PDA

View Full Version : Tweet O'Clock - Find out when's the best time to tweet someone!

Awfy
01-03-2009, 02:14 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2zp5wdk.png
(http://tweetoclock.com/)

Caleb Mingle (http://twitter.com/dentafrice) and myself (http://twitter.com/awfy) decided to build this last night, it took 3 hours to make the main site (http://tweetoclock.com/) and iPhone (http://i.tweetoclock.com/) version. The general idea is to allow people to put in a Twitter username and the site will tell you when it's best to send any @replies or direct messages to that user.

It's worked out by finding the day and time they tweet most assuming this is when they are most active (obviously).

This can be handy if you enjoy speaking to people with a rather large follower base as you know when you're most likely to get a reply or even if you'll get a read at all.

www.tweetoclock.com (http://www.tweetoclock.com)

Agnostic Bear
01-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Useless idea, nice design.

Awfy
01-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Useless idea, nice design.
It's not a useless idea, I gave the use in the post.

Agnostic Bear
01-03-2009, 02:40 PM
It's not a useless idea, I gave the use in the post.

What you've essentially done is given people a time frame to annoy the **** out of people, I'm sure a lot of people will thank you for it. Yes there will be valid users who use it to catch up with friends and what not, but a lot of people will use it simply to annoy people.

Awfy
01-03-2009, 03:05 PM
What you've essentially done is given people a time frame to annoy the **** out of people, I'm sure a lot of people will thank you for it. Yes there will be valid users who use it to catch up with friends and what not, but a lot of people will use it simply to annoy people.
You just described Twitter. So essentially Twitter is useless to the millions of people who use it.

Agnostic Bear
01-03-2009, 03:12 PM
You just described Twitter. So essentially Twitter is useless to the millions of people who use it.

If you're not a hyped up muppet who sucks up every new social idea just to keep in touch with people when a telephone or going out will do just fine, or perhaps using irc or msn, yes.

And yes I'm aware that's pretty much 80% of this forum.

Awfy
01-03-2009, 03:18 PM
If you're not a hyped up muppet who sucks up every new social idea just to keep in touch with people when a telephone or going out will do just fine, or perhaps using irc or msn, yes.

And yes I'm aware that's pretty much 80% of this forum.
Lol, you commenting on social utilities.

Agnostic Bear
01-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Lol, you commenting on social utilities.

I've been and used all of them, all of them useless.

kk.
01-03-2009, 03:56 PM
make it so you can just press enter. and change the button if you can, looks horrible on the design

Skajo
01-03-2009, 04:02 PM
It doesn't need it's own site. Fair enough if you create a portal for twitter applications but on it's own it just seems useless, slow and you could've twittered (or whatever the hell it's called) someone in the same time it takes to enter the name, wait, then wait for them to log on a specific day etc etc.

Awfy
01-03-2009, 05:00 PM
It doesn't need it's own site. Fair enough if you create a portal for twitter applications but on it's own it just seems useless, slow and you could've twittered (or whatever the hell it's called) someone in the same time it takes to enter the name, wait, then wait for them to log on a specific day etc etc.
If you use Twitter you would understand that when you receive any form of tweets unless it's at the specific time that you go online then you're unlikely to see it, because of the amount of activity by your followers and people you follow.

TOC allows people to judge the best time for their tweet to be read or replied to by you, meaning a better process of communication. It's not wasting time when you considering that you're more likely to get a reply this way.

Agnostic Bear
01-03-2009, 05:52 PM
If you use Twitter you would understand that when you receive any form of tweets unless it's at the specific time that you go online then you're unlikely to see it, because of the amount of activity by your followers and people you follow.

TOC allows people to judge the best time for their tweet to be read or replied to by you, meaning a better process of communication. It's not wasting time when you considering that you're more likely to get a reply this way.

Yes because I'm sure Twitter only saves 10 messages at a time and lets all the others go away and be deleted.

RichardKnox
01-03-2009, 06:38 PM
But if you're using this site you want to contact this specific person, so surely an @username reply would suffice, as then you can view all @username replies at one time without having to look through the other 100's of tweets not for you?

