PDA

View Full Version : iMac 24" 2.8Ghz... any good?

Hitman
22-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Hey, well I'm getting a new computer... if I can get a decent Mac cheap then I'll go for it. :D I saw this...

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.segundamano.es%2Fvi%2 F14414491.htm%3Fca%3D29_s&sl=es&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Is that any good... I mean, it looks good... but for a Mac? Is the processor any good?

Thanks!

Andys
22-03-2009, 04:49 PM
400 euros?
surely a scam?

dirrty
22-03-2009, 04:52 PM
omg, that seems too good to be true lol.

Hitman
22-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I'd go and pick it up to make sure it wasn't a scam. :P Yeah I realised it was very very cheap... hmm...

GommeInc
22-03-2009, 04:56 PM
400 euros isn't alot for one of them, they're usually above the £800 - £1000 mark...

dirrty
22-03-2009, 04:57 PM
yeah, because thats just outrageously cheap for what its worth. makes you question why the persons selling it so cheap really.

Hitman
22-03-2009, 04:59 PM
yeah, because thats just outrageously cheap for what its worth. makes you question why the persons selling it so cheap really.Indeed... they live not too far away from me, so I'd make sure it works and everything... hopefully they haven't sold it already. :P

Recursion
22-03-2009, 06:12 PM
If its too good to be true then it probably is. If he doesn't live too far away go with a friend to check it out.

Hitman
22-03-2009, 06:31 PM
If its too good to be true then it probably is. If he doesn't live too far away go with a friend to check it out.
I've got an inclination that he missed off a 1 from the beginning.. it's probably meant to be 1400 euros...

I'll see if he replies to my email first... could be sold already. :(

Nick.
23-03-2009, 11:30 AM
I have a 2.8Ghz Alu iMac and it's a beauty. I prefer the thicker stand to the new thinner ones.

Hitman
23-03-2009, 04:24 PM
The guy selling it replied... 400 euros for it. He sends in the 48 hour post. Dunno if it'd dodgy or not, I mean, it's so cheap... he said it's all in the box etc.

Hitman
23-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Well I just asked for some more pics and they were provided... pics he took himself btw.

Maybe he's genuine and just wants rid of it... or maybe not... hmm.

Couldn't edit btw.

dirrty
23-03-2009, 06:19 PM
you gonna collect it?

Recursion
23-03-2009, 06:20 PM
If hes not far away to a cash on collection and for god sake, take a friend LOL

dirrty
23-03-2009, 06:21 PM
yeah don't pay by card/paypal or whatever and then let him post. too risky!

Nick.
23-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Malaga isn't too far from you is it?

Hitman
23-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Well, he's saying he's from Avila, which is north of Madrid - a 7 hour car trip (there) and another 7 back... so collecting is a nono.

Here are some pics... dunno if he took 'em or just got them from Google or something. He did provide 2 more but I cba uploading.

http://www.tehupload.com/uploads/7084c240907e141pic1.jpeg
http://www.tehupload.com/uploads/19203c240907e14pic2.jpeg
http://www.tehupload.com/uploads/1903c240907e142pic3.jpeg

I think I'll just wait for replies from the ones I enquired about in Malaga (I emailed about 10!)

Cheers for the replies guys.

dirrty
23-03-2009, 06:56 PM
is there a form of secure payment then? because since hes posting it, he can take your money and do a runner. or say that he posted it when he actually didn't etc. etc.

Hitman
23-03-2009, 07:03 PM
you gonna collect it?

If hes not far away to a cash on collection and for god sake, take a friend LOL

is there a form of secure payment then? because since hes posting it, he can take your money and do a runner. or say that he posted it when he actually didn't etc. etc.
PayPal, but he only wants a bank transfer... I told him I'm suspicious/worried and he said he'd send it tomorrow and show me an invoice then I send the payment.

Pfft I dunno tbh. I think I'll wait until the others reply (the others I asked about near Malaga)

dirrty
23-03-2009, 07:09 PM
if it aint through paypal, then sadly don't bother as you can't be sure its not a scam and do you really wanna lose that much money?

but yeah, i'd be very cautious because it does seem too good to be true. be amazing if it all works out though - which i hope it does.

Hitman
23-03-2009, 07:14 PM
if it aint through paypal, then sadly don't bother as you can't be sure its not a scam and do you really wanna lose that much money?

but yeah, i'd be very cautious because it does seem too good to be true. be amazing if it all works out though - which i hope it does.
True, true... it does indeed... I'm unsure atm. You know those things where you send parcels with services such as UPS and FedEx and on delivery the person pays them... I'll see if he'll do that. Win-win then.

dirrty
23-03-2009, 08:15 PM
yeah but if theres anything wrong with the imac, you can't really do anything about it. whereas if you inspected it beforehand, then you can see whats wrong, but because its so far from you, you can't. hopefully it pans out though.

