PDA

View Full Version : 1 Billion App Countdown

PoizZoNxX
10-04-2009, 09:14 PM
http://www.apple.com/itunes/billion-app-countdown/

Download an App and get a chance to win $10,000, iPod Touch, Time Capsule, Macbook Pro

Jordy
10-04-2009, 09:21 PM
No way is that timer real, I don't think it's even flash so it's unlikely, it just seems to go up a thousand every 12.3 seconds (Yes I got the stopwatch out, shoot me now).

Sixiz
10-04-2009, 09:37 PM
yeh i doubt thats a real timer

BowTies1
10-04-2009, 09:49 PM
of course its not a real time they have taken sales infromation on how many records they sell in a second with recent sales and use those sales in the timer hence why it goes up the same ammount every so often

Sixiz
10-04-2009, 09:53 PM
OK guys they have already hit 1 billion thats just there to represent whats going on, read the text carefully ok!

of course its not a real time they have taken sales infromation on how many records they sell in a second with recent sales and use those sales in the timer hence why it goes up the same ammount every so often

I'm Sorry but your all wrong, They have already hit 1 billion app's read the text m8

Edited by Garion (Forum Super Moderator): Double posts caused my lag merged.

jackass
10-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Nah, it isn't legit.

It has an exact sequence.

BeanEgg
10-04-2009, 09:58 PM
OK guys they have already hit 1 billion thats just there to represent whats going on, read the text carefully ok!

Haha: "As of today, nearly one billion apps have been downloaded around the globe."

"We're about to hit a billion."
"930,***,***"

50 countries are participating so that could be a live timer. ;)

PoizZoNxX
10-04-2009, 10:13 PM
http://images.apple.com/itunes/billion-app-countdown/images/filmstrip.png

BeanEgg
10-04-2009, 10:15 PM
http://images.apple.com/itunes/billion-app-countdown/images/filmstrip.png

What's that supposed to state? LOL

Nick.
10-04-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm Sorry but your all wrong, They have already hit 1 billion app's read the text m8
LOL at you 'm8'

As of today, nearly one billion apps have been downloaded around the globe.

Obviously you are not reading the text... it's not in chat speak, it's in English, FYI.

Fez
10-04-2009, 10:26 PM
At the march 27th conference, they had 800 million downloads. To be honest, I think it's legit

jackass
10-04-2009, 10:53 PM
At the march 27th conference, they had 800 million downloads. To be honest, I think it's legit

How? It goes up in an exact sequence - it isn't even random.

RichardKnox
11-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Because taking a live count would use up resources so they will have looked at sales data over x amount of days/months and will have worked out the average downloads per second, so every second it will go up by the same amount.

BowTies1
11-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Because taking a live count would use up resources so they will have looked at sales data over x amount of days/months and will have worked out the average downloads per second, so every second it will go up by the same amount.

as i stated earlier in the thread

Kyle!
11-04-2009, 01:57 AM

What are you on about? They haven't reached the 1 billion! In the T&C it doesn't say anything about what you're talking about, stop making stuff up.

As numerous people have said, they'll be using sales data they're representing it live.

Agnostic Bear
11-04-2009, 04:46 AM
What are you on about? They haven't reached the 1 billion! In the T&C it doesn't say anything about what you're talking about, stop making stuff up.

As numerous people have said, they'll be using sales data they're representing it live.

It's not live at all, I think it's updated every hour on the hour.

Edit: it is updated once an hour on the hour.

the counter file:
http://www.apple.com/autopush/us/itunes/includes/countdown.txt

and in the javascript:
this.setRate(parseInt(j[2]) / 3600000);

Suspective
11-04-2009, 05:20 AM
Its not legit, and as said based on figures obtained in the past.

:job2
11-04-2009, 06:33 AM
If you go into the itunes store there is a little advert with a timer, I think that one is accurate, each time you refresh it displays a different number.

This is quite clever from Apple, soo many people want to be that 1 billionth download and the competition is spread over 50 countries! All this means is there App sales are going to go faster than they have been.

Would be nice to win though :D lol

The competition is legit, Apple have not reached 1 billion yet, the figures are a rough average based on previous sales figures but updated every hour, id imagine during this competition they will update thesales figures to make the counter go faster / slower based on how many people are downloading Apps since the competition began.

EDIT: http://www.apple.com/itunes/billion-app-countdown/entryform/ you dont even need to download an App to be entered! All you need to do is submit that form.

MrPinkPanther
11-04-2009, 09:20 AM
If you go into the itunes store there is a little advert with a timer, I think that one is accurate, each time you refresh it displays a different number.
Agreed, it seems to update once a minuite and the added number isnt the same every time as far as I can tell.

Laurensh1
12-04-2009, 07:41 PM
I follow the one in the iTunes Store... Would be so lucky to be the billionth ;P

Sixiz
12-04-2009, 07:54 PM
OK i was wrong, But i dont need 4 people to dissaprove

Firehorse
12-04-2009, 08:37 PM
You know I think its going up at an average speed taken from the last couple of months or something. and then they probably sync it to the real amount every few minutes or so. Otherwise it would use your bandwidth continuously to keep it accurate.

I know it isn't live simply because if you right click it and click properties it pauses it. Then when you close properties it continues from where you paused it.

GommeInc
12-04-2009, 09:43 PM
That can't be real, it was approaching 1 Billion last night/this morning and the amount it was counting up since would suggest it'd be well into the billion mark by now. It can't be live or updated with the real amount, otherwise it'd shoot up to a random amount (or down depending) every few minutes/hours/days. If it is fake, that's pretty poor of Apple :P Infact, the idea they have a countdown timer is pretty strange... Just tell everyone in a keynote or send out information to all major magazine and review websites telling the news.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!