View Full Version : RAID Driver.

Coldplay
28-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Hey, I'm looking for a RAID driver that will RAID 4 of these HDD's in 5,0

Ta

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/22328

N!ck
28-02-2009, 05:14 PM
What OS and can your motherboard support it?

Coldplay
28-02-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm running Vista X64

and my mobo is

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2800

N!ck
28-02-2009, 05:46 PM
The board is compatible with RAID 0+1 so you would have 500GB space with all four in that or you could do two separate RAID 0 arrays and get 1TB space. Vista has RAID drivers built in.

Stephen!
28-02-2009, 06:38 PM
You can't just install a driver and RAID them. It has to be done at the BIOS level. In most cases you need not worry about drivers at all as Vista has most of them already installed.

Coldplay
03-03-2009, 12:36 AM
Okay so using 4 of those HDD's, and using raid 0+1, will I see a noticable performance difference.

Will it also erase all my data from my exisitng drive (which is one of those.), or will I keep all of that?

Stephen!
03-03-2009, 01:13 AM
will you see a noticable performance difference? well that depends on the drives and the raid controller. Bootup times may be improved however you won't notice that much on day to day tasks.

You will have delete all of the data on each drive you want to be a part of the array.

:job2
04-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Whats the difference between buying 4x250gb hard drives then RAID them and just buying a 1tb hard drive? Because that would be a fair bit cheaper, and take up less space in the PC. Sorry if stupid question :)

N!ck
04-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Whats the difference between buying 4x250gb hard drives then RAID them and just buying a 1tb hard drive? Because that would be a fair bit cheaper, and take up less space in the PC. Sorry if stupid question :)

RAID combines multiple drives together as though they are the same drive. A RAID 0 array uses at least two hard drives. In simple terms, this puts half of the data in a file on one hard drive and the other half on the other hard drive. When you're reading/writing a file this means that each hard drive only has half the amount of work to do as it's only got half of the file. Half the amount of work to do means, in theory, twice the performance.

He's wanting to use 4 hard drive, so there's different types of RAID arrays he could use, each working differently with their own relative merits.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!