PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions about graphic tablets.

Urnuph
08-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Well I am a keen graphics designer, but I have never used a tablet - I might buy one, as some of the work around here is awesome, and i would like to do the same, plus as I already said I am into graphics. I have a few questions though.

1. Do you necessarily have to be a good drawer in real life, to be good on a tablet?
2. How do you use it exactly? Can you use a tablet in photoshop, or does it come with special software?
3. How big are they?
4. Are they easy to get started with? Like, could I just set it up and then draw away?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.

Recursion
08-04-2009, 06:25 AM
1. It would help, but no.
2. You can use it in just about anything, even as your mouse! ;P
3. Depends what size you get, you can get A5, A4, A3 etc..
4. Very easy, I went round my mates house, picked the pen up, he told me what the two buttons did and I was away! Infact now I want one! :]

Trinity
08-04-2009, 09:12 AM
1. It would help, but no.
2. You can use it in just about anything, even as your mouse! ;P
3. Depends what size you get, you can get A5, A4, A3 etc..
4. Very easy, I went round my mates house, picked the pen up, he told me what the two buttons did and I was away! Infact now I want one! :]

Agreed, they're incredibly easy to use. I would advise you to shop around though, I got one about a week after my cousin did, twice as good for half the price that he paid.

Thai-Man-Land
08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
can you reccomend any?

Urnuph
08-04-2009, 12:51 PM
can you reccomend any?

Thanks guys, and this is also what I would like to know. Which tablet are you using Trinity?

Trinity
08-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks guys, and this is also what I would like to know. Which tablet are you using Trinity?

None anymore, I think it was a Wacom tablet though.

Recursion
08-04-2009, 02:25 PM
When you mention graphics tablets I think Wacom is the well known brand.

GommeInc
08-04-2009, 08:30 PM
1. It helps, though some people who paint or draw on paper may not necessarily be good at "drawing" on a mat and seeing it appear on a monitor.
2. It's sort of like a glorified mouse, except some graphic tablets notice how much you press and depress. In other words, the harder you press the thicker the line or whatever you're drawing will be and the lighter you press, the thinner.
3. The common ones you can buy in most places are A6 size, though you can get bigger.
4. Yep. I'm not sure about XP, but in Vista you get a weird application that appears on the side of the screen. When you open it, you can write out sentences and it'll predict what you are writing, which it will then add to whatever you have on-screen that accepts writing, so Word, Firefox, NotePad etc etc :)

I recommend Wacom, they're very good and easy to use :) Hope this helps.

lew!
09-04-2009, 01:17 AM
I had a tablet, they are pretty fun to use actually, unfortunately at the time I didn't have a proper use for it so I basically just traced over a woman etc. However now I could use it for photoshop, I might dig it out some time tomorrow actually.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!