PDA

View Full Version : Can't Boot PC

AlexOC
12-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Hi there.

Well i've posted before this issue about an old-ish computer, with no help that has worked.

I have a Compaq computer running Vista Home Basic, and last time i posted it wasnt too much of a problem as i had another computer, but ive sold that so i only have the broke one (and this one im posting off but i dont use it much).

Now when i turn it on its give me the Compaq Screen, then loads a minute then says 'Enter proper boot device and restart', but my Hard-Drive is set as primrary, so theres something wrong with all the files or somewhat. I do have another drive 'Factory_Image', which is the partition drive. Unfortanulty it isn't set as an Active partition, so when i press 'System restore' at the start screen nothing happens as it cant find an active partition. i havent got a restore disc, and im not really bothered about my personal files on there as there is nothing important so i dont mind clearing my whole hard drive.

I just dont know how to get it working again, i tried safe mode and it dosent boot either, i also tried swearing at it, but it suprisingly won't budge.

Should i just try and download a Restore disc off't Tinternet or is there an easier way to go around, it was getting very sluggish in performance anyway so i would like to maybe restore and reinstall everything again, for a new lease of life on it.

Thanks in advance, Alex.

paul4wolves
12-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi there.

Well i've posted before this issue about an old-ish computer, with no help that has worked.

I have a Compaq computer running Vista Home Basic, and last time i posted it wasnt too much of a problem as i had another computer, but ive sold that so i only have the broke one (and this one im posting off but i dont use it much).

Now when i turn it on its give me the Compaq Screen, then loads a minute then says 'Enter proper boot device and restart', but my Hard-Drive is set as primrary, so theres something wrong with all the files or somewhat. I do have another drive 'Factory_Image', which is the partition drive. Unfortanulty it isn't set as an Active partition, so when i press 'System restore' at the start screen nothing happens as it cant find an active partition. i havent got a restore disc, and im not really bothered about my personal files on there as there is nothing important so i dont mind clearing my whole hard drive.

I just dont know how to get it working again, i tried safe mode and it dosent boot either, i also tried swearing at it, but it suprisingly won't budge.

Should i just try and download a Restore disc off't Tinternet or is there an easier way to go around, it was getting very sluggish in performance anyway so i would like to maybe restore and reinstall everything again, for a new lease of life on it.

Thanks in advance, Alex.

I've 'bricked' my computer like this before, the easiest way to fix it is to re install your OS and if that don't work then get a new hard drive and then it should work!

AlexOC
12-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I've 'bricked' my computer like this before, the easiest way to fix it is to re install your OS and if that don't work then get a new hard drive and then it should work!

your saying it would just be easier to just 'start again'?

And i don't have any media, no discs, no hard drives to back up, restore or have any backup OS's

I have a computer and a cat.

paul4wolves
12-04-2009, 07:32 PM
your saying it would just be easier to just 'start again'?

And i don't have any media, no discs, no hard drives to back up, restore or have any backup OS's

I have a computer and a cat.
LOL
well, either go legal and buy the vista or xp cd or got tinernet and download bittorrent and then find a torrent with xp or vista on it. either 700mb ish or 4200mb ish.
Trust, it would be way easier to start again. Been there, done that.

AlexOC
12-04-2009, 07:37 PM
LOL
well, either go legal and buy the vista or xp cd or got tinernet and download bittorrent and then find a torrent with xp or vista on it. either 700mb ish or 4200mb ish.
Trust, it would be way easier to start again. Been there, done that.

Yeh if i went to download i was gonna use a torrent.

Well thanks for the help :)

paul4wolves
12-04-2009, 07:40 PM
No Problem! Cheers for Rep too ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!