PDA

View Full Version : This section.. [continued]

Dentafrice
28-03-2009, 03:51 PM
I honestly don't think that thread should have been closed, but we were continuing to discuss the new site we are making related to D&D.

So we'll continue that here, as it is on topic, and has nothing to do with the thread in feedback.

This is about 56errors.

---------

We hopefully have some good news of a vB license that a member of this community is willing to donate/share with us for this purpose.

We also have the domain and server ready, so the DNS has already propagated to the server for all users, saves us time when we get ready.

----------

Does anyone have any ideas/continuation of the discussion of this new site?

RyanDOT
28-03-2009, 04:05 PM
If i wasn't using my vBulletin license then i would of shared it with you. As i said in the other thread. Good luck

Jaysun
28-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, in the other thread I think someone said they couldn't donate the license the last time that I saw it. If you can't get a vBulletin license maybe you can code a forum, you have the skills to.

EDIT: He already posted above I think.

Dentafrice
28-03-2009, 04:16 PM
We have the vB license now :) Thanks to "Lillian'. Old school member who was willing to help us out with this ordeal.

Creating our own forum software would yes, be possible, but would also take quite a bit of time to get it the way we wanted it.

We're pleased with using vB as a forum, and we're hoping to get it up and running shortly.

That way we can begin our discussions on there sooner! :)

Source
28-03-2009, 04:33 PM
There are multiple cases of moderators doing a bad job, hense why people are finally realising a forum thriving with habbo people is not a good place to be.

I'm hoping that the great contributors of this forum will indeed move over when we have it setup, as we will treat you correctly.

Dentafrice
28-03-2009, 04:40 PM
We're not trying to say we're going to be better then Habbox, because we're two different sites, focused on two different things.

We're saying that we're going to be heavily focused on Design & Development (coding), which in turn, would make our forum have a significant advantage over the D&D of Habbox.

MrPinkPanther
28-03-2009, 04:43 PM
No offence but it will likely fail just like all the other numerous attempts at making one have. The reason D&D is so popular is largely because of Habbo fansites, create a new forum and I honestly think that it will be largely dead. I also think that the Habbox Forum moderators are doing a pretty good job and can't see any reason why an alternative forum is needed.

My two cents on the matter.

RyanDOT
28-03-2009, 04:44 PM
We're not trying to say we're going to be better then Habbox, because we're two different sites, focused on two different things.

We're saying that we're going to be heavily focused on Design & Development (coding), which in turn, would make our forum have a significant advantage over the D&D of Habbox.

Agreed, i'm sure to join your forum when it's released to the public.

kk.
28-03-2009, 04:52 PM
whats the name youre thing of?

sounds like a good idea. Just make sure you have a really nice skin made or make your own forum, that would be one way of attracting people. Id most likely join

Trinity
28-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I was starting to like Vanilla :(
Any idea of a release date yet?

Jaysun
28-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Well, I'm very glad you have the vB license and everything seems to be running smoothly.

@FlyDuo: I don't think it will fail, but I kind of do see where your coming from. I think that it'll have a very successful first month or so but then they're going to have to do some advertising for new members.

Dentafrice
28-03-2009, 04:57 PM
No offence but it will likely fail just like all the other numerous attempts at making one have. The reason D&D is so popular is largely because of Habbo fansites, create a new forum and I honestly think that it will be largely dead. I also think that the Habbox Forum moderators are doing a pretty good job and can't see any reason why an alternative forum is needed.

My two cents on the matter.

Well if you really analyze the situation that the D&D section of this forum is in, you'll notice why we are attempting to and "specialize" into our own forum.

We have some ideas, and it's worth a shot :)

whats the name youre thing of?

sounds like a good idea. Just make sure you have a really nice skin made or make your own forum, that would be one way of attracting people. Id most likely join

56errors

(56ers) is the "inside joke" for the community.. but we combined it with errors, as to the outsider.. 56ers would mean nothing.

56errors sounds like a programming site/development site in general anyway.

I was starting to like Vanilla :(
Any idea of a release date yet?

I'll let you know, you're special <3

MrPinkPanther
28-03-2009, 04:57 PM
@FlyDuo: I don't think it will fail, but I kind of do see where your coming from. I think that it'll have a very successful first month or so but then they're going to have to do some advertising for new members.
Its been done I'd say atleast once a year by some "respected" member. It always fails. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you were involved with an attempt once caleb?

Dentafrice
28-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Its been done I'd say atleast once a year by some "respected" member. It always fails. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you were involved with an attempt once caleb?
I was involved with OpinionsFTW, but the basis behind that was outrageously stupid.

I was also one of the members behind SayDev, but that had a different idea behind it from what I remember.

We're hoping to give this a shot, and hopefully it will work.

kk.
28-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Well if you really analyze the situation that the D&D section of this forum is in, you'll notice why we are attempting to and "specialize" into our own forum.

We have some ideas, and it's worth a shot :)

56errors

(56ers) is the "inside joke" for the community.. but we combined it with errors, as to the outsider.. 56ers would mean nothing.

56errors sounds like a programming site/development site in general anyway.

clever :P

Dentafrice
28-03-2009, 05:02 PM
clever :P
I think Matt (Source) came up with it :)

Source
28-03-2009, 05:02 PM
I think it will get to the stage of me making a custom theme, issue with that is the time it takes when I have other projects in the making. I will get one done though, if anyone wants to give a hand in terms of skinning then that would be great.

