PDA

View Full Version : Earthbird - Multiple file hosting & sharing site.

jackass
28-03-2009, 09:35 PM
A while back I started a basic project on an image uploading site called imgload (www.imgload.co.uk). But a few weeks later I scraped it. There are too many image hosting sites out there anyway, and I really wasn't that interested in the project.

But now I am making a new site called Earthbird (yes, there is a good reason for that name), and it will be a multiple file hosting site, hosting pretty much any file (for example .gif, .mp3, .avi, .rar - you get the picture). I have already started working on the site and I have many ideas for it and I am excited on working on it over the next few weeks. For now, there is no set date for when it will be publically released.

I'm also hiring a couple of volunteers to help around the site for things such as coding and design, although i'll do the majority.

www.earthbird.net
www.earthbird.co.uk

Thanks. :)

Kieran
29-03-2009, 09:56 AM
And whats the reason for the name? :)

Dentafrice
29-03-2009, 01:17 PM
I think you should have tried to get a name with a .com, but good luck :)

jackass
29-03-2009, 02:23 PM
And whats the reason for the name? :)

Earth because everyone around the world can upload there files onto it and share it country to country etc. and bird because its awesome (plus birds can fly and migrate, like someone uploading a file in one country, and someone else downloading it in a different one). ;)

I think you should have tried to get a name with a .com, but good luck :)

I know, I was spending ages thinking of a decent name with all main domains available. :(

But i'm happy with this and i'll try and buy .com if the guy doesn't renew it when it finishes.

And thanks! :)

RyanDOT
29-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Good luck in your site. ForumBuddy is selling cheap advertising space from 35p if you want to promote your site that way.

It be hard to compete with Rapidshare, also it be great if it was fast uploading speed.

jackass
29-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Good luck in your site. ForumBuddy is selling cheap advertising space from 35p if you want to promote your site that way.

It be hard to compete with Rapidshare, also it be great if it was fast uploading speed.

I'm not setting my targets as high as Rapidshare or Megaupload just yet. :P

But yeah, I'll give you a call if I need any advertising, thanks! :)

Excellent2
29-03-2009, 10:48 PM
I'll probably use this when it opens. Goodluck dude :)

Protege
29-03-2009, 10:59 PM
I love the explanations but I would consider the bird being higher than anyone else on earth, so [you're uploading, im tired] your upload site being the highest - if you get what i mean 8-)

Good luck man.

maiden2k7
29-03-2009, 11:05 PM
I like the idea but whats stopping viruses and stuff getting uploaded?

Myth
29-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Nice good luck with your site.

Stefy09
30-03-2009, 12:15 AM

Check out rapidshare etc, people can easily upload viruses to them :P

Dentafrice
30-03-2009, 12:30 AM
What I don't get though, is how is someone going to connect Earthbird, to uploading?

Rapidshare
Megaupload
EasyShare
TinyPic
PhotoBucket

Earthbird.

I just don't see a connection :P

jackass
30-03-2009, 04:07 PM
I'll probably use this when it opens. Goodluck dude :)

Awesome! Thanks buddy! :)

I love the explanations but I would consider the bird being higher than anyone else on earth, so [you're uploading, im tired] your upload site being the highest - if you get what i mean 8-)

Good luck man.

Not really sure what you're on about, but thanks! :P

Nothing, big sites such as Rapidshare and Megaupload get virus's uploaded to them all the time, but we're thinking of a reliable solution to this problem.

Nice good luck with your site.

Thanks! :)

What I don't get though, is how is someone going to connect Earthbird, to uploading?

Rapidshare
Megaupload
EasyShare
TinyPic
PhotoBucket

Earthbird.

I just don't see a connection :P

I do see what you mean, but think about sites like these...

Google - Search engine, but if someone didn't know what it was, then they would have no idea.
Spotify - Music player, but the name doesn't exactly give any hints.

There is a connection, it's just not very obvious. ;)

paul4wolves
01-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Theres a kid at my school making the exact same thing, Weird if you ask me. Look good though!

Kusur
02-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I wish you the best of luck, as you will need it. An uploader is harder than you may think, due to the facvt you need to code security for files, etc. If that makes sense to you.

Protege
03-04-2009, 04:55 AM
I wouldnt expect much security on a _sharing_ website for files as the main reason to upload is to share isnt it?!

jackass
03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Theres a kid at my school making the exact same thing, Weird if you ask me. Look good though!

Shut up Paul. :P

I wish you the best of luck, as you will need it. An uploader is harder than you may think, due to the facvt you need to code security for files, etc. If that makes sense to you.

I've made a fully functional uploader in the past, so I already know how to make them, so it's not harder than I think. :P

But yeah, thanks buddy! :)

Dentafrice
03-04-2009, 11:14 AM
I wouldnt expect much security on a _sharing_ website for files as the main reason to upload is to share isnt it?!

Shut up Paul. :P

I've made a fully functional uploader in the past, so I already know how to make them, so it's not harder than I think. :P

But yeah, thanks buddy! :)

You learn things everyday, like I had an attack on TehUpload the other day, that I never would have thought would happen. There's more security to it then you think.

Blob
03-04-2009, 12:41 PM
md5 hash every file to check if you get duplicates

jackass
03-04-2009, 03:01 PM
You learn things everyday, like I had an attack on TehUpload the other day, that I never would have thought would happen. There's more security to it then you think.

Well yeah, there will obviously be new flaws all the time, I just meant about making a basic uploader.

