PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think?

redtom
20-04-2009, 05:03 PM
I haven't really bothered to post any of my designs so this is a first in a long time, anyway I'm trying to create a design for my portfolio (This is like the 10th portfolio design this month) but I can't seem to get anything what I like. I made this today, I'm not really sure whether to scrap or go with it, so what do you lot think?

Index Page (http://www.tehupload.com/uploads/102704b48ca24dcindex2.png)

Index Page (http://www.tehupload.com/uploads/027524b48ca24dcindex.png) (Slightly Different Background)

About Page (http://www.tehupload.com/uploads/345744b48ca24dcabout.png) (basically every page apart from the index will be a js pop up)

The idea behind it is I wanted something different from most portfolios.

EDIT: I should of added a poll but I can't now anyway, can you say if I should scrap it, use it with the first bg or use it with the 2ed, thanks

Meti
20-04-2009, 05:26 PM
What I think?
- I think it looks great.

But I don't like the about page alot.

Kipp
20-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Like the designs, I think it looks good.

DeejayMachoo$
20-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Hey tom :)

I normally love your designs but the colors on the back of this one hurt my eyes and stick out more than the content which is never good, and the part where all over pages are in a JS popup what about people who don't have JS enabled browsers?

Fehm
20-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Love the transparency on the frames! :)
Love it, its awesome, welldone! :)

DuxRawr
20-04-2009, 06:54 PM
how do you do that background with all the different colours ?

:)

redtom
20-04-2009, 06:55 PM
What I think?
- I think it looks great.

But I don't like the about page alot.

Thanks, is it the whole idea of the JS pop up or is it just the design of the page, I didn't really spend anytime on that at all and should probably re-design it.

Like the designs, I think it looks good.

Cheers, anything you didn't like?

Hey tom :)

I normally love your designs but the colors on the back of this one hurt my eyes and stick out more than the content which is never good, and the part where all over pages are in a JS popup what about people who don't have JS enabled browsers?

Hmm... I kinda see where you coming from I tend to say that all the time to people I supose I should take my own advise but I wanted the site to stand out but maybe the background wasn't the right way to go about it, I'll see what other people have to say and I might try another design.

Around about 2% of things browsing the web don't have JS enabled, and most of them are broswing from thing that wouldn't be able to view my site anyway (EG, mobile browsers) and then theres the bots, so in actual fact theres only a very small amount of people who actualy have JS disabled on the computer they browse the web with, and I don't really think I would get anymore then one person if that viewing the site with out JS, plus I'll be adding something to tell them to activate JS or the site wont function properly, just for that one guy.

Thanks

Love the transparency on the frames! :)
Love it, its awesome, welldone! :)

Thanks.

Anymore comments would be great :)

EDIT:

how do you do that background with all the different colours ?

:)

With allot of spare time :) haha basically I opened up a blank doc and started off with a very long and narrow rectangle (with a gradient) and just copied and pasted them with a opacity of 5-50% (changed it all the time) changing the colour slightly now and then and making them longer each time and moving them just a few pixels to the right of the previous.

Johno
21-04-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't particularly like the implementation of some of the elements, but I like the concept.

I feel that the background image is quite brash, perhaps something more similar to this:

http://i40.tinypic.com/11u8cit.jpg
On the "About" page I feel that a nice sans-serif font would work better as introducing a serif on this kinda layout feels out of place.

Finally, I think you should increase the size of the fonts on the header and then I think it would look pretty nice! :)

redtom
21-04-2009, 05:28 PM
I don't particularly like the implementation of some of the elements, but I like the concept.

I feel that the background image is quite brash, perhaps something more similar to this:

http://i40.tinypic.com/11u8cit.jpg
On the "About" page I feel that a nice sans-serif font would work better as introducing a serif on this kinda layout feels out of place.

Finally, I think you should increase the size of the fonts on the header and then I think it would look pretty nice! :)

Thats for the tips :)

I tryed changing the background with what you suggested and a few other things but none of them work, most of them you couldn't see as the content covered them so the layout just looked black, I'll try a few more things but I think I'm just going to scrap this design anyway. I'll be changing the fonts for the extra pages if in the end i decide to do anything with it and I'll give ss a shot, as for the header size what do you mean? the links? or the 'portfolio of...', I didn't bother using giant type for the 'portfolio of' bit as it just looked stupid along side the much small buttons to the right.

Johno
21-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Sorry, should have been a little clearer :)

I think since its like a personal portfolio there should be a bit more emphasis on your name so if you increase the size of your name (which I think would look a bit better, not by much though) and increase the size of "Portfolio of" slightly too, relative to the increase of your name :)

redtom
21-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Sorry, should have been a little clearer :)

I think since its like a personal portfolio there should be a bit more emphasis on your name so if you increase the size of your name (which I think would look a bit better, not by much though) and increase the size of "Portfolio of" slightly too, relative to the increase of your name :)

Okay I'll change that in a bit, thanks

btw this;

Thats for the tips

was suppost to be thanks instead of thats :P

Protege
30-04-2009, 01:04 PM
http://discountproru.com

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!