MrPinkPanther
28-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I was involved with OpinionsFTW, but the basis behind that was outrageously stupid.

I was also one of the members behind SayDev, but that had a different idea behind it from what I remember.

We're hoping to give this a shot, and hopefully it will work.
I'm sorry to put a dampner on this but I honestly dont think it will work. Both SayDev and OpinionsFTW were designed as alternatives to this forum and both failed, as have numerous others.

Dentafrice
28-03-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm sorry to put a dampner on this but I honestly dont think it will work. Both SayDev and OpinionsFTW were designed as alternatives to this forum and both failed, as have numerous others.
1. OpinionsFTW was organized during a time, when the entire forum was mad at Habbox for a simple reason, the reputation change.

2. SayDev never got off the ground in the first place, due to the people who were behind it, zeJosh, and a few other people, and we never dedicated enough time to it. (We didn't even get this far on that project).

Thanks for your opinion, but we think it will work.

HabbDance
28-03-2009, 05:56 PM
I think it's a good idea... and I think it would be quite popular. And if you don't get the 56 thing look at the link in your search bar ;)

Excellent2
28-03-2009, 07:15 PM
I doubt it's going to work, I really do. This forum is far too popular for the users to just switch over for an alternative. This forum offers active users who will give an answer quite quickly. You'd need a lot of users to be active on your forum to keep it afloat, this will be hard.

The main idea of your forum is to offer an alternative to this section? The only problem is if people went to your forum, they'd be insulted and made to be idiots as you quite clearly admit, Denta.

I'm not trying to create an argument but just pointing out things I think will make it unsuccessful. It's worth a shot but it's like me trying to compete with WHT.

Trinity
28-03-2009, 07:20 PM

I know I am <3

I doubt it's going to work, I really do. This forum is far too popular for the users to just switch over for an alternative. This forum offers active users who will give an answer quite quickly. You'd need a lot of users to be active on your forum to keep it afloat, this will be hard.

The main idea of your forum is to offer an alternative to this section? The only problem is if people went to your forum, they'd be insulted and made to be idiots as you quite clearly admit, Denta.

I'm not trying to create an argument but just pointing out things I think will make it unsuccessful. It's worth a shot but it's like me trying to compete with WHT.

The users won't just be coming from this section though.

Blob
28-03-2009, 07:58 PM
As long as there isn't people who think they are 1337, it will be quite good.

Dentafrice
28-03-2009, 08:00 PM

So just because it's a project not supported by Invent or Greg, it's going to fail?

And if people "went to my forum", they would not be insulted and or "made to be idiots", unless they were the type of people that come from the Habbo section, into this D&D.

Source
28-03-2009, 08:02 PM

As much as I appreciate the points raised, it feels as though you are always going to be critical due to the relationship between you, myself and dentafrice.

At the end of the day, we are trying to raise the bar of web/development discussion. Currently this forum provides no insights into new ways of working and often talks about basic things. We want to create a community where intresting projects can be discussed without flaming, etc...

Jamesy
28-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I think it will get to the stage of me making a custom theme, issue with that is the time it takes when I have other projects in the making. I will get one done though, if anyone wants to give a hand in terms of skinning then that would be great.

I've skinned a few forums. Terrified of joining the "big boys" though :O:D

redtom
28-03-2009, 08:13 PM
the majority of the past attempts have failed partly because they were rushed to get started or no one gave them enough time and it seems this try is being rushed, don’t get me wrong I’m all for it but it really does seem that your trying to rush it and it most likely will fail if you carry on like this.

as many people have said I also think you should create your own forum software it’s not really as hard as people make it out to be, I have created my own in the past, yeah it wasn’t the greatest going but it worked all the same and if you do create your own then in the future if the site does really take off you won’t have to think about this then, and if it fails you've got something you could always sell, the benefits of you creating your own and much more than using a vB, you could very easily add new features and fully integrate it into a site.

I think you should also think about other features not just a place to chat and get help because there are much bigger communities which do that and you won’t really have anything over the current habbox D&D section, maybe a place where people could release their own designs or systems for free where other members of the community could get them, not just a section on a forum but a full system for this, you could do a weekly podcast or something on the web and D&D contain news or tips 'n' tricks, I don't know but what I’m getting at is you'll need something more than just a forum to get people interested and to use this new community over communities they already use.

Anyway just make sure you don't rush to open the site to the public, make sure its 100% finished and ready to go first.

Source
28-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Well currently due to the lack of time (as making a complete forum skin takes a very long time to get every element done) we are looking for a nice base theme which I can then go in and customise alot of the elements.

If anyone has any suggestions, we would be grateful.

ref redtom: Do you know how much work goes into making a fast, clean, easy forum system. Its not just a basic forum system you have to worry about.

[Oli]
28-03-2009, 08:18 PM
I'd be happy to see this project start and grow.. or fail :P i cant predict the future but I will be sure to join and try to help support it.

I dont reply much on here anymore, let alone make topics.. though I do visit daily just to read the topics and see whats going on since this section is pretty much the only section i've been active on, on this forum.

x Oli

Protege
28-03-2009, 08:19 PM
careful guis!!!

DAT REVIEWGIT WILL KILLZ U ALLZ!!

Yeah, i think 56 will totally work. We're going to firstly buy a theme and then Source can work on it and make it sexy, and hardcore.

Can you plz not arg..
WOPZ I DIDNT MEAN TO SAY DAT SORRY REVIEWDUDE SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY
**** IM SORRY FORGIVEMEPLEASEEEE

Dentafrice
28-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Plus, if the forum decides to grow.. our own code is not going to be as efficient as a popular forum such as vBulletin, and the scaling modifications you can add to vBulletin, and other popular forums are endless.

