PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3.0 initial impressions

MrPinkPanther
14-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Well I've been using 3.0 (Beta) for awhile now so I thought I would give my impressions on it so far.

General
I'm running Beta version 2 at the moment and its very stable and speedy, I've had no problems so far with it (fingers crossed) although when I put it in DFU mode ready for a jailbreak I got this wierd Pink background instead of the normal black one (The pink one is NASTY)

Search
The search feature works brilliantly I must say. You just scroll to the screen left from your home view and BAM, it's there waiting for you. Its extremely fast at finding all of your files and I would say its the most practical feature in 3.0. I now reguarly use it for finding videos, songs etc rather than trawling through my list. In summary, I LOVE IT!

Copy and Paste
The feature that we are all waiting for. Most of the time it works really well, it obviously isnt as easy as copy and paste on a PC and can get a little fiddly at times but its as good as it could have been. Its definatly useable and useful and as I've got used to it I've been using it more and more.

Rotation
As you probably know you can now rotate in all of the home screen apps and to be honest its pretty self explanitory. It does exactly what you would expect and how you would expect it. It doesn't seem to work on the mail application which is a little dissapointing but oh well.

iPhone SDK 3.0
Now this is really where it comes into its own. The new APIs are AMAZING and so easy to implement. They are all fully documented in the developers connection and you can add some really great features like peer to peer and maps in minuites. I have an iPod touch not an iPhone so I haven't been able to test pier to pier yet but the Maps is brilliant, you can find the persons current location, specify a location, overlay things on the top, specify the zoom level. The list is endless.

In summary I love 3.0 and see it as a vital update to the iPhone.

:job2
14-04-2009, 12:16 PM
I dont like the fact that as an iPod Touch first gen owner I will have to pay for it!!

Also I wont be able to necessarily use all of the features as the first gen doesn't same all the features as 2nd gen

MrPinkPanther
14-04-2009, 12:23 PM
I dont like the fact that as an iPod Touch first gen owner I will have to pay for it!!

Also I wont be able to necessarily use all of the features as the first gen doesn't same all the features as 2nd gen
I own a first gen and I think its fair enough that you've gotta pay. You only have to pay like £6 or whatever and its only once a year really, it's not that much and they aren't forcing you to upgrade.

Yoshimitsui
14-04-2009, 12:29 PM
You have to pay extortionate prices for Apple products in the first place, so to make people pay with older version is unfair.

MrPinkPanther
14-04-2009, 01:26 PM
You have to pay extortionate prices for Apple products in the first place, so to make people pay with older version is unfair.
iPhone, yes which is why you get it free. iTouch, no which is why you pay. Many other media player manufactures make you purchase a new one rather than just having to purchase an update even if the update is capable of running on all of the old systems. The thing is no one is forcing you to update, if they were then I think it should be free.

blanky12!
14-04-2009, 01:30 PM
I've been using 3.0 for awhile, and since the 3.0 beta 2 came out, I think they can shelf it right now and start selling (release etc) It is amazingly better, just some applications do not work (pretty standard though)

MrPinkPanther
14-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I've been using 3.0 for awhile, and since the 3.0 beta 2 came out, I think they can shelf it right now and start selling (release etc) It is amazingly better, just some applications do not work (pretty standard though)
Oh cool, you on the dev list? Got any apps? :P

blanky12!
14-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Oh cool, you on the dev list? Got any apps? :P
currently developing some, with hardness though. I'm not used to SDK

Ostinato
14-04-2009, 04:26 PM
I have the 2g iphone - I don't get the 3.0 update right? It's only for 3g peeps?

edgates
14-04-2009, 04:32 PM
I have the 2g iphone - I don't get the 3.0 update right? It's only for 3g peeps?
I think everyone gets it, it's free for the iPhone 3G and $10 for iPod touch, not too sure about original iPhones, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get it.

Ostinato
14-04-2009, 05:16 PM
I think everyone gets it, it's free for the iPhone 3G and $10 for iPod touch, not too sure about original iPhones, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get it.

Well as far as I have heard 2g aint getting it because it cant support mms and all this cause the hardware isn't up to date enough or something - which is really quite infuriating tbh.

