PDA

View Full Version : New iphone this year!

iBlueBox
22-02-2009, 12:21 AM
was watching the gadget show webtv and it said that their rumored that a new one could be realised by the end of this year its been 2 years since the original iphone and nearly one since the 3G iphone on the new one it could have, a better camera, video recording, a better battery life,

say if you was working for apple what would you put in the new iphone / how would you design it?

well i would like it to have on the back a slideout keyboard like black and sleek and fin,

Recursion
22-02-2009, 12:23 AM
That won't happen, that would ruin the whole idea of the iPhone.

marriott0.01
22-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Apple have an average life cycle of 1 year per iPhone release, and it's 3G iPhone was released in June, so this won't be coming till June.

And it may not even happen, as Apple are very secretive and this year not a lot of good things are gonna be chucked out from Cupertino till Steve gets back :)

iBlueBox
22-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Apple have an average life cycle of 1 year per iPhone release, and it's 3G iPhone was released in June, so this won't be coming till June.

And it may not even happen, as Apple are very secretive and this year not a lot of good things are gonna be chucked out from Cupertino till Steve gets back :)
ah ok thanks

btw what phones that in ur sig and is that keyboard being projected?
as its frekan fit i wont it,

Barmi
22-02-2009, 12:36 AM
was watching the gadget show webtv and it said that their rumored that a new one could be realised by the end of this year its been 2 years since the original iphone and nearly one since the 3G iphone on the new one it could have, a better camera, video recording, a better battery life,
One year is a long time in this business; it has been taken as read that a new iPhone will be unveiled this year.

Without being disrespectful, I think that suggestion can be safely discarded. Acting CEO Tim Cook has apparently been looking at new products, seeing how the iPhone can be taken into new markets, and examining the iPhone's business model. Apple certainly aren't going to be waiting for old Stevie-boy... they have a business to run!

Moh
22-02-2009, 12:37 AM
ah ok thanks

btw what phones that in ur sig and is that keyboard being projected?
as its frekan fit i wont it,
Click the image :P

marriott0.01
22-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Without being disrespectful, I think that suggestion can be safely discarded. Acting CEO Tim Cook has apparently been looking at new products, seeing how the iPhone can be taken into new markets, and examining the iPhone's business model. Apple certainly aren't going to be waiting for old Stevie-boy... they have a business to run!
Tbh, Apple would be bankrupt and dead without Steve Jobs, they only hired him back because they realised they need him. And tbh Tim Cook really has no power as even though he is acting CEO he still has to refer to Steve for any big announcement from Cupertino

Barmi
22-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Tbh, Apple would be bankrupt and dead without Steve Jobs, they only hired him back because they realised they need him. And tbh Tim Cook really has no power as even though he is acting CEO he still has to refer to Steve for any big announcement from Cupertino
That's precisely the point: Apple are here today because of him, but they cannot stop in his absence. It is not a viable business model to cut back on product releases simply because the CEO is away. You underestimate Cook's role. Regardless of whether Jobs is consulted, it is purely a consultation and he is unlikely to have any deep involvement.

My original point still stands. It is a virtual certainty that we will see a new model this year. The earlier iPhone 3G contracts will be coming to an end in December and it can be almost guaranteed that Apple will want to be there with a new model for customers to lust shell out for. An announcement will probably be around late Q2 or early Q3, I would guess.

Yoshimitsui
22-02-2009, 01:16 AM
They are continuing to make them but adding a new feature and no doubt look each time. Because they know people will still buy them. Money grabbing!

marriott0.01
22-02-2009, 01:19 AM
It's not a certainty? Tbh the iMac has been here for a long time, and people always say it is getting a revamp but it hasn't so nothing that comes out of rumours is certain.

Barmi
22-02-2009, 01:07 PM
It's not a certainty? Tbh the iMac has been here for a long time, and people always say it is getting a revamp but it hasn't so nothing that comes out of rumours is certain.
Then you don't understand the way the mobile phone business works. Apple only have a select range of mobile products – i.e. only one at a time, up until now. If contracts are starting to come to an end in December this year, Apple will have a new mobile product ready for punters to buy. If they don't, other companies will get the money from people who go onto renew their contract with another handset.