Scaling our own code takes time. If this was a full time project, that occupied all of our time, then I see your point.

But we all have lives, jobs, and other projects.. and this is a part time thing.

We're making a community that is improved from the community here, that we can facilitate this community.. to our needs.

We already have a little group of people behind us, which is good, because they see the ideas upon which we are starting this on.

If we can get that group, the next time someone asks them for help, they can easily direct them here.. and so on.

Once we get a few people from Habbox, we can try from other forums, as well as using things like Twitter to get things going.

We can easily scan twitter for popular development tags and questions, and possibly direct them to a solution on our forum, ever increasing the WOM popularity of the forum.

There's been more planning to this in my head then you think, just give it time, and give us a chance.. and I'm sure we'll impress you, or at least change your mind in the least bit.

J0SH
28-03-2009, 08:42 PM
This new forum is going to be a string of success just like OpinionsFTW ;)

Excellent2
28-03-2009, 08:43 PM
So just because it's a project not supported by Invent or Greg, it's going to fail?

And if people "went to my forum", they would not be insulted and or "made to be idiots", unless they were the type of people that come from the Habbo section, into this D&D.It doesn't matter who it is, I'm just giving my personal opinion.

If you don't really want users to join that are from a habbo background, why post here? You could have just PM'ed the few users who don't really use habbo to inform them.

I will however wish you goodluck.

And Source: It doesn't matter who it is, you and denta are both great at web development so thats all I'm concerned about.

Dentafrice
28-03-2009, 08:50 PM
This new forum is going to be a string of success just like OpinionsFTW ;)

Yes, OpinionsFTW was very successful the first month, gaining quite a bit of users.

It doesn't matter who it is, I'm just giving my personal opinion.

If you don't really want users to join that are from a habbo background, why post here? You could have just PM'ed the few users who don't really use habbo to inform them.

I will however wish you goodluck.

And Source: It doesn't matter who it is, you and denta are both great at web development so thats all I'm concerned about.

We're not worrying about users that are from a Habbo background, most of us are from a Habbo background. I am.

We're wanting the users that are generally interested in D&D, learning, expanding their knowledge, etc.

Not the users that visit the D&D just to argue that they are right, when we tell them that their "best mates" design and or coding is horrible.

That is what we want to escape, and we feel that users who are actually interested in D&D will enjoy our environment more then HxF's D&D section's environment.

Excellent2
28-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Yes, OpinionsFTW was very successful the first month, gaining quite a bit of users.

We're not worrying about users that are from a Habbo background, most of us are from a Habbo background. I am.

We're wanting the users that are generally interested in D&D, learning, expanding their knowledge, etc.

Not the users that visit the D&D just to argue that they are right, when we tell them that their "best mates" design and or coding is horrible.

That is what we want to escape, and we feel that users who are actually interested in D&D will enjoy our environment more then HxF's D&D section's environment.Seems like the idea is good but you will need to spend heaps of time marketing it. A good few of the users from here will sign up and then become unactive about a week later, this is because habbox offers activeness and an already established community.

Dentafrice
28-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Seems like the idea is good but you will need to spend heaps of time marketing it. A good few of the users from here will sign up and then become unactive about a week later, this is because habbox offers activeness and an already established community.
WOM advertising is a key-point in a forum like this, and I'll be coming up with a strategy in the coming days.

Habbox does offer an active and established community, but you have to realize, those who are actually interested in D&D aren't on Habbox for the "Habbo" activeness in general.

The D&D section on this forum is really dying, and a lot of the members are migrating away from this section, and the forum in general.. because of this section being so bad.

I've had numerous e-mails and PM(s) from older members, chatting, saying they miss the way this section used to be, and would return to a similar setting/environment.

That's what I believe will get this up and running.

Excellent2
28-03-2009, 10:19 PM
WOM advertising is a key-point in a forum like this, and I'll be coming up with a strategy in the coming days.

Habbox does offer an active and established community, but you have to realize, those who are actually interested in D&D aren't on Habbox for the "Habbo" activeness in general.

The D&D section on this forum is really dying, and a lot of the members are migrating away from this section, and the forum in general.. because of this section being so bad.

I've had numerous e-mails and PM(s) from older members, chatting, saying they miss the way this section used to be, and would return to a similar setting/environment.

That's what I believe will get this up and running.I have to disagree with you here. I don't think this forum is dying, I think what it needs is a total rehaul.

Mods who know what they are doing.
More projects being produced.
Less arguments.
More constructive criticism instead of general bullying.

MrPinkPanther
28-03-2009, 10:23 PM

That's what I believe will get this up and running.
People will always leave and more will always join, its just natural. I personally think the D&D section is a hell of a lot better than it used to be. People always say it was the best in 04/05, fact is, it wasnt. It was full of people who bigged themselves up and complained about everyones designs. D&D has been more constructive in the last half a year than it has ever been.

Dentafrice
28-03-2009, 10:29 PM
I have to disagree with you here. I don't think this forum is dying, I think what it needs is a total rehaul.

Mods who know what they are doing.
More projects being produced.
Less arguments.
More constructive criticism instead of general bullying.

People will always leave and more will always join, its just natural. I personally think the D&D section is a hell of a lot better than it used to be. People always say it was the best in 04/05, fact is, it wasnt. It was full of people who bigged themselves up and complained about everyones designs. D&D has been more constructive in the last half a year than it has ever been.

