PDA

View Full Version : I hate vista, change OS?

OhLiam
04-03-2009, 01:20 AM
I downloaded Windows 7 a while ago and it's really good no problems except till now I'm prompt with the message "You are not running an illegal registered copy of Windows OS" or w.e

I have windows Vista as a partition because Windows 7 is only a beta. I really don't want to go back to Vista because it takes forever to load the desktop and is generally slow.

Is there anything else I can do with my laptops OS?, I don't want to spend money though :P

Any ideas?

HotelUser
04-03-2009, 03:07 AM
I downloaded Windows 7 a while ago and it's really good no problems except till now I'm prompt with the message "You are not running an illegal registered copy of Windows OS" or w.e

I have windows Vista as a partition because Windows 7 is only a beta. I really don't want to go back to Vista because it takes forever to load the desktop and is generally slow.

Is there anything else I can do with my laptops OS?, I don't want to spend money though :P

Any ideas?

You could download Ubuntu. It's linux, made for desktops/laptops. You wont be able to game on it (though you could simply boot into Vista for gaming), but it's perfect for web browsing, IM, media, word processing. I used Ubuntu after I was sick of Vista. Very good free alternative. There's a tool called Wubi which allows you to install Ubuntu from Windows, as if you were installing an application: http://wubi-installer.org/ Just download and install that, and you have Ubuntu.

Alternatively you can download an illegal copy of XP or even OSX (the operating system Macs use). It's totally free and totally illegal. If you want to get a link to a download I'm sure other users would be happy to point you in the right direction.

Recursion
04-03-2009, 07:37 AM
You could download Ubuntu. It's linux, made for desktops/laptops. You wont be able to game on it (though you could simply boot into Vista for gaming), but it's perfect for web browsing, IM, media, word processing. I used Ubuntu after I was sick of Vista. Very good free alternative. There's a tool called Wubi which allows you to install Ubuntu from Windows, as if you were installing an application: http://wubi-installer.org/ Just download and install that, and you have Ubuntu.

Alternatively you can download an illegal copy of XP or even OSX (the operating system Macs use). It's totally free and totally illegal. If you want to get a link to a download I'm sure other users would be happy to point you in the right direction.

I love this post. +REP if I can.

OhLiam
04-03-2009, 01:00 PM

Thanks, I'm downloading Ubunto and getting rid of Windows7 :P
+ Rep

Josh-H
05-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks, I'm downloading Ubunto and getting rid of Windows7 :P
+ Rep

In my opinion Ubuntu still isn't ready for the average user.
No iTunes is a problem, can't update your iPods etc.
Some printers and even video cards still don't have proper drivers available.
Some tasks still require use of the terminal.

And I just didn't think it was better than Windows.

Why not download OS X for your machine? Or if I was you, I would have stuck with windows 7...

HotelUser
05-03-2009, 08:51 PM
In my opinion Ubuntu still isn't ready for the average user.
No iTunes is a problem, can't update your iPods etc.

iTunes: http://www.linuxscrew.com/2007/09/19/install-itunes-72-in-ubuntu-and-other-linux-distros/

Basically you just use Wine to get it working. I'm not sure about how well that will support the iPod (if at all), but there are other methods of getting music onto an ipod or other MP3 player if you're running Ubuntu.

Some printers and even video cards still don't have proper drivers available.
Yes, hardware compatibillity can sometimes pose issues (although I never had a problem with my printer:))

Some tasks still require use of the terminal.
I found this true when it came to installing applications. Although it's not very hard to copy and paste commands from a website.

Why not download OS X for your machine? Or if I was you, I would have stuck with windows 7...
I'd try Ubuntu and OSX out.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!