PDA

View Full Version : Now this is just crazy.

Technologic
24-03-2009, 05:23 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7961135.stm

Virgin eyes 150Mb broadband speed

By Darren Waters
Technology editor, BBC News website

Fibre optic networks are offering faster broadband speeds
Virgin Media will offer 100 to 150Mbps broadband speeds up to two years before BT completes its rival fibre network.
"We have an opportunity with our network to provide significantly higher speeds," Virgin Media's chief executive Neil Berkett told BBC News.
BT has said its fibre network will hit the first crop of UK cities by early 2010 and will be complete by 2012.
Virgin currently offers a top speed of 50Mbps while BT is pledging 40 to 60Mb.
Mr Berkett said its fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) network was capable of supporting up to 200Mbps but roll out of higher speeds was a "function of timing".
He said: "When we look at the market I don't see us getting the returns right now for 100 or 150Mbps.
See what applications work at different speeds
"As we work with application providers, and content providers... there will be a natural point where we upgrade from 10, 20 and 50Mbps to something more.
"If BT were to meet the time frame they have suggested - of finishing by 2012 - I would see us as having much, much faster upstream speed, running at a minimum of 100Mbps downstream and possibly more. You can see a real opportunity there."
Faster speeds
Mr Berkett said he would be surprised if Virgin Media did not start the roll out of faster speeds next year.
BT has said it will deploy FTTC technology at 29 exchanges across the UK in the coming 9 to 12 months.
The network will offer speeds of up to 40Mbps - and potentially 60Mbps - to 500,000 homes and businesses.
Areas of Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, London and Greater Manchester will be able to access the fibre network, which will be opened up on a wholesale basis to Internet Service Providers (ISPs) who can then offer various broadband packages to customers.
Virgin Media says its network reaches half of all homes in the UK. The technology has a theoretical limit of 200Mbps downsteam speeds.
Mr Berkett said the firm had not ruled out the possibility of opening its own network to other ISPs.
He said: "We had this conversation with a bunch of investors recently. Our position is 'Let's prove the market'.
"Wholesaling is not off our agenda but right now it is not a priority for us."
He added: "Who knows, by the time BT have rolled out their next generation network we may be in position to explore wholesale."

jackass
24-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Haha, that is actually ridiculous. :P

N!ck
24-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Get a decent upload speed first.

Recursion
24-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Japan are already wayyyyyyyyy ahead.

Get 50 meg out in the country side first and a decent upload speed... THEN move on to 150 meg speeds.

Jamesy
24-03-2009, 06:13 PM
150. You can use your daily limit in seconds!

:P

Jahova
24-03-2009, 06:18 PM
150. You can use your daily limit in seconds!

:P
Lol,true :)

N!ck
24-03-2009, 06:18 PM

Get 50 meg out in the country side first and a decent upload speed... THEN move on to 150 meg speeds.

50Mbps is like free in Japan and you have to pay to get faster or something :S.

LOLROB
24-03-2009, 06:32 PM
I read up on this today in school and I was shocked really bad
Maybe we get 1TB download speed one day =))

xxMATTGxx
24-03-2009, 06:36 PM

I think we already know Japan will be way ahead of us anyway. Sounds crazy to be honest, I wonder how much this will cost us considering the price of 50mb :P

BeanEgg
24-03-2009, 06:43 PM
100MB + is already in Europe, just this country being odd.

Sweden it is I believe.

Luke
24-03-2009, 07:06 PM
don't japan already have 1 GB/s broadband :P?

N!ck
24-03-2009, 07:10 PM
don't japan already have 1 GB/s broadband :P?

Yes, in some parts, as does Sweden and the Netherlands in some parts and there is the odd bit of Canada as well i think.

Jahova
24-03-2009, 07:23 PM
How far behind is the UK. Take Cardiff for example, we have some of the slowest net-speeds of the developed world.

Agnostic Bear
26-03-2009, 05:11 PM
just this country being odd.

No it's not, the reason the UK doesn't have faster internet is because of the cost, we put copper cables everywhere and to lay the fibre down is gonna cost a lot of money which someone has to pay for.

GommeInc
26-03-2009, 05:20 PM
And here's me thinking the speed I already get is fast :P Surely it would be pointless considering upload speeds aren't usually that good? And wasn't it mnetioned ages ago that some servers where you download stuff limit themselves to stop the idea of them crashing?

Josh-H
26-03-2009, 05:43 PM
And here's me thinking the speed I already get is fast :P Surely it would be pointless considering upload speeds aren't usually that good? And wasn't it mnetioned ages ago that some servers where you download stuff limit themselves to stop the idea of them crashing?

Some may well do but it would be good for multitasking. Downloading a ubuntu iso torrent while playing xbox live & using spotify.

Flisker
26-03-2009, 06:44 PM
100MB + is already in Europe, just this country being odd.

Sweden it is I believe.
It was Germany (ISP is Netcologne). They released it in 2007 to most parts of Koeln (Cologne). Also with 10MB/s Upload.

www.netcologne.de (http://www.netcologne.de)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!