Nothing constructive is coming out of the forum though.

There aren't those structured members there anymore that actually know what they are doing, and are willing to help.

We have those "newbie" designers that attempt to help people, but we don't have those really good designers.. that can actually provide helpful and constructive criticism anymore.

People like [Oli], redtom, and the other members that used to help.

There used to be constructive projects coming out of the forum too, TehUpload was just one project that originated here, along with quite a few I remember.

Nothing good is coming out of this forum anymore, which is why we need an overhaul.

We're not going to get good mods, that's the end of the story there, it's proven.

Excellent2
28-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Thing is Habbox should listen to what we have to say. The D&D section is a big part of this forum and we have useless mods moderating it. There are a lot of decent designers left on here, granted, they don't have the experience of someone like Oli, redtom or Awfy but they are showing signs of progressing. What we need to do is nurture and embrace these sorts of people just as others have with me. People like Source and Awfy have helped me a great deal with my designing. If we just had patience and a more positive attitude toward these people, they could be the 'new generation' of this section.

Edit: Also, creating a new forum will just kill the D&D section all together.

MrPinkPanther
28-03-2009, 10:44 PM
We have those "newbie" designers that attempt to help people, but we don't have those really good designers.. that can actually provide helpful and constructive criticism anymore.
You don't have to be an expert designer to give good C&C on a design, thats a stupid thing to say. Your average person using the wsite isnt going to be a webdesigner so I would say an average person is maybe even better. Its like saying you cant review a movie because you cant make one as good yourself.

There used to be constructive projects coming out of the forum too, TehUpload was just one project that originated here, along with quite a few I remember.

Nothing good is coming out of this forum anymore, which is why we need an overhaul.
What a cynical thing to say, many members develop projects, sometimes just in private. Why would them being on your forum make them more likely to create projects, I really dont get your point?

We're not going to get good mods, that's the end of the story there, it's proven.
They seem to be doing a pretty good job to me. Leaving us to get on with what we want but closing threads that get out of hand.

blanky12!
28-03-2009, 10:47 PM
If you want, I can do some off site SEO for free for you.

If you are interested, let me know when to start.

Dentafrice
28-03-2009, 10:53 PM
You don't have to be an expert designer to give good C&C on a design, thats a stupid thing to say. Your average person using the wsite isnt going to be a webdesigner so I would say an average person is maybe even better. Its like saying you cant review a movie because you cant make one as good yourself.

What a cynical thing to say, many members develop projects, sometimes just in private. Why would them being on your forum make them more likely to create projects, I really dont get your point?

They seem to be doing a pretty good job to me. Leaving us to get on with what we want but closing threads that get out of hand.

The average person using a design and a development website is either going to be a programmer, or a designer, or someone interested in some form of designing.. not just coming in to "help their friend defend their design".

You don't seem to get it, private projects have nothing to do with this.

I'm talking about public projects, community projects, there used to be tons of projects being updated and talked about on here.

It's not like that anymore, we have one.. maybe two projects come out a year!

I'm not going to keep explaining it at the moment.

Invent
28-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Blame moderators for this section sucking all you like, but I'm afraid it's the community's fault and so just moving it to a new domain won't help it.

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Blame moderators for this section sucking all you like, but I'm afraid it's the community's fault and so just moving it to a new domain won't help it.
You seemed to have tried it a while ago? Or was that a mistake you learned from?

Because it seemed back in Nov. you were planning on starting Devode back.

Joshh
29-03-2009, 12:02 AM

If only top contributors and great staff go there then it will help.

Invent
29-03-2009, 12:08 AM
You seemed to have tried it a while ago? Or was that a mistake you learned from?

Because it seemed back in Nov. you were planning on starting Devode back.

It's something I learnt obviously. Move the community to a new place and sure, it'll probably be active for a few weeks but then it'll just become the same place as it is on here now.

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 12:13 AM
But you also have to combine that with you being busier, and less active as time went on, although Oli stayed on, it's hard for one person to maintain a thriving and striving forum.

Invent
29-03-2009, 12:17 AM
I just think there is more benefit trting to improve the community on this forum instead of trying to drag everyone somewhere else.

Blob
29-03-2009, 12:55 AM
Maybe if you don't scare people away the minute they post they will stay and awaken forum #56?

Protege
29-03-2009, 08:50 AM
I just think there is more benefit trting to improve the community on this forum instead of trying to drag everyone somewhere else.

No there isn't, because you've got your staff status back you're backing this? Dude, its time most of 56 moved to another forum anyway, Most of us post projects that are not even related to Habbo, for example you and Awfy post about YouMeo, hows that anything to do with Habbo

Let the Habbo guys, the people who make their fansites using some CMS come here and boast about how they can use BBCode and Wordart on Word.

The time has come for the people of 56 to move to a more of a dedicated design and development area where the people moderating are the community mainly. The community chooses the faite of the offending not a moderator. (Thats if we where to keep the "voteban" type system)

D&D doesnt even have the resources here to substain all areas of coding, They have syntax for 3-4 languages? Over the time D&D has been here, they havent installed a bigger syntax highlighter? With 56, we listen to the community, well we're the community, we listen, we know what people want and we do something about it.

****, i feel like obama, WE NEED CHANGE.

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 01:06 PM
No there isn't, because you've got your staff status back you're backing this? Dude, its time most of 56 moved to another forum anyway, Most of us post projects that are not even related to Habbo, for example you and Awfy post about YouMeo, hows that anything to do with Habbo

Let the Habbo guys, the people who make their fansites using some CMS come here and boast about how they can use BBCode and Wordart on Word.