Dentafrice
01-03-2009, 06:47 PM
But if you're using this site you want to contact this specific person, so surely an @username reply would suffice, as then you can view all @username replies at one time without having to look through the other 100's of tweets not for you?
What do you mean by that exactly?

RichardKnox
01-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Well if you're going to use this service, it looks like you'd be wanting to get in touch with the specific person you want to talk to. So surely an @username reply would do because when you visit twitter you can look at all the @username replies to you.

Dentafrice
01-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Well if you're going to use this service, it looks like you'd be wanting to get in touch with the specific person you want to talk to. So surely an @username reply would do because when you visit twitter you can look at all the @username replies to you.
This isn't to get in touch with someone, this is to find out the time that they are most active on twitter.

Such as me, I am most active on Twitter on Sundays, and generally at 9PM GMT.

-----------

I've rewritten the calculation algorithm to examine more tweets to construct a more accurate response.

Dentafrice
01-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Just thought I would put it out there that we have been featured on Mashable's Twitter.

http://twitter.com/mashable

http://img.skitch.com/20090301-g72bp4wy9ucrq1kk5uh1s4wdnw.jpg

Jordy
01-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Although I don't yet use Twitter, I'm sort of surprised that you haven't got a positive reaction here but with such an original idea and good design it does surprise me you haven't received more praise. You probably haven't been but don't be put off by the negative feedback here, try contact some technology blogs who are all into twittering atm and they'll feature you I'm sure.

It's a very good idea and been done well. Lots of people use it to stalk celebrity's and this idea is just awesome for it.

Dentafrice
01-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Oh, don't worry :P The people on here don't really have a clue what they are on about when it comes to this.

It's useless to them, because they don't use Twitter much.

Check out http://www.twitscoop.com look what's the most talked about ;P

http://img.skitch.com/20090301-j4dn819qhx95brnpguk26e1jk5.jpg

Then go here and look at the positive remarks:

http://www.twitscoop.com/twits/search?q=tweetoclock

:]

kk.
01-03-2009, 09:11 PM
well ive given up hope of you two taking any feedback :) you dont mind giving it but when people start saying things about your stuff you retaliate. I didnt even get a response to something which is actually constructive. the button looks hideous.

Dentafrice
01-03-2009, 09:16 PM
well ive given up hope of you two taking any feedback :) you dont mind giving it but when people start saying things about your stuff you retaliate. I didnt even get a response to something which is actually constructive. the button looks hideous.
What are you talking about?

I've took feedback all morning, fixed tons of things; ) kthx.

kk.
01-03-2009, 09:25 PM
exactly my point. the buttons disgusting. Its not lined up with the box, the spacing between the boxes and button, and 'show me the money' sounds stupid. It seems like a rushed attempt to see if something works but you just havnt changed it.

Awfy
01-03-2009, 09:33 PM
We've just decided to take the feedback from the Twitter community due to a surge in popularity.

Kipp
01-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Good luck with your site.

newWORLDorder
02-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Love it, few little problems here and there but im sure they will be ironed out as you two have proved you are at.

Nice to see notable people using it, recently Veronica Bellmont! :D

What about some sort of drop down menu with a list of timezones in the form of major citys or something like that, and it then converts the timezone into the one from the menu? Just a thought, dont know if it would work though.

Jaysun
02-03-2009, 01:43 AM
They actually do listen to feedback. I asked for a mobile version for the iPhone and it was put out in an instant they also fixed the bug I pointed out.

(Not sure if the iPhone one was because of me though)

Awfy
02-03-2009, 02:01 AM
They actually do listen to feedback. I asked for a mobile version for the iPhone and it was put out in an instant they also fixed the bug I pointed out.

(Not sure if the iPhone one was because of me though)
The iPhone site was because of you :P

Jaysun
02-03-2009, 02:12 AM
The iPhone site was because of you :P

Oh that's good to know, the iPhone community can thank me now. :D

Awfy
02-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Oh that's good to know, the iPhone community can thank me now. :D
Haha, hoping that it gets featured on Tekzilla since Veronica used it.

Jaysun
02-03-2009, 02:24 AM
Haha, hoping that it gets featured on Tekzilla since Veronica used it.

