or otherwise.

If people did science at higher levels they would have it explained in a much more complex but concise way.

I do A-level chemistry, and while it is true the big bang is just a theory, I remain convinced that there is more truth in that theory than in any other that religion has to offer. Matter cannot be created or destoryed. It is impossible. Whatever existed now must have existed before just in a different form a.k.a. The dust before the big bang.

Regardless of creation theories and theorists though... the main problem I have with the theory of God creating the world is that it has a sudden effect of people not looking for any evidence and just accepting it. Due to basic human nature, people need to know why things happen, and the people who believe in God creating the universe are just those who have not bothered to look beyond what was taught to them as a child and what they have to believe in because they went to church and all that intimidation of the holy symbolism just makes them brainwashed into believing what they can't explain.

I actually doubt many true christians know anything about other religious theories on creation because they just accepted the first theory they heard and moved on.

And to the people who are talking of religion being a way for people to have faith in something, then really shouldn't they have more faith in themselves and not some 'spirit' who's only evidence of existing is a hugley old text which has been changed so much to suit the old monarchs of the 15th-18th century that it shouldn't even be considered primary evidence anymore.

And while this belief may have some 'benefits' as some have suggested, religions like christianity end up causing more hatred than they do anything else. Recently the pope just announced to people that people contract Aids from using condoms... You can't just ignore basic scientific knowlegde of how infections are contracted and their prevention by stating that God does not want people to use condoms and therefore those people get STIs.

Virgin Mary
01-04-2009, 05:22 AM
i hate how people say "the body is so perfect, god must have made it."

the body isnt perfect. explain this one to me: why are our mouths where they are? why would making the the tube where we breath the same tube that food goes down (thus the possibility of choking) be a good idea? wouldnt it make sense to be right where are stomachs are? why does it have to go down a long tube? oh, and why do we have two kidneys and two lungs but not two hearts? and why do we have a pinky toe if we certainly dont need it?

not saying this proves anything but i think the argument that the human body is perfect is just stupid.
It's a cop out theory by people who can't comprehend evolution.

You are a christian if you believe in Christ or any of the stories within the Old Testement, New Testement or otherwise.

If people did science at higher levels they would have it explained in a much more complex but concise way.

I do A-level chemistry, and while it is true the big bang is just a theory, I remain convinced that there is more truth in that theory than in any other that religion has to offer. Matter cannot be created or destoryed. It is impossible. Whatever existed now must have existed before just in a different form a.k.a. The dust before the big bang.

Regardless of creation theories and theorists though... the main problem I have with the theory of God creating the world is that it has a sudden effect of people not looking for any evidence and just accepting it. Due to basic human nature, people need to know why things happen, and the people who believe in God creating the universe are just those who have not bothered to look beyond what was taught to them as a child and what they have to believe in because they went to church and all that intimidation of the holy symbolism just makes them brainwashed into believing what they can't explain.

I actually doubt many true christians know anything about other religious theories on creation because they just accepted the first theory they heard and moved on.

And to the people who are talking of religion being a way for people to have faith in something, then really shouldn't they have more faith in themselves and not some 'spirit' who's only evidence of existing is a hugley old text which has been changed so much to suit the old monarchs of the 15th-18th century that it shouldn't even be considered primary evidence anymore.

And while this belief may have some 'benefits' as some have suggested, religions like christianity end up causing more hatred than they do anything else. Recently the pope just announced to people that people contract Aids from using condoms... You can't just ignore basic scientific knowlegde of how infections are contracted and their prevention by stating that God does not want people to use condoms and therefore those people get STIs.
lol I keep repeating myself but religion did offer the big bang theory. It was done by a catholic priest as a scientific means of explaining how god created the universe and, while rejected at first, has come to be hijacked by atheists. Hence as a standalone theory the big bang is illogical and sounds made up, e.g. how universal laws are disregarded and only come into place when it's convenient. Being dogmatic about the infallibility of science is almost as bad as believing that religion is infallible. It's only the human perception based on what we know. Aliens could visit us tomorrow and prove most of our science wrong.

paul4wolves
02-04-2009, 04:56 PM
God does not exist, BULL.

buttons
02-04-2009, 05:03 PM
God does not exist, BULL.
well thanks for your input :rolleyes:

FlyingJesus
02-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Okay that video has nothing to do with god, just genetics. I believe in god, what I dont believe in is

Gays go to hell
a 7 headed monstor will kill us all
God will create another world
Everything is controlled by God
God made the world in seven days

This is mostly the old testemant that my "super christian" friends believe in, whereas Im catholic and follow the new one x

If you truly believed in God surely you'd believe that His word is infallible and therefore that everything in the Bible is true not just bits you like? Also not sure if you actually know anything about your religion but Catholocism is the original form of Christianity and generally seen as more staunch in the old beliefs so not sure what you're trying to suggest with the latter part of your post.

Technologic
02-04-2009, 05:25 PM
If you truly believed in God surely you'd believe that His word is infallible and therefore that everything in the Bible is true not just bits you like? Also not sure if you actually know anything about your religion but Catholocism is the original form of Christianity and generally seen as more staunch in the old beliefs so not sure what you're trying to suggest with the latter part of your post.

Believing in "God" doesn't automatically make you a Christian...

FlyingJesus
02-04-2009, 05:27 PM
He said he was Catholic, and yes believing in God with a capital G is reference to the Jewish/Christian/Muslim deity, otherwise it's just a god

Technologic
02-04-2009, 05:41 PM
You can believe in God but not everything in the bible...

FlyingJesus
02-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Not logically, because if you believe in that God then you believe He and His word are infallible, so why would you take bits out?

buttons
02-04-2009, 06:00 PM
you can believe in God without reading any of his "teachings" but it doesn't make you Christian/Catholic, you can still believe in Him but that'd be pretty stupid to do. Most people probably only believe in Him 'cause of the whole big bang theory and the way some things work out

Technologic
02-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Well do you see people being stoned for stupid little things like working on the sabbath day?

FlyingJesus
02-04-2009, 06:33 PM
No because no-one truly practises the Christian religion these days, most likely because it took so many steps to become socially acceptable as it still does, so the entire religion is distorted

RedStratocas
02-04-2009, 08:39 PM

yah im with you on this one. if you don't believe in parts of a religion, then you simply aren't in that religion. beliefs aren't side orders, you cant pick and choose them, they are just the way they are. it would be like saying "i'm amish but i drive a car and play video games."

the thing about it is the bible doesnt really clearly define the levels of certain sins, especially the 10 commandments. nothing says that murder is worse than dishonoring your mother and father, for all we know God thinks the latter is worse than the former. but there are plenty of christians who "dishonor" their parents in various ways and dont think twice about it. people have simply dropped certain beliefs to fit the mold of today's society.

im not saying that you cant have your own beliefs, in fact i'd encourage it. but why would you go against certain beliefs of christianity but still insist you be called a christian?

Ardemax
12-04-2009, 07:51 PM
I believe in God and evolution, i believe that God planned out evolution, there's no evidence that this is not the case, and here's the reasons to back up God's existance.
#1 His son.
It is a fact that Jesus existed whether you like it or not, Jesus changed time, B.C. and A.D. However you know have to be politicaly correct to say BCE and ACE I think it is(?).
#2 Creation
How were we created? No scientist can explain that one, maybe religion can? :)

Other people can have opinions that's fine, just shouldn't change other's.

Sixiz
12-04-2009, 08:02 PM
There was a time when the smartest humans on off thought the earth was flat, They were wrong,

They now believe in the big bang theory, They COULD be wrong, I dont really need to know who/what created the universe, I'll Just be thankfull i'm here :)

Niall!
12-04-2009, 08:11 PM
God is just a need of the human soul, he needs to believe there is a higher power out there somewhere, it's the same as animals taking liking to humans, we feed them, and people believe God helps the plants grow and keeps the sun lit ect.

