PDA

View Full Version : retainer after braces

mike475
20-04-2009, 09:11 PM
i got my braces of today after 13 months, and my teeth now look the sex :P

then my orthadontist went on about retainers. she said i'd need two types, one for the top which would be a wire going across, and a clear one for the bottom.

could someone please give me some ideas on what to expect from these retainers, and anything else they know please?

im like really worried about getting food stuck in it and i cant get it out, and i've heard stuff about kissing with retainers to ? argghhh my girl friend ! :(

cheers guyss :(

Jackk
20-04-2009, 09:17 PM
i thought you only wear retainers at night when you sleep after having braces on?

Nicola
20-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I hated my retainers tbh. I couldn't eat with them ;| but i wore them at night.
Seriously wear them as much as you can though, i regret not wearing mine enough.

mike475
20-04-2009, 09:20 PM
i thought you only wear retainers at night when you sleep after having braces on?
naa you wear them all the time except for when you eat so i've heard?
but i need help ;[

im scared.
getting them wednesday afternoon :(

Jord
21-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Take it out while making out :p

@K
21-04-2009, 02:46 PM
I hated my retainers tbh. I couldn't eat with them ;| but i wore them at night.
Seriously wear them as much as you can though, i regret not wearing mine enough.

I totally agree with everything you said ^^^, I had mine for my lower jaw because it didn't grow as fast as it should have done. I reckon if I could get another amde I'd wear it for about 6 months and my jaw would be perfect.

Melsia
21-04-2009, 03:43 PM
I had a really horrible one which I could hardly breath in, so wore it for as little time as I could get away with.
i also have a permanant one behind my front teeth which isn't at all noticable and probably why my teeth are still nice :D

le harry
22-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Try and get the wire for top and bottom. It's fantastic. I've had the wires in for 3 years now and seriously I don't notice it one bit. It's apart of my mouth now and i'd rather it stay in then be out. All these other people had rubbish orthodontists / they're crap irl if they couldn't eat n stuff ;s. If you don't wear your retainer, your teeth will move back to where they originally were so it's vital you wear it every night. I broke my clear retainers a few times hence why I just resorted to the wire and I don't regret it one bit.

help23
22-04-2009, 07:28 PM
I wore my retainer for the first month all the time and then i was like to hell with this and only wore it at night for the next 2 months then i lost it. My teeth are still perfect. Im not an orthadontist tho so i guess you just have to do what they say. at first you lisp alot but then after like 2 days that goes. as long as the retainers dont feel tight against your teeth when you put them on i sugest wearing them 1 day then night take a break for a day then night and wear them again the next day. still you should try and wear them all the time where you arent going to be embaressed.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!