PDA

View Full Version : 3way lan help

Jongo
07-05-2009, 11:03 PM
right, some of my mates are coming round tomorrow for an esl match with their PC's, so my pc included there will be 3 of them. i have the regular netgear wireless router from sky and am on the supposed 18gb package. with having 3 PC's on it, what kind of speeds can we expect if both are fully streaming on multiplayer games? is the router liable to crash or anything because i really don't want to ruin the whole intention of them coming round. are internet speeds like split between the three computers so like we will get around 6GB each speeds if maxxed out at 18GB connection?

basically i'm asking for advice whether you think my router will be able to handle it or will i need more equipment?

N!ck
07-05-2009, 11:24 PM
It should be fine. And I think you mean 16Mbps? It would be best if they were all plugged into the router via ethernet rather than wireless also.

Stephen!
07-05-2009, 11:47 PM
It should be fine. Your pings will be higher than usual though, especially if you're using the wireless.

mat64
08-05-2009, 01:13 AM
I had some friends round not to long ago for a small LAN weekend. There were only three of us like in your situation. To be honest I didn't notice a great deal of difference in terms of ping when we were all playing together, ranging something 30-55 which is perfectly acceptable really. We did all use ethernet connections though, wireless can create horrible lag if there is just one heavy user on your network. Even if you have to trail cables all over the house, it's worth the hassle to avoid a future headache if you were to use wireless connections.

Berch
08-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah it should be fine with that internet connection as been said your pings will be slightly higher than usual but overall it should be fine and if possible ethernet would be better than wireless in this case if you could all get on Ethernet.

Chaos
08-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Should work pretty well my brothers got wireless xbox an so do i.

I got my computer and hes got a laptop and a main comp my mum uses.

When all 5 things on net at same time dont lag much at all tbh.

.z4.
08-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Should be perfectly fine.
I'm on the 20meg package, and it been super, i have 6 PC'S, 2PDA'S, WII,2x xBox 360's Connected and even if all on its very hard to once anything.

As long as you have a good connection to your wireless router, you should be great..

Me mates have a lot of lans and normally there's about 12 pcs/laptops connected, and when we have xBox 360's around theres sometimes more, or less

Lol, should be fine..

Thanks Tom!

Jongo
09-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Yeah it was absolutely fine, infact they even said it was better than their home connection when only they were connected.

I just brought the router downstairs so that we could connect with ethernet cables instead, but there was 2 laptops upstairs wirelessly but the 18mb seemed to spread out pretty evenly and it was a success. Apart from the fact my mum didn't tell me she needed the room downstairs for my brothers party so they had to leave this morning it was a pretty good night.

Cheers everyone!

Stephen!
09-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Man, you're lucky. I don't have any PC gamer friends so no LAN parties for me.. They all play 360's. Console scum!

Jongo
09-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Man, you're lucky. I don't have any PC gamer friends so no LAN parties for me.. They all play 360's. Console scum!Yeah it's a bit different when you're in the same room as them rather than speaking to them on vent/xfire ain't it haha! Yeah we've known each other for ages though, so it's all good.

Stephen!
09-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Im thinking of going to one of those official organised lanparties where hundreds of people go. Only problem is i'm gonna have to wait until I can drive and have a car.

mat64
09-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Im thinking of going to one of those official organised lanparties where hundreds of people go. Only problem is i'm gonna have to wait until I can drive and have a car.I'd love to go to one of the Mulitplay I-Series LAN events, I'm in the same situation as you though :P. So for now it's going to have to be small friend LANs, which are just as good.

Stephen!
09-05-2009, 06:09 PM
My battlefield clan is going to I37 in august. I would have loved to go with them

Jongo
09-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Im thinking of going to one of those official organised lanparties where hundreds of people go. Only problem is i'm gonna have to wait until I can drive and have a car.ah!

I went to i36 in coventry in april, I enjoyed i35 more but the experience is all good as almost everyone is there for a good time and a laugh. Besides all the complaints of tent racing, a power shortage, people having sex in the tents and one of our team mates getting totally trashed we were forced to leave the tournament - it was good.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!