PDA

View Full Version : Public vs Personal Transport

Richie
11-03-2009, 05:10 AM
hey guys,
I was thinking of getting driving lessons but it would be pointless if i wasnt going to drive, i just wanted to see do you guys think using your own transport is a waste of money or do you think Public transport is the best way to go?

Thanks,
Richie.

clarissa !!
11-03-2009, 05:15 AM
i get free travel on buses and trams (L)
but im still gonna learn to drive

Immenseman
11-03-2009, 08:03 AM
i quite like public because i dno just do

Mathew
11-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Public transport = dirty, time-consuming and getting more expensive by the month.

Buy your own car!

camera
11-03-2009, 08:15 AM
theres pros and cons for both really but if i had to choose it'll be public coz its cheap (:

Turnip
11-03-2009, 08:15 AM
private transport is ovs better.
your own car = freedom

but public transport is alright, if you were going somewhere for like a day
and didnt wanna park your car somewhere.

Pyroka
11-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Public Transport, only because you can get nearly everywhere for half the price. Especially when you're travelling long distances, just get the plane... My trip to Edin would've costed like ALOT of petrol money if I drove from Devon, but 40 quid on the plane ^_^

JackBuddy
11-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Learn to drive sooner rather than later. You don't have to start driving as soon as you pass your test, but for the sake of convenience learn asap.

Fifteen
11-03-2009, 09:07 AM
I use public transport to get to college, have to get 2 buses there and 2 back. the bus conditions aren't bad, its just the face I have to get 2 buses so I could be waiting ages and public buses aren't always on time, "were not a taxi service" hah one time a bus drive said that to a man who was complaing.

i'm currently learning to drive, its going to make my life so much easier, where at like over 1 hour joureny will only take like 15 mins.

Samishlol
11-03-2009, 10:15 AM
I have a half price bus ticket, but I prefer public travel for some reason.

Barmi
11-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Public Transport, only because you can get nearly everywhere for half the price. Especially when you're travelling long distances, just get the plane... My trip to Edin would've costed like ALOT of petrol money if I drove from Devon, but 40 quid on the plane ^_^
Whoa, lucky you. At home, public transport costs are pretty much the same as petrol costs. If you have anyone with you, that's another £2 for them by bus, or an extra nothing by car. Heck, if five members of my family were to go out by bus, it would cost up to £10 there and £10 back! By car, it would be between £2-5 all day. Add in the fact that the main bus service at home takes 50 minutes to get to a town which is 15 minutes away by car...

Heck, the freedom of driving is somewhat liberating. You don't have to run to the irregular/late bus times, and you don't need to sit on a bus of grannies, chavs, and smelly/dirty people.

As for trains; they are by and large a joke. Getting around the south by train is cheap... but as soon as you want to come from the north, you're going to get charged ridiculous amounts which are usually on par with petrol costs. It is totally unnecessary and ridiculous that rail companies set prices like this, given that when you have (for example) a family traveling, car would be so much cheaper.

Learn to drive sooner rather than later. You don't have to start driving as soon as you pass your test, but for the sake of convenience learn asap.
Right on! :eusa_clap

Zak
11-03-2009, 11:40 AM
PERSONAL.

You can go any where you want any time you want? No waiting?

Personally I love driving my car, best thing I ever did.

Virgin Mary
11-03-2009, 11:44 AM
driving is so much more convenient and you aren't surrounded by tramps who stink or freaks playing **** on their phones

Barmi
11-03-2009, 11:59 AM
driving is so much more convenient and you aren't surrounded by tramps who stink or freaks playing **** on their phones

Quoted for truth. And they play it through the friggin' speakerphone.

tm
11-03-2009, 12:06 PM
The simple answer would be to work out the costs for both solutions then take into account other factors.

I go to work 4-6 times a week which is a 15 mile round-trip which costs me approx. £12 a week in fuel. Add in £1 a day insurance and £1 a day to cover tax and adding in other costs it would work out around £16 a week or £2.50 a day. The bus fare from my house to work is £6 return but is £15 for a weekly rover. Therfore it would be cheaper for me to get the bus. However, factor in other problems such as the bus running only once PER HOUR and never arriving at a consistent time, it starts to become less viable.

I also drive all over the country and sometimes out of the country which wouldn't be possible if I didn't have personal transport. I also travel from work late at night ie. 2am when buses don't run.

In conclusion, if your public transport network is reliabable and works out to a similar cost, and you're only going to one place and back, that'd be a cheaper option. In all other cases though, you'd be much better off with a car, even factoring in the cost of learning to drive.

Driving is also an important life-skill and you'll no doubt have to learn at some point for getting to and from work.

leah
11-03-2009, 02:10 PM
I usually walk everywhere or if its in a different town get a lift with my dad or if its relly far get the train.
I do enjoy catching the train but its expensive and yeh...

Jin
11-03-2009, 06:51 PM
hey guys,
I was thinking of getting driving lessons but it would be pointless if i wasnt going to drive, i just wanted to see do you guys think using your own transport is a waste of money or do you think Public transport is the best way to go?

Thanks,
Richie.

Its worth getting your own form of personal transport imo, though now I am living in london to be closer to work and uni I try and use public transport where possible.

But during the summer when I work outside the office its more economical for me to drive with 3 other mates rather than paying £30 each in train tickets.

It really depends on how much you travel and whether you can afford to upkeep of a car, insurance, MOT, tax, service, repairs they all add up in cost.

Nixt
11-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I genuinely wouldn't be able to live without my car now. So there is your answer.

VelvetClover
11-03-2009, 10:30 PM
I can't drive and I don't own a car so I use buses to get everywhere. I'd love to have my own car but it's the cost mainly, like, petrol, insurance and whatever else.
Buses etc are cheaper and better for the environment and you don't have to worry about parking but it is nicer to travel in your own car :)

tdi
12-03-2009, 07:13 PM
driving all the way, public transport is horrible. itt's dirty, smelly and usually full of chavs. f*ck the environment!

GommeInc
12-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Depends on the area. Public transport is unreliable and too expensive in my area. A trip to town will cost me more by bus than petrol for a car, so I tend to drive. Having a license is something to put on a CV though :P

The only problem I have with personal transport, is that too many idiots drive :P People who don't signal annoy the crap out of me :@

Barmi
12-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Depends on the area. Public transport is unreliable and too expensive in my area. A trip to town will cost me more by bus than petrol for a car, so I tend to drive. Having a license is something to put on a CV though :P

The only problem I have with personal transport, is that too many idiots drive :P People who don't signal annoy the crap out of me :@
Agreed... there are too many idiots on the road. (Usually young guys or old women, and they all annoy me.)

Public transport is too expensive for what you get. They can cut the environmental argument: if it was that important, it would be made significantly cheaper than private transport to make it a viable option. As it stands, private transport comes out on top.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!