Also, you're right above, science can't explain how we were created, but neither can religion. I assume you are referring to the big bang theory and how it came to pass and created everything, yet if nothing existed before the big bang how could God have been born?

Ardemax
12-04-2009, 08:43 PM
God is just a need of the human soul, he needs to believe there is a higher power out there somewhere, it's the same as animals taking liking to humans, we feed them, and people believe God helps the plants grow and keeps the sun lit ect.

Also, you're right above, science can't explain how we were created, but neither can religion. I assume you are referring to the big bang theory and how it came to pass and created everything, yet if nothing existed before the big bang how could God have been born?

Religion says God did create the Earth, but didn't say how, maybe he did create the big bang?

And it also said that God has always been and always be there forever.

brandon
12-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Yes, and I thank him for this day of life. God bless you all.

:oRach
13-04-2009, 02:27 PM
The topic is argueable because lots of stuff is their and we dont know how it was even made. :O

le harry
13-04-2009, 02:32 PM
When it comes to ********, big-time, major league ********, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest ******** story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good ******** story. Holy ****!

But I want you to know something, this is sincere, I want you to know, when it comes to believing in God, I really tried. I really, really tried. I tried to believe that there is a God, who created each of us in His own image and likeness, loves us very much, and keeps a close eye on things. I really tried to believe that, but I gotta tell you, the longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize, something is ****** up.

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed. Results like these do not belong on the résumé of a Supreme Being. This is the kind of **** you'd expect from an office temp with a bad attitude. And just between you and me, in any decently-run universe, this guy would've been out on his all-powerful ass a long time ago. And by the way, I say "this guy", because I firmly believe, looking at these results, that if there is a God, it has to be a man.

No woman could or would ever **** things up like this. So, if there is a God, I think most reasonable people might agree that he's at least incompetent, and maybe, just maybe, doesn't give a ****. Doesn't give a ****, which I admire in a person, and which would explain a lot of these bad results.

So rather than be just another mindless religious robot, mindlessly and aimlessly and blindly believing that all of this is in the hands of some spooky incompetent father figure who doesn't give a ****, I decided to look around for something else to worship. Something I could really count on.

And immediately, I thought of the sun. Happened like that. Overnight I became a sun-worshipper. Well, not overnight, you can't see the sun at night. But first thing the next morning, I became a sun-worshipper. Several reasons. First of all, I can see the sun, okay? Unlike some other gods I could mention, I can actually see the sun. I'm big on that. If I can see something, I don't know, it kind of helps the credibility along, you know? So everyday I can see the sun, as it gives me everything I need; heat, light, food, flowers in the park, reflections on the lake, an occasional skin cancer, but hey. At least there are no crucifixions, and we're not setting people on fire simply because they don't agree with us.

Sun worship is fairly simple. There's no mystery, no miracles, no pageantry, no one asks for money, there are no songs to learn, and we don't have a special building where we all gather once a week to compare clothing. And the best thing about the sun, it never tells me I'm unworthy. Doesn't tell me I'm a bad person who needs to be saved. Hasn't said an unkind word. Treats me fine. So, I worship the sun. But, I don't pray to the sun. Know why? I wouldn't presume on our friendship. It's not polite.

I've often thought people treat God rather rudely, don't you? Asking trillions and trillions of prayers every day. Asking and pleading and begging for favors. Do this, gimme that, I need a new car, I want a better job. And most of this praying takes place on Sunday His day off. It's not nice. And it's no way to treat a friend.

But people do pray, and they pray for a lot of different things, you know, your sister needs an operation on her crotch, your brother was arrested for defecating in a mall. But most of all, you'd really like to **** that hot little redhead down at the convenience store. You know, the one with the eyepatch and the clubfoot? Can you pray for that? I think you'd have to. And I say, fine. Pray for anything you want. Pray for anything, but what about the Divine Plan? Remember that? The Divine Plan.

Long time ago, God made a Divine Plan. Gave it a lot of thought, decided it was a good plan, put it into practice. And for billions and billions of years, the Divine Plan has been doing just fine. Now, you come along, and pray for something. Well suppose the thing you want isn't in God's Divine Plan? What do you want Him to do? Change His plan? Just for you? Doesn't it seem a little arrogant? It's a Divine Plan. What's the use of being God if every run-down shmuck with a two-dollar prayerbook can come along and **** up Your Plan?

And here's something else, another problem you might have: Suppose your prayers aren't answered. What do you say? "Well, it's God's will." "Thy Will Be Done." Fine, but if it's God's will, and He's going to do what He wants to anyway, why the **** bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me! Couldn't you just skip the praying part and go right to His Will? It's all very confusing.

So to get around a lot of this, I decided to worship the sun. But, as I said, I don't pray to the sun. You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. Two reasons: First of all, I think he's a good actor, okay? To me, that counts. Second, he looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that God was having trouble with.

For years I asked God to do something about my noisy neighbor with the barking dog, Joe Pesci straightened that ********er out with one visit. It's amazing what you can accomplish with a simple baseball bat.

So I've been praying to Joe for about a year now. And I noticed something. I noticed that all the prayers I used to offer to God, and all the prayers I now offer to Joe Pesci, are being answered at about the same 50% rate. Half the time I get what I want, half the time I don't. Same as God, 50-50. Same as the four-leaf clover and the horseshoe, the wishing well and the rabbit's foot, same as the Mojo Man, same as the Voodoo Lady who tells you your fortune by squeezing the goat's testicles, it's all the same: 50-50. So just pick your superstition, sit back, make a wish, and enjoy yourself.

And for those of you who look to The Bible for moral lessons and literary qualities, I might suggest a couple of other stories for you. You might want to look at the Three Little Pigs, that's a good one. Has a nice happy ending, I'm sure you'll like that. Then there's Little Red Riding Hood, although it does have that X-rated part where the Big Bad Wolf actually eats the grandmother. Which I didn't care for, by the way. And finally, I've always drawn a great deal of moral comfort from Humpty Dumpty. The part I like the best? "All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again." That's because there is no Humpty Dumpty, and there is no God. None, not one, no God, never was.

In fact, I'm gonna put it this way. If there is a God, may he strike this audience dead! See? Nothing happened. Nothing happened? Everybody's okay? All right, tell you what, I'll raise the stakes a little bit. If there is a God, may he strike me dead. See? Nothing happened, oh, wait, I've got a little cramp in my leg. And my balls hurt. Plus, I'm blind. I'm blind, oh, now I'm okay again, must have been Joe Pesci, huh? God Bless Joe Pesci. Thank you all very much. Joe Bless You!

~ George Carlin.

Ardemax
17-04-2009, 04:00 PM
When it comes to ********, big-time, major league ********, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest ******** story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good ******** story. Holy ****!

But I want you to know something, this is sincere, I want you to know, when it comes to believing in God, I really tried. I really, really tried. I tried to believe that there is a God, who created each of us in His own image and likeness, loves us very much, and keeps a close eye on things. I really tried to believe that, but I gotta tell you, the longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize, something is ****** up.

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed. Results like these do not belong on the résumé of a Supreme Being. This is the kind of **** you'd expect from an office temp with a bad attitude. And just between you and me, in any decently-run universe, this guy would've been out on his all-powerful ass a long time ago. And by the way, I say "this guy", because I firmly believe, looking at these results, that if there is a God, it has to be a man.

No woman could or would ever **** things up like this. So, if there is a God, I think most reasonable people might agree that he's at least incompetent, and maybe, just maybe, doesn't give a ****. Doesn't give a ****, which I admire in a person, and which would explain a lot of these bad results.