The time has come for the people of 56 to move to a more of a dedicated design and development area where the people moderating are the community mainly. The community chooses the faite of the offending not a moderator. (Thats if we where to keep the "voteban" type system)

D&D doesnt even have the resources here to substain all areas of coding, They have syntax for 3-4 languages? Over the time D&D has been here, they havent installed a bigger syntax highlighter? With 56, we listen to the community, well we're the community, we listen, we know what people want and we do something about it.

I really have to agree with that.

We've outgrown this section, it's that simple. When we started here, the D&D section was perfect for our needs.. because most of us were at the same level.

We're not saying "everyone has to leave Habbox!", we're just expanding ourselves to bigger and better things.. I'll probably still visit Habbox, just not the D&D section as much.

We're the administration, and developers ourselves, so we know how to listen better then the administration of Habbox does when it comes to this, because they're not developers.

RichardKnox
29-03-2009, 01:48 PM
The thing is, you can say about trying to make D&D better and trying to get more knowledgable users visitng etc, but the problem is that no matter how 'independent' the D&D comes from Habbox, it's still on habboxforum.com domain and then the more "professional" people wouldn't be impressed that it's on a domain that was originally started to focus on Habbo. So it's really a lot easier to try and move over the more knowledgeable users from Habbox over to a new domain where we can attempt to gain more members who do this on a day in, day out basis as paid professionals in their chosen field than it would be to gain these people on habboxforum.com

However, what needs to happen is that when we move over onto 56errors we can't just sit back and assume that things will get better, because they won't. I'd rather be in a forum with 100 users even if 90% weren't knowledgeable than a forum with 10 users where 100% where if you get what I mean. So when 56errors officially opens the management need to constantly drive to get new users and the good thing about forums is that their is generally the snowball effect in that users will join a forum when they see it is already well populated by others.

Invent
29-03-2009, 01:50 PM

Just want to point out I'm not staff - it's just a glitch :P. Also, I don't know why you're talking about habbo as this section has never been used just for habbo sites.

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Just want to point out I'm not staff - it's just a glitch :P. Also, I don't know why you're talking about habbo as this section has never been used just for habbo sites.
It's hardly used for anything other then fansite help nowdays.

Nothing good ever comes out of it anymore, and it's being runover with "habboers" giving awful advice.

kk.
29-03-2009, 01:59 PM
does 'ers' get put on the end of everything nowadays? :P

Source
29-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Even if we end up with just a small community, for me personally, it would be better. I would much rather get opinions from a small community of people I know we be giving realistic critisism rather than what often ends up as bias critisism on these forums.

Agnostic Bear
29-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Even if we end up with just a small community, for me personally, it would be better. I would much rather get opinions from a small community of people I know we be giving realistic critisism rather than what often ends up as bias critisism on these forums.

No it wouldn't it'd just be Caleb and Protege being nice and friendly for a few days, maybe even a week then they'd turn into what they are on here: People trying to justify being horrible to others by saying "it's what needs to be done", no it's not, they don't give constructive criticism, especially not Protege.

Joshh
29-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Mhmm, if some of the people that visit it have the same attitude there as the same attitude they have here - it's just going to be a remake of the D&D forum on here. That's one thing I don't understand about this forum (or this section) why people are allways trying to tear each other down.

MrPinkPanther
29-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Mhmm, if some of the people that visit it have the same attitude there as the same attitude they have here - it's just going to be a remake of the D&D forum on here. That's one thing I don't understand about this forum (or this section) why people are allways trying to tear each other down.
Agreed. Its the people starting this new forum that seem to be the ones causing the problems.

Source
29-03-2009, 05:10 PM
I myself, rarely cause issues. I have always given constructive feedback (where applicable), but I would not dare post any of my own projects up because of its like asking a bunch of sheep. I'm not calling people sheep, but it feels that when one person says something negative/flaming other people jump on board because they enjoy to argue. (Like sheep stay in groups)

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 06:27 PM
I tear people apart because that's the way I am. Rude or not, a hefty majority of the time it's the downright truth, yet if you're not acting like a **** or show a spark of actually being interested in something.. I'm an extremely nice guy.

Jamesy
29-03-2009, 06:29 PM
I tear people apart because that's the way I am. Rude or not, a hefty majority of the time it's the downright truth, yet if you're not acting like a **** or show a spark of actually being interested in something.. I'm an extremely nice guy.

That may be true, but protege....

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 06:37 PM
That may be true, but protege....
He's his own person ^_^.

Jamesy
29-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Well his own person is sarcastic and unhelpful quite often :P

Joshh
29-03-2009, 07:17 PM
I myself, rarely cause issues. I have always given constructive feedback (where applicable), but I would not dare post any of my own projects up because of its like asking a bunch of sheep. I'm not calling people sheep, but it feels that when one person says something negative/flaming other people jump on board because they enjoy to argue. (Like sheep stay in groups)

From what I have seen so far mate, you're one of the most helpful members when it comes to giving constructive criticism. In my opinion - there is constructivie criticism and there is just plain criticism - criticism is where you give criticism but don't tell them on how to improve, constructive criticism is the opposite - most members of this forum (not all) decide to give just plain criticism.

Yes I agree with what someone said, the people making this forum are actually part of the problem however they are actually some of the most advanced people of the forum with alot of knowledge however have a very big ego. At Jamesy, I'm sure we all know that but it isn't Dentafrice's fault.

