PDA

View Full Version : How to code a three column layout in valid xHTML and CSS

engaged
16-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Okay so today we will be coding a very simple 3 column layout in valid xHTML and CSS. If you don't know the basics of these languages already, I suggest you go learn 'em. Lets start with the full source code.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>2 Column layout</title>
<style type="text/css">
body{
background:#333;
font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;
font-size: 10px;
}

#wrapper{
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
width: 900px;
}

#leftbox{
background: #9C0;
float: left;
padding: 3px;
width: 150px;
color:#333;
}

#rightbox{
}

#mainbox{
width: 550px;
margin-left: 10px;
margin-right: 10px;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>

<div id="wrapper">

<div id="leftbox">
Maecenas tellus dolor, vehicula eu, rhoncus sed, commodo vitae, eros. Aliquam auctor faucibus elit. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Morbi imperdiet libero id nisl. Proin turpis dolor, viverra sit amet, posuere sed, convallis a, ligula. Fusce cursus lectus non dolor tempus molestie. Nam a mi et mi ultricies molestie. Pellentesque interdum feugiat sem. Duis consectetur. Donec condimentum pellentesque risus.
</div>

<div id="mainbox">
Maecenas tellus dolor, vehicula eu, rhoncus sed, commodo vitae, eros. Aliquam auctor faucibus elit. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Morbi imperdiet libero id nisl. Proin turpis dolor, viverra sit amet, posuere sed, convallis a, ligula. Fusce cursus lectus non dolor tempus molestie. Nam a mi et mi ultricies molestie. Pellentesque interdum feugiat sem. Duis consectetur. Donec condimentum pellentesque risus. Maecenas tellus dolor, vehicula eu, rhoncus sed, commodo vitae, eros. Aliquam auctor faucibus elit. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Morbi imperdiet libero id nisl. Proin turpis dolor, viverra sit amet, posuere sed, convallis a, ligula. Fusce cursus lectus non dolor tempus molestie. Nam a mi et mi ultricies molestie. Pellentesque interdum feugiat sem. Duis consectetur. Donec condimentum pellentesque risus. Maecenas tellus dolor, vehicula eu, rhoncus sed, commodo vitae, eros. Aliquam auctor faucibus elit. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Morbi imperdiet libero id nisl. Proin turpis dolor, viverra sit amet, posuere sed, convallis a, ligula. Fusce cursus lectus non dolor tempus molestie. Nam a mi et mi ultricies molestie. Pellentesque interdum feugiat sem. Duis consectetur. Donec condimentum pellentesque risus.
</div>

<div id="rightbox">
Maecenas tellus dolor, vehicula eu, rhoncus sed, commodo vitae, eros. Aliquam auctor faucibus elit. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Morbi imperdiet libero id nisl. Proin turpis dolor, viverra sit amet, posuere sed, convallis a, ligula. Fusce cursus lectus non dolor tempus molestie. Nam a mi et mi ultricies molestie. Pellentesque interdum feugiat sem. Duis consectetur. Donec condimentum pellentesque risus.
</div>

</div>

</body>
</html>
Feel free to take this away and pretend you made it, I dont mind, but surely you would like to know how it works? Lets break it apart bit by bit.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
That is telling the browser viewing the page the version of html. In this case it's XHTML 1.0 Transitional.1

Then you have the <head> with your meta stuff and title, and the style..

<style type="text/css">
body{
background:#333; /* The background colour */
font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; /* The font family */
font-size: 10px; /* The font size */
}

#wrapper{
margin-left: auto; /* This basically centers the div */
margin-right: auto; /* This basically centers the div */
width: 900px;
}

#leftbox{
background: #9C0; /* The background colour (a nice lime green) */
float: left; /* This makes the div float left */
color:#333; /* The font colour (a dark gray) */
}

#rightbox{
}

#mainbox{
width: 550px;
margin-left: 10px; /* Creates a 10 pixel margin to the left of the div */
margin-right: 10px; /* Creates a 10 pixel margin to the right of the div */
}
</style>
If you look through that code, i have commented on important bits.
Now if you clever, you may have noticed that all of the boxes have the same float:left attribute. No, i'm not stupid. I would tell you why this happens and all the thoery stuff, but honestly I dont know. All you need to know is that when two divs and floating in the same direction, they will be placed next to eachother,
unless..
+ The divs combined width (and margins) is wider than the viewers browsers set width, in which case they will go ontop of eachother

You will also notice I didnt add any height:x attributes, this makes the divs expand. Thats basically all you need to know.

Live preview: http://jackinnes.net/tutorial.html

Quoted from my account on CHF and HAF.

Kieran
16-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Good job :)
Always good to see someone trying to teach others. If I wasn't so busy I'd consider writing a few coding and design tutorials myself :)

Mistajam
16-02-2009, 10:10 PM
its not teaching people how to code a three column LAYOUT but its telling them how to create three columns in css, xhtml.
But still, as quoted from above, its nice to see someone lending a hand.

Kieran
16-02-2009, 10:27 PM
You know what I mean though. Its vary rare on here nowadays to see people helping others. Its mainly just flaming this and flaming that

hamheyelliot
16-02-2009, 10:46 PM
I think it's a great job you've done and all..
But I've found a tonne of Valid Box Templates @ www.mycelly.com, so I'd just make use of the resources, no?

Mistajam
16-02-2009, 10:56 PM
no, cos you'll never learn to do it your self.

engaged
17-02-2009, 02:10 AM
its not teaching people how to code a three column LAYOUT but its telling them how to create three columns in css, xhtml.
But still, as quoted from above, its nice to see someone lending a hand.

It's a layout, a website template.

[Oli]
19-02-2009, 03:32 PM
You should add the following to the code when working with float's.
Because if people use your tutorial, and they want to add another div, they might/will look messed up once they add another div.

Adding a div with style: clear: both; after the right box would/should fix that.

CSS

.clearboxes {
clear: both;
}

HTML

<body>

<div id="wrapper">

<div id="leftbox">
</div>

<div id="mainbox">
Maecenas tellus dolor, vehicula eu, rhoncus sed, commodo vitae, eros. Aliquam auctor faucibus elit. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Morbi imperdiet libero id nisl. Proin turpis dolor, viverra sit amet, posuere sed, convallis a, ligula. Fusce cursus lectus non dolor tempus molestie. Nam a mi et mi ultricies molestie. Pellentesque interdum feugiat sem. Duis consectetur. Donec condimentum pellentesque risus. Maecenas tellus dolor, vehicula eu, rhoncus sed, commodo vitae, eros. Aliquam auctor faucibus elit. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Morbi imperdiet libero id nisl. Proin turpis dolor, viverra sit amet, posuere sed, convallis a, ligula. Fusce cursus lectus non dolor tempus molestie. Nam a mi et mi ultricies molestie. Pellentesque interdum feugiat sem. Duis consectetur. Donec condimentum pellentesque risus. Maecenas tellus dolor, vehicula eu, rhoncus sed, commodo vitae, eros. Aliquam auctor faucibus elit. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Morbi imperdiet libero id nisl. Proin turpis dolor, viverra sit amet, posuere sed, convallis a, ligula. Fusce cursus lectus non dolor tempus molestie. Nam a mi et mi ultricies molestie. Pellentesque interdum feugiat sem. Duis consectetur. Donec condimentum pellentesque risus.
</div>

<div id="rightbox">
</div>

<div class="clearboxes"></div>

</div>

</body>

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!