PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Internet Connection - Pros/Cons?

Rinsed
09-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Probably gonna sound like a really stupid thread, but its something I've been wondering about. I might get my ps3 connected, but would it be worth the hassle? I'm heavily into RPGs/MMORPGs.. Are there any of these available on the ps3 with multiplayer? [i'm also a noob at ps3 games, owning only 4-5]. And what are the actual benefits of multiplayer?

Jibbish
09-04-2009, 11:25 AM
I don't think there are actually any RPGs that have an online multiplayer.
The benefits of multiplayer is that once you've completed a game story mode (or not) you can go on multiplayer and play with other people. There won't be a fixed storyline for multiplayer so it will always vary every game you play

ecstasy
09-04-2009, 11:33 AM
you'll get more out of your games if you play online. once you've completed a story, theres only so long you can repeat it for until you get bored.

Rinsed
09-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Hm, cheers for those. I suppose that's a good thing eh? And I think I might have read somewhere that the connection is free - is that true? If so, then I'll probably go ahead and get it :D

ecstasy
10-04-2009, 11:55 AM
yep, its free :)
you just need a cable for a wired connection, and a router for wireless (which you'll probably have anyway)

Rinsed
10-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Nope, don't have one :P
But it's cool, dad has friends who sells em for a lot less than mainstream shops :D
Cheers for your help +rep

AlexOC
10-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Nope, don't have one :P
But it's cool, dad has friends who sells em for a lot less than mainstream shops :D
Cheers for your help +rep

Your better off with a wired connection in my opinion, I orginially had a wireless connection, via my router downstairs, and my connection was always about 50-70% sometimes 80-100%, but despite being always connected to the internet, it kept signing me out of PSN with an error, i could only get through about 2 games of Killzone 2 before that signing me out, and Fifa 09 wasn't at all letting me play online, so i moved my PS3 near my computer and shared the ethernet cable and its been fantastic, im always signed into PSN perfectly, i can play numerous Killzone online games without being kicked out, there's never ever lag on my end and i can actually play fifa online now.

kk.
10-04-2009, 03:09 PM
ive never had that problem alex :P mines just worked perfectly since i set it up.. apart from my router sometimes plays up but thats nothing to do with PSN :P

go for it, its great. There arent really any cons i can think of :S

AlexOC
10-04-2009, 03:17 PM
ive never had that problem alex :P mines just worked perfectly since i set it up.. apart from my router sometimes plays up but thats nothing to do with PSN :P

go for it, its great. There arent really any cons i can think of :S

Yeh but with wired now, even if my router plays up it dosent go off. Its invincible.

Rinsed
10-04-2009, 08:47 PM
That'd be pretty difficult for me.. My PC is in the living room, my PS3 is upstairs in my room. There's always someone in the living room watching TV so thats not an option lol.. I'll risk the wireless.

Sunny.
11-04-2009, 12:01 PM
wireless is fine for me. Used to have problems then I tried that opendns site

ecstasy
11-04-2009, 12:16 PM
wireless isnt bad at all. it works fine for most people, and if you have a bad signal, you can just buy a stonger antenna

Oleh
14-04-2009, 09:55 AM
IMO, ps3 online is crap, yes it may be free, but its crap, i get terrible lag on cod4, my mate says its my connection but my 360 works fine on cod4, my ps3 is wireless but in theory my router is like not even a meter away from my ps3

Swinkid
14-04-2009, 10:14 AM
IMO, ps3 online is crap, yes it may be free, but its crap, i get terrible lag on cod4, my mate says its my connection but my 360 works fine on cod4, my ps3 is wireless but in theory my router is like not even a meter away from my ps3
Yeh but thats ONE game. It's fine around my mates.. So it has t obe someit with ur connection.

Jam
14-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Use the PC monitor to play the PS3 on, you can get a VGA Switcher for about £5 and I'm sure you can get a PS3 > VGA cable cheap aswell. VGA graphics are still pretty good, a friend uses VGA on his Xbox 360 and its very sharp.

ecstasy
14-04-2009, 11:33 AM
what? why would he want to use a pc monitor?

Jam
14-04-2009, 05:01 PM
That'd be pretty difficult for me.. My PC is in the living room, my PS3 is upstairs in my room. There's always someone in the living room watching TV so thats not an option lol.. I'll risk the wireless.

That's why he might want to.

ecstasy
14-04-2009, 05:19 PM
his ps3 would be in the living room if he was gonna play it in there, not in his room. im guessing he has a tv in his room

Oleh
16-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Yeh but thats ONE game. It's fine around my mates.. So it has t obe someit with ur connection.

it isnt my connection, i get perfect connection on every game on my xbox? on ps3 i played like 9 games, all half decent connections?

paul4wolves
16-04-2009, 11:35 AM
OMG defo get it connected, thats the best bit, beating people around the world!

The wireless in the PS3 is really good, you never disconnect.

Jordan3606
16-04-2009, 08:26 PM

The COD4 servers are P2P servers so if the host has a ****e connection, so will everyone else in the game. If the host leaves the game, the game ends for everyone, etc. etc. I dont know if this is the same for the 360 or what, but hey whatever lol.

Sony do not operate the COD4 servers anyway, the PSN servers themselves are top notch, and if you boot up any first/second party PS3 game then you will find the online absolutely flawless, with dedicated servers. Resistance 2 60 player lag free battles, Warhawk 32 player lag free battles, Killzone 2 32 player lag free battles :P I could go on and on. On the 360, you get GoW2 8 player matches full of lag and disconnections?! (or at least when the game came out it was like that), and you actually pay to play that online. Now I'm not going to try and start a fanboy war here, I'm not saying PSN is overall better than Live, but for a free service its pretty damn good. The only thing Live has over it is cross game voice chat, which imo Sony needs to get off their ass and implement asap.

Anyway, @OP, I reccomend getting PSN even if you're not going to be playing games online :P Theres plenty to download from the PS Store should you want any new games or stuff, and you can collect trophies to compare with your friends list etc. Its not all about playing games :)

Oleh
16-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Ok just to clear things up, its £3 a month, it isnt a lot, unless you unemployed and on the dole (in which case still isnt that much)
The people on psn must have crap connections then as it was around 40-50 games i played not 1, im not a fanboy, i just know for a fact that xbox live is much much better

Jibbish
16-04-2009, 09:10 PM
But PSN is pretty good considering it's free.

Oleh
16-04-2009, 09:12 PM
I have put some thought into it and i came up with, psn is free because it doesnt have alot of features, such as cross game voice chat, 8 player party chat, and my other thought was, its free to make up the cost of the ps3 itself

Jibbish
16-04-2009, 09:15 PM
But Microsoft probaly own a copyright patent for half those features or something lol like for in game music.

Zak
10-05-2009, 12:34 PM
online play is abit unstable on the ps3

invite system is terrible

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!