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 07:26 PM
From what I have seen so far mate, you're one of the most helpful members when it comes to giving constructive criticism. In my opinion - there is constructivie criticism and there is just plain criticism - criticism is where you give criticism but don't tell them on how to improve, constructive criticism is the opposite - most members of this forum (not all) decide to give just plain criticism.

Yes I agree with what someone said, the people making this forum are actually part of the problem however they are actually some of the most advanced people of the forum with alot of knowledge however have a very big ego. At Jamesy, I'm sure we all know that but it isn't Dentafrice's fault.
I give constructive criticism, but it's hidden in the way I word it.
If I tell you exactly what to do, to make it better, you'll never have to think on your own, and you'll never develop the logic required in this field.

Like the other day, the user putting his functions in his config file, I told him that was absolutely stupid, they don't go there.

Now I could tell him, "make a functions file, define them there, then include it into your config file", and that would be easy enough.. and he'd go about his business..

but, what did he learn? Nothing other then next time maybe put them in a functions file.

If I told him it was stupid, and functions don't go there.. that gets him thinking.. where could I put these functions, a better place, and a way to clean up my configuration file a bit... hey! a file with all my functions in it.. that I just include in the config file!

He used logic, and his brain, to find a solution instead of me just telling him.

That's why I use that kind of harshness, it gets people thinking.. it's turned Matt (Source) into a great programmer.

blanky12!
29-03-2009, 07:32 PM
I still don't like the fact that people are ignoring me... I'm trying to offer help on trying to expand it's index, links, hits and traffic from Google, MSN, Yahoo... etc... I'm not that botehred I just want to know if I cna or not.

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Sorry, haven't meant to. I'll contact you closer to the time when we open :).

blanky12!
29-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Sorry, haven't meant to. I'll contact you closer to the time when we open :).
Yes OK, that is fine, thats all i wanted to know...

Thank you.

Joshh
29-03-2009, 07:53 PM
I give constructive criticism, but it's hidden in the way I word it.
If I tell you exactly what to do, to make it better, you'll never have to think on your own, and you'll never develop the logic required in this field.

Like the other day, the user putting his functions in his config file, I told him that was absolutely stupid, they don't go there.

Now I could tell him, "make a functions file, define them there, then include it into your config file", and that would be easy enough.. and he'd go about his business..

but, what did he learn? Nothing other then next time maybe put them in a functions file.

If I told him it was stupid, and functions don't go there.. that gets him thinking.. where could I put these functions, a better place, and a way to clean up my configuration file a bit... hey! a file with all my functions in it.. that I just include in the config file!

He used logic, and his brain, to find a solution instead of me just telling him.

That's why I use that kind of harshness, it gets people thinking.. it's turned Matt (Source) into a great programmer.

That's fair enough, from what I've seen you're a great coder with TehUpload and stuff (I think) even if it is your personality it's the way you word things which comes accross to other people as being rude, then you have your other mates with big ego's backing you up and these other people are thinking not so nice stuff about you but don't have the guts to say it to you because they know the whole forum will turn on them because they like to suck up to these ego people as in my experinece is what happens here and other forums and in real life aswell.

I'm not pointing this directly at you as you deffinately shouldn't take all the blame, that would be completely unfair (I know what goes on here because I had an account here since 2006 but it's been so long I can't even remember the name, I only rejoined again in 2008 but have had different accounts, quit and rejoined in 2009) but yeah this forum has deffinately fell apart, shame people can't be mature and have to try and act like they own the place when clearly they are nothing but an ordinary member like the rest of us.

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 07:56 PM
That's fair enough, from what I've seen you're a great coder with TehUpload and stuff (I think) even if it is your personality it's the way you word things which comes accross to other people as being rude, then you have your other mates with big ego's backing you up and these other people are thinking not so nice stuff about you but don't have the guts to say it to you because they know the whole forum will turn on them because they like to suck up to these ego people as in my experinece is what happens here and other forums and in real life aswell.

I'm not pointing this directly at you as you deffinately shouldn't take all the blame, that would be completely unfair (I know what goes on here because I had an account here since 2006 but it's been so long I can't even remember the name, I only rejoined again in 2008 but have had different accounts, quit and rejoined in 2009) but yeah this forum has deffinately fell apart, shame people can't be mature and have to try and act like they own the place when clearly they are nothing but an ordinary member like the rest of us.
I don't ask them to back me up, I'd rather someone grow some balls and stand up to me, then sit back and let me be rude to them.

It shows me they are willing to defend their project, and their work. I respect them for that.

Fehm
29-03-2009, 08:28 PM
I don't ask them to back me up, I'd rather someone grow some balls and stand up to me, then sit back and let me be rude to them.

It shows me they are willing to defend their project, and their work. I respect them for that.

To be honest, if you wernt as harsh as what you are sometimes then no one would learn anything!

Im proper looking forward to this new site, i may only be a beginner but i guess it'll help me alot :) tehe Good luck!

Joshh
29-03-2009, 08:28 PM

I see it from both point of views, your mates want to back you up yet if you was that one person with let's say four people flaming them, do you really stand a chance, which makes the four people look like total *****s, let's be honest.

You seem a nice guy though, it's just the way you put yourself accross to people. *Removed*

Edited by ReviewDude (Forum Moderator): Please do not post in order to provoke arguments, or attack other forum members.

