PDA

View Full Version : Can't Enter System Recover On Vista Startup.

AlexOC
24-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Well after ranting and raving at one of my old computers performance, and installing more programs on it, which could possibly be the worst decision, It finally gave way and give up. Now on start up i get a little screen telling me F Numbers for various basic tasks, and then goes to a black screen telling me 'Choose proper boot device and restart' or something along them roads.

Anywhoo onto the actual problem, rewinding back to the F-Number screen, referring to my booklet which ive suprisingly kept for a number of years, i decided a System Recovery would be of order, So i tap F11 as instructued by the screen and nothing happens, i repeatedly tap it, and hold it but nothing happens and it wanders back to the 'Select proper boot device' ingnoring me.

Now i need to get this computer working, and occasionaly when i do manage to get onto the desktop, a couple webpages later and it decides to show a bluescreen. Is there anyway i can do a system restore without the need for any discs.

~Au Revoir, Alex.

Berch
25-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Your running vista yeah?
Have you tried tapping F8 untill the 'Advanced Boot Options' screen appears and selecting safe mode?

Which than you can do a system restore and hope for the best otherwise without discs I dont think it's possible. Does your computer have a recovery partition?

AlexOC
25-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Your running vista yeah?
Have you tried tapping F8 untill the 'Advanced Boot Options' screen appears and selecting safe mode?

Which than you can do a system restore and hope for the best otherwise without discs I dont think it's possible. Does your computer have a recovery partition?

Mmm thanks i didnt know that F8 was a option on startup. And im not sure i have a drive called 'FACTORY_IMAGE' that i cant open, i think thats the recovery.

Robbie
25-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Go to start, type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. Disk Management will open. Right click FACTORY_IMAGE and click Mark Partition as active, OK anything that comes up then restart. Recovery should automatically start without you pressing anything

:)

Berch
25-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Mmm thanks i didnt know that F8 was a option on startup. And im not sure i have a drive called 'FACTORY_IMAGE' that i cant open, i think thats the recovery.

Yeah if you can do what the guy said above and it will automatically come up and have on screen instructions to recover your PC.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!