PDA

View Full Version : Transfuring files?

Swinkid
15-02-2009, 11:47 AM
So yeh, im getting a new pc thats arriving thursday.

I Was thinking on setting up a home network just to move the files i need. (Like warcraft patches, as i really cba re downloading them.) This would go through a router, but how would i do it?
I've only ever managed to do this from linux >> Windows XP. But, now i need to do it from XP >> Vista.

+Rep to all help

Many thanks, Swinkid.

Agnostic Bear
15-02-2009, 11:49 AM
So yeh, im getting a new pc thats arriving thursday.

I Was thinking on setting up a home network just to move the files i need. (Like warcraft patches, as i really cba re downloading them.) This would go through a router, but how would i do it?
I've only ever managed to do this from linux >> Windows XP. But, now i need to do it from XP >> Vista.

+Rep to all help

Many thanks, Swinkid.

Don't you have a spell checker for the title box? I mean I do, keeps my spelling pristine if I mess it up.

Copying a file over a network is easy just enable network sharing in both xp and vista and it'll magically connect and you can D&D if you so wish.

scottish
15-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Once you allow network sharing you'll have to right click the folders you want to share (or just C:\ in general) and go to share then check the box :P

Jordy
15-02-2009, 12:13 PM
You can also use 'Windows Easy Transfer', when they're both connected to the network, select 'Windows Easy Transfer' on the Vista PC, download it for Windows XP and then it'll transfer Windows settings across the network (Desktop backgrounds etc).

But yeah to do things like WoW patches you'll have to do that the way the people above suggested.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!