PDA

View Full Version : Top Set For Maths & Science (year 11)

redtom
01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm just wonder what grades people in set one for maths and science at other school are predicted, at our school I'm in set one for maths and science and I think I'll be lucky to get a C in both, doing foundation in 1 or 2 of the science papers, and only about 4 people in my maths class are predicted an A, I'm guessing our school is pretty rubbish as I think most other schools set ones are aiming for A's and B's, am I right?

fweggy
01-04-2009, 10:19 PM
depends what school, im in top set for them and im expected to get A* but im doing higher tier

Nixt
01-04-2009, 10:21 PM
I was in top set for both, and I was predicted A in both. I received a B in Maths (it was one of my weakest subjects) and I achieved the two As in Science (it was double award).

kk.
01-04-2009, 10:23 PM
I think i was predicted A in maths and AA in science and came out with A A* in maths and AA in science. Hope this helps

redtom
01-04-2009, 10:25 PM
just checking I thought my school was pretty crap, thanks =]

Kieeran
01-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Everyones giving really good examples ;o

I was in top sets for everything since 'sets' started in year 1 then in year 11 i got dropped to set 2 for science i was shocked tbh but in gcses i only got d in maths & EE in science :@ but its dumb because it dont reflect on my capabilities

kk.
01-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I will give you a few good ways of improving. :)

get your hands on as many past papers as possible. A lot of the questions turn up more than once just with numbers changed or a different example.

also, buy a revision guide and annotate them into notes. copy these notes into smaller notes and sticky pads and stick them in your room on to somrthing you look at daily like a mirror.

hope it helps

DieselShaq
01-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Everybody in my top set in Maths was predicted to get A* for Mathematics (we did IGCSE Mathematics in Year 10) and we all did. Now doing AS level in Year 11 and we're all predicted to get As for all three modules we're doing this year (C1, C2 and S1).

As for science, we don't have sets depending on ability.

N!ck
01-04-2009, 10:45 PM
In my Science it was C and above for top set and my NMaths was B and above ( a couple of C's probably as well.

clarissa !!
01-04-2009, 10:56 PM
we had two sets for science, i was lower set and predicted BB, and got BB.
bottom set maths predicted B, got C

Nemo
01-04-2009, 10:57 PM
A/A* in maths. Dont know bout science

Jord
02-04-2009, 02:56 AM
Second highest for maths and top for science

DieselShaq
02-04-2009, 08:07 AM
To be honest with you, it doesn't really matter what set you're in 'cause you should always aim for the A*. But if you don't feel comfortable in the top set 'cause you have pressure from everybody expecting A* from you, perhaps you can ask to go to set two where the expectations aren't as high.

clueless
02-04-2009, 11:25 AM
im in top sets in both

science im predicted a double A i think, its changed, last year it was a double a* ive got worse aha
ive already got one A last year and im i got an A* in the first science module this year

and maths everyone in my class are predicted As and A*s
not neccesarily a good thing as they pile the pressure on

IceNineKills
02-04-2009, 01:41 PM
i bet most people here have just lied about their grades.

DieselShaq
02-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I don't need to lie about my A* in IGCSE Mathematics. It's nothing.

clarissa !!
02-04-2009, 02:10 PM
what would be the point

kk.
02-04-2009, 04:03 PM

and what would be the point in lying.. i can prove it if u want me too :/

Kardan
02-04-2009, 04:09 PM
I was in top set for both. Our Maths group took the GCSE early, I was predicted A* but only got an A, and for Science I do Triple Science (if you wanted just a top set Science group, then sorry) and I'm predicted A* for all three, but I'm currently at an A* for Biology and Chemistry and an A for Physics with 25% of the exam left to sit.

clueless
05-04-2009, 02:15 PM
why would people lie LOL :S

redtom
05-04-2009, 07:49 PM
To be honest with you, it doesn't really matter what set you're in 'cause you should always aim for the A*. But if you don't feel comfortable in the top set 'cause you have pressure from everybody expecting A* from you, perhaps you can ask to go to set two where the expectations aren't as high.

I feel fine with it most people in my set are predicted the same, we can all do it when we try but we just don't really bother doing anything in class which is proberly a bad idea as exams are in a 2 months.

Technologic
06-04-2009, 08:30 PM
im set 3 (out of 6) maths and predicted a* :l. also, doing seperate sciences so no sets for that, only combined have sets

Havoline
06-04-2009, 08:35 PM
I was in top set for maths and everyone was predicted A* with only 4 people not getting it (all As)

Charlottay!
07-04-2009, 10:59 AM
my school set 1 maths is all doing C1 this yr. we all took r GCSE maths twice. once in yr 10m once at beginning of yr11. we have all achieved above a B. now were doing C1 but only half can be bothered. those that are properly gonna take the exam are expected to get a grade C+

Grig
09-04-2009, 05:16 PM
When I did GCSE all those years back. Everyone in top set got predicted and I think got an A*. I was in 4th set and everyone got predicted As here. So you know it's all different. But I would view a school's top set strange if people were predicted **, because when I was in school that came all the way down to 6th set. Now you may by now think I may of gone to a freak school and I must agree lol.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!