PDA

View Full Version : GCSE Options

Mr-Trainor
01-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Yes, I'm only in year 9 and I've got to fill in my options form. I have to pick 3 subjects, 1 from each of the boxes displayed below:

BLOCK A

Buisness Studies
French
German
Geography
History
Option Studies
Leisure and Tourism (SA)

BLOCK B

Art and Design
Buisness Studies
French
German
Geography
PE

BLOCK C

Art and Design
Music
PE
Seperate Science
Tech Graphics
Tech Resistant Materials
Tech ICT (SA)
Tech Engineering (SA)
Tech Food
Performing Arts/Drama
History

*(reccomendations)

What I'm thinking of choosing:
(A) Buisness Studies
(B) Geography
(C) Tech Engineering (SA)
(R1) German
(R2) Tech Graphics

A/B/C = block
R = Reserve

What do you think about my choices? :)
(Form must be handed in tomorrow)

Toughened
01-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I do two subjects out of the four you're considering taking, which is Georgraphy and Graphics.

Geography is a good all round subject I suppose. It depends what area you prefer to study but the problem with this that you have to study both parts. See I hate the physical side and would much prefer just to focus on the human side as this relates to what I want to be when I'm older. If you only prefer one then be prepared to be bored 50% of the course but if you like both then it should be a good choice. The coursework is quite a lot but is quite easy if you have the right teacher(s) to help you.

Graphics I would like to advise you on, but my idiotic school placed me not in a GCSE Graphics course, but a BTEC Art and Design course. How smart. However if the course you would be taking is anything like the BTEC Art and Design please do not take it. It is ridiculous. 100% coursework which is the only positive thing about it is that you can get all the work done in the classroom.

Good luck with whatever you decide though!

iArch
01-04-2009, 05:50 PM
I do geography and a language french

Geography - Im predicted an A-A* and im not the brightest crayon in the packet tbh. It's an easy subject to get good grades in if you put the effort in and actually work. If you like geography this is also a bonus.

Language - A language is a big MUST nowadays to get into them big universities (Oxford, Cambridge ect) as they like multi lingual people for some reason I do not know. I'm not too great at French and predicted C-D Grade. Mainly because Im not very good at clasping languages and I don't put effort into my c/w I translate.

My mate does Business Studies

Apparentley its quite good, they watch dragons den and stuff but there is a hell of a load of work to do / coursework and I mean lots. My mate had to do an hour shopping trip at tescos and see what they would refund. It gets boring apparentley but if thats what u want then good luck.

Thanks

I appriciate REP

CHA!NGANG
01-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Personally I'd do:

History - I did it at GCSE, best subject I did. Very intresting and a great subject.
Geography - Best out of the lot really. Can be quite easy and decent.
Tech Graphics/Resistant Materials -Very intresting and good.

I did all 3 at GCSE And I am doing History and Design Technology at A Level.

JACKTARD
01-04-2009, 06:15 PM
i dont like the fact im a year older than u and your like 2 promotions up from me lol :D

i took history and geography

simple at my school;...

choose any 2

each has a trip for coursework and a trip abroad for fun

Fubt
01-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Do Buisness, French & That tech ICT.

Paddy has spoke.

Mr-Trainor
01-04-2009, 06:44 PM
I do two subjects out of the four you're considering taking, which is Georgraphy and Graphics.

Geography is a good all round subject I suppose. It depends what area you prefer to study but the problem with this that you have to study both parts. See I hate the physical side and would much prefer just to focus on the human side as this relates to what I want to be when I'm older. If you only prefer one then be prepared to be bored 50% of the course but if you like both then it should be a good choice. The coursework is quite a lot but is quite easy if you have the right teacher(s) to help you.

Graphics I would like to advise you on, but my idiotic school placed me not in a GCSE Graphics course, but a BTEC Art and Design course. How smart. However if the course you would be taking is anything like the BTEC Art and Design please do not take it. It is ridiculous. 100% coursework which is the only positive thing about it is that you can get all the work done in the classroom.

Good luck with whatever you decide though!

My tech teacher wont let me do graphics, he said I must do engineering, lol. And he explained parts of the course to me today and how alot of engineering has graphics in it anyway.
Thanks for the info,

I do geography and a language french

Geography - Im predicted an A-A* and im not the brightest crayon in the packet tbh. It's an easy subject to get good grades in if you put the effort in and actually work. If you like geography this is also a bonus.

Language - A language is a big MUST nowadays to get into them big universities (Oxford, Cambridge ect) as they like multi lingual people for some reason I do not know. I'm not too great at French and predicted C-D Grade. Mainly because Im not very good at clasping languages and I don't put effort into my c/w I translate.

My mate does Business Studies

Apparentley its quite good, they watch dragons den and stuff but there is a hell of a load of work to do / coursework and I mean lots. My mate had to do an hour shopping trip at tescos and see what they would refund. It gets boring apparentley but if thats what u want then good luck.

Thanks

I appriciate REP

Geography or lanuages... I wonder ;l - i think ill do geo and put german as reserve... but I'm good at both of them and been reccomended for both, so idk lol.

Personally I'd do:

History - I did it at GCSE, best subject I did. Very intresting and a great subject.
Geography - Best out of the lot really. Can be quite easy and decent.
Tech Graphics/Resistant Materials -Very intresting and good.

I did all 3 at GCSE And I am doing History and Design Technology at A Level.

I won't do history or the bottom 2 but may do geography.
Thanks for posting,

i dont like the fact im a year older than u and your like 2 promotions up from me lol :D

i took history and geography

simple at my school;...

choose any 2

each has a trip for coursework and a trip abroad for fun

Lol and kk. Ty for info as well,

Do Buisness, French & That tech ICT.

Paddy has spoke.

No Paddy, I've been reccomended for ICT as well but im not doing ICT or French - thanks for posting

+rep to everyone apart from arch who asked for rep (jking archi :))

I need to choose 2 subjects from:
-german
-geography
-buisness studies

CHA!NGANG
01-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Economics is quite easy this year, and Bussiness studies is basically the same thing so I'd go for that and geography.

Mr-Trainor
01-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Economics is quite easy this year, and Bussiness studies is basically the same thing so I'd go for that and geography.

Thanksfor posting, +rep possible

And btw I chose buisness studies and german and put geography as a reserve :)

Edit: can't give rep to rbbs or cha!ngang as I need to spread

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!