PDA

View Full Version : just wondering..

lew!
17-02-2009, 02:10 AM
Im just wondering, Has a meteor ever actually hit earth or do they just burn up before it hits the ground.

Also, an astroid, are there any videos of small astroid's hitting earth? not simulations :P

17-02-2009, 02:31 AM
I dont think any meteors have actually reached earth but i could be wrong
dont hold me to it

lew!
17-02-2009, 12:01 PM
but astroids have I think.. I think one over russia about 50 years ago?

leah
17-02-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't have a clue
why don't you google it?

Janeisntpleased
17-02-2009, 06:18 PM
didn't a meteor kill the dinosaurs ?

Minstrels
17-02-2009, 06:23 PM
I don't have a clue
why don't you google it?
Nice post count.

Edited by MattGarner (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly. This includes going off-topic.

PaintYourTarget
17-02-2009, 06:25 PM
All the time. There's so much debris in space it's impossible for us to not get hit.

James!
17-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Wasn't the Earth created from a meteor? (Big bang theory)

Mint
17-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Im just wondering, Has a meteor ever actually hit earth or do they just burn up before it hits the ground.

Also, an astroid, are there any videos of small astroid's hitting earth? not simulations :P
one landed in my back garden last week.

i've seen millions of simulations though.

LoveToStack
17-02-2009, 07:37 PM
meteor crator in arizona;

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/science/kiefer/Education/SSRG2-Craters/meteor_crater.gif

Virgin Mary
17-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Yes, when one hits the earth it's called a meteorite. There's giant craters all over the earth that are the results of impacts and a huge one is supposed to have caused the dinosaurs to die out in one way or another.

Barmi
17-02-2009, 08:28 PM
And you just confirmed my suspicion: you are not the brightest spanner in the tool box. You are confusing the commonly accepted scientific view on creation (Big Bang theory) with the commonly accepted scientific view on the extinction of dinosaurs (the large meteor hitting). These two are not synonymous.

To the OP: you might find the following entry interesting. Also check out any related links in the entry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

leah
17-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Nice post count.
Hardly, I suggested google because im sure that would have the answer.

luce
17-02-2009, 09:57 PM
don't they just break up in the earths atmosphere

Jesus-Egg
17-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Of course they do, meteors hit the Earth all the time. Small ones break up from the immense heat generated as they enter Earth's atmosphere, but larger ones do survive to the surface. However, really large ones have the potential to create a lot of damage, and a responsible for several mass extinctions.

Ignoring the big bang bit, you are kind of right. During the formation of the solar system, the Sun was surrounded by a huge disk of dust, which over time clumped together, forming planetesimals, which attracted each other, and collided, getting bigger and bigger, eventually forming all the planets as we see them today.

Zak
17-02-2009, 11:43 PM
ye there are numerous meteor craters scattered around the earth

I also heard like the others are saying that a huge meteor or asteroid strike killed off the dinosaurs

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!