PDA

View Full Version : Does discrimination still exist in the workplace?

Immenseman
27-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Something I have an interest in, just wondered your opinions.I mean any discrimination in general, nothing specific. Can be sexual, gender, age, ethnicity etc.

Pyroka
27-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah everyone thinks I get the most hours because I'm a guy.

Fact is its true, and unfair. :(

Immenseman
27-02-2009, 10:49 AM
You don't care because you're a sexist pig!

Virgin Mary
27-02-2009, 11:00 AM
It does but if it's something obvious like an all-woman shop they can have a clause which means they can turn away men. But in high fashion shops (I mean high not primark or topshop/man or something) they only hire people that look like models and even in lower down high street shops they usually put fat ugly people in the stockrooms rather than the shop floor.

Immenseman
27-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Yeah, in some circumstances I can't blame them though if they're a relatively small company and need everyone working hard then you're going to pick and choose who you hire very carefully.

Ladygaga
27-02-2009, 11:21 AM
It does! Because im male, and rockhard ive gotta carry loads of heavy stuff.

My workplace is full of girls

Immenseman
27-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Awww, poor you :( :P

RedStratocas
27-02-2009, 04:36 PM
not as much as it used to but of course, it still does. there's a pizza place in my town that will only hire women to bus.

Immenseman
27-02-2009, 04:44 PM
yeah but there have been acts etc to prevent it like sexual discrimination act in 1975 (i think, my sociology kicking in) but yeah no matter what laws and acts are implemented it will always exist, i think.

Crimson
27-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Ofc it does. :P

Immenseman
27-02-2009, 05:50 PM
why is it ofc in this day and age?!?!?

MissAlice
27-02-2009, 06:16 PM
There are many forms of discrimination in the work place. I've sadly seen it, I have watched how someone who had become a little power hungry, was slowly pushed into finding an alternative job elsewhere. Being excluded is something else I've noticed, excluded because of age. Good policies and procedures are in place, but unless you take action, being discrimated against will continue.

Lee.Norman
27-02-2009, 08:06 PM
It does exist. Most of the time its not intentional... But it just occurs. But on the rare occasion, people are singled out and treated differently. Which is just plain wrong.

Wootzeh
27-02-2009, 10:38 PM
why is it ofc in this day and age?!?!?
Do something about it then.

Immenseman
27-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Do something about it then.
I'm afraid you've either quoted the wrong post or your English is very weak.

dirrty
27-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Discrimination occurs in all walks of life, and it'll remain like that for a long time.

Alkaz
27-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Defo, from what I seen of offices I think it certainly does.

Loser
27-02-2009, 10:48 PM
You need to discriminate to an extent in order to find the most effective and accessible group of employees.

Lµke
27-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Discrimination will never go away. If you think about it logically, people all want to do well in life right. Nice cars, nice houses, nice clothes, nice partner.

To do this you need to somehow give yourself a advantage, one way is by singling people out so that you can have control of a situation, or two put it into context for example, who gets the better jobs to do during work hours, putting those down to do the jobs that may require you to get your hands dirty.

Like at work a girl had twisted her ankle on a drunken night out, she got to sit on the fitting rooms all day on a chair, doing nothing. I broke my toe told my manager i needed light duties, i was stood up behind a till serving customers all day.

Another example is Im always sent up to the stockroom to put away all the stuff other staff leave because apparently, its quicker for me to do because i can reorganise the bins to fit it all in, and i already know how and where everything goes back.

I have posed the question to management, Im willing to show people how and what to do as long as they listen, but it just goes in one ear and out the other, regardless if they are lazy.

flatface
28-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Of course it does, especially age and gender

RandomManJay
28-02-2009, 02:16 AM
I would say it does, but not as often as it used to, usually now its positive discrimination now rather than negative, but negative still does exist.

Just in case anyone doesnt know, 'positive discrimination' is treating someone overly positive because of their orientation, like giving someone a job not based on their abilities but because of their race or gender, its like doing something overly nice to avoid the possibility of discrimination of the negative kind.

Kipp
28-02-2009, 12:20 PM
I would say it's still there.

Wootzeh
28-02-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm afraid you've either quoted the wrong post or your English is very weak.
Neither, you seem to be questioning everything someone says. They're not even good questions, just stupid ones. So if you care so much about it. Do something.

Immenseman
28-02-2009, 05:01 PM
It's called playing the devils advocate like I have explained in the other thread. I doubt you're aware of what that means so for your benefit it's to ask questions to provoke debate. Funnily enough this is a debates forum. Think before you post or you just get embarrassed.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!