Source
29-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Me and Caleb are trying to populate the site with some handy tutorials, that we feel will help people make better applications (web/desktop).

http://www.tehupload.com/uploads/app-339669551472875069.png

We're trying to cover all aspects of development, rather than just coding and design.

Excellent2
29-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Problem with this section is there is a few of people out growing it. I've seen a lot of people who used to be active on her, not be active no more. People like Invent! because of his work.

People arent posting projects and things because they get treaten like little children if they defend it.

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Problem with this section is there is a few of people out growing it. I've seen a lot of people who used to be active on her, not be active no more. People like Invent! because of his work.

People arent posting projects and things because they get treaten like little children if they defend it.
Then they shouldn't act like little children when they post it, and they should take the advice of people who know better then them.. without arguing like crazy.

Excellent2
29-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Then they shouldn't act like little children when they post it.But what do you expect from a fansite aimed at Habbo? If I went and brought the domain HabboFoLyphe.com I wouldn't expect 18 year olds to post all that often.

I think what you're doing is disrespecting this forum by trying to get members from here to move over.

Joshh
29-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Lol I got a private message warning me for saying Dentafrice is a nice guy and Protege isnt - that's an opinion. Man the rules are strict here, all I did is state my opinion o.O

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 08:52 PM
But what do you expect from a fansite aimed at Habbo? If I went and brought the domain HabboFoLyphe.com I wouldn't expect 18 year olds to post all that often.

I think what you're doing is disrespecting this forum by trying to get members from here to move over.
The thing is, we're not talking about wanting 18 year olds to post. I know 12 year olds that act better then 90% of the people that post in the D&D forum.

Well I'm sorry you feel that I am disrespecting this forum, but to be honest.. we're not trying to get members of this forum to move to our forum (and leave this forum).

We're providing an alternate section for those users of the D&D section to go to, it's their choice to leave the forum altogether.

Lol I got a private message warning me for saying Dentafrice is a nice guy and Protege isnt - that's an opinion. Man the rules are strict here, all I did is state my opinion o.O

Bet I know who it was.

Excellent2
29-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Lol I got a private message warning me for saying Dentafrice is a nice guy and Protege isnt - that's an opinion. Man the rules are strict here, all I did is state my opinion o.OFrom who?

Edit: But Denta, look at the history of the D&D section.. you're just going to take members away from it.

Joshh
29-03-2009, 08:53 PM
From who?

ReviewDude I beleive his name is.

Dentafrice
From who?

Edit: But Denta, look at the history of the D&D section.. you're just going to take members away from it.
probably ReviewDude.

Source
ReviewDude unfortuantly takes things too seriously, ive already had this conversation with him in a PM - he's more concerned about dishing out warning than sorting out threads etc. But thats a personal opinion.

Excellent, we're not disrespecting this forum at all. We are saying that some people (the older ones) have out grown this section (the habbo sites, things like how to disable right click on your site). We are trying to offer a more mature alternative.

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 08:55 PM
From who?

Then if members leave this forum, it's their choice. We're going to try and create a more specialized and controlled environment dedicated to D&D, rather then it just be a section on a forum dedicated to Habbo.

That's a benefit to those users who are truly interested and dedicated to D&D.

Joshh
29-03-2009, 08:57 PM
ReviewDude unfortuantly takes things too seriously, ive already had this conversation with him in a PM - he's more concerned about dishing out warning than sorting out threads etc. But thats a personal opinion.

Excellent, we're not disrespecting this forum at all. We are saying that some people (the older ones) have out grown this section (the habbo sites, things like how to disable right click on your site). We are trying to offer a more mature alternative.

Mmm, I beleive he is more concerned about getting the job than actually sorting out the forum.

anyways, I wish you luck with the forum - i'll check it out when open. I'm sure it will be good...

Excellent2
29-03-2009, 09:00 PM

Excellent, we're not disrespecting this forum at all. We are saying that some people (the older ones) have out grown this section (the habbo sites, things like how to disable right click on your site). We are trying to offer a more mature alternative.Yeah I'm tired of him to be honest. He's already infracted me for something pointless.

So why don't you just target the true developers on here instead of everyone else too?

Then if members leave this forum, it's their choice. We're going to try and create a more specialized and controlled environment dedicated to D&D, rather then it just be a section on a forum dedicated to Habbo.

That's a benefit to those users who are truly interested and dedicated to D&D.Above.

kk.
29-03-2009, 09:03 PM
oh dont worry, i got something like that but was for 'pointless posting' for saying 'we needed this thread because...' in another thread which was about them getting paid..

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Yeah I'm tired of him to be honest. He's already infracted me for something pointless.

So why don't you just target the true developers on here instead of everyone else too?

Above.
We're targeting the true developers, as well as the users that wish to migrate their D&D needs to a more specialized forum for that.

Joshh
29-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Mm, I'm sure next we'll all be infracted for flaming him and the thread will be closed.

Edit: Oh erm, ontopic yeah i'll be joining the forum when it's open..

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Mm, I'm sure next we'll all be infracted for flaming him and the thread will be closed.

Edit: Oh erm, ontopic yeah i'll be joining the forum when it's open..
Haha, who cares to be honest. It just proves that we aren't allowed an opinion anymore because it may or may not "start an argument".

It seems that anything that is possibly controversial or has the potential to make someone start an argument is infraction worthy.

----------

The forum is going pretty good right now, we're trying to fill it up with content at the moment.

If anyone would like to write some tutorials, and help fill it with content, please Private Message me.