You would get a lot of coverage if it did. If your lucky and it gets dugg enough it may be on Diggnation.

Dentafrice
02-03-2009, 03:17 AM
The usage of this is spectacular.

We've had (since the caching was implemented) over a thousand unique names be generated.. and that's under an hour..

wsg14
02-03-2009, 04:25 AM
Make a custom submit button with a different phrase.

Dentafrice
02-03-2009, 05:05 AM
Make a custom submit button with a different phrase.
A lot of people have liked the phrase though, but maybe a styled button.

RyanDOT
02-03-2009, 06:51 AM
I don't use Twitter yet, but your design looks amazing. Good luck.

Blinger1
02-03-2009, 06:55 AM
I am in Australia and this is pointless to me. It doesn't even help me slightly seeing as i am in AEST... And i 'cbf' to work out the difference.

Awfy
02-03-2009, 08:18 AM
We'll see what we can do on the Oceanic front as there are quite a number of users from Australia and New Zealand in the past couple of hours :)

Source
02-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Nice, I'm really liking it.

As people have said, it does seem slightly useless on first glance but if you want to get a tweet read by someone like stephenfry, its good to know when they are most likely going to be on twitter. Its more the fun idea of it that counts.

Good job.

Dentafrice
02-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Just added AEST :)

Excellent2
02-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Simply amazing, well done.

Kyle!
02-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Really great idea and design is amazing, but the button I can imagine won't look very nice in Windows, looks great on OS X though. Nice work.

kk.
02-03-2009, 06:30 PM
A lot of people have liked the phrase though, but maybe a styled button.

o ok so you accept what he was saying but not mine?!

Dentafrice
02-03-2009, 07:27 PM
I've never "not accepted" anything you've said about this?

Skajo
02-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Congratulations on the boom of your site, I do have to say though if this is all there is to the site then I think the novelty might wear off due to the simplicity of the application and it being just that, something that is wanted and not needed.

Well done on making it popular so quickly though and I wish you all the success like I have done on your previous projects.

Jamesy
03-03-2009, 06:02 PM
o ok so you accept what he was saying but not mine?!

Quite often just because someone hasn't directly replied it doesn't mean they haven't noted it down.

Not into all this twitter business but it sounds like you've found a niche. Good luck.

Robbie
03-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Heh it was on Key103 Manchester this morning. They were talking about Twitter for ages saying text with your usernames etc and the guy went 'I've just been told about tweetoclock.com it's pretty good, try it'

kk.
03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Quite often just because someone hasn't directly replied it doesn't mean they haven't noted it down.

Not into all this twitter business but it sounds like you've found a niche. Good luck.

yeh but tbh, greg and caleb arent the types that react to feedback on the forum. By react i mean they dont tend to act on it, just comment about why theyre not doing it. probably because they think theyre higher than everyone else. And before anyone comments, yes, its happened more than once

Dentafrice
03-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Heh it was on Key103 Manchester this morning. They were talking about Twitter for ages saying text with your usernames etc and the guy went 'I've just been told about tweetoclock.com it's pretty good, try it'

That's awesome! :) Now what's Key103 Manchester, radio?

yeh but tbh, greg and caleb arent the types that react to feedback on the forum. By react i mean they dont tend to act on it, just comment about why theyre not doing it. probably because they think theyre higher than everyone else. And before anyone comments, yes, its happened more than once

I've not responded/responded badly to quite a bit of feedback over the years.. that doesn't mean I didn't note it down or actually acted on it.

I do it all the time, people comment on something, and I tell them it's stupid and not going to be done..

Then I think about it, and actually do it, and see how it makes sense.

That's the way I do things, and that's how things get done.

kk.
03-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Well you can see why i get my opinion then :P if all you ever do is show that you reject ideas then i get the above thoughts.

But ive never seen you do anything that ive suggested or that someone else has suggested that has actually been a good idea (apart from the odd one)

Anyway, nice addition about the 'calculating' thing and you still need to change the button. I am interested though, how many in hits has it gone down from yesterday to today?

kk.
03-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Well you can see why i get my opinion then :P if all you ever do is show that you reject ideas then i get the above thoughts.

