PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero or Rock Band?

Kardan
28-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Well, I tried the demo for Guitar Hero: Metallica today, and decided it was awful - a lot like Guitar Hero World Tour, and as usual, my friend decided to disagree :)

He reckons that the Guitar Hero series is much better than the Rock Band series; where as I think the opposite, so I was wondering what everyone else thinks a few months later...

Personally, the Rock Band Series is much, much better. First off is the User Interface on the actual screen when playing through songs. Rock Band uses one life meter for all four players along one edge of the screen which is quite easy to see and follow, a quick glance and you can see how everyone is doing and the band as a whole.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/Kardan-habbo/rbstarpower.png

Guitar Hero on the other hand each player has their own separate life meter, which is pretty handy for yourself. But whilst playing as a band, and you need to know whether or not to activate star power to save your band mates - you have to look all over the screen for 4 separate life meters and then a 5th one for the whole band overall. Very time consuming and makes you a lot more likely to break your note streak whilst you look over the screen.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/Kardan-habbo/ghlife.png

Another thing about the interface is the star power meter. For Rock Band, each player has their own meter and gains it independently and can be activated independently. Its location right under the player's chart also means it can be viewed quickly and easily.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/Kardan-habbo/rbstarpower.png

On Guitar Hero however, all your star power goes into one overall meter, meaning if you get the star power, another player can easily activate it for them and you miss out. It also means that if you're a drummer and someone steals the star power just before you activate, the game will take it that you hit the wrong drums - therefore breaking your streak, when instead, you wanted to activate star power. The Guitar Hero system is a lot more complicated, plus you have to look in the top left corner to see how much star power there is - and even then it doesn't tell you if there's enough to activate - unlike Rock Band which makes the glow bar when enough star power has been accumulated.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/Kardan-habbo/ghstarpower.png

Then of course, there's the songs. Personally I found that GH:WT didn't have a wide selection of songs, and most were rather boring and long to play on Expert Guitar. Plus with the Guitar Hero series you can't transfer your songs from game to game. Rock Band allows you to do this, and has much more downloadable content than Guitar Hero meaning Rock Band currently has a library of 600 songs.

Of course, Guitar Hero does have its advantages - the drum controller is said to better than Rock Band's, and I'm rather eager to see this for myself, but there's been reported problems with the cymbals... Then there's the custom track creation menu in GH:WT. Personally I find this really overcomplicated, and the majority of sons just sound like the crap ringtones you get, but there are some good songs out there, sadly let down by the lack of vocals.

Overall, I'm pretty sad for going into so much detail, right?

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/rock-band-2-screenshot.jpg
http://www.scorehero.com/ImaCarrot/GHMImages/X360/Guitar%20Hero%20Metallica%20-%20%27Fight%20Fire%20with%20Fire%27.jpg

Nemo
28-03-2009, 10:28 PM
i prefer rock band by far

Josh-H
28-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Rock Band by far, the note charts are so much more fun.
I still think GH3 was the best game solely for guitar though, but as a package RB/RB2 trump ghwt/gh3

Juch
29-03-2009, 07:51 PM
I prefer the style and overall appearance of Rock Band plus the DLC is so much better

btw how/where did you play the GH:M demo?

ElliottThompson
29-03-2009, 10:52 PM
I prefer the style and overall appearance of Rock Band plus the DLC is so much better

btw how/where did you play the GH:M demo?
XBL marketplace most probs

Also i love guitar hero personally
Baring in mind that I only play the guitar its a much more sold game for me, and im all for how customizable GH:WT is, plus I think the band animations are by far better. Also the user made tracks on guitar hero that you can upload to GH Tunes are awsome (the pokemon themetune is an almost exact replica :D) The one other thing that made me go for GH:WT is the fact that it is the original franchise that ive grown to know and love since GH1
As I hate to leave an debate biased, I really like the larger guitar given in rock band and the earn while you burn feature too!

Four
29-03-2009, 10:53 PM
fifa 09

Edited by Garion (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly, thanks :).

Myth
29-03-2009, 11:00 PM
I'd say Guitar Hero is the best.

Stitch
30-03-2009, 05:13 PM
I prefer Rock Band because of the amount of songs avaliable and I find it much more fun to play than GHWT.

Josh-H
30-03-2009, 05:33 PM
XBL marketplace most probs

Also i love guitar hero personally
Baring in mind that I only play the guitar its a much more sold game for me, and im all for how customizable GH:WT is, plus I think the band animations are by far better. Also the user made tracks on guitar hero that you can upload to GH Tunes are awsome (the pokemon themetune is an almost exact replica :D) The one other thing that made me go for GH:WT is the fact that it is the original franchise that ive grown to know and love since GH1
As I hate to leave an debate biased, I really like the larger guitar given in rock band and the earn while you burn feature too!

You do realise the people who made GH1&GH2 now make Rock Band?
Neversoft (Tony Hawk's creators) now make guitar hero games...

The Undertaker
30-03-2009, 07:30 PM
I prefer Guitar Hero although RB does have some awesome DLC.

Havoline
30-03-2009, 07:52 PM
I personally prefer guitar hero but like them both :).

Juelz
30-03-2009, 09:22 PM
guitar hero

ElliottThompson
31-03-2009, 09:32 AM
You do realise the people who made GH1&GH2 now make Rock Band?
Neversoft (Tony Hawk's creators) now make guitar hero games...
Im talking about the styles used, the feel of the game

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!