PDA

View Full Version : ****

Fez
25-04-2009, 03:57 PM
PS3 decided to cut out today. Was playing a match on COD5, and it decided to just cut out. Checked the leads first, then switched it on. Yellow light, then red flashes. It's *******. Not happy.

So I've waited around 10 minutes, cleaned out the leads, cleaned out every inch of the ventilation, but it must be something inside that's died.

What do I do now? I can find the number for Sony but what about my trophies, my save data? I heard you can pay £50 for Sony to put your old HDD in a new PS3, but how do I pay them.

Jibbish
25-04-2009, 04:04 PM
yours trophies are stored on the server unless you havent synced them

Sunny.
25-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Ring sony up if you have had it for less than a year. You get a free console delivered in a few days.

About the HD you can do it yourself. Theres a little compartment in the side. Take off the cover and it just slides in and out. Literaly slides in and out.

You can tell sony over the phone ur doing it and they wont mind. Then when you get ur new ps3 tell the guy tht uve taken the hd out and give him the one tht comes in the new ps3. SIMPLEZ

Stitch
26-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Was it a 60GB model? I must see about 2-3 people on the PlayStation forums saying their 60GB got the YLOD every day. It's ridiculous. Sony might want to charge you £145 (I think thats it) for a replacement which sounds annoying. There is a way of fixing it if you search on YouTube but it involves opening the console up and replacing parts.

I've heard that the hard drive has to be formatted if you use it in a new PS3 so I'm not sure if taking it out and keeping it will work :(

J0SH
26-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Unlucky, atleast you've got a Xbox 360 to play if you do have to send yours off or what not.

Oleh
26-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Good job i hardly play on mine :), cos my mum wouldnt fork £145 on repairs

Fez
26-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Ring sony up if you have had it for less than a year. You get a free console delivered in a few days.

About the HD you can do it yourself. Theres a little compartment in the side. Take off the cover and it just slides in and out. Literaly slides in and out.

You can tell sony over the phone ur doing it and they wont mind. Then when you get ur new ps3 tell the guy tht uve taken the hd out and give him the one tht comes in the new ps3. SIMPLEZ

I've had it for more than a year :(.

Are you sure I can just say "HEY, I TOOK OUT THE HARD DRIVE, DO YOU MIND?", have you done this before?

Was it a 60GB model? I must see about 2-3 people on the PlayStation forums saying their 60GB got the YLOD every day. It's ridiculous. Sony might want to charge you £145 (I think thats it) for a replacement which sounds annoying. There is a way of fixing it if you search on YouTube but it involves opening the console up and replacing parts.

I've heard that the hard drive has to be formatted if you use it in a new PS3 so I'm not sure if taking it out and keeping it will work :(

60 GB model. I don't have £145 spare and probably won't have for a lot of months. I'm not gonna risk fixing it by just watching yutub. HDD thing sounds annoying.

Oleh
29-04-2009, 06:25 AM
i think they charge £145 to fix em because A) They hardly break B) They dont produce the 60GB models anymore

Jordan3606
06-05-2009, 05:13 PM
https://continuousplay.co.uk/

You could take out PS3 insurance at continuous play and claim for a new one, but make sure you dont claim right after signing up. I'd leave it 3 or 4 weeks and then claim, because otherwise they catch you out for signing up purely to get it replaced for a fiver :P

Also, if you do decide to do Continuous Play, dont call up the Sony careline and attempt to get a free replacement, because they log that, then when you try and take out continuous play, they might refuse because they know your console has already broken.

Its not very convenient, but if you really cant afford £145 for a replacement, then its an option I guess. I've heard on the Official PS forums that its quite good, but there are the horror stories of getting refused, as explained above :P

Jack.Lfc
11-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Hehe search on youtube glisky, theres a video and tut on how to fix, requires taking it to bits tho, done it on mine and it works soundd.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!