So rather than be just another mindless religious robot, mindlessly and aimlessly and blindly believing that all of this is in the hands of some spooky incompetent father figure who doesn't give a ****, I decided to look around for something else to worship. Something I could really count on.

And immediately, I thought of the sun. Happened like that. Overnight I became a sun-worshipper. Well, not overnight, you can't see the sun at night. But first thing the next morning, I became a sun-worshipper. Several reasons. First of all, I can see the sun, okay? Unlike some other gods I could mention, I can actually see the sun. I'm big on that. If I can see something, I don't know, it kind of helps the credibility along, you know? So everyday I can see the sun, as it gives me everything I need; heat, light, food, flowers in the park, reflections on the lake, an occasional skin cancer, but hey. At least there are no crucifixions, and we're not setting people on fire simply because they don't agree with us.

Sun worship is fairly simple. There's no mystery, no miracles, no pageantry, no one asks for money, there are no songs to learn, and we don't have a special building where we all gather once a week to compare clothing. And the best thing about the sun, it never tells me I'm unworthy. Doesn't tell me I'm a bad person who needs to be saved. Hasn't said an unkind word. Treats me fine. So, I worship the sun. But, I don't pray to the sun. Know why? I wouldn't presume on our friendship. It's not polite.

I've often thought people treat God rather rudely, don't you? Asking trillions and trillions of prayers every day. Asking and pleading and begging for favors. Do this, gimme that, I need a new car, I want a better job. And most of this praying takes place on Sunday His day off. It's not nice. And it's no way to treat a friend.

But people do pray, and they pray for a lot of different things, you know, your sister needs an operation on her crotch, your brother was arrested for defecating in a mall. But most of all, you'd really like to **** that hot little redhead down at the convenience store. You know, the one with the eyepatch and the clubfoot? Can you pray for that? I think you'd have to. And I say, fine. Pray for anything you want. Pray for anything, but what about the Divine Plan? Remember that? The Divine Plan.

Long time ago, God made a Divine Plan. Gave it a lot of thought, decided it was a good plan, put it into practice. And for billions and billions of years, the Divine Plan has been doing just fine. Now, you come along, and pray for something. Well suppose the thing you want isn't in God's Divine Plan? What do you want Him to do? Change His plan? Just for you? Doesn't it seem a little arrogant? It's a Divine Plan. What's the use of being God if every run-down shmuck with a two-dollar prayerbook can come along and **** up Your Plan?

And here's something else, another problem you might have: Suppose your prayers aren't answered. What do you say? "Well, it's God's will." "Thy Will Be Done." Fine, but if it's God's will, and He's going to do what He wants to anyway, why the **** bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me! Couldn't you just skip the praying part and go right to His Will? It's all very confusing.

So to get around a lot of this, I decided to worship the sun. But, as I said, I don't pray to the sun. You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. Two reasons: First of all, I think he's a good actor, okay? To me, that counts. Second, he looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that God was having trouble with.

For years I asked God to do something about my noisy neighbor with the barking dog, Joe Pesci straightened that ********er out with one visit. It's amazing what you can accomplish with a simple baseball bat.

So I've been praying to Joe for about a year now. And I noticed something. I noticed that all the prayers I used to offer to God, and all the prayers I now offer to Joe Pesci, are being answered at about the same 50% rate. Half the time I get what I want, half the time I don't. Same as God, 50-50. Same as the four-leaf clover and the horseshoe, the wishing well and the rabbit's foot, same as the Mojo Man, same as the Voodoo Lady who tells you your fortune by squeezing the goat's testicles, it's all the same: 50-50. So just pick your superstition, sit back, make a wish, and enjoy yourself.

And for those of you who look to The Bible for moral lessons and literary qualities, I might suggest a couple of other stories for you. You might want to look at the Three Little Pigs, that's a good one. Has a nice happy ending, I'm sure you'll like that. Then there's Little Red Riding Hood, although it does have that X-rated part where the Big Bad Wolf actually eats the grandmother. Which I didn't care for, by the way. And finally, I've always drawn a great deal of moral comfort from Humpty Dumpty. The part I like the best? "All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again." That's because there is no Humpty Dumpty, and there is no God. None, not one, no God, never was.

In fact, I'm gonna put it this way. If there is a God, may he strike this audience dead! See? Nothing happened. Nothing happened? Everybody's okay? All right, tell you what, I'll raise the stakes a little bit. If there is a God, may he strike me dead. See? Nothing happened, oh, wait, I've got a little cramp in my leg. And my balls hurt. Plus, I'm blind. I'm blind, oh, now I'm okay again, must have been Joe Pesci, huh? God Bless Joe Pesci. Thank you all very much. Joe Bless You!

~ George Carlin.

nice c+p ;)

but that man must get his facts right before going against religion

Catchy
17-04-2009, 07:28 PM
I don't understand how you can call a book hard evidence. If you took a book into the police I doubt they'd consider it as evidence lol.

Agnostic Bear
18-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Just a thing for those who can't understand what "was" before the big bang (if there was one):

Stop thinking using time, time is just a construct of the mind to allow us to percieve things, we percieve time as say, a piece of string, 1 straight line with a beginning and end point, when in reality everything is, was, and will be at the same time.

It's somewhat like a DVD, there's no beginning and end point of a DVD, there's just data stored all over that flat surface, you can go to any point and watch from there, you can go back, go forward, start from a certain point and end at a certain point, but it's still just stuff on a flat surface, you have to imagine yourself as the DVD player, sitting there living out a copy of your life on dvd, however you can only watch it once, and you can only go forwards at a rate of 1. Perhaps in the future we might be able to go back to a certain point in the DVD, but then you get into space-time doohickery and I can't be bothered to explain my views on it.

It made sense to me.

Zebroid
19-04-2009, 12:37 PM
some atheist comments ;):
▀█▄█▀▀█▄█▀▀█▄█▀▀█▄█▀▀█▄█▀▀█▄█▀▀█▄█▀▀█▄█▀

1. The fact that a believer is happier than a sceptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality. - George Bernard Shaw
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

2. Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

3. I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. - Frank Lloyd Wright

4. We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry

5. To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today. - Isaac Asimov

6. A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. - Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)

7. Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca the Younger

8. Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. - Anonymous

9. Not only is there no god, but try getting a plumber on weekends. - Woody Allen

10. If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul. - Isaac Asimov

11. Belief in the supernatural reflects a failure of the imagination. - Edward Abbey

12. With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg

13. I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence. - Doug McLeod

14. The world holds two classes of men - intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. - Abu’l‐Ala al Ma’arri

15. Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going? - Anonymous

16. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. - Susan B. Anthony

17. The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike. - Delos B. McKown

18. Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer. - Anonymous

19. Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be
guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men. - Francis Bacon

20. The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins

21. A God who kept tinkering with the universe was absurd; a God who interfered with human freedom and creativity was tyrant. If God is seen as a self in a world of his own, an ego that relates to a thought, a cause separate from its effect. he becomes a being, not Being itself. An omnipotent, all‐knowing tyrant is not so different from earthly dictators who make everything and everybody mere cogs in the machine which they controlled. An atheism that rejects such a God is amply justified. - Karen Armstrong

22. It is not as in the Bible, that God created man in his own image. But, on the contrary, man created God in his own image. - Ludwig Feuerbach

23. People ask me what I think about that woman priest thing. What, a woman priest? Women priests. Great, great. Now there’s priests of both sexes I don’t listen to. - Bill Hicks

24. All the biblical miracles will at last disappear with the progress of science. - Matthew Arnold

25. Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence. - Anonymous

26. Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one. - Richard Dawkins

27. What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. - Christopher Hitchens

28. In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point. - Friedrich Nietzsche

29. It will yet be the proud boast of women that they never contributed a line to the Bible. - George W. Foote

30. On the first day, man created God. - Anonymous

31. I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Roberts

32. You do not need the Bible to justify love, but no better tool has been invented to justify hate. - Richard A. Weatherwax

