PDA

View Full Version : Is this a forum or an English lesson?

Eckuii
16-04-2009, 08:30 PM
anyone?

buttons
16-04-2009, 08:31 PM
DAMN you didn't have any spelling mistake that I could correct :'(

and so it seems really.

dirrty
16-04-2009, 08:32 PM
english lesson

Hushie
16-04-2009, 08:32 PM
English lesson!

Capitalise n00b!

Eckuii
16-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Lol. I usually wouldn't bother but seems everybody thinks we are on an English lesson I might try ;).

Hushie
16-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Well done (y)

RyanDOT
16-04-2009, 08:37 PM
English lesson
Sorted.

LoveToStack
16-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Lol. I usually wouldn't bother but seems everybody thinks we are on an English lesson I might try ;).

Far as I'm concerned if you're in an argument and both sides points have been valid up to the point where the other person comments about your spelling; you've won and are free to leave the argument. And to most probably recieve neutral rep or accidental +rep, both of which happen to me often.

dirrty
16-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Sorted.
nope, i prefer how it was originally thanks.

Sly
16-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I concur

Mikey
16-04-2009, 09:01 PM
An English lesson.
:D

Laggings
16-04-2009, 11:52 PM
It's an English lesson, seriously.

(Find something wrong with that sentence!)

Sly
16-04-2009, 11:53 PM
u sed it

DiscoPat
17-04-2009, 12:17 AM
depends on the worlds strongest man

GommeInc
17-04-2009, 12:19 AM

Technically it should be:

"It's an English lesson, seriously (find something wrong with this sentence)!"

Having a line between the two suggests the first section "It's an English lesson, seriously" isn't directly connected to the sentence inside the brackets. Also, having "(find something wrong with that sentence)" in brackets means it should be connected with something infront of the brackets, and since there is nothing, the information present in the sentence is void.

Just mentioning that, so don't think I do that all the time ;) It's incredibly annoying when someone pointlessly posts with spelling corrections though.

Laggings
17-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Nice Gomme :P

Jordy
17-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Some people do have awful grammar though, I saw someone spell 'generally', 'jenrilly' on Facebook earlier, what the hell is going on there?

As somebodies already mentioned, if people begin correcting grammar then they've lost the argument as it basically means they have no valid points and need to begin personal and pedantic attacks.

But yes it is very annoying, especially when the person correcting them doesn't have perfect grammar as well. When I ran a fansite I used to have people applying to be a news reporter 'I have good grammer'. Never fails to make me laugh :P

Neil
17-04-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm quite certain you don't need a capital e in english because it's not a name or a place so you don't need the capital e, not really too sure though.

SoraUS
17-04-2009, 02:00 AM
I'm quite certain you don't need a capital e in english because it's not a name or a place so you don't need the capital e, not really too sure though.
Yes, you do. English is the best language, the majiscule emphasises this fact xx

Blinger1
17-04-2009, 02:06 AM
It doesn't bother me if someone spells something wrong.. or if they use a small i instead of a capital..

but what bothers me if someone writes a huge paragraph of text and there is no spacing, or little spacing.. for instance something LIKE this (i was just searching for this as an example..):

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."

camera
17-04-2009, 03:49 PM
both tbh

N!ck
17-04-2009, 05:04 PM
It's fine if someone makes little mistakes or typos (which I make all of the time), but people getting their "there", "their" and "they're" confused and people who don't know how to use the words "borrow" and "lend" properly really hack me off. General use of apostrophes as well, especially when people put them in where they shouldn't be.

leah
17-04-2009, 06:52 PM
It's a forum where members feel the need to correct others grammar.
It annoys me to see incorrect grammar anyway so well done to all the cheery pickers. :)

--ss--
18-04-2009, 01:00 PM
According to the rules of the internet all Forums are now monitored by English teachers and Exam boards looking for high levels of grammar and knowledge in the users.

Iyaaaaaaaaa

Bun
19-04-2009, 05:04 PM
i'd answer your question, but then it would be like a lesson, sir.

Ramones
19-04-2009, 07:01 PM
I can't tell whether this is a rhetorical question or not.

Roboevil
19-04-2009, 07:39 PM
You're all silly little *****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

TheEclipse
21-04-2009, 09:26 AM
It's not an English lesson but being able to communicate effectively is even *more* important online than offline. Plus it's really annoying to read badly written posts. I don't allow it on my sites.

Moh
21-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Depends on if it is formal or not. Formally, it should be "It is", not "It's".

Jord
21-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Its a game

Richie
21-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "is this a forum or an English lesson" but since i came to habbox my english has improved greatly.

CurtisJohns
21-04-2009, 04:20 PM
id agree lightly it does seem that way, people are always correcting me, most of the time it makes me laugh tho!

no waiii
22-04-2009, 03:50 PM
didnt read any posts cba to many

but whenever someone is losing in a arguement they start correcting peoples spellings lol or if they hate you they will also do it, one use did it to me for a while and i got it done to me a few times in a arguement aswell lol

GommeInc
22-04-2009, 04:11 PM
didnt read any posts cba to many

but whenever someone is losing in a arguement they start correcting peoples spellings lol or if they hate you they will also do it, one use did it to me for a while and i got it done to me a few times in a arguement aswell lol
It means they're losing the argument and are trying to gnit pick their way out of losing. Just ignore, simplez.

jackass
22-04-2009, 04:59 PM
'anyone?' should actually say 'Anyone?'.

