PDA

View Full Version : How do dolphins and whales sleep because they cant breath underwater???

paul4wolves
02-04-2009, 04:42 PM
This has comfused me because when they sleep how do they get any air??
DAMN, the 'you' is meant to be 'they' in the title, sorry.

jackass
02-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Scientists have studied this phenomenon in dolphins, using electroencephalography. In this process, electrodes hooked up to the head measure electricity levels in the brain. The resulting electroencephalograms (EEGs) of dolphin brains demonstrate that in the sleep cycle, half of the dolphin's brain does indeed "shut down" while the other half is still active. Researchers have observed that dolphins are in this state for approximately eight hours a day.

buttons
02-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Well, simply by being unconscious with only half of their brain at a time. Researchers have discovered this with electroencephalography, also known as EEGs. It showed that one side of the brain would literally shut down while the other side of the brain would be completely active. This allows dolphins and whales to come up above the water and get air every so often. Researchers have observed that they do this for eight hours a day, similar to us humans.

try google, yh?
jack beat me :@

jackass
02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
try google, yh?
jack beat me :@

Haha owned Jen. :8

tm
02-04-2009, 05:41 PM
See also: http://animals.howstuffworks.com/mammals/question643.htm

AgnesIO
03-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Scientists have studied this phenomenon in dolphins, using electroencephalography. In this process, electrodes hooked up to the head measure electricity levels in the brain. The resulting electroencephalograms (EEGs) of dolphin brains demonstrate that in the sleep cycle, half of the dolphin's brain does indeed "shut down" while the other half is still active. Researchers have observed that dolphins are in this state for approximately eight hours a day.

That has to be some of the best Chinese I have ever read. :P

leah
03-04-2009, 09:39 PM
So they half sleep under water?
cool.

:Niccie
12-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Lol it sounds well weird ;x if only i could do that

carys198
16-04-2009, 10:36 PM
electroencephalography

:o looong word, when I saw it I like totally blanked out -.-

Sly
16-04-2009, 10:49 PM
i woz gonna say that

jimi
17-04-2009, 12:50 AM
i woz gonna say that

I woz toooo!

AgnesIO
17-04-2009, 08:39 AM
I woz toooo!

wow, and you needed to post that to?

Anyway I still think whatever the person posted was chinese.. :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!