But ive never seen you do anything that ive suggested or that someone else has suggested that has actually been a good idea (apart from the odd one)

Anyway, nice addition about the 'calculating' thing and you still need to change the button. I am interested though, how many in hits has it gone down from yesterday to today?

Dentafrice
03-03-2009, 09:24 PM
A significant amount, yes. The crazy has slowed down. The weekend was really good.. we had 10k unique visitors yesterday.. in one day..

We'll see how it goes from here, we really need to expand this into more features.

We're constantly generating statistics from this, the most popular day to tweet, the most popular time, etc.

Some of that info can be found here:

http://tweetoclock.com/info.php

Awfy
03-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Don't see why I "need" to change the button, just means more work which isn't needed. The button looks fine as it is and I've checked in OS X, XP and 2000. I didn't choose to make it a graphic as it doesn't need to be, if I really wanted the button to look amazing I would of done as I'm a designer. I simply choose not to on this occasion as it hasn't affected the users so far :)

kk.
03-03-2009, 10:48 PM
as you said, youre a designer. Designers prefer perfection and dont want anything less so change it. I dont know what it looks like on firefox and safari but both chrome and internet explorer have horrible 'stock' buttons,

Dentafrice
03-03-2009, 10:53 PM
as you said, youre a designer. Designers prefer perfection and dont want anything less so change it. I dont know what it looks like on firefox and safari but both chrome and internet explorer have horrible 'stock' buttons,
He took your feedback. He listened, now quit dragging it on.

He already told you that he wasn't going to change it, he's the designer, not you.

He took your feedback that you didn't like it, and thought about it, and decided that he didn't like that idea.

He makes the decisions, not you.. so don't tell him what to do (hence your command "so change it".)

You cannot please everyone, I personally like the button, and it looks good on OS X Safari, so for the time being, it's staying the same.

Sorry that you don't like it, but not everything goes one persons way ;)

Awfy
03-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Put it this way, once you're website is #1 trend on Twitter above Nascar then you can make all the buttons look lovely. It obviously wasn't an issue to the amount of people that used the site :S

kk.
03-03-2009, 10:59 PM
oh ok so making it look good on 8% of users is satisfactory. no, its not. good sign of a good designer :rolleyes:

I didnt mean it quite so bluntly - 'so change it'. It was more of a thing to say it needs changing.

What exactly does show me the money have to do with it anyway. At least use something like 'generate'. As ive said, it sounds childish and stupid

And its not just one person, at least one other person thought it

EDIT: to above, thats because they werent given the choice..

Robbie
03-03-2009, 11:00 PM
That's awesome! :) Now what's Key103 Manchester, radio?

I've not responded/responded badly to quite a bit of feedback over the years.. that doesn't mean I didn't note it down or actually acted on it.

I do it all the time, people comment on something, and I tell them it's stupid and not going to be done..

Then I think about it, and actually do it, and see how it makes sense.

That's the way I do things, and that's how things get done.

Yeah its radio

Dentafrice
03-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Yeah its radio
Ahh that's pretty cool, did they say anything about it?

Awfy
04-03-2009, 08:29 AM
oh ok so making it look good on 8% of users is satisfactory. no, its not. good sign of a good designer :rolleyes:

I didnt mean it quite so bluntly - 'so change it'. It was more of a thing to say it needs changing.

What exactly does show me the money have to do with it anyway. At least use something like 'generate'. As ive said, it sounds childish and stupid

And its not just one person, at least one other person thought it

EDIT: to above, thats because they werent given the choice..
Just sshhssh lol. You're obviously not going to change my mind, I wouldn't listen to someone with no logic in manufacturing an instant product.

Agnostic Bear
04-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Just sshhssh lol. You're obviously not going to change my mind, I wouldn't listen to someone with no logic in manufacturing an instant product.

And I wouldn't listen to someone who ignores feedback for an obvious improvement to the site. Just shh lol.

Awfy
04-03-2009, 10:48 AM
And I wouldn't listen to someone who ignores feedback for an obvious improvement to the site. Just shh lol.
Dan you have no skills in building sites what so ever, how can you even comment?