And yes, this is an English lesson. :8

Absently
22-04-2009, 05:09 PM
eurgh, i used to always correct people. it's probably the most ignorant thing someone can do to you.

Crimson
22-04-2009, 05:38 PM
eurgh, i used to always correct people. it's probably the most ignorant thing someone can do to you.

Eurgh, I used to always correct people. It's probably the most ignorant thing that someone can do to you.

:D

Absently
22-04-2009, 05:48 PM
You are so mean. :'(

Swearwolf
22-04-2009, 05:52 PM
lol lol

Edited by MattGarner (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post pointless comments.

Ashley 12344
22-04-2009, 09:02 PM
It doesn't bother me if someone spells something wrong.. or if they use a small i instead of a capital..

but what bothers me if someone writes a huge paragraph of text and there is no spacing, or little spacing.. for instance something LIKE this (i was just searching for this as an example..):

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."

It annoys me when people post in a language I don't understand as well ;)

You may as well use proper English. Or something along the lines of. I noticed when I started typing pretty much properly it helped my typing at school/college.

Recursion
25-04-2009, 09:49 AM
It annoys me when people post in a language I don't understand as well ;)

You may as well use proper English. Or something along the lines of. I noticed when I started typing pretty much properly it helped my typing at school/college.

It's a placeholder language, your not meant to be able to understand it fool. ;)

buttons
25-04-2009, 10:05 AM
It's a placeholder language, your not meant to be able to understand it fool. ;)
you're***
see i don't mind spelling but when it comes to 'your' and 'you're' it's annoying because it's so basic and everyone gets it wrong =/

le harry
27-04-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "is this a forum or an English lesson" but since i came to habbox my english has improved greatly.

Habboxforum has taught you better English than school? Dude get a new school.

DJHype08
27-04-2009, 10:50 AM
I agree, so many people allways correct you it's un-real.

Hiro
27-04-2009, 12:51 PM
It's a forum as I assume no one on this forum has the documentation that actually allows them to teach.
You just get a lot of grammar Nazis on the internet, live with it.

Absently
27-04-2009, 02:16 PM
I agree, so many people allways correct you it's un-real.

*always.

Bun
27-04-2009, 03:15 PM
It's not an English lesson but being able to communicate effectively is even *more* important online than offline. Plus it's really annoying to read badly written posts. I don't allow it on my sites.
You think being able to communicate online is better than "offline"? Oh good lord, may society have mercy on you.

Jordy
27-04-2009, 03:46 PM
It's a forum as I assume no one on this forum has the documentation that actually allows them to teach.
You just get a lot of grammar Nazis on the internet, live with it.Just one image for you:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5857/spellingdictionarynazi.gif

And can people please stop correcting grammar within this thread, it never was funny but now it's been done about 10 times in this thread it's even more lame than usual. Anyone who corrects grammar is a hypocrite anyway as I could work my way through almost any users posts to find grammatical errors.

Please do not correct this post, it is NOT a challenge and it is NOT funny.

N!ck
28-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Just one image for you:

And can people please stop correcting grammar within this thread, it never was funny but now it's been done about 10 times in this thread it's even more lame than usual. Anyone who corrects grammar is a hypocrite anyway as I could work my way through almost any users posts to find grammatical errors.

Funny is entirely subjective. If I found it funny to correct you I would whether you thought it funny or not.

And please look for grammatical errors in my past posts. This does not include typing errors which I do all of the time and miss when I skim read before posting or the capitalisation of I in "I'm" and "I" as sometimes I just can't be bothered.

buttons
28-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Just one image for you:

You really shouldn't start a sentence with 'and' ......... :)

N!ck
28-04-2009, 06:20 PM
You really shouldn't start a sentence with 'and' ......... :)

That's what they tell us in school to stop the kids going "And I did this. And I did that", but when used in normal situations it's fine.

buttons
28-04-2009, 06:22 PM
yeah I know but if you're going to use it in exams etc you wouldn't get it marked right so may aswell start using it "properly" :P

Jordy
29-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Funny is entirely subjective. If I found it funny to correct you I would whether you thought it funny or not.

And please look for grammatical errors in my past posts. This does not include typing errors which I do all of the time and miss when I skim read before posting or the capitalisation of I in "I'm" and "I" as sometimes I just can't be bothered.Nick, although my grammar may not be perfect as you've 'helpfully' pointed out, it is however readable.

Do these words mean nothing to you? Please do not correct this post, it is NOT a challenge and it is NOT funny.

I also said that I could find grammar mistakes in any users posts, not that I'm prepared to. If you don't think I'm capable of doing that then I'm cool with that.

You really shouldn't start a sentence with 'and' ......... :)Thanks for the clarification Buttons :rolleyes:

N!ck
29-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Nick, although my grammar may not be perfect as you've 'helpfully' pointed out, it is however readable.

Do these words mean nothing to you? Please do not correct this post, it is NOT a challenge and it is NOT funny.

I also said that I could find grammar mistakes in any users posts, not that I'm prepared to. If you don't think I'm capable of doing that then I'm cool with that.

Thanks for the clarification Buttons :rolleyes:

I did not correct your post. The "challenge" you were referring to was the correction of your post.

again, funny is subjective. Just because you find something funny doesn't mean I do and vice versa.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!