PDA

View Full Version : What would actually happen if...

Sunny.
14-04-2009, 12:15 PM
you kept your mobile phone on in a plane?

You know how they tell you to turn your mobile phones off or just turn them to flight mode. But if you dont turn them off can anything major happen.

+rep for replys

:job2
14-04-2009, 12:19 PM
I think its more a precaution, like hospitals never used to let patients use there mobile phones in the building in case it made another machine give weird readings, but now most hospitals allow you to use your phone.

I imagine they don't like you using phones in planes in case it causes inaccurate readings for the pilots, im not sure if its still a problem though

Luke
14-04-2009, 12:32 PM
There isn't any evidence, just claims, so in 1991 i believe, the FAA baned the use of mobiles on aeroplanes.

I would imagine, incase, it interfere's with communication and navigation radar signals. As it could distort the radar signal, which could be bad, if it blocks the navigation signal, espeically in bad weather.

Technologic
14-04-2009, 12:32 PM
You die of crashing into the ground

timROGERS
14-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Mine was on once by mistake, the only time I've ever flown :P I had my phone on by mistake, meant to turn it off lolz.

Yoshimitsui
14-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Nothing will happen really, i have done it many a time! It is just a precaution taken and is a rule of the airline that they request people to turn them off as it could possibly interfere with navigation. But if you think about it they only request and do not check to see if people turn phones off as it is not a definite problem that could occur.

Sixiz
14-04-2009, 12:58 PM
I think it interupts the calls from there walkie talkie things, Imagine if u had to take a crash landing, then you phone somebody and they hear you talking about loose women or something,

" You have to take a 15 degrees turn and land at the airport to your left and also dont forget to-"
" I know loose women was fabulous, i cant waiti for tomorrow's "

- CRASH -

The end :)

Shockwave.2CC
14-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Nothing will happen, they just tell you that cus they dont want it going off when your in the air.

Because they don't want yapping people disrupting the other passengers.
:eusa_danc

GommeInc
14-04-2009, 01:08 PM
I've known people to leave them on. Nothing happens. On some networks it is incredibly rare to even get a signal. It's a precaution none-the-less.

James!
14-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Don't airplanes have phones on them anyways?

Yoshimitsui
14-04-2009, 07:27 PM
I think it interupts the calls from there walkie talkie things, Imagine if u had to take a crash landing, then you phone somebody and they hear you talking about loose women or something,

" You have to take a 15 degrees turn and land at the airport to your left and also dont forget to-"

- CRASH -

It will not connect with the VHF radios on the plane and nor is it for the event of an emergency landing. It has been said to ''possibly'' cause interference with communication and navigation, but in this day and age it is not likely.

The Professor
14-04-2009, 08:03 PM
It will not connect with the VHF radios on the plane and nor is it for the event of an emergency landing. It has been said to ''possibly'' cause interference with communication and navigation, but in this day and age it is not likely.

I've actually picked up a mobile phone conversation on my VHF radio once, it was some guy arguing with his girlfriend :P Was pretty funny really!

Caution
14-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Nothing will happen, they just tell you that cus they dont want it going off when your in the air.

eh, no it's not to stop people from talking while in the air lmao.

Nick.
14-04-2009, 08:23 PM

That's not the case - what difference would it make whether you were talking to someone on your mobile or someone next to you? Also, don't centre align your posts, it's extremely annoying to read - not that it was worth reading.

- CRASH -

I'm sure in the event of a crash landing procedure somebody would not be discussing Loose Women on their mobile phone.

xxMATTGxx
14-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Nothing will happen, although like many have said above its a precaution. Although in the recent years some airlines have been allowing people use mobile phones in the air. Although I not really come across it in recent months. I would suggest just following the rules ;). Something I found on the internet which might be an interest to you;

The reason is that cell phones interfere with the airplane's electronics, right?

Well, no, actually. The risk posed by cell phones to airplane equipment is unknown, and will remain unknown for as long as possible.

Phones are banned for two official reasons:

1. Cell phones "might" interfere with the avionics (aviation electronics) of some airplanes.

2. Cell phones aloft "might" cause problems with cell tower systems on the ground.

Both of these risks are easily tested, yet somehow neither the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) nor the Federal Communications Commission has been able to get a definitive answer in the past 20 years as to whether phone calls in flight cause these suspected problems. (The FAA is responsible for the flight safety portion of all this, and the FCC is responsible for the cell tower part.)

xxMATTGxx
15-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Sorry for the double post, but its updating information. I knew I would find this, Its the answer by a fellow pilot of American Airlines explaining about cell phones on planes etc.

http://www.gadling.com/2008/07/18/plane-answers-a-rant-in-favor-of-cell-phones-on-airplanes/

alexxxxx
15-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Nothing, on Ryanair flights you are now allowed to use them.

Tomm
15-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Doubt it was a mobile phone conversation as the communications between the handset and tower are encrypted (The encryption is weak, but thats not the point).

I've actually picked up a mobile phone conversation on my VHF radio once, it was some guy arguing with his girlfriend :P Was pretty funny really!

Firehorse
15-04-2009, 12:00 PM
If you're on a ryanair flight then it will just cost you a lot. Because ryanair have a special reciever so you can use your mobile on the plane and sends the signal up through satellites.

Otherwise its an old precaution from before the technology went digital. Analouge signals from radio etc would interfere with the signals from the traffic control.

The way a mobile signal works is it first sends out a weak signal looking for a network and if it doesn't find any it looks again with a stronger signal each time. So you could imagine a guy using a mobile which is looking for a network with an incredibly strong signals going out, which is why they have the new short range recievers which ryanair are using on some aircraft.

Hope this explains it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!