33. What’s “God”? Well, you know, when you want something really bad and you close your eyes and you wish for it? God’s the guy that ignores you. - Steve Buscemi (From the movie “The Island”)

34. As far as I can tell from studying the scriptures, all you do in heaven is pretty much just sit around all day and praise the Lord. I don’t know about you, but I think that after the first, oh, I don’t know, 50,000,000 years of that I’d start to get a little bored. - Rick Reynolds

35. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish. - Anonymous

36. Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color. - Don Hirschberg

37. God should be executed for crimes against humanity. - Bryan Emmanuel Gutierrez

38. To say that atheism requires faith is as dim-witted as saying that disbelief in pixies or leprechauns takes faith. Even if Einstein himself told me there was an elf on my shoulder, I would still ask for proof and I wouldn’t be wrong to ask. - Geoff Mather

39. I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. - Mark Twain

40. Of all religions the Christian is without doubt the one which should inspire tolerance most, although up to now the Christians have been the most intolerant of all men. - Voltaire

41. And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence. - Bertrand Russell

42. Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

43. I’m a polyatheist - there are many gods I don’t believe in. - Dan Fouts

44. If it turns out that there is a God, I don’t think that he’s evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he’s an underachiever. - Woody Allen

45. A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it. - David Stevens

46. Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a God superior to themselves. Most Gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. - Robert A Heinlein

47. I refuse to prove that I exist,” says God, “for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing. - Douglas Adams

48. It ain’t the parts of the Bible that I can’t understand
that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand. - Mark Twain

49. He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; he that dares not reason is a slave. - William Drummond

50. Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family. - Steven Colbert

51. Which is it, is man one of God’s blunders or is God one of man’s? - Friedrich Nietzsche

52. Religion does three things quite effectively: Divides people, Controls people, Deludes people. - Carlespie Mary Alice McKinney

53. Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea. - Anonymous

54. When a man is freed of religion, he has a better chance to live a normal and wholesome life. - Sigmund Freud

55. They felt that science would be corrosive to religious belief and they were worried about it. Damn it, I think they were right. It is corrosive to religious belief and it’s a good thing. - Steven Weinberg

56. Take from the church the miraculous, the supernatural, the incomprehensible, the unreasonable, the impossible, the unknowable, the absurd, and nothing but a vacuum remains. - Robert G. Ingersoll

57. History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god. - Giulian Buzila

58. Atheism is a non-prophet organization. - George Carlin

59. We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further. - Richard Dawkins

60. A believer states everything must have a creator but fail to say how he was created. - Anonymous

61. “There are no atheists in foxholes” isn’t an argument against atheism, it’s an argument against foxholes. - James Morrow

62. People will then often say, ‘But surely it’s better to remain an Agnostic just in case?’ This, to me, suggests such a level of silliness and muddle that I usually edge out of the conversation rather than get sucked into it. (If it turns out that I’ve been wrong all along, and there is in fact a god, and if it further turned out that this kind of legalistic, cross-your-fingers-behind-your-back, Clintonian hair-splitting impressed him, then I think I would choose not to worship him anyway.) - Douglas Adams

63. Properly read, the bible is the most potent force for Atheism ever conceived. - Isaac Asimov

64. If all the Christians who have called other Christians “not really a Christian” were to vanish, there’d be no Christians left. - Anonymous

65. An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support. - John Buchan

66. Gods dont kill people. People with Gods kill people. - David Viaene

67. If God were suddenly condemned to live the life which He has inflicted upon men, He would kill Himself. - Alexandre Dumas

68. Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make when in the presence of religious dogma. - Sam Harris

69. I don’t believe in God because I don’t believe in Mother Goose - Clarence Darrow

70. No philosophy, no religion, has ever brought so glad a message to the world as this good news of Atheism. - Annie Wood Besant

71. I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m ‘bad’. - Mike Fuhrman

72. Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. - Frater Ravus

73. Believing there is no God gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-o, and all the other things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. - Penn Jillette

74. Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power but absolute power is corrupt only in the hands of the absolutely faithful. - Anonymous

75. Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense. - Chapman Cohen

76. The inspiration of the bible depends on the ignorance of the person who reads it. - Robert G. Ingersoll

77. When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

78. I wonder who got the **** job of scouring the planet for the 15000 species of butterfly or the 8800 species of ant they eventually took on board Noah’s Ark. But at least we got that magical rainbow for all their trouble. - Azura Skye

79. I have no need for religion, I have a conscience. - Anonymous

80. Man has always required an explanation for all of those things in the world he did not understand. If an explanation was not available, he created one. - Jim Crawford

81. I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

82. What has been Christianity’s fruits? Superstition, Bigotry and Persecution. - James Madison

83. The characters and events depicted in the damn bible are fictitious. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. - Penn and Teller

84. If god is the alpha and the omega. The begining and the end, knows what has passed and what is to come, like it states in the bible, why do people pray and think it will make any difference. - Mark Fairclough

85. The finality of death is the coldest truth one must face. Religion makes the perfect distraction. - Anonymous

86. Religion is the opiate of the masses. - Karl Marx

87. If God created the world, then who created god? and who created whoever created god? So somewhere along the line something had to just be there. So why can’t we just skip the idea of god and go straight to earth? - Ryan Hanson

88. If we expect God to subscribe to one religion at the exclusion of all the others, then we should expect damnation as a matter of chance. This should give Christians pause when expounding their religious beliefs, but it does not. - Sam Harris

89. Atheists will celebrate life, while you’re in church celebrating death. - Anonymous

90. Animals do not have gods, they are smarter than that. - Ronnie Snow

91. I have observed that the world has suffered far less from ignorance than from pretensions to knowledge. It is not skeptics or explorers but fanatics and ideologues who menace decency and progress. No agnostic ever burned anyone at the stake or tortured a pagan, a heretic, or an unbeliever. - Daniel Boorstin

92. I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the religious ideas of heaven and hell, of future life for individuals, or of a personal God. So far as religion of the day is concerned, it is a damned fake… Religion is all bunk. - Thomas Edison

93. Fundamentalism, of any type, due to its prerequisite lack of intelligent thought, could prove to be the worst weapon of mass destruction, of all. - David J. Constable

94. To really be free, You need to be free in the mind. - Alexander Loutsis

95. Most religions prophecy the end of the world and then consistently work together to ensure that these prophecies come true. - Anonymous

96. Jesus hardly made the greatest sacrifice. He knew he would be resurrected anyway. - Anonymous

97. Religion is like a virus that affects the behaviour of its host in such a way as to propagate itself further. - Jack Pritchard

98. Religions are like pills, which must be swallowed whole without chewing. - Thomas Hobbs

99. Today’s religion will be the future’s mythology. Both believed at one time by many; but proved wrong by the clever. - Steven Crocker

100. The Bible - A Fairytale book of rules brainwashing millions. Obliviously used to help create war, kill, hate, judge and discriminate. - Anonymous

101. Why can’t we see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? - Douglas Adams

102. People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs. - Anonymous

Sorry for the patterns I pasted it in...
but I love the last one.

RedStratocas
19-04-2009, 10:51 PM
How were we created? No scientist can explain that one, maybe religion can? :)

so what youre saying is if you cant explain something, obviously the answer is a supernatural being in the sky that no one has ever seen who makes it so.

thanks, that'll help me on my math exam.

Other people can have opinions that's fine, just shouldn't change other's.

why not? if everyone else's opinion was stabbing kittens is awesome, i'd try to change everyone else's opinion.

Ardemax
20-04-2009, 06:00 AM
so what youre saying is if you cant explain something, obviously the answer is a supernatural being in the sky that no one has ever seen who makes it so.

thanks, that'll help me on my math exam.

why not? if everyone else's opinion was stabbing kittens is awesome, i'd try to change everyone else's opinion.

relating to the thread you can't change people's opinion...

