PDA

View Full Version : PPL Information Answered (And a cheap legal way around it)

JustRG3
21-02-2009, 01:07 AM
This was done by Peter from Riseagainstmedia with help from Rickie (JustRG3), part of the management. This was posted on ClubHabboForum by Peter, and now I shell be posting it around all the other forums.

Okay we've posted and emailed the administrator about a legitimate PPL approved way of getting the station licensed and had no reply. This post is going to be long, but I hope it explains to everyone what is what.
I know there has been complaints about opening new threads, but It seems like people are ignoring what I'm stating, when I'm actually trying to help the station get back up.

Firstly, as you can see, I'm a new member, as I was called in by someone to give advice on the current issue, as I have some knowledge with licensing.

BEFORE I go into details on the legitimate cheap way - What Is Legal, What Isn't

It appears that people don't understand what is classed as illegal and legal, and that is the problem.

Legal - If You Have a licence

• Physical bought music - Music bought in stores or online in the forms of CDs, LPs or other devices
• Digital bought music - Music bought from online stores, for example iTunes and Amazon
• Copyright holder or Copyright Permissions - If you hold the copyright to a track or are given permission to by the copyright holder (usually the music’s record label).

Illegal

• File sharing/Torrent software and sites - Music downloaded using file sharing software, such as P2P software like LimeWire, Torrent software such as BitComet and websites offering free music downloads

The Confusion
Now a lot of online radio stations use software such as LimeWire and claim it is legal. They use the fact that LimeWire is available, to suggest its legal, as if it wasn’t, it would be shut down. LimeWire in itself is not illegal, but it does have illegal files. The problem is, LimeWire LLC, the company in charge of LimeWire, do not host any of the files found on LimeWire, it is in fact the users. Users upload music to LimeWire, and even if they did originally get it from a CD, the fact that you’re downloading it now, without paying, makes it illegal. It is also in fact illegal to upload it in the first place. LimeWire is still running as when downloading and installing, you have to tell LimeWire that you won’t use it for illegal purposes, and if you do you they won’t get sued. Also LimeWire offer a Pro version, which many think entitles them to download as much copyrighted music as they like. That’s of course completely wrong, and the user is only paying for the software, not the files available on it.

In fact people also use the LimeWire scenario at SHOUTcast itself. SHOUTcast is what we and many other online stations use to broadcast. When you sign up to a SHOUTcast service, it has a contract in a way, just like LimeWire. Using SHOUTcast, you are agreeing to not upload copyright protected material in which you don’t have permission for.

Finally, CD’s. Now when you buy a vinyl (gramophone record), you have actually got with it a license to play it in public. However you don’t with CD’s. This has caused a lot of problems in the world of online radio broadcasting, as many believe that you can buy a CD and stream it; however you would still need a license to do that.

Why does Habbo Allow Illegal stations
I don't use Habbo for station related stuff, but have been told that they do state in their rules, not to play illegal stuff. I suppose they expect you to know about licences, that is why you should never sign up to something until your fully sure what the rules mean, such as what is classed as "illegal." Habbo staff are known to broadcast on stations, but they may not know that the station is not licensed. If the station was caught by PPL then maybe the station would go down and not Habbo as you did agree to not play "illegal" stuff.

How can we go legal
Well Web Radio World may be one of the answers found at http://www.webradioworld.com (http://www.webradioworld.com/)
Web Radio World offer cheap licences for small webcasters. I was unsure that the service was legitimate when I was first shown, but emailing PPL directly I got this reply:

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your enquiry with regards to Web Radio World. I can indeed confirm that the service is legitimate and does act as an aggregator for Small Webcasters on behalf of PPL. We have been working with Web Radio World for a number of years and have a very good working relationship

You have done the right thing in checking whether the service was legitimate however, and I check up on any services I come across who make references to PPL on their websites, including webcasters themselves. Any such services we come across who are wrongly claiming to be legitimate are dealt with swiftly.

If you require any further information, please let me know.

Kind Regards

Natalie

NATALIE THOMAS
Radio Broadcasting Assistant

PPL VPL
1 Upper James Street, London W1F 9DE
T +44 (0)20 7534 1423 / F +44 (0)20 7534 1367
[email protected]
www.ppluk.com (http://www.ppluk.com/) / www.vpluk.com (http://www.vpluk.com/)
There are two possible downsides. One is the price may go up at the end of the month. Although linked with PPL, until the end of the month, they are not linked with PRS. PRS is not currently taking action against people using Web Radio World, as they are still partly licensed, but all users of the service will need to pay the new price at the end of the month, when PRS joins. Web Radio World does imagine the price won't be too bad.

The second downside is that the small Webcaster license is designed for well, small webcasters. If you have large amounts of listeners you may not benefit, you might. I can put anyone in direct contact with the man who runs the service.

And finally, the service like PPL, uses TTL - Total Time Listening. It works like this, you choose a package for 1000 hours, that's how many hours you get. If on a show 5 people tune in from 1pm till 2pm that's 5 hours gone. However unlike PPL the service is monthly.

Knuxxy
21-02-2009, 03:52 PM
You are definatly +repped for this once i figure out how to LOL.
This is very informative and should be read by the management.

9y
21-02-2009, 11:13 PM
This mustve took time! Very good find. Shall refer to this in the future!

DjDonx
24-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Very nice & a very good sales pitch.

But as with everything you need to buy, always read the small print.

I did indeed check this as I thought maybe this was just too good too be true, until I found the small print.

Here is a section of the finer details that were not mentioned in sales pitch posted above.....

In any given 3 hour period of Webcasting there shall be:<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!