PDA

View Full Version : Can someone put this in plain English?

Absently
27-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Humanism is a broad category of ethical philosophies that affirm the dignity and worth of all people, based on the ability to determine right and wrong by appealing to universal human qualities, particularly rationality, without resorting to the supernatural or alleged divine authority from religious texts. It is a component of a variety of more specific philosophical systems. Humanism can be considered as a process by which truth and morality is sought through human investigation; as such, views on morals can change when new knowledge and information is discovered. In focusing on the capacity for self-determination, humanism rejects transcendental justifications, such as a dependence on faith, the supernatural, or texts of allegedly divine origin. Humanists endorse universal morality based on the commonality of the human condition, suggesting that solutions to human social and cultural problems cannot be parochial.

k it's just a bunch of jibberish to me. help pleasee. much appreciated :)

LoveToStack
27-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Humanism; moral belief based on rational thinking rather than a god, creationism theory.
Morals within this belief system are suseptable to change based on the results of research carried out as part of the 'rational thinking'.
Blablabla god isnt real, neither are ghosts or bibles, find inner peace yourself rather than relying on 'religion' higher power etc.

That's what I got. I spent most of my time in philosophy making origami birds, I'm sure it shows here.

cocaine
27-04-2009, 07:32 PM
humanisation is a wide variety of beliefs that consider the dignity and worth of people, decided by their ability to judge whether something is right or wrong by referring to their characteristics, such as being able to be rational, without needing to refer to the supernatural or from religious materials (such as the bible). Humanisation is a part of a variety of more specific belief systems. it can be considered a process by which truth and morality is sought through human investigation; and views on morals change when when new information and knowledge is found.

thats about as far as i got haha. im not gonna attempt the rest. bearing in mind i doubt thats bang on correct lol, some parts i left in because they make sense anywayy.

Absently
27-04-2009, 07:34 PM

N!ck
27-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Humanism is a broad category of ethical philosophies that affirm the dignity and worth of all people, based on the ability to determine right and wrong by appealing to universal human qualities, particularly rationality, without resorting to the supernatural or alleged divine authority from religious texts. It is a component of a variety of more specific philosophical systems. Humanism can be considered as a process by which truth and morality is sought through human investigation; as such, views on morals can change when new knowledge and information is discovered. In focusing on the capacity for self-determination, humanism rejects transcendental justifications, such as a dependence on faith, the supernatural, or texts of allegedly divine origin. Humanists endorse universal morality based on the commonality of the human condition, suggesting that solutions to human social and cultural problems cannot be parochial.

k it's just a bunch of jibberish to me. help pleasee. much appreciated :)

Humanism is a wide collection of different ethical beliefs. It is mainly based on the idea that we are able to determine right from wrong due to our own opinions, rather than it being due to a supernatural reason as inferred by religion. Humanism can be considered as us seeking truth through our own investigation, meaning our beliefs can be changed when we acquire new knowledge. Because it looks at discovering things yourself it rejects the ideas of faith and the supernatural. Since we all have this in common our social and cultural problems can not be solved by religion.

My interpretation of it.

RedStratocas
28-04-2009, 05:41 AM
lol, right when i read the first sentence i could tell this was pulled from wikipedia.

i think its pretty straight forward, its basically about relying on your experiences and reasonable thinking rather than mythical thinking, aka religion. while beliefs in religion arent supposed to change no matter what (for example, people who believe the earth is 6000 years old because the bible says so, and disregard evidence that says its far older than that), humanism is about adapting to current knowledge, like how we discovered dinosaur bones that were millions of years old.

Cypher-
28-04-2009, 07:17 AM
We were doing a uni lesson that included humanism yesterday in class and basically what we were told yesterday was that humanism put one person at the centre of it all, it was born during the renaissance time where individuals didnt matter, the birth of humanism (from holland) I think changed all that.

GommeInc
28-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Urgh, Wikipedia shouldn't allow people to write the articles on there like that. If people could read that, they probably don't need Wikipedia for that information. It should be dumbed down for the dumb majority.

leah
28-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Urgh, Wikipedia shouldn't allow people to write the articles on there like that. If people could read that, they probably don't need Wikipedia for that information. It should be dumbed down for the dumb majority.
lol not the dumb majority, normal people would be a better description.

RedStratocas
28-04-2009, 01:27 PM

well you can get a better understanding of it if you click the links and understand each thing they are talking about. cause they arent going to explain each individual thing that they say in the article, cause thats not what the article is about. like, if they were to say in an article about rocketships that astronauts use them, they're not going to explain what an astronaut is, they're just going to assume you know. and if you don't know, you can click the link on "astronauts" and find out.

if it were dumbed down for normal people to understand right away, it would have to be pretty ridiculously long to retain the same amount of information.

GommeInc
28-04-2009, 01:34 PM
The people who dumbed it down did a pretty good job at it, and there's no harm in adding a few bytes of added information without having to have viewers go through the tedious maze of Wikipedia trying to find answers. And isn't that who Wikipedia is aimed at, the dumb majority OR normal people (Leah ;)) who are trying to find information? It's probably alot easier to simplify the articles when dumbing down, it does look more like waffle to fill up the spaces rather than to inform people.

Describe
28-04-2009, 05:37 PM
humanisation is a wide variety of beliefs that consider the dignity and worth of people, decided by their ability to judge whether something is right or wrong by referring to their characteristics, such as being able to be rational, without needing to refer to the supernatural or from religious materials (such as the bible). Humanisation is a part of a variety of more specific belief systems. it can be considered a process by which truth and morality is sought through human investigation; and views on morals change when when new information and knowledge is found.

thats about as far as i got haha. im not gonna attempt the rest. bearing in mind i doubt thats bang on correct lol, some parts i left in because they make sense anywayy.

Use that one if you're writing it down in class or as homework, gd job cocaine.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!