Jordan,
14-04-2009, 05:35 PM
2gs do get it but the stero bluetooth and mms wont work and the update free

Ostinato
14-04-2009, 05:45 PM
2gs do get it but the stero bluetooth and mms wont work and the update free

Grr lol so its just mms and bluetooth that wont work? :(

Frizzoo
14-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Yes, everything else than MMS and Stereo Bluetooth won't work on 1. gen iPhones.

kk.
14-04-2009, 06:41 PM
well think about it, the ipod touch wouldnt get mms or bluetooth either so theyll just release a different update for 2g and 1g

MrPinkPanther
14-04-2009, 06:44 PM
On the iPhone developers connection you have to select what version you want to download for (1st gen iPhone etc). In 2.0 there are various different versions for each device too.

edgates
14-04-2009, 06:45 PM
well think about it, the ipod touch wouldnt get mms or bluetooth either so theyll just release a different update for 2g and 1g
I thought the touch 2nd gens were going to have bluetooth unlocked?

kk.
14-04-2009, 06:47 PM
if they have bluetooth hardware in them then its possible, but they wont get mms :P

Nick.
14-04-2009, 08:19 PM

Second generation iPod touch owners will have to purchase this update too - you speak as though you are in a minority of people who have to buy it.

When Microsoft comes out with Windows 7 - are you expecting it to be free? I hope not. It's the same in this case. It's a whole new version of the iPhone/iPod OS - much like when Windows 7 will come out, it will be a whole new version of Vista. The same goes for OS X 10.6 - you will have to pay. They are new versions of the operating systems with more features. I honestly don't mind paying £6 odd for a new version of an OS with loads of awesome new features.

Yes, you get the update free however your version will lack the ability to send/receive MMS and use Stereo Bluetooth.

The second generation iPod is getting it's Bluetooth hardware unlocked.

Implement
16-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Can't wait to get this on my 3G, that bluetooth, copy and paste and and MMS is going to be such an added bonus, it's going to make the iPhone 3G an all-round better phone, even though it was already awsome anyway!

omgDAN!
18-04-2009, 10:57 AM
I installed it, but really found it too annoying for everyday useage. Half of the Facebook application didn't work with it, I didn't like the way copy and paste works, and it was noticeably slower. I've gone back to 2.2.1 Jailbroken.

mb-group.net
18-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Does the 1st Gen Touch have BlueTooth? If so, will it be unlocked in 3.0?

Nick.
18-04-2009, 07:11 PM
No, the 1st Generation touch has no Bluetooth hardware inside.

DaveTaylor
19-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Getting the new iPhone when it comes out with 3.0, but for now using my 2G iPhone/3G iPhone, however MMS does work on 2G iPhone by the way.

Recursion
19-04-2009, 10:20 AM
It can be hacked to I think?

Although I am still sticking by the fact that it has taken Apple 2 years to bring out a feature other mobile phones have had for about 6+

Josh-H
19-04-2009, 07:24 PM

The 1st gen touch does not have bluetooth.

Ostinato
20-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Getting the new iPhone when it comes out with 3.0, but for now using my 2G iPhone/3G iPhone, however MMS does work on 2G iPhone by the way.

MMS Doesnt work... unless you use swirlymms app that you need to pay to get...

DaveTaylor
20-04-2009, 02:43 PM
MMS Doesnt work... unless you use swirlymms app that you need to pay to get...
I am talking about 3.0 I have a dev account :/. The simple carrier file trick works on 2G and 3G phones unless apple block that with final release the hardware stuff was just crap basically lol.

Ostinato
20-04-2009, 02:51 PM
I am talking about 3.0 I have a dev account :/. The simple carrier file trick works on 2G and 3G phones unless apple block that with final release the hardware stuff was just crap basically lol.

So you are saying mms works on 2g iphone with 3.0 software??

DaveTaylor
20-04-2009, 02:57 PM
So you are saying mms works on 2g iphone with 3.0 software??

*hits head off table* yes, the inbuilt function works AT THE MOMENT unless apple block it with the final release, which is possible. But at the current moment with the ipcc carrier file edits it works fine.

Ostinato
20-04-2009, 05:00 PM
*hits head off table* yes, the inbuilt function works AT THE MOMENT unless apple block it with the final release, which is possible. But at the current moment with the ipcc carrier file edits it works fine.

Well all the news links I have read all say that 2g wont get mms so I don't really see what your whole "hits head off table" crap is about considering you are the first person I have encountered to claim that 2g is/has mms capabilities.

Swinkid
20-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Well all the news links I have read all say that 2g wont get mms so I don't really see what your whole "hits head off table" crap is about considering you are the first person I have encountered to claim that 2g is/has mms capabilities.
*smacks face* He said AT THE MOMENT (Because its in BETA 2!) it works, but might not in the final release.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!