PDA

View Full Version : My mum just bought me a macbook

dirrty
01-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Off eBay for only £630 including P&P. The aluminium 2.0ghz, 2gb ram Macbook and it's in good condition. I should get it hopefully by Wednesday :D

I plan on upgrading the ram to 4gb when I get some more money aswell, hopefully next week or the week after.

Can anyone recommend any good cases/sleeves for it also?

Ta

Jordan,
01-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Arnt you a lucky boy look on the apple store for case there is normally nice ones

Barmi
01-03-2009, 07:04 PM
It depends on your own needs.

I have one of these:
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TJ653ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MjIzMDk2NQ

HotelUser
02-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Wait...she just flat out bought it for you? Was it a special occasion, or are you paying for it?

dirrty
02-03-2009, 12:11 AM
no special occasion? i wanted a macbook for uni which i start next year but i got it early. it'll last me for a good couple of years anyway when i upgrade the ram in a few weeks. hopefully anyway.

HotelUser
02-03-2009, 03:01 AM
no special occasion? i wanted a macbook for uni which i start next year but i got it early. it'll last me for a good couple of years anyway when i upgrade the ram in a few weeks. hopefully anyway.

I imagine it'll last. They're good machines:).

Monopoly
02-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Same one as me. :)
I'm gunna upgrade my RAM too, but I don't have any money atm. :(

Axel
02-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Wow... those specs aren't worth £630. A pc i got has them specs and cost £20.

dirrty
02-03-2009, 04:38 PM
yes, but i wanted a macbook.

Recursion
02-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Doesn't it just being bought for you take the excitement and satisfaction away from it rather than if you had saved for it your self?

Personally thats what I wanna do

Axel
02-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Paying for the brand then.

dirrty
02-03-2009, 04:50 PM
so?
when it comes to clothing, i go for the brands. when i get mobiles, i go for the brands. so tbh it doesn't seem any different when it comes to getting a macbook.

edit;

Doesn't it just being bought for you take the excitement and satisfaction away from it rather than if you had saved for it your self?

Personally thats what I wanna do
no, not really lol. it'd take too long for me to save up to afford one with my own money so i think i can settle with someone else buying me one :P

HotelUser
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Wow... those specs aren't worth £630. A pc i got has them specs and cost £20.

-Rep. This is the Apple and Mac section. If you don't already understand that there is a price difference between PCs and Macs, and that hardware is not the only difference, then you shouldn't be posting here.

Paying for the brand then.

No, he's paying for the superior operating system.

Source
02-03-2009, 05:07 PM
No your paying for the brand, the OS itself only costs £74. Not a bad thing to be paying for the brand, I'll get the 4gb model in a couple of months I think.

Axel
02-03-2009, 05:14 PM
No, he's paying for the superior operating system.

The superior operating system with 2 gig ram and 2 ghz processor for £630?

HotelUser
02-03-2009, 05:22 PM
No your paying for the brand, the OS itself only costs £74. Not a bad thing to be paying for the brand, I'll get the 4gb model in a couple of months I think.

True, but only for the minority of OSX users. Because the majority doesn't condone Hackintosh systems.

I expect it was dual core 2Ghz and probably 800Mhz 2GB ram. But regardless he got a good deal. Anyways, OSX Leopard doesn't need as much resources as its Windows counterparts.

he got a good deal. You don't know much about Macs. There's not that much else to say really:P.

Barmi
02-03-2009, 05:25 PM
To build on what I posted earlier... it depends on whether you will be carrying the MacBook around short distances in your arms, or within another bag (in which case, the product I linked you to is absolutely ideal), else you might want a laptop bag. You would need to tell us what you are looking for before we could give you any results. :)

--

Unless you are going to answer the OP's question, can I suggest you troll elsewhere?

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/DenamarieErcolani/troll.jpg

Axel
02-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Unless you are going to answer the OP's question, can I suggest you troll elsewhere?

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/DenamarieErcolani/troll.jpg

I'm making a point, not posting to deliberately cause an arguement, which is trolling. But if you're all so emo about one little point I might as well stop posting.

Good day.

Suspective
02-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Windows :D

Edited by Yoshimitsui (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make pointless comments.

HotelUser
02-03-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm making a point, not posting to deliberately cause an arguement, which is trolling. But if you're all so emo about one little point I might as well stop posting.

Good day.

We have no problem with people making points. It's just, we disapprove of invalid points:).

dirrty
02-03-2009, 05:35 PM
cheers barmi. yeah, ill probably get a case like the one you posted. i'll probably also buy a hard case or something like invisible shield for the macbook aswell to avoid any scratches. but on the apple site, hard cases are really expensive :O.

also, i don't care if some of you disapprove of macbooks or whatever. go make a thread if you wish to tell someone about it, as the majority of the regular users on this forum probably don't care. i'm asking for advice in this thread, and if you won't give me sufficient advice, then why bother post?

Rarelime
02-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Ive been considering buying the same MacBook model myelf. After using a friends, I loved everything about it.