BlueRaven
20-04-2009, 07:14 AM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/ruzaila/GOD.jpg

He just doesn't like HXF that much.. hasn't logged in for a while.

le harry
21-04-2009, 06:12 AM
nice c+p ;)

hence why i put ~ George Carlin at the end :S:S

Rob-Guy2
21-04-2009, 07:24 AM
I think that a lot of people who do believe in God merely believe it because they need to believe that someone is there for them so they fall back onto religion for support and the belief that God is there to help them through their life.

A bit off Topic, but why do people even beleive in God and think he is the best person in the World? If they think God makes everything happen, there is Poverty, Starvation, Death, Illness, Tyranny. So if there really is a God, he should be Rebelled against, not worshipped.

Anyway, I don't believe in God, there is alot of Proof of Science creating the world, actual Physical Evidence, whereas there is absolutely no proof that God exists.

Ardemax
21-04-2009, 03:37 PM
A bit off Topic, but why do people even beleive in God and think he is the best person in the World? If they think God makes everything happen, there is Poverty, Starvation, Death, Illness, Tyranny. So if there really is a God, he should be Rebelled against, not worshipped.

Anyway, I don't believe in God, there is alot of Proof of Science creating the world, actual Physical Evidence, whereas there is absolutely no proof that God exists.

there's no rock solid proof that science created the world, and anyway, who created science?

hence why i put ~ George Carlin at the end :S:S

ye, that's why i said nice :P

Coheed&Cambria
21-04-2009, 06:37 PM
IMO, He doesent exist.

I'm not a scientologist, But science prooves Religion wrong (And in some cases, Religions proove other religions wrong.) First off, The bible says that the earth is 6000 years old. But carbon dating puts it around 1.5 billion years old (not exactly 1.5, but around that much anyway.) Next, All these powers that god supposedly had, Are not possible. Science prooves this wrong, By showing that it is impossible for a human to walk across water. Also, evolution proves religion wrong, as people weren't created as people, but micro-organisms that have evolved. Religion dislikes this fact as it rules out the story of Adam and Eve. And besides, In 6000 years, with 2 people, it is impossible to populate the planet as densely as it is now.

But even with all this, People wont give up believing in a higher power. As this gives them hope, Something to live and die for.

As for Heaven and hell, Why would a god banish people to an eternity of fire and agony simply for not blindly following his riddles? He seems to judge and forgive too much for a god.

And on top of all this, Its a 2000 year old book! Seems a bit good to be true.

Ardemax
21-04-2009, 07:06 PM
IMO, He doesent exist.

I'm not a scientologist, But science prooves Religion wrong (And in some cases, Religions proove other religions wrong.) First off, The bible says that the earth is 6000 years old. But carbon dating puts it around 1.5 billion years old (not exactly 1.5, but around that much anyway.) Next, All these powers that god supposedly had, Are not possible. Science prooves this wrong, By showing that it is impossible for a human to walk across water. Also, evolution proves religion wrong, as people weren't created as people, but micro-organisms that have evolved. Religion dislikes this fact as it rules out the story of Adam and Eve. And besides, In 6000 years, with 2 people, it is impossible to populate the planet as densely as it is now.

But even with all this, People wont give up believing in a higher power. As this gives them hope, Something to live and die for.

As for Heaven and hell, Why would a god banish people to an eternity of fire and agony simply for not blindly following his riddles? He seems to judge and forgive too much for a god.

And on top of all this, Its a 2000 year old book! Seems a bit good to be true.

You're getting caught up in your head here.
Who says the bible is against evolution? It doesn't speak a word about it.
6000 years, really?
Where you've talked about "Heaven and Hell" surely you don't understand that if people do something wrong for the whole of their life, they get punished?

If you want more ranting, do just say :P

jackass
21-04-2009, 07:17 PM

http://www.missiontoamerica.com/genesis/six-thousand-years.html ;)

Ardemax
21-04-2009, 08:57 PM
@above

the bible does not say a world of when the world was created/how long its been created for. :)

Dan2nd
21-04-2009, 08:59 PM

God is not a person lol God will often test his most faithful to see if they lose their faith in him look at the book of Job for instance.

But you are correct in wondering how we can all worship and God who brings evil to the world and thats why you should know that it is not God at all it is the fallen Angel 'Satan' who's soles misson is to tempt those most faithful away from God and to cause as much mayhem in the world as he can.

Moh
21-04-2009, 09:11 PM
@Zebroid

I liked this one "I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"

One thing that pissed me off is when science proves the existence of god wrong.

For example:

The Big Bang
The laws of Gravity
Evolution

they always reply "God did that.."

Ardemax
22-04-2009, 03:17 PM
@Zebroid

I liked this one "I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"

One thing that pissed me off is when science proves the existence of god wrong.

For example:

The Big Bang
The laws of Gravity
Evolution

they always reply "God did that.."

the thing is science can't gather 100% rock evidence of it, it's like particles. They think they're 99% sure of their shapes etc.

Loser
22-04-2009, 03:39 PM
nice c+p ;)

Apparently you don't need facts to have people believe your every word.

Isaac
06-06-2009, 01:39 AM
First of all, nobody can say that A god does not exist. As a matter of fact, as it stands right now, it would be almost laughable to deny the existence of a supreme being that created out universe.

As for who that being is, I don't know. I don't think we were meant to know in our time on Earth. I think were supposed to try and spend our time here to find out about ourselves through ourselves, not through a higher power, and I also think that is how it was intended.

Mentor
06-06-2009, 02:58 AM
No evidence that even implies the existence of a god has ever existed.

All evidence that has ever been collected though does specifically disprove the possibility of the gods specified in all religious texts, for example the bible. (this is that specific claims in the holy text are both factually incorrect and often logically absurd)

On this basis i think its pretty obvious god is as fictional as Timmy the invisible blue omniscient dinosaur or the flying spaghetti monster (although there is actually less evidence disproving the FSM than there is the standard Christian god)

First of all, nobody can say that A god does not exist. As a matter of fact, as it stands right now, it would be almost laughable to deny the existence of a supreme being that created out universe.
Evidence and logic wise quite the opposite is true, its somewhat laughable to still cling to the idea a supreme being would be necessary in order for are universe to come about, we aren't even particularly far off the level off doing it ourselves (LHC)
So i really have to call you out on the claim as i believe no valid evidence in existents today in anyway points towards or even implies your conclusion.

Technologic
06-06-2009, 01:40 PM
No, God does not exist in my opinion but he does in other's. So therefore the idea of God if fuelled by belief and therefore he must exist in the minds of millions of people.

Just not mine.

Kightly
06-06-2009, 08:40 PM
WHat is the evidence that God is real? What is the evidence that Jesus is real? What is the evidence of everything? Answer is that there is no evidence! People are just guessing about all of this stuff, its probley made up. If God was real where is the great god today?

N!ck
06-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Yes, of course I exist.

Grimmauld
07-06-2009, 05:59 AM
why wouldnt i believe that there is not a GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TinyFroggy
07-06-2009, 06:30 AM
Lol. Loads of those athies only prefer to one religious. In the whole world, they are loads of religion, for example Islamic, Buddhist and etc. If you want to proof that God doesnt exist you cant put a cover just by saying that Bible shows some lack and etc. Open up your mind dude.

Mentor
07-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Lol. Loads of those athies only prefer to one religious. In the whole world, they are loads of religion, for example Islamic, Buddhist and etc. If you want to proof that God doesnt exist you cant put a cover just by saying that Bible shows some lack and etc. Open up your mind dude.

