PDA

View Full Version : Books the Twilight book series

concretespoon
28-02-2009, 05:41 PM
I might get attacked by fangirls for this, but has anyone else caught on to how poorly written these books are? Stephanie Meyer really has no style in there at all, and her descriptions are terrible. Throughout the whole first book she used "perfect" to desribe Edward everytime Bella saw him. That or "cold marble skin". Everytime. Her editor should be ashamed.

I think the worst part of the books though is the obsession that goes along with it. Girls actually telling their boyfriends to be more like Edward Cullen, or even breaking up with them when they're not. It's kinda depressing, really. I know one girl who made a facebook account for Edward Cullen so she could put them as in a relationship and go onto Edward's account and leave herself sappy love messages. I couldn't make this up, I promise.

Anyways, I've compiled a little list of the wonderful moral teaching of Twilight for your viewing pleasure. I added in some from other websites, and others are my own.

10 Messages gained from reading the Twilight series:

1. It's ok to dart back and fourth between two guys: Neither will be angry or like you any less. They'll just fight that much harder for you.

2. It doesn't matter how nice and sensible boys at school are, if they're not a vampire or werewolf who makes you insta-cream, then they're just not good enough. For no real reason. They just aren't.

3. You should give up all your goals in life (and your life itself) for a boy who watches you sleep at night and is really, really good at things.

4. Renesmee Carlie Cullen is a good thing to name your child.

5. Controlling relationships are dandy if the guy is really hot.

6. Girls who cannot function without being saved get all the guys.

7. Women belong in the kitchen... because cooking is all that Bella can do.

8. Going catatonic for months is a reasonable way to handle your boyfriend breaking up with you and if you do it long enough, he will come back. You just have to wait until being without you is so unbearable, he almost commits death by public sparkling.

9. Making boys save you from all your problems is the right path to becoming a good and independent individual.

10. If a guy forcefully makes out with you (for about 6 pages, I might add) it's not sexual harassment - It's love.

Niall!
01-03-2009, 12:00 PM
I agree, the series is ****, just a fantasy of some lovesick author.

Rock
01-03-2009, 04:49 PM
I agree, the series is ****, just a fantasy of some lovesick author.

Thats a bit harsh :P

Rozi
01-03-2009, 04:50 PM
I agree with all your points, but I'm a fan of twilight because of the ideas, not the quality of writing or the characters. I find Bella incredibly annoying, simply because of the fact she cannot think for herself. I find Edward creepy and really over-controlling. Personally, I would say Jacob is my favorite character, he's not exactly down to earth, but he's more realistic than the others.However, the idea of twilight is what drew me in. I heard from my friend about this amazing book about a girl and a vampire falling in love, I though it sounded terrible for about 3 months, then she made me read the book and I was instantly drawn in. Twilight isn't really a book about a teenager and a vampire falling in love, it's a classic love story. A girl and a boy fall in complete and utter love, however along the way there are trials, problems and outside influences and doubts. Plus, there is suspense in the book, but more in the way she writes. 3/4s of the book is Bella, Edward and Jacob and 1/4 is action, however the mix of the two is just right.

I find it sad when people are obsessed, but so many people just tag along with their friends.

concretespoon
02-03-2009, 03:14 AM
Thats a bit harsh :P

Lol, maybe it is, but even the actors of the movie version of twilight have said that. There's a quote of Robert Pattinson going on about how he felt creepy and voyeuristic throughout reading the entire novel, lol.

I agree with all your points, but I'm a fan of twilight because of the ideas, not the quality of writing or the characters. I find Bella incredibly annoying, simply because of the fact she cannot think for herself. I find Edward creepy and really over-controlling. Personally, I would say Jacob is my favorite character, he's not exactly down to earth, but he's more realistic than the others.However, the idea of twilight is what drew me in. I heard from my friend about this amazing book about a girl and a vampire falling in love, I though it sounded terrible for about 3 months, then she made me read the book and I was instantly drawn in. Twilight isn't really a book about a teenager and a vampire falling in love, it's a classic love story. A girl and a boy fall in complete and utter love, however along the way there are trials, problems and outside influences and doubts. Plus, there is suspense in the book, but more in the way she writes. 3/4s of the book is Bella, Edward and Jacob and 1/4 is action, however the mix of the two is just right.

I find it sad when people are obsessed, but so many people just tag along with their friends.

I have to disagree with it being suspenseful. A lot of the action and real plot seemed to just be last-minute tacked on conflicts just to put Bella in the "damsel in distress" position again. A lot of it seemed really predictable too.

But I agree with you on Jacob. He's the only character in the book with a real personality. At least, in New Moon I liked him. I guess becoming a werewolf just kind of makes you a huge jerk, because suddenly thats all he was.

And I get what you mean about being drawn in. As dumb as I find it, I find it interesting all the same. Probably in the same sense that people are drawn towards car crashes xD

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!