Hayd93
02-03-2009, 05:44 PM
cheers barmi. yeah, ill probably get a case like the one you posted. i'll probably also buy a hard case or something like invisible shield for the macbook aswell to avoid any scratches. but on the apple site, hard cases are really expensive :O.

also, i don't care if some of you disapprove of macbooks or whatever. go make a thread if you wish to tell someone about it, as the majority of the regular users on this forum probably don't care. i'm asking for advice in this thread, and if you won't give me sufficient advice, then why bother post?

A mate of mine uses some stuff that you put on the windows of cars on his macbook. Works really well actually. He also has the case barmi suggested and its a great case so i would go for that.

Also if your not interested in mac please do go else were as this is the apple and Macintosh section.

Ali
02-03-2009, 05:45 PM
i also reccomend the apple.com/uk site because on ebay there are alot of fakes and that just aint cool, yah.

habtasia
02-03-2009, 06:09 PM
I personally, dont like anything from Apple apart from the iPhone otherwise i wouldnt have one myself, i think their OS is way to simple and far to slow no matter what RAM you have and also is not reliable and you cant get all the good programs for them, i have seen more pigs fly than apple software on any shelf in any store.

So i dont see the point of you getting a macbook because they are rubbish!

dirrty
02-03-2009, 06:15 PM
as i've said before, i don't care whether anyone thinks the macbook is rubbish :S

don't post advice, then don't post at all. not hard to figure out...

i wouldn't buy one from ebay anyway, but then again the apple store is expensive for some of the cases which i may consider. hopefully someone will post a reasonable price hard case link lol.

busybabes
02-03-2009, 06:25 PM
mummy and daddy pays

HotelUser
02-03-2009, 06:27 PM
I personally, dont like anything from Apple apart from the iPhone otherwise i wouldnt have one myself, i think their OS is way to simple and far to slow no matter what RAM you have and also is not reliable and you cant get all the good programs for them, i have seen more pigs fly than apple software on any shelf in any store.

You can really tell which users have used OSX and which users haven't.

You haven't:).

Monopoly
02-03-2009, 06:37 PM
You can really tell which users have used OSX and which users haven't.

You haven't:).

Lol, I know right.

dirrty
02-03-2009, 06:40 PM
mummy and daddy pays
...your point being?

busybabes
02-03-2009, 06:55 PM
get a job

Edited by Yoshimitsui (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make pointless comments, if you are not going to post constructivly then do not post.

dirrty
02-03-2009, 07:01 PM
get a job
don't be jealous just because your parents don't treat you with such things :S.

anyway, another question lol. i wanna play the sims 2 on my macbook when i get it, but should i buy the mac version or install xp/vista via bootcamp and use my windows version of the sims 2?

ta

Jam
02-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Anything above Tecknika (sp) and built yourself is rediculously priced, this Sony 4GB 2.10GHz cost £850, it struggles to do anything.

Hayd93
02-03-2009, 07:17 PM
don't be jealous just because your parents don't treat you with such things :S.

anyway, another question lol. i wanna play the sims 2 on my macbook when i get it, but should i buy the mac version or install xp/vista via bootcamp and use my windows version of the sims 2?

ta

Get mac version. I have it on my mac and it works great.

Jam
02-03-2009, 07:26 PM

I wonder why :l

dirrty
02-03-2009, 07:30 PM
ok, i'll see into that. it would cost loads though for all the expansion packs, which i have on windows already lol. suppose i could always download em through torrents though.

Hayd93
02-03-2009, 08:12 PM
I wonder why :l

What is that supposed to mean ?

Kyle!
02-03-2009, 08:36 PM
What is that supposed to mean ?

Yeah I didn't get that myself either! :S

habtasia
02-03-2009, 10:21 PM
as i've said before, i don't care whether anyone thinks the macbook is rubbish :S

don't post advice, then don't post at all. not hard to figure out...

i wouldn't buy one from ebay anyway, but then again the apple store is expensive for some of the cases which i may consider. hopefully someone will post a reasonable price hard case link lol.

You should care what people think sbout the macbook because if you have one, you may become unpopular on here

Alkaz
02-03-2009, 10:28 PM
I think you should give it to me.

Barmi
02-03-2009, 10:40 PM

When was the last time you used a Mac? I think you have been living a very secluded life...

You should care what people think sbout the macbook because if you have one, you may become unpopular on here
What are you chattin' about, bud? Since when were people judged based on the computer that they use? Do you have any useful cases in mind to help the OP with, y'know... the question he asked?

HotelUser
02-03-2009, 11:33 PM

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in the technology section.

I can guarantee that nobody in their right mind will think this way, and if they do, their opinions on other things will probably be so irrational you wouldn't want to be associated with these people:D.

Based off this post, as well as your preceding post, I'd say you're treading in unknown territory here. A lot of what you're saying is somewhat....um....misguided. To say the least :P.

bigdavecox90
03-03-2009, 01:21 PM
You are one lucky kid.

Wish my Mum would randomly spend £600 on me.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!