Well Christians are more common, so more often the ones you end up auguring with. My original god dispute posted in here could be applied to pretty much any major religion. Equally Buddhism doesn't actually feature a god in it, so in simple terms is atheistic in itself?

Jahova
07-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Yes, God does exist.

FlyingJesus
07-06-2009, 06:10 PM

I agree that people shouldn't think the Christian god ("God") is the only possible deity but you picked two really bad examples lol - the Islamic deity is the same as the Christian one and Buddhism doesn't really have a god.

Catchy
07-06-2009, 08:08 PM
I don't believe he does.

Mickword
07-06-2009, 08:37 PM
A Practical Man's Proof of God

The purpose of this brief study is to offer a logical, practical, pragmatic proof of the existence of God from a purely scientific perspective. To do this, we are assuming that we exist, that there is reality, and that the matter of which we are made is real. If you do not believe that you exist, you have bigger problems than this study will entail and you will have to look elsewhere.

A Help in Understanding What God Is

To help the reader comprehend the nature of God, I would like to borrow an analogy from the book Flatland by Edwin Abbott.* Abbott was a mathematician and the model is geometric in nature. It was originally written in the 19th century for the purposes we are using it for here. Flatland is the story of a man who lives in a two dimensional world--like a sheet of paper. In the surface of the paper there is only length and width-there is no such thing as thickness. You and I are three-dimensional beings-we have length and width and frequently considerable thickness. You cannot get me, a three-dimensional being, into a two-dimensional sheet of paper. You can draw a front view of me (a portrait), but that is not the whole me. You can draw a top view of me which because I am bald, ends up being three concentric circles, but that is not the whole me. If you and I were to look at the man in Flatland, we would see him as a ....

Who Created God?

One question which inevitably comes up in a discussion of this nature is what is the origin of God? If God created matter/energy, and designed the systems that have propelled matter into its present arrangement, who or what accomplished that for God? Why is it any more reasonable to believe that God has always been than it is to say that matter has always been? As Carl Sagan has said, "If we say that God has always been, why not save a step and conclude that the universe has always been?" (Carl Sagan, Cosmos, [New York: Random House, Inc., 1980], p. 257).

What Was the Cause of the Beginning?

It is assumed that the reader has read the first two booklets in this series, one titled A Practical Man's Proof of God and the other A Help in Understanding What God Is. In these two booklets, we have established that all scientific evidence supports the fact that there was a beginning, and that the beginning was caused. We have also shown that the creator of time, space, and energy has to be something that is outside of time, space, and energy. The nature of the cause cannot be in the three-dimensional physical world in which we live and must be outside of time to have created time.

Why I Left Atheism

Of all the lessons that I present concerning the existence of God and of all the material that I try to make available to people to learn about God's existence, the present lesson, "Why I Left Atheism," is the lesson in the series that I frankly do not like to present. I guess none of us like to look back in our lives to a time when we made poor judgments and foolish mistakes--when we took rather really idiotic positions--and admit this, especially to people we are not well acquainted with. I present this lesson, however, because it is my fervent hope and prayer that perhaps by exposing my mistakes and by pointing out the things that were a part of my early life, some who might be following the same paths (to a greater or lesser extent) might not make those same mistakes.

God's Revelation in His Rocks and in His Word

This paper is a part of the Does God Exist? program which was begun in 1968 by John Clayton as an attempt to show that intelligent, scientifically literate, thinking people can and should believe in God and in the Bible as His Word. Your author, John Clayton, is a science teacher who began his teaching career in the public schools of South Bend, Indiana, in 1959 and has taught physics, chemistry, geology, astronomy, and physical science since that time. Since I was an atheist for many years and came to believe in God through my studies in science, it frustrated me to see students and parents who viewed faith and science as enemies.

The Problem of Human Suffering

Almost every time that I am involved in a lectureship on a college campus or a similar place I have people--young people usually--who will come to me and say, "Well all right, you've shown us that there is some evidence for God's existence, but if there is a God and if he is a loving and merciful God, how do you explain the problems of suffering and death and all the tragedies that happen to people?" Why is it that these things occur? I believe any question that man can ask has a reasonable answer-at least an answer that is as consistent with God's existence as it is in opposition to God's existence. And so, in the problem of human suffering and the problem of death and tragedies--things that happen to all of us--there are answers.

The Whiner's Guide to Chemotherapy

This is the epilogue for those of you who flip to the end of the book. I did make it! I'm 62!!! The exclamation points are because I didn't think I would see 50. God is so awesome! God would be awesome even if I had not seen 50, but it is amazing how He has made my cancers turn out for good--both mine and His. It feels great to feel great! Thank You, God!

The Real Jesus of History

Was the real Jesus of history one and the same as the Christ of faith whom we read about in the New Testament and worship in the church? Was Jesus really raised from the dead? Is he really the divine Lord of lords? Or is it possible that the portrait of the divine Son of God is an exaggeration, at best, or a complete fabrication, at worst, of the original Jesus? Could the one whom Christians worship be merely a mythological creation or is he real?

These questions have exercised many great minds and have been the dominant issue in New Testament studies during this century. Between 1910 and 1950 approximately 350 lives of Jesus were published in the English language alone. Since then the numbers have increased significantly.Not only are Christians writing about Jesus, but also Communists, Jews, atheists and agnostics are taking up their pens to paint a portrait of Jesus.

Personally, I think god does exist but, religion is belief without total proof.

Mentor
07-06-2009, 09:11 PM
A Practical Man's Proof of God

The purpose of this brief study is to offer a logical, practical, pragmatic proof of the existence of God from a purely scientific perspective. To do this, we are assuming that we exist, that there is reality, and that the matter of which we are made is real. If you do not believe that you exist, you have bigger problems than this study will entail and you will have to look elsewhere.

A Help in Understanding What God Is

To help the reader comprehend the nature of God, I would like to borrow an analogy from the book Flatland by Edwin Abbott.* Abbott was a mathematician and the model is geometric in nature. It was originally written in the 19th century for the purposes we are using it for here. Flatland is the story of a man who lives in a two dimensional world--like a sheet of paper. In the surface of the paper there is only length and width-there is no such thing as thickness. You and I are three-dimensional beings-we have length and width and frequently considerable thickness. You cannot get me, a three-dimensional being, into a two-dimensional sheet of paper. You can draw a front view of me (a portrait), but that is not the whole me. You can draw a top view of me which because I am bald, ends up being three concentric circles, but that is not the whole me. If you and I were to look at the man in Flatland, we would see him as a ....

Who Created God?

One question which inevitably comes up in a discussion of this nature is what is the origin of God? If God created matter/energy, and designed the systems that have propelled matter into its present arrangement, who or what accomplished that for God? Why is it any more reasonable to believe that God has always been than it is to say that matter has always been? As Carl Sagan has said, "If we say that God has always been, why not save a step and conclude that the universe has always been?" (Carl Sagan, Cosmos, [New York: Random House, Inc., 1980], p. 257).

What Was the Cause of the Beginning?

It is assumed that the reader has read the first two booklets in this series, one titled A Practical Man's Proof of God and the other A Help in Understanding What God Is. In these two booklets, we have established that all scientific evidence supports the fact that there was a beginning, and that the beginning was caused. We have also shown that the creator of time, space, and energy has to be something that is outside of time, space, and energy. The nature of the cause cannot be in the three-dimensional physical world in which we live and must be outside of time to have created time.

Why I Left Atheism

Of all the lessons that I present concerning the existence of God and of all the material that I try to make available to people to learn about God's existence, the present lesson, "Why I Left Atheism," is the lesson in the series that I frankly do not like to present. I guess none of us like to look back in our lives to a time when we made poor judgments and foolish mistakes--when we took rather really idiotic positions--and admit this, especially to people we are not well acquainted with. I present this lesson, however, because it is my fervent hope and prayer that perhaps by exposing my mistakes and by pointing out the things that were a part of my early life, some who might be following the same paths (to a greater or lesser extent) might not make those same mistakes.

