DaveTaylor
08-03-2009, 12:11 AM
http://www.tehupload.com/uploads/49543c479e48a76web.jpg
http://www.tehupload.com/uploads/2486c479e48a762web1.jpg

news article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123629876097346481.html

Implement
08-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Apple aren't going to be happy! :P

Only problem I have with this, is, all good third party applications are now going to be costing us to download them, which sucks... I like free apps... :(

DaveTaylor
08-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Not all are going to cost, it depends on the devs.

Josh-H
08-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Whats the payment options?
I don't fancy putting credit card details into cydia.

DaveTaylor
08-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Whats the payment options?
I don't fancy putting credit card details into cydia.

amazon and soon to be paypal.

Mint
09-03-2009, 12:10 AM
If they make most apps cost something then I'm just gonna go back to using apples appstore. :/

Pyroka
09-03-2009, 12:39 AM
I sense a lawsuit incoming...

GommeInc
09-03-2009, 12:41 AM
I sense a lawsuit incoming...
If that does happen, wouldn't Apple get one too, for not believing in fair play (I think)? The one where they always get blamed for not allowing other companies to work with their products.

Recursion
09-03-2009, 07:20 AM
Great :rolleyes: What ever happened to it being free and opensource? :/

:job2
09-03-2009, 07:35 AM
They should have copyrighted the 'app store' when they had the chance, loads of smart phones have started copying Apple now by making there own app stores.

I suppose Apple could argue that they didn't want a 3rd party app store for security reasons, people trust iTunes but I haven't heard of cydia

GommeInc
09-03-2009, 01:37 PM
They should have copyrighted the 'app store' when they had the chance, loads of smart phones have started copying Apple now by making there own app stores.

I suppose Apple could argue that they didn't want a 3rd party app store for security reasons, people trust iTunes but I haven't heard of cydia
That'd be a pointless copyright though, considering loads of companies use things called app stores for their own products. Apple would just end up in alot of trouble if anything. Besides, they own rights to their dock, even though every other OS can have a dock application :P

Kyle!
09-03-2009, 05:42 PM
This is definitely a step in the wrong direction. As far as I'm aware, the whole point of Cydia was to escape Apple's wrath of making you pay for apps and for it to be open source, but now it just seems as if it's going to ****.

timROGERS
09-03-2009, 06:22 PM
These things can never last forever tbh - you aren't going to be able to keep Cydia as a totally free system. Already people had Cydia apps where you add to pay for a license key, this is just a step further towards integration.

Wouldn't be surprised if someone forks Cydia to create a "Cydia Open" package - or even just create a new system as it's apt based. A lot will be lost though as the repositories will be switching to this paid system.

Nick.
10-03-2009, 09:24 PM
If that does happen, wouldn't Apple get one too, for not believing in fair play (I think)? The one where they always get blamed for not allowing other companies to work with their products.
No because Apple has the right to do what it wants with it's software. It is against copyright or whatever it is Apple moan about to have Cydia and stuff like that, they don't seem to care much though. Mind you, now money is involved they might be on the ball with it. Typical Apple $$$

GommeInc
12-03-2009, 01:19 AM
No because Apple has the right to do what it wants with it's software. It is against copyright or whatever it is Apple moan about to have Cydia and stuff like that, they don't seem to care much though. Mind you, now money is involved they might be on the ball with it. Typical Apple $$$
It's not the software people are initially buying, it's the hardware. If people want certain apps that Apple themselves do not do (or sell for way too much money), but another company does (and may do them for free), then they have the right to use the other company(ies) software freely - Apple cannot physically tell someone not to, freedom of choice. If an iPhone or iPod allows these programs to access them, which it appears they do, then it could be said that it is Apples fault for allowing 3rd party programs to access them, and the 3rd party software creators can just claim that they are getting in on the action, and can do. It's like the iTune arguments that were (and probably are) still happening in Europe.

Nick.
12-03-2009, 12:39 PM
It's not the software people are initially buying, it's the hardware. If people want certain apps that Apple themselves do not do (or sell for way too much money), but another company does (and may do them for free), then they have the right to use the other company(ies) software freely - Apple cannot physically tell someone not to, freedom of choice. If an iPhone or iPod allows these programs to access them, which it appears they do, then it could be said that it is Apples fault for allowing 3rd party programs to access them, and the 3rd party software creators can just claim that they are getting in on the action, and can do. It's like the iTune arguments that were (and probably are) still happening in Europe.
No they don't let them in, Apple are constantly trying to prevent them from 'using the back alley'.

GommeInc
12-03-2009, 03:17 PM
No they don't let them in, Apple are constantly trying to prevent them from 'using the back alley'.
Then they're not doing a good job :P

Nick.
12-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Then they're not doing a good job :P
They're trying their hardest. It takes the geeky devs about 7 days awake 24 hours a day to do it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!