PDA

View Full Version : New computer

-JT-
13-03-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm buy a new computer and am looking for anyone's suggestions as to what changes/improvments that I could make to the specs. Let me know...

Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM™ II X4 940 (3.0GHz) 8MB CACHE (Socket AM2+)

Memory (RAM)
8GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR 1066MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY (4x2GB)

Motherboard
ASUS® M3A79-T DELUXE: AM2+, DUAL DDR II, S-ATA II, 2 PCI

Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium 64 bit Edition + SP1, CD & Licence (£83)

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS (4 REAR + 2 FRONT) AS STANDARD

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1000GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

1st CD/DVD Drive
22x DUAL LAYER LIGHTSCRIBE DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Graphics Card
2048MB RADEON HD 4870X2 PCI Express + 2 x DVI

2nd Graphics Card
2048MB RADEON HD 4870X2 PCI Express + 2 x DVI

Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Champion Series - inc. Front Panel

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 932 BLACK GAMING PC CASE

Power Supply & Case Cooling
1500W Thermaltake Toughpower Modular + 120mm Case Fan

Processor Cooling
ASUS TRITON 81 PURE COPPER BASE ULTRA COOLER

Firewire & Video Editing2 x IEEE 1394a FIREWIRE PORTS (1 onboard, 1 at back panel)

Jahova
13-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Seems like a powerhouse. The other helpful members of this forum will be able to find you better parts, I think.. Btw, how much does all this cost?

Wootzeh
13-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Change the processor to Intel.

Jahova
13-03-2009, 08:54 PM
AMD are cheap and decent spec. I don't see anything wrong with them. If he has the money, then yes, go with Intel, but they are really decent for the price.

Jongo
13-03-2009, 08:57 PM
That's going to cost a fortune, and do you really need 1500w?

Stephen!
13-03-2009, 09:04 PM

Phenom II's are very worthy processors. I would rather have one than a Q6600.

Jahova
13-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Phenom II's are very worthy processors. I would rather have one than a Q6600.
As I said, AMD's are now underestimated. Intel used to excel them at performance, but AMD have now just about caught up on price and quality.

Jordy
13-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm not getting into the whole processor debate but I would of thought iCore 7 is better than Phenom II however you'd of surely considered that anyway.

Hows about Blu-Ray to put your graphics cards to a bit of use. And have you considered an SSD for running the OS and some programs? 7200RPM on a 1TB HDD is pretty fast anyway I suppose.

Stephen!
13-03-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't think you should change anything. Just click the order button.

Jahova
13-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Isn't the i7 much more expensive than the Phenom II? If it is and the price difference is alot, just keep the PII, it'll be just as good.

Myth
13-03-2009, 09:33 PM
You should get a Mac there pretty awesome. But the info you posted abotu the computer you buying, is just as good. :D

Wootzeh
13-03-2009, 09:46 PM
You should get a Mac there pretty awesome. But the info you posted abotu the computer you buying, is just as good. :D
inb4flame

HotelUser
13-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Go Intel and ditch Vista for XP. Then it's good:).

Recursion
13-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Go Intel and ditch Vista for XP. Then it's good:).

http://www.thetechlounge.com/files/news/images/1218040103_troll.gif

N!ck
13-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Looks good. How much is it?

And at this sort of spec hard drive bandwidth is going to be a huge bottleneck. Go for a RAID array or at least an SSD.

HotelUser
13-03-2009, 11:33 PM
http://www.thetechlounge.com/files/news/images/1218040103_troll.gif

That's a beautiful picture, although my post is genuine, sorry!

Jordy
13-03-2009, 11:46 PM
That's a beautiful picture, although my post is genuine, sorry!I was going to post some smart comment about using a Security Suite would stop all these virus's, firewalls and infections your signature speaks of, but then I realised, Windows XP is the older less-secure Operating-System which Microsoft had to dedicate it's resources to for SP2, all-in-all slowing the progress of Windows Vista down.

I find it silly enough that you prefer XP over Vista anyway, but you could at least use a real advantage of XP over Vista. It's not even opinion when it comes to security, it can be statistically proven that Vista is more secure. You need a decent AV on either Operating-System at the end of the day anyway.

Coldplay
13-03-2009, 11:54 PM
inb4flame

inb4/b/tar*.

HotelUser
14-03-2009, 12:08 AM
I was going to post some smart comment about using a Security Suite would stop all these virus's, firewalls and infections your signature speaks of, but then I realised, Windows XP is the older less-secure Operating-System which Microsoft had to dedicate it's resources to for SP2, all-in-all slowing the progress of Windows Vista down.

I find it silly enough that you prefer XP over Vista anyway, but you could at least use a real advantage of XP over Vista. It's not even opinion when it comes to security, it can be statistically proven that Vista is more secure. You need a decent AV on either Operating-System at the end of the day anyway.

It can be statistically proven that if you know what you're doing you don't even need AV because you wont get a virus by being careless (although I do run AVG on my XP machine for when I torrent; although you cannot expect AV to catch everything). The words in my signature are not my own. I could change them if I wanted to:
Vulnerabilities
Incompatibility
Sluggish
Trojans and
Adaware
XP has the flaws in my signature, OSX has holes too....it's harder to find things that being with X:P.

Stephen!
14-03-2009, 12:16 AM
The person who made that is stupid. Adaware is a program made for removing adware

N!ck
14-03-2009, 12:18 AM
It can be statistically proven that if you know what you're doing you don't even need AV because you wont get a virus by being careless (although I do run AVG on my XP machine for when I torrent; although you cannot expect AV to catch everything). The words in my signature are not my own. I could change them if I wanted to:
Vulnerabilities
Incompatibility
Sluggish
Trojans and
Adaware
XP has the flaws in my signature, OSX has holes too....it's harder to find things that being with X:P.

Yes, you won't get a virus by being careless, but even the most careful people are at risk from the mistakes of the careless around them. Just because you won't put yourself in a position to become infected doesn't mean someone who isn't so careful won't interact with you in some way that can cause a transfer.

Even some clever pop-up adverts have nasties lurking that will automatically try to infect you.

HotelUser
14-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Yes, you won't get a virus by being careless, but even the most careful people are at risk from the mistakes of the careless around them. Just because you won't put yourself in a position to become infected doesn't mean someone who isn't so careful won't interact with you in some way that can cause a transfer.

Even some clever pop-up adverts have nasties lurking that will automatically try to infect you.

True, but then there are the users who hardly ever download anything at all (heaven forbid it be illegal), never open e-mail attachments and only go on what would be considered respectable websites, not containing such irrational ads.

Although that still doesn't mean you're guaranteed not to get infected.

Agnostic Bear
14-03-2009, 10:31 AM
True, but then there are the users who hardly ever download anything at all (heaven forbid it be illegal), never open e-mail attachments and only go on what would be considered respectable websites, not containing such irrational ads.

Although that still doesn't mean you're guaranteed not to get infected.

The chance is basically 0 because crackers don't just go around cracking into firewalls for the good of thier health.

-JT-
14-03-2009, 12:45 PM
That's going to cost a fortune, and do you really need 1500w?

This is the main thing I'm questioning, perhaps the 1200W would do? I'm really not sure.

Stephen!
14-03-2009, 01:03 PM
For 4870X2 crossfire, 1200w is going to be needed.

-JT-
15-03-2009, 03:59 PM
For 4870X2 crossfire, 1200w is going to be needed.

Yeah that's what I thought.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!