God's Revelation in His Rocks and in His Word

This paper is a part of the Does God Exist? program which was begun in 1968 by John Clayton as an attempt to show that intelligent, scientifically literate, thinking people can and should believe in God and in the Bible as His Word. Your author, John Clayton, is a science teacher who began his teaching career in the public schools of South Bend, Indiana, in 1959 and has taught physics, chemistry, geology, astronomy, and physical science since that time. Since I was an atheist for many years and came to believe in God through my studies in science, it frustrated me to see students and parents who viewed faith and science as enemies.

The Problem of Human Suffering

Almost every time that I am involved in a lectureship on a college campus or a similar place I have people--young people usually--who will come to me and say, "Well all right, you've shown us that there is some evidence for God's existence, but if there is a God and if he is a loving and merciful God, how do you explain the problems of suffering and death and all the tragedies that happen to people?" Why is it that these things occur? I believe any question that man can ask has a reasonable answer-at least an answer that is as consistent with God's existence as it is in opposition to God's existence. And so, in the problem of human suffering and the problem of death and tragedies--things that happen to all of us--there are answers.

The Whiner's Guide to Chemotherapy

This is the epilogue for those of you who flip to the end of the book. I did make it! I'm 62!!! The exclamation points are because I didn't think I would see 50. God is so awesome! God would be awesome even if I had not seen 50, but it is amazing how He has made my cancers turn out for good--both mine and His. It feels great to feel great! Thank You, God!

The Real Jesus of History

Was the real Jesus of history one and the same as the Christ of faith whom we read about in the New Testament and worship in the church? Was Jesus really raised from the dead? Is he really the divine Lord of lords? Or is it possible that the portrait of the divine Son of God is an exaggeration, at best, or a complete fabrication, at worst, of the original Jesus? Could the one whom Christians worship be merely a mythological creation or is he real?

These questions have exercised many great minds and have been the dominant issue in New Testament studies during this century. Between 1910 and 1950 approximately 350 lives of Jesus were published in the English language alone. Since then the numbers have increased significantly.Not only are Christians writing about Jesus, but also Communists, Jews, atheists and agnostics are taking up their pens to paint a portrait of Jesus.

Personally, I think god does exist but, religion is belief without total proof.

Ok, thanks for copy and pasteing http://www.doesgodexist.org/ for us all, but posting random links seems a bit pointless to me. Espeally when your posting a selection of headings and descriptions that lack any solid body beyond so unbacked up claims.

Even in the above a number of mistakes are made, for example the absurd assertion that because the universe began it had a cause? Cause and effects even if we ignore the bit logical leaps involved in asserting its validity cannot operate outside of a linear sequence of time, before the universe, aka before time, cause and effect are totally meaningless terms?

Equally, your describing faith not religion, religion is simply an organized grouping of people whom follow a particular concept of a deity described in some form of religious text.

Ignoring that, rather than pointless quoting the Internet, id like to invite you to actually enter the debate and provide your own reasoning, which can then be discussed. If we wanted quotes of long debunked ramblings we have google :)

Chippiewill
10-06-2009, 09:54 PM
I run off the theory which is put foward by the Stargate Franchise, more importantly the 'multi-universe' theory. This means that there are theoretically unlimited universes in each one a seperate set of actions of ecological changes happen in each one. Therefore anything which seems like a miricle then makes more sense as it would have to happen in some universe and once again happens in potentially unlimited universes all slightly different.

I also run off the Alternate Timeline theory, the way I think about this (Basically I have been to lazy to quantify it) is that the timeline is essentially looping back on itself (Refer to Figure A)

Figure A, the box is the universe, time passes from right to left, the red line is the timeline of actions this happens when someone travels back in time and changes something (Without enacting a paradox)

http://i39.tinypic.com/dm8zno.jpg

So basically putting together everything that I have stated (Also adding all the theories that I believe in like people believe in religion) I come to the conclusion that a god would not need exist however may have set off the universes. However due to neither space or time not existing outside any of the universes it would be impossible of finding anyway to tell in the first place. Simply speaking if a god did or does exist then it does not play an active roll in the universe. Of course my main theory is that god and religion are an invention to keep people orginised and to keep power (Like the Asgard in SG-1 pretending to be Norse Gods for the 'young' civilisations)

Accipiter
11-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I run off the theory which is put foward by the Stargate Franchise, more importantly the 'multi-universe' theory. This means that there are theoretically unlimited universes in each one a seperate set of actions of ecological changes happen in each one. Therefore anything which seems like a miricle then makes more sense as it would have to happen in some universe and once again happens in potentially unlimited universes all slightly different.

I also run off the Alternate Timeline theory, the way I think about this (Basically I have been to lazy to quantify it) is that the timeline is essentially looping back on itself (Refer to Figure A)

Figure A, the box is the universe, time passes from right to left, the red line is the timeline of actions this happens when someone travels back in time and changes something (Without enacting a paradox)

So basically putting together everything that I have stated (Also adding all the theories that I believe in like people believe in religion) I come to the conclusion that a god would not need exist however may have set off the universes. However due to neither space or time not existing outside any of the universes it would be impossible of finding anyway to tell in the first place. Simply speaking if a god did or does exist then it does not play an active roll in the universe. Of course my main theory is that god and religion are an invention to keep people orginised and to keep power (Like the Asgard in SG-1 pretending to be Norse Gods for the 'young' civilisations)

the universe is a shape that exists in a different dimension, they called it 4d, but the basic shape actually is suppose to be shaped like a donut, as if you out one side you come back via another.

One easy slip in the bibles words is this "God created everything"

My question is, Who created god?

Misawa
11-06-2009, 04:26 PM
There is no "God", there are no gods, there never has been and there never will. Science and logic proves it. It's a shame that some people waste their lives believing in a pack of lies.

Mentor
11-06-2009, 05:13 PM

I dont think SG can really be credited for the scientific theories it makes reference to in its programming. Most the theories were suggested long before the advent of original SG movie, neverlone the series :p

The timelines looping back in themselves confuses me a little as thats a total misfit with the concept of all possible eventuality playing out in infinite series of branches, since youd then be implying a central universe or timeline. Time being part of a universe as opposed to a separate entity?

Its hard to argue that religion isnt at its heart generally a means to control people, though i would disagree with you (or at least my perceived implication) in that its done for benevolent reasons. Religion in my eyes generally seems to take the Goa'uld god impersonation approach :p

But totally agree on the god isnt required, though would take it further to say got is actually not even implicated and is in fact very unlikely :)

AlexOC
15-06-2009, 12:13 AM
I think GOD is whatever you want it do be (sounds cheesy)

Its a thing people create inside themselves, that can guide them through out their lives.

Mentor
15-06-2009, 10:34 PM
I think GOD is whatever you want it do be (sounds cheesy)

Its a thing people create inside themselves, that can guide them through out their lives.

So kinda like an imaginary friend, except you wont end up in the phyc ward if you talk to him :P

Roboevil
17-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Look; The Bible was written by a very primitive civilisation, with little technology about 1500 years ago. IT MUST BE TRUE!!!!

Ontario
17-06-2009, 07:22 PM
In my Christian life experience Yes. But i can see why people don't and respect that but i just what people to give God and chance.

Mentor
17-06-2009, 07:53 PM
In my Christian life experience Yes. But i can see why people don't and respect that but i just what people to give God and chance.
Would you say the same about giving Allah a chance? Zeus? Rah? Barny the inviable blue dinosaur?

If your asking people to give a concept a chance without a reason, then where exactly do you draw the line? and by what standard seeing as Barney and the Christan conception of god are almost equally likely (Barney is actually more likely, only one contradiction verse a few 1000)

Misawa
17-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Would you say the same about giving Allah a chance? Zeus? Rah? Barny the inviable blue dinosaur?