It'll check the size, name, dimensions (if it's for images) and frame rates etc. for duplicates. ;)

Dentafrice
03-04-2009, 07:49 PM
But if it's going to be based around user's files, instead of just a public uploader.. duplicates aren't going to matter. Files are files, and files belong to the user.

jackass
04-04-2009, 11:57 AM
But if it's going to be based around user's files, instead of just a public uploader.. duplicates aren't going to matter. Files are files, and files belong to the user.

They're won't be accounts with albums etc. yet - but there will be eventually, no doubt about it.

Dentafrice
04-04-2009, 12:32 PM
They're won't be accounts with albums etc. yet - but there will be eventually, no doubt about it.
But if you're uploading more then images, there shouldn't be 'albums', but 'folders'.

If you're going to incorporate that, there's no use in checking for duplicates.. and linking users to duplicates.

jackass
04-04-2009, 01:05 PM
But if you're uploading more then images, there shouldn't be 'albums', but 'folders'.

If you're going to incorporate that, there's no use in checking for duplicates.. and linking users to duplicates.

Hence the etc. ;)

But yeah, I see what you mean, but if it does get popular, then space and bandwidth may pose a problem until I go to a bigger package or host.

Dentafrice
04-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Hence the etc. ;)

But yeah, I see what you mean, but if it does get popular, then space and bandwidth may pose a problem until I go to a bigger package or host.
Honestly, hosting images and audio doesn't take that much. My VPS package handles TehUpload pretty well.

50,259 files on TehUpload and I only use 30.42 GB of HDD and about 400GB BW.

jackass
04-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Honestly, hosting images and audio doesn't take that much. My VPS package handles TehUpload pretty well.

50,259 files on TehUpload and I only use 30.42 GB of HDD and about 400GB BW.

That's actually pretty good!

But TehUpload doesn't host video (as far as I know?) Obviously i'll put a limit on, but it'll have to still be quite generous, because decent quality videos normally take up a lot.

Dentafrice
04-04-2009, 01:57 PM
That's actually pretty good!

But TehUpload doesn't host video (as far as I know?) Obviously i'll put a limit on, but it'll have to still be quite generous, because decent quality videos normally take up a lot.
No, it doesn't.

I really don't see a point in hosting video, you're going to waste your ass out in bandwidth and space with hosting video. That's one of the major factors that will take you down.

It's really too much hassle then it is worth.

jackass
04-04-2009, 03:06 PM
No, it doesn't.

I really don't see a point in hosting video, you're going to waste your ass out in bandwidth and space with hosting video. That's one of the major factors that will take you down.

It's really too much hassle then it is worth.

I'll see how it goes during the beta, and i'll change bits and bobs afterwards. :8

jackass
05-04-2009, 12:56 PM
I did loads of work on it last night, and i'll be doing some more for most of today, so it's getting along well.

Should be open in beta for next week (if all goes well!)

Thanks guys!

Awfy
05-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I do see what you mean, but think about sites like these...

Google - Search engine, but if someone didn't know what it was, then they would have no idea.
Spotify - Music player, but the name doesn't exactly give any hints.

There is a connection, it's just not very obvious. ;)
Google is a misspelling of Googol which was originally used to refer to the amount of results Google returned.

Spotify is a combination of "spot" and "identify" as they allow you to spot and identify your favourite music you've forgotten about.

EarthBird on the other hand seems to be a name you coined and then came up with a background story to make it sound alright. Personally I would of preferred if you just said "It's just random".

Good luck with it though :)

jackass
05-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Google is a misspelling of Googol which was originally used to refer to the amount of results Google returned.

Spotify is a combination of "spot" and "identify" as they allow you to spot and identify your favourite music you've forgotten about.

EarthBird on the other hand seems to be a name you coined and then came up with a background story to make it sound alright. Personally I would of preferred if you just said "It's just random".

Good luck with it though :)

You have completely contradicted yourself there! :P

Spotfiy, exactly, it means two words, with have an outside connection to music. Earthbird is the same.

And I know Google is for Googol, but in all fairness, not many people know that anyway, so it's irrelevant. ;)

But yeah, thanks! :)

Awfy
05-04-2009, 05:32 PM
I didn't contradict myself in anyway. I said they both have meanings to their names which don't sound like an after thought. EarthBird on the other hand does sound like an after thought.

jackass
05-04-2009, 05:37 PM
I didn't contradict myself in anyway. I said they both have meanings to their names which don't sound like an after thought. EarthBird on the other hand does sound like an after thought.

It may sound like it - but it isn't. ;)

hamheyelliot
06-04-2009, 06:46 PM
I think the previous statement of the 'Earth' being the global aspect, 'being able to share anything globally' and the 'Bird' sort of migrating your files over these places;
Is a pretty good way to explain the name, surely?

jackass
06-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I think the previous statement of the 'Earth' being the global aspect, 'being able to share anything globally' and the 'Bird' sort of migrating your files over these places;
Is a pretty good way to explain the name, surely?

Explained it better than me. :P

Progress has been pretty decent today, just a couple of roadblocks, but they are fairly easy to get past. :)

Wouter
06-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Seems to be going well, any previews of the layout? ;)

Joshh
06-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Earthbird reminds me of a browser like,

Earthbird
Firefox

jackass
06-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Seems to be going well, any previews of the layout? ;)

It's so basic, no previews are needed really. ;)

Basic in a good way.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!