PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand job applications :l

Moh
17-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Well I applied for a job at Vue, under "Vue Students", yet they ask for experience.

How on earth is a student, whos most probably gone straight to College/Uni going to have the experience they require?

What makes it worse, they say you go on a training course before hand :l

I fail :(

Skajo
17-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Work Experience / Trident.

That's all you need bud.

alexxxxx
17-02-2009, 02:47 PM
just put any work exp. down or volunteer work.

i uhno.

Pyroka
17-02-2009, 02:49 PM
It'd be like any job or Voluntary work, plus anything relating to the actual job you're applying for.

Moh
17-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Work Experience / Trident.

That's all you need bud.
And you get work experience how?

Every job which actually suits my needs (Hours etc..) they ask for experience.

Which I cant get because everywhere asks for experience (So I can't exactly gain it)

Charlie
17-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Work Experience you did when you were in school? That's what I put down when they ask for experience, even if it doesn't relate to the job it's some experience in work.

leah
17-02-2009, 03:00 PM
write where you went on work experience, we were doing CVs the other day and our tutor said that work exp counts

Moh
17-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Work Experience you did when you were in school? That's what I put down when they ask for experience, even if it doesn't relate to the job it's some experience in work.

write where you went on work experience, we were doing CVs the other day and our tutor said that work exp counts
Tried that, but they want more than 2 weeks experience, or experience in retail.

I worked in a school, only good if I was applying for a paint mixer.

[DC]eption
17-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Make up something up :P everyone bends the truth a little on their CV

Barmi
17-02-2009, 07:09 PM
On an application form work with what you have got. Even if you put "no relevant experience" (though it is best to put something if you have it), you are not necessarily going to be rejected on paper. Other aspects of the application form may stand out, and they may want to interview you.

As you said yourself, they are looking for students who will have very limited experience anyway. I know from experience that this will not be a large factor. Employers much prefer people who are truthful and have the skills and suitability they need. They are less bothered about experience in job applications where they will provide the training. (NB: When employing students in particular, this truth and trust aspect is very important. Again, I say that from a position of experience on the matter.)

eption;5613341']Make up something up :P everyone bends the truth a little on their CV
NEVER do this. CVs always need to be positive, but anything listed on there must be 100% truth. You can lose your job on the spot if it ever arises that a point on your CV or application form is falsified.

Moh
17-02-2009, 07:30 PM
On an application form work with what you have got. Even if you put "no relevant experience" (though it is best to put something if you have it), you are not necessarily going to be rejected on paper. Other aspects of the application form may stand out, and they may want to interview you.

As you said yourself, they are looking for students who will have very limited experience anyway. I know from experience that this will not be a large factor. Employers much prefer people who are truthful and have the skills and suitability they need. They are less bothered about experience in job applications where they will provide the training. (NB: When employing students in particular, this truth and trust aspect is very important. Again, I say that from a position of experience on the matter.)

NEVER do this. CVs always need to be positive, but anything listed on there must be 100% truth. You can lose your job on the spot if it ever arises that a point on your CV or application form is falsified.
I got rejected saying that I don't have enough Experience and Skills (I didnt even know places put why you got rejected lol).

I personally don't even think they checked the applications, I think it automaticly checked whether I had experience and rejected me.

I might just go in and inquire about the Jobs, slows more willing :)

Casanova
17-02-2009, 07:34 PM
A lot of the time they ask this because not everyone whom applies is under-educated to their business so they'd want to cut corners... if anyone has had previous experience or education in what they need for their position then it's cheaper to hire them to save on training them up.

Barmi
17-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I got rejected saying that I don't have enough Experience and Skills (I didnt even know places put why you got rejected lol).

I personally don't even think they checked the applications, I think it automaticly checked whether I had experience and rejected me.

I might just go in and inquire about the Jobs, slows more willing :)
It's good that they do that! Most places wouldn't even let you know that you are not successful; less so the reason why.

It may be that they are looking for students going into their 'second' part-time job. There are a number of reasons why I disagree with applications for low-skilled jobs being based on previous experience... but I won't get into them else I'll be here all night.

Needless to say, not many places offering low-skilled student jobs will require previous experience as a necessity. You should also think about the number of applications they may have received. In such cases the unsuccessful applications may be turned away on trivial things.

Zak
17-02-2009, 11:40 PM
most jobs require some kind of training.. but most are like health and safety talks

Immenseman
18-02-2009, 04:45 AM
that's why you have to be sneaky

Anvrew
19-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Lie.
Say you worked at a corner shop that the owner died so it closed :S

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!