PDA

View Full Version : 56errors

Dentafrice
30-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Well apparently since I'm allowed to create this, and would like to continue the discussion without "arguing", I will.

Like I said on the last thread, we're working on filling the forum up with tutorials, resources, etc.. so that it isn't dead when we first open.

Me, Matt, and James have been writing tutorials. Me, James on PHP and Matt on Linux (which are some really handy articles).

Someone else offered to maybe write an iPhone/iPod Touch developing tutorial on Objective-C, etc.

Would anyone else be willing to write some tutorials on HTML, CSS, PHP, or anything technical in general?

----------

Also continue your discussion of 56errors here.

Jaysun
30-03-2009, 12:56 AM
I was wondering why the threads were getting closed. I guess I could try and write some CSS and HTML articles. Or I could do a quick one on setting up a workspace on your mac.

Dentafrice
30-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Workspace? What do you mean.

Jaysun
30-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Well something like a work environment. Such as setting up your own server on your mac and the tools you should look into getting to start developing on a Mac.

Trinity
30-03-2009, 01:42 AM
A brief guide to IDEs and stuff could prove useful for beginners, like recommended tools, libraries, websites etc.

Blob
30-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Ill do all to do with USB, e.g: booting from usb, various dos versions, putting operating systems on your memory stick, etc.

And some php if need be.

and some ipod touch tutorials if u wish

Protege
30-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Ive extended on one of Calebs tuturials and done a fireworks tut.

HabbDance
30-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I can try HTML/CSS?

Protege
30-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Theres no one sayng you cant when its up :)

blanky12!
30-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Yeah.... Can I have an ETA to whenever your brining it online........ Also You're going to get a lot of traffic, lot of posts which is good.

Dentafrice
30-03-2009, 09:08 PM
We're trying to fill it up with content, so that we aren't "dead" when we open officially to the public.

We're also trying to get a little tight-knit community down pat before we open also, that way we're not falling flat on our faces.

Protege
30-03-2009, 09:10 PM
What does that mean Caleb, for a idiot like me, explain.

Judge Judy
30-03-2009, 09:17 PM
What I think he is saying is that the forum will first be like exclusive and invitational (correct me if I'm wrong xD)

Anyway I don't post in this forum often but I do browse. Anyway I'd like to say good luck to this.

Dentafrice
30-03-2009, 09:20 PM
What does that mean Caleb, for a idiot like me, explain.

Well like we're doing now, with lettings those few users in to write the tutorials, help with the content, etc.

That's sort of a small community for when we open.

What I think he is saying is that the forum will first be like exclusive and invitational (correct me if I'm wrong xD)

Anyway I don't post in this forum often but I do browse. Anyway I'd like to say good luck to this.

Thanks! :)

Nli.
30-03-2009, 09:25 PM
I don't think I've posted in one of these many threads about this site.
But I like the idea of this, although I've saw a few of these sites fail. I don't think this one will fail because your actually planning it out your not opening it half finished.

I'll be sure to sign up when it's open anyway good luck with it.

N!ck
30-03-2009, 09:42 PM
It seems like a good idea. I hope you get the active userbase needed to keep it alive. I'll be registering if/when you open registrations.

Dentafrice
30-03-2009, 09:43 PM
It seems like a good idea. I hope you get the active userbase needed to keep it alive. I'll be registering if/when you open registrations.
Thank you :) Support from people like you is what we need to get going.

redtom
30-03-2009, 09:44 PM
I could do x/HTML and CSS tutorials, I'll have to see if I get much free time.

Dentafrice
30-03-2009, 09:50 PM
I could do x/HTML and CSS tutorials, I'll have to see if I get much free time.
Okay :) Just drop me a PM if you get some time.

Kieran
01-04-2009, 07:40 AM
With it being half term now and having a new macbook I have a lot of time on my hands. I'd love to do some xHTML and CSS tutorials and possibly if I get a lot of time some Photoshop tutorials :)

Skajo
01-04-2009, 02:23 PM
It'll fail.

Like the thousands before you.

Kieran
01-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I think you're wrong about it failing...
Dentafrice isn't a little kid who suddenly gets ideas, he plans them out. This can be seen already from the fact that he is making sure there is content when he opens the site. As well as this, he is a very capable coder himself and so able to write many tutorials.

Source
01-04-2009, 03:11 PM
It'll fail.

Like the thousands before you.

It will if we get members who don't give constructive critisism (like your post was slightly). We are already filling up with lots of tutorials, I myself have already written:

Effective DDoS(DoS) protection using software on linux
Setting up ubuntu 8.04+ for video encoding (and the php to go with it)
Building custom kernels to support 1000FPS srcds (stable)
How to create a shell script to install source games for 1000fps

I'll be adding a few more, including some javascript tutorials of how to create a notification system using prototype and jquery.

Hopefully by that you can see we are trying to really help the community, and bring people to a higher level of understanding.

Skajo
01-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Unless you have solid financial backing - which in today's economic climate is becoming increasingly hard to find - it'll fail.

I'll direct you all to this thread in 6 months and you'll tell me that I was right.

SayDev, anyone?

Source
01-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Financial backing? This is going to be a small community of intelligent developers where everyone will be respected equally. Hosting a forum does not cost much, plus SayDev was never off its feet in the first place, due to idiotic team members.

I think we've grasped the point you don't like the idea. Now can we only talk about the actual forum rather than whether its going to fail or not, it won't.

redtom
01-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Unless you have solid financial backing - which in today's economic climate is becoming increasingly hard to find - it'll fail.

I'll direct you all to this thread in 6 months and you'll tell me that I was right.

SayDev, anyone?

Seriously go away, you’re not helping anyone, financial backing? It’s not really breaking the bank paying for a domain name and web space now is it? If you not going to say anything helpful then just don’t post, simple.

Skajo
01-04-2009, 03:41 PM
I think if this is not going to fail, you need to grasp the idea behind what a forum is for - thus, not dismissing my input towards this 'idea'.

It's been tried, tried and tried again. Unless you have a fresh approach and no-one under the age of 16/17 working on the site then it might... might not fail. I'm not knocking it, I'm just saying I've 'overseen' things here for a **** long time and I know how things end up.

I still think it will though, but it gives you all experience and **** like that so it's all good.

Source
01-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Both myself and caleb are over 18, and we both have good knowledge of development. I didn't dismiss your input, I just said that there is no need to go on about it as it puts a downer to the thread. If you don't want to support it, then great - your not forced to sign up.

The administration team here are not doing anything to help improve this section, even though issues have been raised and posted in the correct places.

MrPinkPanther
01-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Both myself and caleb are over 18, and we both have good knowledge of development. I didn't dismiss your input, I just said that there is no need to go on about it as it puts a downer to the thread. If you don't want to support it, then great - your not forced to sign up.

The administration team here are not doing anything to help improve this section, even though issues have been raised and posted in the correct places.
Saying things like that really doesn't make your new forum look very professional. You complain at him for bashing your forum and then in the same post you do exactly the same to Habbox. Surely thats a bit hypocritical?

Skajo
01-04-2009, 04:42 PM
This section has always been terrible. Fact.

Source
01-04-2009, 04:51 PM
FlyDuo, it wasn't bashing him at all. You just wanted to read is as though it was in a bashing tone, it was friendly and not meant to be unprofessional at all. I hope you don't read my posts like that, it really isn't implied in that way.

Blob
01-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Can I still do usb?

And mod the USB forums - if you have some

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!