Disaronno
18-02-2009, 09:58 PM
basiclly

whenever i put all ma little fishies into my tank, they die within like a week

i have a fan thing or w.e you call it + a light

is there anything i can do to make them alive

i feed them btw
Real advice - Depends on what fish you have

Cold Water fish (Goldfish) need nothing else really just clean the tank once a week, by doing a water change

Tropical fish need a filter, leaves, air stone and a light

marine fish need salt and the above and some need live rock. so do research

Hecktix
18-02-2009, 10:12 PM
What do they seem to be dying of?
A lot of fantailed goldfish die of finrot, in which their fins slowly rot away.

You need to have the right bacteria levels in your water, I take it by a fan you mean a filter? 'Cause a filter is necessary to keep fish alive.

If all your fish die, then it's worth getting some new ones, go for a different type of goldfish, and try and buy them from a different store to which you bought your first batch, I found that. I bought 3 fantails from pets at home and they were dead within a week. I cleaned my tank out, sterilised everything in it and bought 3 normal goldfish from a local garden centre, and they've been alive for over a year.

To sterilise your tank once all your fish are gone you need to boil the gravel (just like you would boil anything else, put it in a saucepan with some water and boil it on the stove), any rocks you have in the tank. You must clean the tank with boiling water and anything in it with boiling water, you may want to miss out on cleaning the plastic plants with boiling water, it'll melt them, so wash them with cold boiled water.

Then fill your tank and turn the filter on and leave it for at least 24 hours, it's reccomended to leave it for a week, for your tank to establish equilibrium in the bacteria levels. During the week your water will probably go through stages of looking dirty, cloudy etc but when the water turns clear you can add your fish, make sure you add them using the instructions given, in the bags etc.

Make sure you use goldfish food which helps add to the good bacteria, Aquarian is a good brand.

DON'T clean your tank weekly, or change the water as this will disrupt the levels in your tank.

My tank hasnt been cleaned in 6 months, and the water is crystal clear. If you have a good filter, it should keep your tank clean for you.

The only thing which is advised if the tank starts to smell (i dont do it) is you change 1/3 of your water on a monthly basis. Never change ALL of your water, only change 1/3.

Hope that helps (:

edit: oh and only feed them once a day, they don't need anymore, overfeeding can kill them.

leah
19-02-2009, 04:17 PM
put water in the tank fgs
I lol'd
maybe a new tank and cleaner one?

Captain
19-02-2009, 04:18 PM
you need to give them summit to drink. dont give them coke coz its too sugary, give them fruit juice.

best wishes x

no waiii
20-02-2009, 12:04 AM
i bet they keep drowning

Ardemax
20-02-2009, 10:36 AM
thanks for the *useful* advice, i only needed to know whether fish needed water tho so +rep immensegirl

jks

well, seriously thanks to the other advice

I had some fantails and fish that look like them? :)

ok, ill see what i can do

+rep awarded

Minstrels
20-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Fantail fish don't go in normal water, they go in flavored water.

Crimson
27-02-2009, 05:26 PM
put water in the tank fgs

rooooflll

e5
27-02-2009, 05:29 PM
tropical fish need warm water on a thermastat thing

Immenseman
27-02-2009, 05:30 PM
rooooflll
loves it x

myke
27-02-2009, 05:39 PM
When you put a goldfish in water, make sure you use chlorine remover. You can get this from any pet store really.. Even Wilkinsons do it...

When cleaning your filter, don't do it under the tap, use water from the tank. To keep the bacteria in.
So take some out in a bowl, then wash the pump in that and tip that water away.

You should feed goldfish three times a week, or ammonia might build up because the more they eat the more they poop... poop = ammonia.

You should also do a 25% water change every three weeks to ensure ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels stay low.

Need any more advice, let me know. :)

Kipp
27-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Always wash the fish tank out.

Shockwave.2CC
27-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Are you doing what i did when i was small and put washing up liquid in the tank whey the fish where still in there.
:eusa_whis

Daedryon
28-02-2009, 06:08 AM
basiclly

whenever i put all ma little fishies into my tank, they die within like a week

i have a fan thing or w.e you call it + a light

is there anything i can do to make them alive

i feed them btw

Do you frequently get drunk and pour booze in the tank, or do you use it as a toilet? If so, stop.

Ardemax
01-03-2009, 09:40 AM
fnx for all the serious comments lol

are there like fish that look like fantails and they have sort of the same-ish tails?

because i went to pets at home and the had them + they said they were like goldfish so you treat them in the same way :S

nicool
02-03-2009, 12:01 AM
do you know if their tropical or cold water?

my dad has like 100's of tropical fish yeah so this is what he has

he has his tank obviously,
then he has his filter and an oxygen thing (for pumping it into the tank)
he has a REALLY bright light, like really bright

you only feed them like once a day

i think you have to put a scene on the back of the tank :S
thats what they do at the pet stores

also when you first get them do u keep the fish in the bag and place them into the water in the bag? u have to do that for 20 mins or they like go into shock

if you still dont know go to pets at home or wherever and be like can you explain to me exactly how to keep them

Janet Snakehole
02-03-2009, 02:29 AM
er, just make sure you keep feeding them, i kept forgetting to feed mine and they died :(

mk
20-03-2009, 02:24 PM
i dnt think u need to put them in tank

my piranahs live in the bath :S

jj1661
23-03-2009, 08:59 PM
poor lil fish

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!