PDA

View Full Version : [+5REP] Two Microsoft problems.

shizzle
15-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Basically I've posted these along time ago on the forum, and it never got figured out yet, so here I am again, hoping this time it will.

1. The connection image thingy in the toolbar with the two computers has a red x through it, meaning there is no connection when I have a connection, pretty weird.

2. The startup is slow, just after the Windows Vista welcome loading screen, it shows a plain black screen for like 2 minutes then loads normal.

+REP for the solution :eusa_wall

carys198
15-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Hmm, I'm not quite sure about this because I don't have a Vista, but what you could give a shot is..

If your connection is wired:

Make sure all your wires are connected tightly and all lights are turned on, on your dial-up box and especially the 'Internet' light is green.

If your connection is wireless:

Like I said, make sure all the lights are on, also try searching for connections, your computer may not have picked it up or may have found more than one connection that it could connect to.

2. When it does sign on, check there aren't any background programs going on preventing the computer starting correctly.

Not sure, but hope it helps.. :)

shizzle
16-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Hmm, I'm not quite sure about this because I don't have a Vista, but what you could give a shot is..

If your connection is wired:

Make sure all your wires are connected tightly and all lights are turned on, on your dial-up box and especially the 'Internet' light is green.

If your connection is wireless:

Like I said, make sure all the lights are on, also try searching for connections, your computer may not have picked it up or may have found more than one connection that it could connect to.

2. When it does sign on, check there aren't any background programs going on preventing the computer starting correctly.

Not sure, but hope it helps.. :)
Lol it didn't lol. Still the same. +rep for trying.

paul4wolves
16-04-2009, 11:13 AM
1. Try blowing on the ethernet cable to get rid of any microscopic dust LOL, seams stupid but works!

2. That just because your computer isn't that good. I had a crap computer with vista and it did this too. Or maybe you have too much stuff on it.

Luke
16-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Yes, when i did have Vista, mine done this as well, it corrects it self later.

And the black screen, mine also done this, on my old HP computer, which was 1gb ram, 1.8ghz processor.

It didn't do it on my newer computer, which has much higher specs, so, it's generally, your computer performance

:job2
16-04-2009, 11:24 AM
If you connect via a wireless connection the internet connection icon in the taskbar can have a red X through it, because its connected through a wireless device instead of a cable.

Check your startup programs, something may be making startup take longer than it should

start > control panel > programs > default programs (third option down) > stop a program running at startup

bum
16-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Get CCleaner and run the registry and run the general and registry cleaner.

There's also a programme called Start-up Manager which allows you to determine which executables start when the computer loads up. You might find that there's a few that are unnecessary and can turn them off.

Nli.
16-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Basically I've posted these along time ago on the forum, and it never got figured out yet, so here I am again, hoping this time it will.

1. The connection image thingy in the toolbar with the two computers has a red x through it, meaning there is no connection when I have a connection, pretty weird.

+REP for the solution :eusa_wall

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8365/toolbary.png
Like this?
If you already have a connection it's coming from somewhere else.
As you can see I have this and next to it I have a "wireless icon"
I'm using a wireless adapter for the internet but I still have the icon saying I'm not connected but that's because I'm not using the ethernet. Possibly your using a wireless connection or something else, like a USB port.

The icon with the red cross means your local area connection.
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1522/networke.png

shizzle
16-04-2009, 11:32 AM
1. Try blowing on the ethernet cable to get rid of any microscopic dust LOL, seams stupid but works!

2. That just because your computer isn't that good. I had a crap computer with vista and it did this too. Or maybe you have too much stuff on it.
Lol, that wouldn't work. My computer is that bad lol.

Yes, when i did have Vista, mine done this as well, it corrects it self later.

And the black screen, mine also done this, on my old HP computer, which was 1gb ram, 1.8ghz processor.

It didn't do it on my newer computer, which has much higher specs, so, it's generally, your computer performance
Mines still the same, with the red x. Lol I got HP aswell, slimline pavilion to be precise. So what can I do to stop it happening?

If you connect via a wireless connection the internet connection icon in the taskbar can have a red X through it, because its connected through a wireless device instead of a cable.

Check your startup programs, something may be making startup take longer than it should

start > control panel > programs > default programs (third option down) > stop a program running at startup
:o Is it suppose to? ok if you say so I got wireless =p

Where?

http://uploadpicz.com/images/QFNEUXM.jpg

I've got a CCleaner already lol.

Luke
16-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Lol, that wouldn't work. My computer is that bad lol.

Mines still the same, with the red x. Lol I got HP aswell, slimline pavilion to be precise. So what can I do to stop it happening?

:o Is it suppose to? ok if you say so I got wireless =p

Where?

I've got a CCleaner already lol.

OOO, Mine was the Slimline pavilon as well, it sucked. Badly.
I use it as a server now LOL

Anyways, try plugging, the router side of the ethernet cable, into another port on the router.

timROGERS
16-04-2009, 04:03 PM
1) The icon at the bottom which shows a disconnected connection may be showing a different connection for some reason. Or it may just be being ******ed.

2) Try to do things that were mentioned before, for example CCleaner scans and disabling some startup processes. However, it is probably more likely just to be your computer not being so good - you could try adding some more RAM!

Zokoli
16-04-2009, 04:11 PM
1. Have a look and see if there is anything preventing the connection. A firewall or a program maybe?

2. Upgrade your RAM here, and it will auto-correct its self.

Enjoy.

Zokoli.

shizzle
17-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Ok, forget the 1) now guys, onto the 2). So the main reason is too much memory used/taken up?

Flisker
19-04-2009, 01:49 AM
I guess on start up Windows needs a lot of resources to get all services and programs started, so just disable some start up programs and load them when its finished booting up.

shizzle
19-04-2009, 12:28 PM
I guess on start up Windows needs a lot of resources to get all services and programs started, so just disable some start up programs and load them when its finished booting up.
But I don't know what program is causing the black screen.

Agnostic Bear
19-04-2009, 07:38 PM
But I don't know what program is causing the black screen.

It's not a program, it's Windows loading up, nothing else is loaded apart from some antivirus and other programs that hook into the kernel bootup sequence. It's just a slow computer is all.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!