If your asking people to give a concept a chance without a reason, then where exactly do you draw the line? and by what standard seeing as Barney and the Christan conception of god are almost equally likely (Barney is actually more likely, only one contradiction verse a few 1000)

Yes, because at least Barney existed in the form of guys within a suit.

LuketheDuke
17-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Something came from nothing, whatever that was I'd define as G*d

Mentor
17-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Something came from nothing, whatever that was I'd define as G*d
The universe? Also the term "come from" is misleading as cause and effect are totally irrelevant to time and its origins.

LuketheDuke
17-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I havent studied Physics, Philosophy instead so my views are probably silly I know.

Im too close minded to believe in the Universe (yea what I meant) being constant and timeless, I just have belief in some sort of cosmological trigger.

Ontario
18-06-2009, 07:04 AM

Well i wouldn't say the same for Allah or Zeus or any other god because it isn't my God who i know. The Christian faith isn't about proof of exsistence its about faith of exsisitence. So i can share my faith with people but im not trying to force it on people because its not like i need to get brownie points to go to heaven. Jesus wants to know each person not the good deeds that they do. Good deeds come with living a Christian life.
Are you saying that you won't do anything or try anything in life if you can't see reason for it?

Roboevil
18-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Jesus wants to know each person not the good deeds that they do. Good deeds come with living a Christian life.
Are you saying that you won't do anything or try anything in life if you can't see reason for it?

I don't know why people need to believe in made up stories to live a good life.

I don't get religion, it's full of so many holes.

Gemma
18-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Im supposed to believe, as my family is catholic, but tbh i dnt believe in god, i believe in evolution.

Accipiter
18-06-2009, 03:06 PM
@Luketheduke, most of it came out of a bulls arse.

@Ontario, You'd be amazed how many extra pages have been added to the bible within people questioning it, Theirs apparently a quote that said god created everything, Who created god? Mentors barney?

And i believe the universe does go on forever, theirs never the impossibilty of forever.

I worship myself and do what ever i decide, God sits behind the moon were he's never visible, If he appeared on my toast i'd obviously believe in him though. :rolleyes:

Laurensh1
18-06-2009, 04:09 PM
You should check some of the anti-creationists vids on youtube, those creationists are talking themselves out and down their points all the time.

Anyway, for sure, there is no God. There's never been any proof of that there is ;) all proof that god does not exists is true.

Shockwave.2CC
18-06-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't beleive in god myself

Because Christians say that heaven is on top of the clouds aswell as god.

When you go in a plane and go above the clouds, have you ever seen god or heaven?

No offence to the believers

Ontario
18-06-2009, 06:24 PM
One thing that is really highlighted here is the amount of things that people believe that we as Christian believe and say about God which is actually not true, and is actually what people have come to a conclusion about because they are not able to put God in a box and say "God is this..." (just for the record i have been a Christian for like 2 years and no Christian in the world is able to put God into a human perspective because God is beyond our thinking.)
I would like to explain more but i feel it will turn into an argument not a debate.

Accipiter
18-06-2009, 06:44 PM
if god is beyond our thinking then how come we can think of him. Were one of the most imaginative species in the world, Telling us what god is isn't going to us explode on the spot.

Ontario
18-06-2009, 08:12 PM
if god is beyond our thinking then how come we can think of him. Were one of the most imaginative species in the world, Telling us what god is isn't going to us explode on the spot.
I did not actually mean it as we are unable to think about God because that is obvious but what i mean is that we are unable to understand God.

Accipiter
18-06-2009, 09:07 PM
That would because we can't understand something which is a harry potter book of 207ac

Keri?!
18-06-2009, 09:10 PM
In my opinion, God doesn't exist, I believe that everything is down to science personally.

Ontario
19-06-2009, 07:35 AM
That would because we can't understand something which is a harry potter book of 207ac
Makes no sense :S

RandomManJay
19-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Makes no sense :S

Maybe he ment to say 2007AD :S?

Accipiter
19-06-2009, 09:51 AM
I mean't the bible is basically J.K Rollings novel of jesus's times.

RandomManJay
19-06-2009, 09:59 AM
I mean't the bible is basically J.K Rollings novel of jesus's times.

It's a bit random lol, J.K Rowling's got nothing to do with the bible xD!

Accipiter
19-06-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm saying the bible is basically a bull **** story, its like believing voldermort will be shooting spells at you one morning.

jackass
19-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm saying the bible is basically a bull **** story, its like believing voldermort will be shooting spells at you one morning.

Oh dear.

RandomManJay
19-06-2009, 03:20 PM

He will! :)

Oleh
19-06-2009, 05:20 PM
I believe the big bang theory and all that, but god is just a made up figure to keep people believing in something and jesus is a hidden affair gone to far

Ontario
19-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Yeah they are both just like each other:rolleyes:. Have you actually read a good chunk of the Bible?

Accipiter
19-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I'd rather hit myself to the ground with a good chunk of the bible.

Its ******** face it, Gordon browns probaly adding something about "Second homes are a sin" right now.

Ontario
20-06-2009, 07:50 AM
I'd rather hit myself to the ground with a good chunk of the bible.

Its ******** face it, Gordon browns probaly adding something about "Second homes are a sin" right now.

Ok well debate is over for me, its just my word against yours :)

Ask God to reveal himself to you and he will do so:)

Peace out.

Roboevil
20-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Religion just doesn't make sense. Whoever made it up was very ignorant. It's all very observational, with little research.

Mentor
20-06-2009, 11:58 PM
One thing that is really highlighted here is the amount of things that people believe that we as Christian believe and say about God which is actually not true, and is actually what people have come to a conclusion about because they are not able to put God in a box and say "God is this..." (just for the record i have been a Christian for like 2 years and no Christian in the world is able to put God into a human perspective because God is beyond our thinking.)
I would like to explain more but i feel it will turn into an argument not a debate.
I think your in the wrong religion then, as Christan, or at least the bible which is the single source for all Christian knowable, does make the claim god is very much within the scope of human understanding. It even claims he looks like us (we're made in his image after all)

God as a concept is quite easily dependable via the means you suggest, the Christian conception though is not as it makes, a great number of specific claims about god and his nature, most of which can be tested and disproved readily. The problem of evil, or the contradiction of omnipotence are easy examples of this.

Ok well debate is over for me, its just my word against yours :)

Ask God to reveal himself to you and he will do so:)

Peace out.
I asked and he didn't. Should i take that as conclusive indubitable proof of gods existence? As if so, this debate really is over :P
Although if he is answering, hearing voices is generally a good reason to take to a psychiatrist, despite what the bible (or G.W.Bush) may tell you, it really isn't healthy o.0

Nxrissa
21-06-2009, 03:23 PM
i will never belive in god. tbh
to me it sounds like some blokes wrote a book about his opinions on life in a weird way and named it the bible. but thats my opinion.

Pienesse
24-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Surely a big bang can't have created all this that is around now and given humans knowledge.

There must be something much more advanced.

Drink.
24-06-2009, 09:01 PM
God is Simon Cowell.

Mentor
24-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Surely a big bang can't have created all this that is around now and given humans knowledge.

There must be something much more advanced.
Two big problems with that.

1) How on earth did you get to that conclusion? its totally baseless and you haven't backed it up in the slightest. Also, humans gain knowledge via learning, what i suspect you meant to say was how we gained are sapience wich can be explained easily within the scope of evolution.

2) Even if we ignore the above problem, a more advanced thing simultaneously doesn't solve the problem, just raises the question of where the more advanced thing came from, and equally is less likely as your asking for something even more complicated to arise simply by chance??
Occam's razor definitely sides with big bang on this front :p

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!