PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Firmware 3.0 Info March 17th.

Jamesy
15-03-2009, 11:10 AM
http://images.appleinsider.com/iphone3event-090312.png

Apple on Thursday announced plans to hold a special media event for journalists on its Cupertino-based campus that will offer a sneak preview of the next-generation iPhone operating system dubbed iPhone 3.0.

The event will take place at 10:00 a.m. Pacific time on Tuesday March 17th in the intimate setting of the Apple Town Hall -- the same venue used to introduce the company's new unibody MacBooks last fall and the original iPhone Software Developers Kit (SDK) last March.

ArsTechnica was amongst the publications invited and has posted the following image from the email invite.

At this juncture, there's no indication that Apple will use the gathering to divulge details of next-generation iPhone handset hardware, which is expected to be unveiled several months later at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference or another event of its choosing.

Sauce: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03/12/apple_to_unveil_iphone_3_0_software_at_march_17th_ event.html

Sounds interesting, I don't have an iPhone but the rumour about a dashboard like system with little simple widgets does seem like a good idea.

marriott0.01
15-03-2009, 11:17 AM
lolirl you spelt source wrong, we're not talking about ketchup ;)

And there are a lot of rumours going around about the iPhone 3.0 Software, but I want my iPhone and iPod Touch to be updated, so I'm hoping they're going to release all the new features for both devices, and this time it better be free!

Jamesy
15-03-2009, 11:23 AM
lolirl you spelt source wrong, we're not talking about ketchup ;)

Really? :rolleyes:. Intentional my dear boy. :8

marriott0.01
15-03-2009, 11:30 AM
I love ketchup ;)

blanky12!
15-03-2009, 04:32 PM
mac rumours thinks the following will be in 3.0

A more interesting report comes from John Gruber (http://www.macrumors.com/c.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fdaringfireball.net%2Flinked%2 F2009%2F03%2F12%2Fiphone-os-3-guesses&t=1237134603) about his "guesses" for iPhone 3.0 from back at Macworld:

First, a new home screen app (a.k.a. SpringBoard), designed from the ground up for a system where users have a few dozen or more extra apps installed. Managing dozens of apps on the iPhone today is simply a pain in the ass. Second, maybe an answer to the question of where the background notification API is — you know, the one we were told at WWDC to expect a few months ago, but which we haven’t heard a word about since. And maybe — pretty please, Mr. Forstall, with sugar on top — copy and paste.

DaveTaylor
15-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Be interesting to see what comes, bet the Dev Team are ready to go.

Source
15-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Sounds good. Great, even.

xxMATTGxx
15-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Sounds good, I hope Apple officially announce MMS and some sort of copy and paste system, but MMS is the main one for me. Even though I don't own an iPhone at the moment.

xxMATTGxx
15-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Update from MacRumors:

During a live taping of Diggnation, Kevin Rose revealed details about the expected "Copy and Paste" functionality coming in iPhone 3.0. World of Apple reports on the event with a link to a video of the moment (warning: strong language).

According to Rose, to invoke Copy and Paste, you simply double tap on the word, and a magnifier bubble will appear with two quotes that you can drag around your selection. Once you make your selection, you can copy, paste or cut. Rose has been accurate in the past with details about upcoming Apple product revisions. As well, we have also heard that Copy and Paste will be arriving in 3.0 alongside a much improved homepage/springboard with the ability to organize in categories.

Apple will be revealing iPhone 3.0 in detail on Tuesday, March 17th at a special media event.

Recursion
17-03-2009, 05:29 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/live-from-apples-iphone-os-3-0-preview-event/

Live feed.

Kyle!
17-03-2009, 07:19 PM
All right I suppose, especially happy about MMS... Finally.

Jordy
17-03-2009, 07:32 PM
iPhone 3.0 lmao, that's seriously the most stupid and confusing naming system I've ever seen in any products. I guess it's not too much fault of their own that their 'Generation' naming system clashes with the '3G Network' but this could of been prevented if they had foreseen this or included 3G all along.

I struggle as it is but with a 'second' iPhone 3G this is just ridiculous, the majority call the iPhone 2G the iPhone 3G because it supports the 3G network, this new one is the true iPhone 3G. I suspect some idiots will start calling it 4G which will continue to confuse the next generation of iPhones.

MMS? Just a load of rubbish and it's completely unnecessary in a Smartphone which already handles email very well, it really is crap when you've got email.

Copy and paste, old news but their way of doing it really doesn't seem the easy way.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!