PDA

View Full Version : SMS to website..

Colin-Roberts
25-03-2009, 09:00 PM
I know you can send messages to sms on twitter and facebook. Is there a way to take the messages from twitter and through a script post them in your sites news category. If anyone could point me in the direction of the twitter code library's or anything like that..

Yes I'm aware theres the html/flash widget from twitter themselves.. But I'm looking for a more detailed info feed.

Trinity
25-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Couldn't you just grab it from the .xml feed? http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/15445241.xml

Dentafrice
27-03-2009, 01:03 AM
It would be limited to 140 characters though..

But what you could do, is create an account "colinnews", and follow it with your account (the one setup with the device updates..) and have "colinnews" follow your account.

Then on your mobile, send "d colinnews messageeeeeeeeeee". That will send a direct message to colinnews (and you're the only one that can send it to it, cause you're the only one it's following).

Then create a simple PHP script to routinely scan the Twitter account's direct messages, and when it finds a new one.. do what you want to with it's data, then delete the direct message.

Just have a cron job that checks every little bit.

Source
27-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Or you could look at acutally use an SMS gateway to recieve texts, I know this isn't exactly on the right topic but it may help others search for SMS to web.

I use a service in the UK called kapow (http://www.kapow.co.uk/prices.html) but you can see its not cheap. To recieve text's you need to pay £25 for a new number, then £10 a month to cover costs.

What I would do if you want to use twitter, is, use your own account and post things with a #tag in. So you would text your account "New thing here up to 140 chars #colinnews", then use the API to get #colinnews based tweets. You would then make sure the php script only accepted news from a whitelist of people and if they are whitelisted you would go about adding it to the database (as long as its not a duplicate).

Protege
27-03-2009, 11:34 AM
The whole idea sounds stupid and pointless. No offence but I doubt it be used. 140 Chars isnt a lot.

eg:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Praesent at velit sit amet risus hendrerit pharetra. Nullam purus lectus, fringilla

Colin-Roberts
30-03-2009, 11:09 AM
140 characters is enough to update the end viewer about the site, when you can't get to a computer

Blob
01-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Expanding above:

on your first text enter how many parts there is (e.g 4 if you use 544 char) then the number of the part eg 1 then your message and do that for every text so

4 1 hello
4 2 hi

Then make a script that parses this together then once it's got all the max parts it moves onto the next thing

You could expand it by in the first part have your title then a ; eg

4 1 hello; news here

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!