PDA

View Full Version : Replace Sempron 2400+ Processor

mb-group.net
17-04-2009, 04:10 PM
I have a Windows Vista box with a AMD Sepron 2400+ 1.68GHz Processor and i'd like to upgrade it. I didn't build the computer so I don't know what board is in side there, but from research I have found it is a Socket A processor.

Can you please recommend some more powerful alternatives? I'm on a budget so cheap is what I want :)

Thank you!

paul4wolves
17-04-2009, 04:20 PM
if you know is socket A then just go on ebay and search for it, get cpu-z and check the board to see if it can handle Dual or Quad core because I would get Dual ir Quad because they are way better than single core. Also you need to watch out for your power supply. If you have less than a 300 Watt one I wouldn't recommend you get Quad because it would blow your PSU but you could get a new one for £20 or so off ebay.

Also you need to find out if your board takes AMD or Intel Proccessors.

In fact, Socket A boards are pretty old tbf and I think it would be better to buy a new board with proccessor because I think they only go up to 2.5GHZ anyway. Don't hold me to that <<

N!ck
17-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Post some juicy CPU-Z details please. http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Your best bet is probably going to be eBay. They don't sell new socket A's anymore I don't think. The best socket A CPU is an Athlon 3200+, but you're going to pay for it. Maybe look for a 3000+ or 2800+. You need to make sure your motherboard is compatible first though.

I probably wouldn't even bother spending any money on an ond PC like that TBH, but it's your choice.

benno123
18-04-2009, 05:47 AM
Socket A is fairly old, so you're going to have a pretty hard time finding a better cpu. I don't think it would be worth upgrading it because unless you can find another socket a cpu, then it would turn into a pretty expensive upgrade buying stuff just for a new motherboard with a newer socket.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!