Blinger1
04-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Dan you have no skills in building sites what so ever, how can you even comment?

you have a bad attitude problem, u need to take peoples advice. the button looks ****

Matagascar
04-03-2009, 11:17 AM

What a ridiculous statement. The novelty will wear off soon and the site will be dead within a few months.

Dentafrice
04-03-2009, 12:22 PM
What a ridiculous statement. The novelty will wear off soon and the site will be dead within a few months.
Like OMGUpload?

Agnostic Bear
04-03-2009, 01:43 PM

Yes I do what are you talking about?

GoldenMerc
04-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Its a unique idea, Nice one guys.

kk.
04-03-2009, 05:15 PM
i fail to see why changing the button is that big of a problem.. it would take a matter of minutes. And instant products rarely work. mainly due to the fact that no research would have been undertaken.

in any case, reading that sentence again, it doesnt even make sense.

and just to clear something up, i have nothing against the site itself. Its a good idea and youve found something with the twitter API that is useful. and its designed well, the simplicity and colours.. just not the button.

Jonster
04-03-2009, 06:18 PM
One button has sparked a mass argument, lovely. I do agree with the majority here, on that the button ruins the design. I completely agree with kk, in that as a designer you seek perfection - that button, not matching the design at all does not even touch perfection, and thus I would suggest you change it.

It would only take the most of 10-20 minutes, little time at all. In fact, something you could do it whilst you read through the forums. The collected time you will have spent messaging on here, you could have created that bloody button, and even started developing another API.

Awfy
04-03-2009, 09:08 PM
I don't need to bother changing the button, I would know since I made the site.

Dentafrice
04-03-2009, 10:59 PM
I've got some pretty cool ideas for this :) I'll post them later. Got some more work to do on it.

Jonster
04-03-2009, 11:14 PM
I don't need to bother changing the button, I would know since I made the site.

But if we are potential users of the site then surely it's best to listen to those who use it frequently?

Let's take [/URL][url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/4344890/Virgin-the-worlds-best-passenger-complaint-letter.html]THIS (http://%5BURL=%22http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/4344890/Virgin-the-worlds-best-passenger-complaint-letter.html%5DTHIS%22) for example. It is a complaint to Virgin Airlines about pretty much everything. What does our friend Richard do? He doesn't respond with "oh well I came up with the idea of the on-board entertainment, I would think I'd know if it needs changing or not." Instead, he realises his mistakes and thus corrects them. Clearly Richard was not aware of the problem, as it was a passenger (in your case Twitter) who used experienced the poor service, and most likely will not return to use the airline (in your case the site).

It may just only be a button...but its a minor detail that has a major draw back to the overall appearance of the site.

I hope you see my example with clarity here. It is indeed only a button, but I hope the example shows to you that no matter what the feedback received is, it is always important to make those changes to keep the users happy.

kk.
04-03-2009, 11:32 PM
In other words, just because you came up with the idea, it doesn't mean it's perfect.

Waiting to see some other ideas from you..

Dentafrice
04-03-2009, 11:37 PM
In other words, just because you came up with the idea, it doesn't mean it's perfect.

Waiting to see some other ideas from you..
Was that entire comment directed at me?

kk.
04-03-2009, 11:41 PM
O no lol, the last bit was but that was serious. I was just re wording what he wrote in the paragraph into one sentence

Dentafrice
04-03-2009, 11:42 PM
I've been generating some pretty interesting statistics from this, including individual user statistics that are generated.

Some information includes the most popular day you tweet on, the most popular hour, and your most popular reply information.

I thought about also analyzing the actual content from keywords.. not really sure.

Awfy
05-03-2009, 08:21 AM
I have tonnes of ideas for websites and applications, some are already being built. Have to remember though I'm not just allowed to make everything I come up with, it has to go past Calum first as I'm under contract. So you may never seen most of the things I have came up with or you may see them but they will just be branded with Youmeo instead of my name.

P.S: the buttons not changing.

Dentafrice
05-03-2009, 12:18 PM
The statistics that can be calculated behind this are absolutely amazing. Gah :)

Excellent2
05-03-2009, 02:30 PM
The button only looks good in safari.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!