Hitman
23-03-2009, 08:45 PM
yeah but if theres anything wrong with the imac, you can't really do anything about it. whereas if you inspected it beforehand, then you can see whats wrong, but because its so far from you, you can't. hopefully it pans out though.
Again, very true. He won't do a cash on delivery thing, so I'm not going to take the risk. I'll buy one local. :P Thanks though guys!

Just a question: How smoothly would a Mac run with 1GB of RAM and an Intel Core 2 processor @1.6Ghz when it's using MSN, Photoshop and the web? Just wondering...

Kyle!
23-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Again, very true. He won't do a cash on delivery thing, so I'm not going to take the risk. I'll buy one local. :P Thanks though guys!

Just a question: How smoothly would a Mac run with 1GB of RAM and an Intel Core 2 processor @1.6Ghz when it's using MSN, Photoshop and the web? Just wondering...

Not good at all. I'm saying this from first hand experience, I did what you're doing on a Mac Mini (except process was core 2 duo 1.83) and that could hardly handle it.

Hitman
24-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Not good at all. I'm saying this from first hand experience, I did what you're doing on a Mac Mini (except process was core 2 duo 1.83) and that could hardly handle it.
That would mean it would cope worse than a Packard Bell laptop running Windows XP... my 1.6Ghz 800MB RAM laptop can handle them...

HotelUser
24-03-2009, 06:04 PM

Your mini should be able to handle that fine. My core 2 duo 2.0Ghz 3GB ram iMac only slows when I'm in xp in VmWare, Age of Empires, iTunes, Safari, Mail and Adium. G4s can run Photoshop and Safari at the same time well...

Hitman
24-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Okay, I could get a 24" with 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4Ghz, 300GB HDD... for 525.00 euros... the guy says he owns a shop, and they're getting rid of old stock cheap. This price is a tad more realistic, but still very cheap. He say's that he'll do the Cash on Delivery thing, where I pay the courier when the package arrives.

What do you guys think?

Kyle!
24-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Okay, I could get a 24" with 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4Ghz, 300GB HDD... for 525.00 euros... the guy says he owns a shop, and they're getting rid of old stock cheap. This price is a tad more realistic, but still very cheap. He say's that he'll do the Cash on Delivery thing, where I pay the courier when the package arrives.

What do you guys think?

In my opinion, still way to cheap. If you're trying to get rid of old stock and stuff you don't nearly half the price... Could be true though. See what others have to say.

dirrty
24-03-2009, 08:05 PM
are you able to check the mac when you receive it before you pay for it then?

Hitman
24-03-2009, 08:34 PM
are you able to check the mac when you receive it before you pay for it then?
I'd certainly check it first... I'd just tell the post man to wait. :P

Bit suspicious again... he says he's from Sevilla, but he's in Barcelona... his last name if the Spanish f word... lol... dodgy. Hasn't replied since I said where I'm at (Malaga). Bloody waste of time tbh, all of those supposedly in Malaga are 700 bloody km away!

Kevin
24-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I'd certainly check it first... I'd just tell the post man to wait. :P

Bit suspicious again... he says he's from Sevilla, but he's in Barcelona... his last name if the Spanish f word... lol... dodgy. Hasn't replied since I said where I'm at (Malaga). Bloody waste of time tbh, all of those supposedly in Malaga are 700 bloody km away!

My friends second name is carajo

Hitman
24-03-2009, 08:46 PM
My friends second name is carajo
Starts with an f ends in a. :P Although the word you said is also the f word, there are a couple.

Jahova
24-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Unlucky, but if you can check on delivery then go for it!

Hitman
24-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Pfft doesn't matter now anyway. He said go to the shop and get it GOODBYE. lol. Scammer imo.

Nevermind, I think I'll just save up and buy one when I go back to the UK.

Judge Judy
24-03-2009, 09:22 PM
If he's in Barcelona avoid. They're known for being scammers thieves etc (thats what the taxi man said and hotel receptionist xD)

Anyway good luck in getting one - better if you get it q. cheap. :P

Kevin
24-03-2009, 10:54 PM
If he's in Barcelona avoid. They're known for being scammers thieves etc (thats what the taxi man said and hotel receptionist xD)

Anyway good luck in getting one - better if you get it q. cheap. :P

That's really really really really stereotypical, and I'm sure him living in Spain he would know the best out of all of us.

HotelUser
24-03-2009, 11:17 PM

What do you guys think?

The best place to go to is Apple's own referb store online. I wouldn't trust anyone else who can sell you such a cheap iMac.

Hitman
25-03-2009, 04:09 PM
About people from Barcelona being scammers... it's the same everywhere, in Spain, in the UK, in America, etc... there are scammers everywhere, however there are also many genuine people.

The best place to go to is Apple's own referb store online. I wouldn't trust anyone else who can sell you such a cheap iMac.

Ahh excellent! They appear to be cheaper!

Judge Judy
25-03-2009, 05:22 PM
That's really really really really stereotypical, and I'm sure him living in Spain he would know the best out of all of us.
Don't blame me for making it stereotypical... blame the locals :P

Anyway gl[/thread]

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!