The only thing left really is the skin..

blanky12!
29-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Haha, who cares to be honest. It just proves that we aren't allowed an opinion anymore because it may or may not "start an argument".

It seems that anything that is possibly controversial or has the potential to make someone start an argument is infraction worthy.

----------

The forum is going pretty good right now, we're trying to fill it up with content at the moment.

If anyone would like to write some tutorials, and help fill it with content, please Private Message me.

when will this be done?

Protege
29-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Welcome to the NEW D&D, revived since BST-3days.

I'll populate some of the categories on 56 when I sort of wake up 8-)

Also, sorry Josh that you feel I'm not nice a nice guy, its just I'm a girl (sorry im taken) not a guy. ****.. we cant joke anymore on here **** SORRY. Anyway, Josh I offer my friendship with deep sorrow to making you feel that i wasnt nice, Im a poof inside, ask Denta..

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 09:16 PM
when will this be done?
We're not sure exactly when the skin will be done, a lot of us are really busy with projects and real-life at the moment, and the skin is the hardest part.

Joshh
29-03-2009, 09:17 PM

----------

I'll try help out, can it be div/css + php coding or just php?

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 09:18 PM
I'll try help out, can it be div/css + php coding or just php?
PHP
Design
Linux
Windows
CSS
HTML/xHTML

Joshh
29-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Welcome to the NEW D&D, revived since BST-3days.

I'll populate some of the categories on 56 when I sort of wake up 8-)

Also, sorry Josh that you feel I'm not nice a nice guy, its just I'm a girl (sorry im taken) not a guy. ****.. we cant joke anymore on here **** SORRY. Anyway, Josh I offer my friendship with deep sorrow to making you feel that i wasnt nice, Im a poof inside, ask Denta..

I don't really know wether to take that as sarcasm but maybe I did judge you too quickly I'm just basing it from what I've seen but I'd be happy to try get on with you if that's what you want if it was sarcasm then well I'm not really fussed eithier. :)

MrPinkPanther
29-03-2009, 09:21 PM
What a ******.

Ok, I take it all back caleb, you're right. I still think the forum will fail but no harm in trying, ill join.

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 09:23 PM
What a ******.

Ok, I take it all back caleb, you're right. I still think the forum will fail but no harm in trying, ill join.
Thanks for your support :) There's no harm in trying.

It would be nice of you if you could, if you have any free time, help out with some simple actionscript tutorials :) I'm sure people would appreciate that when we open.

Protege
29-03-2009, 09:24 PM
KK REVIEW IS HERE EVERYONE HIDE BEHIND THE SOFAS AND RIGHT IN UR DIARIES( LIKE THE JEWS DID)

I will probably write something about Windows versions verses each other, XP, Vista, 7 etc. And then move onto comparing against Linux and Macs

MrPinkPanther
29-03-2009, 09:26 PM
*REMOVED*

Edited by Yoshimitsui (Forum Administrator): Please do not be rude an insult other members.

Joshh
29-03-2009, 09:26 PM
KK REVIEW IS HERE EVERYONE HIDE BEHIND THE SOFAS AND RIGHT IN UR DIARIES( LIKE THE JEWS DID)

I will probably write something about Windows versions verses each other, XP, Vista, 7 etc. And then move onto comparing against Linux and Macs

Mmm, I'm gunna go before he infracts me. :(

Good luck with the project - it sounds really good so far. I'll try and write a few tutorials and PM to you denta.

Oops FlyDuo, you're going to get raped for that.

MrPinkPanther
29-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Thats harsh and unfunny. Why be such a ****?

Joshh
29-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Thats harsh and unfunny. Why be such a ****?

I'm sure it was just a joke mate - people have different sence of humours now you're just swearing to cause arguments, no need. :)

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Yup, sure. I'll maybe provide some free resources too.

Reviewdude is a little ****.

Lets spread a little love in D&D <3

Awesome :) That would be great, just let me know.

Source
29-03-2009, 09:33 PM
I have to agree that the joke protege made was crude and unnecessary. Anyway, do we have anyone that wants to help create tutorials etc for the forum?

MrPinkPanther
29-03-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm sure it was just a joke mate - people have different sence of humours now you're just swearing to cause arguments, no need. :)
No Im really not. I just dont find 6 million people being systematically murdered tasteful or funny.

Ill help to create some tutorials :)

Joshh
29-03-2009, 09:36 PM
I have to agree that the joke protege made was crude and unnecessary. Anyway, do we have anyone that wants to help create tutorials etc for the forum?

Mhmm but like I said people have different sence of humours, but yeah I'd be happy to help but I really must go now - I'll PM some tutorials to Denta when I get some free time.

EDIT: I also agree with you FlyDuo but he's allowed his own opinion like we've been saying although he didn't have to say it like that.

RE-EDIT: I keep saying HE is Protege actually a girl or was they being sarcastic?

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 09:37 PM
No Im really not. I just dont find 6 million people being systematically murdered tasteful or funny.

Ill help to create some tutorials :)
11 million total during the holocaust actually, if you include the poles ;P

----

PM me, and I'll set you up an account on the forum :)

Yoshimitsui
29-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Despite how much you are going to moan about this being unfair and that the threads are being closed for no reason you have once again proved that you cannot have a civilised conversation without insulting one another and making ridiculous remarks.

A moderator acted to cool down the situation (yet again) and was then hurled abuse at from that point forward turning the thread into a pointless scramble of this that and the other.

If you can't talk appropriately then you will dealt with continually.

Thread closed.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!