PDA

View Full Version : Im a musician, would a mac be best?

Fehm
11-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey,
Ive been using Windows for my entire life, and although i have sibelius and the likes, i was just wondering whether purchasing a Mac would enable me to progress with my music.

Does the mac come with any Mixing/Recording, Notation software prebuilt in? if not, Which ones would you recommend

Thanks alot for any help (+rep)
Callum

Josh-H
11-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Apple include their iLife suite with Garageband on every new mac. It's quite a good starting program but you may want something more advanced eventually.

Kyle!
11-03-2009, 08:52 PM
If you're only looking to buy a Mac because your a musician then no, don't buy it. The programs are pretty much the same on both sides, from the exception of GarageBand, but that's mostly for beginners.

Barmi
11-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Hey,
Ive been using Windows for my entire life, and although i have sibelius and the likes, i was just wondering whether purchasing a Mac would enable me to progress with my music.

Does the mac come with any Mixing/Recording, Notation software prebuilt in? if not, Which ones would you recommend

Thanks alot for any help (+rep)
Callum
Every new Mac comes with GarageBand, but you might want to look at this:
http://www.apple.com/uk/logicstudio/logicpro/#new

Fehm
11-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Is garage band recording software is it just like loops and synths?
Because, What i do now is when i produce a song, i record it on my minidisk which plugs into my USB and upload , and then do the sheets for it with sibelius, its just im looking for something a bit faster than Windows Vista and a Dell Laptop lol :L

Hmmm....

undecided then :S

Josh-H
11-03-2009, 09:08 PM
You can record straight from a midi source in garageband or from a microphone.

Jin
11-03-2009, 09:31 PM
I dont think your computer hardware or brand is really going to help you "progress" with your music. I would focus my research more into the software availible for use on both sides of the market.

I know my neighbour uses a Mac with Logic Pro for a lot of his work.

Fehm
11-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I dont think your computer hardware or brand is really going to help you "progress" with your music. I would focus my research more into the software availible for use on both sides of the market.

I know my neighbour uses a Mac with Logic Pro for a lot of his work.

Thing is though, if the recordings arent very good quality, then the entire song looks rubbish and deters the listener away :L

Logic Pro seems to be a hit, Ill check it out :)

Thanks alot, Rep will be given where due!

Jin
12-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Yarr thats true but recording wise thats not really down to your computer its down to the quality of your equipment and room acoustics as well as your knowledge of music tech.

GommeInc
12-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Yarr thats true but recording wise thats not really down to your computer its down to the quality of your equipment and room acoustics as well as your knowledge of music tech.
And the software you're using too, I'm guessing?

newWORLDorder
12-03-2009, 01:30 AM
My parents switched to Mac for many reasons, one of them for my Mum as she is a musician, she finds LogicPro great, although she is not a huge fan of garage band, apart from the Guitar Lessons from the artists for my sister.

I would say yeah, you would benefit way more than on a PC, but as someone said read up on Macs first to get a gist of the change.

Recursion
12-03-2009, 07:17 AM
OS X does exactly the same as Windows but in a different way, goto an Apple store and try it, you cannot rely on other people's opinions on stuff like this.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!