PDA

View Full Version : Fake town CLOSED!!

Swinkid
16-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Correction: Faketown Closes Due to Bankruptcy; Technology Up for Auction

If you go to Faketown now, you'll be prompted for a user name and password. That's for the site itself, not the virtual world. The virtual world has been forced into bankruptcy due to a lack of funding, explained Bart Yeary, co-founder and chief creative officer of Identity Play, the company behind Faketown. According to a long-time user, the site first went down for maintenance for several weeks during June and returned an error message in July before finally going behind a password prompt now.

When the virtual world launched in 2006, though, Faketown was prompted Mashable to ask if it was the the next Habbo Hotel and was called "ambitious" by GigaOM.

Just over a year ago, we spoke to Yeary and CEO Michelle Ogata about a carbon reductions campaign in Faketown produced through a partnership with the World Wildlife Fund, though the partnership was done on a pro bono basis to help the WWF. . The partnership brought in revenue for Faketown, but ran "on a small budget." At the time, Yeary and Ogata said Faketown was drawing 35,000 unique users per month. That's already more robust than some new virtual worlds, but the two had plans to increase advertising for the virtual world to grow its population.

Regardless, the increasingly crowded youth market--the majority of Faketown's users were teens--and challenges of monetization--Faketown sold sold "fake coins" to users and advertising to brands--has led some to speculate that there's not as much room for non-brand-based virtual worlds. Yeary, though, believes there are still opportunities, even for Faketown.

"The site and underlying technology are currently on auction to the highest bidder," said Yeary via email. "We still believe in the product and we are optimistic that someone will see the value in re-establishing the community."

Interested parties can view a video walkthrough of Faketown or contact the trustee, Timothy J. Yoo of Robinson, Diamant & Wolkowitz, APC, for more information.

We'll be following up with Yeary tomorrow for more the full story and his take. Check back later for more information.

Corrected: I originally reported that the World Wildlife Fund partnership was revenue generating. It was done on a pro bono basis.

Original Post: http://www.virtualworldsnews.com/2008/07/faketown-closes.html

sad - was a pretty good game!

rnix
18-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I swear it closed down long ago? :S

ReviewDude
18-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Did anyone lose anything they'd paid for? What was the game like?

Bren
18-02-2009, 06:40 PM
July 28, 2008

yeah it's been closed for ages now and it's also been posted before i think.

iAdam
18-02-2009, 06:42 PM
I prefer'd the old version of it, sad to see it go, about a year ago, anyone know any retros of the old version?

rnix
18-02-2009, 06:44 PM
I played it like in year 8 lol
x

Cyndia
18-02-2009, 07:21 PM
I played it reeeally briefly way long back when it first opened. I literally only went on maybe twice though because I thought it was lame in comparison to habbo. That is a shame it closed though! I'm sure there were people that played it often that were highly disappointed..

Gangster
18-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Was that that game where at the beginning they give you enough money to buy a house, and there was that thing where you click to get money?

Because that was crap.

rnix
19-02-2009, 11:57 AM
noo i havent ever played this game loool!
wrong game :P

GoldenMerc
19-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Is this the game you could do dirty dancing o.O

Heart Break Kid
19-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Was that that game where at the beginning they give you enough money to buy a house, and there was that thing where you click to get money?

Because that was crap.

nah that was the virtual reality one second life

i think

Minstrels
19-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Was this the game which got shut down for being a pile of ****?

Invent
19-02-2009, 12:54 PM
nah that was the virtual reality one second life

i think

No, it was the original Faketown client. In the old one you clicked bottles in some factory room and you got money for doing it lol.

Gangster
19-02-2009, 02:03 PM
No, it was the original Faketown client. In the old one you clicked bottles in some factory room and you got money for doing it lol.
I thought it was that, that was whack imo.

Heart Break Kid
19-02-2009, 02:04 PM

lol ahh rite lol

haha that sounds rubbish
no wonder it failed lol

Swinkid
19-02-2009, 07:17 PM
lol ahh rite lol

haha that sounds rubbish
no wonder it failed lol

Although it was 2D, it actually was good before its ending, when it first opend it was pretty crap.

Attached
22-01-2017, 09:39 PM
Sorry if bumping this thread is an issue but I'd like to comment on this because I can't find anything online about it.

As a kid online there were three very similar websites; Habbo, Coke Music, and Fake Town (coincidentally ranked in order of best to worst).

The only things I can really remember about Fake Town was that I was given an apartment with a fair bit of furniture for free at the start, and to earn money you had to either go to a club and double click on a band who were performing, or go to a bottling factory and click on bottles.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry if bumping this thread is an issue but I'd like to comment on this because I can't find anything online about it.

As a kid online there were three very similar websites; Habbo, Coke Music, and Fake Town (coincidentally ranked in order of best to worst).

The only things I can really remember about Fake Town was that I was given an apartment with a fair bit of furniture for free at the start, and to earn money you had to either go to a club and double click on a band who were performing, or go to a bottling factory and click on bottles.

Manji
26-10-2017, 09:55 PM
i tried it before but didnt really like it

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!