PDA

View Full Version : Screams

Immenseman
22-02-2009, 01:58 PM
I hate re-doing coursework. I'm doing my second draft on a linked comparison peace on Oryx and Crake and Nineteen Eighty-Four for AS Literature. I've already been told it'll be a decent grade but now it's just the word count. I have things I want to add, mainly more quotations and a few theoretical readings but I'm over the word count :'(

Yeah does anyone else always go over the wrod count and start screaming

Inseriousity.
22-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Yes but I've never been pulled up on it before so I hand it in. If they don't say anything, I breathe a sigh of relief and move on :D

kk.
22-02-2009, 03:20 PM
just ignore the word count. as long as its not too far over. unless literature is different?!

marriott0.01
22-02-2009, 03:22 PM
I do sometimes, I usually write loads tho

myke
22-02-2009, 03:32 PM
I always go over the word count... but I put it in like size 7 so the teachers don't say anything 0:]

Immenseman
22-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Thing is on my literature course you have 3000 words over two pieces. After the 3000th word they stop reading, that's it.

kk.
22-02-2009, 10:15 PM
and they count in there head?

Barmi
22-02-2009, 11:41 PM
and they count in there head?
IIRC you have 10% leeway, and if you go over you get marks deducted. I guess it depends which exam board we're talking about.

Yeah, word counts are a pain in the backside. When you're writing a piece that you enjoy (clearly!), it's so unfair to be told to keep it at essay-length when you want to write something dissertation-length.

I guess just keep it concise. Ask your English teacher if he/she can help in keeping your points short and sweet, with sufficient detail.

marriott0.01
23-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Tbh they only give it about 10 min each paper so as soon as it gets boring they just mark it.

Just make sure it's good and interesting, they won't care about the wordcount if it is good.

Supersam
23-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Thing is on my literature course you have 3000 words over two pieces. After the 3000th word they stop reading, that's it.

They dont literally count to the 3000th word and stop reading. If you have another 100 words then they dont mind. But if its another 3 pages then they just stop at a certain point.

IIRC you have 10% leeway, and if you go over you get marks deducted. I guess it depends which exam board we're talking about.

Yeah, word counts are a pain in the backside. When you're writing a piece that you enjoy (clearly!), it's so unfair to be told to keep it at essay-length when you want to write something dissertation-length.

I guess just keep it concise. Ask your English teacher if he/she can help in keeping your points short and sweet, with sufficient detail.

They dont deduct marks anymore. They just wont give you the full marks for a certain section. So if you have only just started your conclusion you wont get the marks from your conclusion.

Sometimes if you have a wordlimit for an abstract then they wont give you any marks for it if you go over.

Immenseman
25-02-2009, 02:18 PM
They dont literally count to the 3000th word and stop reading. If you have another 100 words then they dont mind. But if its another 3 pages then they just stop at a certain point.
That's the thing, they do. Evidently not everyone's but a couple and they have been told for this year they are to read up to the 3000th word only and if one word count isn't true of the sample the literally sit down and count they will check the whole sample.

Favourtism
25-02-2009, 04:20 PM
I did 4000 words instead of 1000 words on GCSE Short Story and they said it was fine (got A* :D).

If you can't do that the just remove the least supporting stuff (only have evidence were definately needed) and perhaps try and make your writing short and sweet, not rambling etc :)

Immenseman
25-02-2009, 04:23 PM
easier said than done and that was easy gcse ^!

Favourtism
25-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Post/send an example or snippet of how long your sentences are etc and I'll see if they could be shortened easily? Im sort of good at doing that now for exams and stuff :P

Immenseman
25-02-2009, 04:30 PM
well ive handed it in now :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!