Apple will have realised, given the conference this week, that there are a number of handsets coming to market this year seeking to take Apple's crown. This next iteration has got to be good.

marriott0.01
22-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Tbh Apple doesn't have to do anything its fanbase tell it to, people have been telling companies like Microsoft to do stuff, but tbh they don't listen.

A new iPhone is a rumour, Apple has not confirmed it, so you can not say it will happen?

Apple has the power over its products, and Apple are innovative, they don't follow the rest of the industry, they do it when they want to do it, not when you tell them to do it.

Barmi
22-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Tbh Apple doesn't have to do anything its fanbase tell it to, people have been telling companies like Microsoft to do stuff, but tbh they don't listen.

A new iPhone is a rumour, Apple has not confirmed it, so you can not say it will happen?

Apple has the power over its products, and Apple are innovative, they don't follow the rest of the industry, they do it when they want to do it, not when you tell them to do it.

And its fan base are not telling Apple to do it; rather they are predicting that Apple will do it, based on past releases and business practice. If you think that by Christmas there will be no updates to the iPhone business model you are very foolish, and virtually certain to be mistaken.

The mobile phone market is a lot different to markets Apple has previously been playing in. It is far more competitive in that releases need to be on the ball. If you are relying on one product like Apple is, it is a sound business model to have a new product for when an 18-month contract expires. If they don't, they get no money. Do you not understand?

Hayd93
22-02-2009, 02:56 PM

This is made up twaddle. I was reading something on mac rumors about it and the reason they are being slow on releases is something because of the state of the banks they are letting time for rumors ect so that people will have the cash to buy one when it comes out. They are also saying it takes longer to make the product due to apples eco promise.

efq
22-02-2009, 02:58 PM
I bought the iphone 2g, then the 3g and stupid me will probably by the next one. (4G?)

Recursion
22-02-2009, 03:18 PM
4G isn't in use anywhere yet and where it is, it isn't an industry standard yet.

IIRC 4G will be based on IPv6, which is slowly coming into place now seeing at IPv4 addresses are estimated to be all used by 2010/2011

marriott0.01
22-02-2009, 03:21 PM
4G isn't in use anywhere yet and where it is, it isn't an industry standard yet.

IIRC 4G will be based on IPv6, which is slowly coming into place now seeing at IPv4 addresses are estimated to be all used by 2010/2011
3.5G is the highest we've got up to, Motorola are currently working on it.

And I think he meant 4th Generation iPhone, not the connectivity.

Recursion
22-02-2009, 04:27 PM
3.5G is out at the moment, but IMO 4G shouldn't be out until EVERYWHERE has 3.5G.

We are only on the 2nd generation now (iPhone 3G)

[Chris]
22-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I bought the iphone 2g, then the 3g and stupid me will probably by the next one. (4G?)

1. Theres no such thing as the 'Iphone 2G'
2. 3G is the third generation of tele standards and technology for mobile networking, and there wont be a 4G network for a while yet.. Maybe 2/3 Years

Its probably gonna be like the Iphone 3G With better features.

Barmi
22-02-2009, 04:35 PM
3.5G is the highest we've got up to, Motorola are currently working on it.

And I think he meant 4th Generation iPhone, not the connectivity.
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/category/LTE/

Plenty of companies are playing with LTE, so what are you banging on about with Motorola? Motorola is a shadow with terrible phones. They better do something soon to earn their credibility again.

And I think it should be a prerequisite that anyone who posts in the Apple & Macintosh sub-forum is made to understand what is meant by 3G. It's just the iPhone and then the iPhone 3G. That is the second generation/iteration of the iPhone. The next iPhone is likely to be a second iteration/generation of the iPhone. (NB: I use those words interchangeably but note the emphasis I want to make – the new iPhone is likely to have more significant differences from the current model than the 3G had from its predecessor.)

Monopoly
01-03-2009, 02:41 PM

Why would Apple stop production of everything because Steve is sick?
They'd just shut the place down if they were going to do that...
Plus Apple will have the next two or more years planned product-wise so saying nothing's going to come out is stupid.

Oleh
05-03-2009, 09:08 PM
They should make a iphone 3.5g :)

Nokia already has 3.5g , i get it on my 5300, iphone 3gs are rubbish, my mate cant get 3g on his iphone but i get 3g and 3.5g on both my n73 and 5300

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!