PDA

View Full Version : Strange internet thing.

Nemo
08-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Well basically, ill be happily on the pc, playing a game or whatever, and my mum will be wondering why her internet is working.

Basically she cant web browse and neither can i (just randomly), but the weird thing is, is that i can still play an online game (Eg. WoW). Now i can fix this by turning off my router for 30 secs and then on again but its annoying and strange.

Zak
08-05-2009, 05:00 PM
WoW is run from a disc right?

all i can think is your broadband has disconnected or is having trouble reconnecting again. Turning off the router and turning it back on is an easy way to fix this (like you do)

Although if you were online on WoW you should have been disconnected too. That however might not be the case as its files are stored on the disc?? :S

Nemo
08-05-2009, 05:12 PM
WoW is run from a disc right?

all i can think is your broadband has disconnected or is having trouble reconnecting again. Turning off the router and turning it back on is an easy way to fix this (like you do)

Although if you were online on WoW you should have been disconnected too. That however might not be the case as its files are stored on the disc?? :S
WoW isn't stored on a disc which is why im baffled.

Swinkid
08-05-2009, 11:45 PM
wow wont d/c you inless ur disconnected for like 10 mins. You just get real bad latency.

mat64
09-05-2009, 09:52 PM
I had a similar problem not too long ago, as did a friend of mine. This seems to be an issue with your router, the problem I was having was that my router seemed to close ports and wouldn't reopen them until it was restarted. This might be the case with you, for example it will close port 80, as it's inactive but won't close 3724 as it's currently active, this is just a theory of mine though. However I'm not sure of a solution as I eventually just gave up and bought a new Linksys router as did my friend. I'll see what I can dig up though.

Nemo
09-05-2009, 09:56 PM
wow wont d/c you inless ur disconnected for like 10 mins. You just get real bad latency.My latency isnt affected either.

I had a similar problem not too long ago, as did a friend of mine. This seems to be an issue with your router, the problem I was having was that my router seemed to close ports and wouldn't reopen them until it was restarted. This might be the case with you, for example it will close port 80, as it's inactive but won't close 3724 as it's currently active, this is just a theory of mine though. However I'm not sure of a solution as I eventually just gave up and bought a new Linksys router as did my friend. I'll see what I can dig up though.
So theres no solution?

mat64
09-05-2009, 10:01 PM
So theres no solution?I wouldn't go as far as to say that. What router do you use?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!